• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingOvertime

Callahan Having a Good Year

Rate this topic

Mitchell Callahan is having a very good year thus far. He has a team leading 25 points in 20 games (he was also kicked out of one), and also has 5 fighting majors. He's looking more and more like he will be able to contribute offensively and physically in a Wings' sweater a few years from now. I'd like to see him in the AHL next year, and possibly getting some games the next. While the Wings don't like to rush prospects, his style is unique in the system.

Here's a link to his fights- http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/8849/fightcard/reg2011

Here's a link to his stats- http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/838

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Guest Heaten

He's small but should develop into a decent 4th line forward if he improves his skating ability. He's not really an intimidating hitter though (so I read). Glad he is doing well but it's a bit early to get too excited.

Edited by Heaten

Callahan is going to be a future fan favorite in Detroit, and I see him being a great role player for us or a support player in the top 6 much like Cleary often is (or used to be) for Z&D. Since Callahan has been drafted his ceiling has been getting higher and higher. I can see him on the Wings roster in 13-14 and I look forwards to it.

Edited by cjm502

He's small but should develop into a decent 4th line forward if he improves his skating ability. He's not really an intimidating hitter though (so I read). Glad he is doing well but it's a bit early to get too excited.

He's improved greatly since his draft year. I don't think anyone expects him to be a ppg player in the NHL, but his offensive ability is greatly improving. He is a lot like Rypien size wise, and may have a bit more of an offensive touch. As a 6th rounder it is hard to make an NHL squad, so it's good to see him having such an impressive year. Not many fighters/agitators/etc lead their team in scoring. I'd love to see him on the Wings' fourth line sometime within the next four years.

Guest Stolberg

i don't know, putting up points like that in the whl isn't exactly something to get excited about.

Edited by Stolberg

Guest Heaten

i don't know, putting up points like that in the whl isn't exactly something to get excited about.

That's what I'm thinking. Remember the Maltby story; he was a high scoring forward in OHL... but never scored more than 14 goals in the NHL. However, if Callahan has a fraction of a career like Maltby, then he's a worthy pick for sure.

I don't expect Callahan to be much more than a 4th liner in his prime (if he even makes the NHL). Personally, I'm more disappointed that Callahan isn't a big hitter than I am happy about his points. I hope he picks up his hitting and agitator game... that will be his bread and butter in the big league if he makes it.

Edited by Heaten