All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

This is why I believe it will only be the teams that believe they're legit contenders that will be in on the Karlsson sweepstakes. I don't think it's just a matter of Ottawa allowing it though. I think it's against the CBA, and I'm too lazy to read through to figure it out too. Anyone with a better understanding on this want to chime in? Those players' rights were traded in the summer they were a UFA though. I'm sure Dorion would accept a late round pick in return for Karlsson's negotiating rights if he were a UFA now, and knew he couldn't get a deal done. That's why he's trying to make a trade now. He knows next summer will be no different, and Karlsson won't re-sign in Ottawa.
  3. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

You misunderstand. I'm not arguing that that is what should happen. I'm saying that's the kind of thing we should hope for out of the kids. We shouldn't be deliberately making the team worse just to give them an easy road. You say the roster is garbage, but you still traded away one of our best forwards and don't want to sign a 50p player just to shoehorn in a couple of rookies. If you think Svech is so good, why do you have to remove all his competition? I don't think the lines would be given equal time, though if we had a good 4th line it would probably be more like 10-12 ES minutes. I would also see the lines as more fluid. I get it if you'd rather the lines just be set in stone, and if I were to go for that I'd probably change them a bit. Point is, I'm trying to fill the lineup with better players. If that includes the kids, great. But if they aren't better, they shouldn't be there.
  4. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Unfortunately, I don't have the patience to dig through the CBA at the moment. Yeah I think any team would and should want to speak with Karlsson before finalizing the trade. It is risky to a complete a trade of this size with a UFA period right around the corner. And if Ottawa wants the deal done, I'd think they'd allow it. I don't remember a single player whose had their rights traded being anywhere near Karlsson level. Usually they're traded for a low level pick and the risk is fairly low. Which is probably why conversations never took place, like in the instance of Vanek and Wisniewski's rights being traded to the Isles, only to be shipped out again. Karlsson is not UFA yet though, he can always be traded again, if necessary, if he refuses to re-up with the Wings.
  5. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

I've heard of teams granting permission to speak with management / coaches while under contract, but never players. If a team wants negotiating rights with a player, their rights are usual traded in the offseason. But again, that doesn't guarantee both sides will strike a deal. The player can still opt to hit free agency. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding... Otherwise, wouldn't every team interested in Karlsson be trying to work out a handshake deal before any potential trade? I also believe it will take more than $9M to lock Karlsson up long term. Unless he's going to a team that has a legit shot to win. I don't think we can provide that. At least not in the near future...
  6. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

It definitely won’t hurt.. I do wonder what the hold up is. Maybe he just wants to talk to other teams then circle back like Stamkos did? Please this.
  7. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

IDK, but won't it be hilarious and so Islander-like if John decides to jet anyway after all these changes?
  8. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Will this gesture be enough to convince John to stay?
  9. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

I believe you can speak with the player when the team grants permission. The conversation could be as simple as: "Erik we want you to re-up long-term around the ballpark of 9 million AAV, are we a team you'd be willing to commit to?" If there's any hesitation you don't do the deal.
  10. RT @niko_angulo: ILLINOIS has construction on 59 ILLINOIS has construction on 90 ILLINOIS has construction on 94 ILLINOIS has construction…

11. Today
  12. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Was gonna lay low today but.......
  13. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

I disagree actually. I don't think Karlsson needs another phenomenal partner to be paired with him, he just needs a partner that compliments him. I firmly believe that player is Ericsson. Remember Karlsson/Methot... Methot was nothing to write home about alone, but together they were a fantastic pairing. Methot did the boring stay at home stuff that freed up Karlsson to wheel and deal. I very much think we can recreate that with Karlsson/Ericsson. Ericsson - Karlssson -------- I think that's a legit first pairing in this league Dekesyer - Daley ------------ Not a phenomenal 2nd pairing, but definitely not bad either. Kronwall - Jensen ------------ Jensen's mobility paired with Kronwall's skills and immobility could be an underrated 3rd pair Hicketts A player like Karlsson would simply change the entire face of our defense.
  14. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

I always hear "work out a deal before the trade", but is that even legal? Isn't it against the CBA to negotiate with a player under contract with another team? If we could work out some sort of handshake deal beforehand (again, I don't think we can), I don't think that package would be enough. I'm not saying your proposed package is too high a price to pay (likely the opposite), I'm saying it's too high a price to pay for any pending UFA.
  15. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Ok, but we better hope Cholowski and Hronek work out to one of them being a top pairing. They'd probably want us to take Bobby Ryan as well. In which I'd try to flip him back to Anaheim.
  16. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

1. Pray 2. Shun the non-believers 3. God answers prayers 4. Prophet?
  17. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

I knew you were an underpants gnome, I'd prefer a 4-point plan, though
  18. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Lol, that's why you work out a deal, on all but paper, with Karlsson before the trade is completed. You want generational talent, you gotta give. Ouellet, AA, and Svech wouldn't be missed at all. How much would you have demanded for 1999 Lidstrom? A kings ransom right? Our chances of drafting a player like Karlsson, even with high picks, is beyond slim. And players of his level almost never hit the market like this. We should be throwing the moon at Ottawa if we are at all interested.
  19. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

We still miss the playoffs and Karlsson walks after the season... Terrible trade. Smart. Hopefully Holland "stays the course" as well... I'd be open to signing Tavares or Carlson at the right price. Stay away from any other big name free agents / trades...
  20. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

1. Both our 1sts + Athanasiou + Svechnikov + Ouellet for Karlsson + whatever other depth players they need to lob in 2. Sign Kovy 3. Profit?
  21. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Are you praying for Karlsson or Kovy? Or are you praying against either of them? I think Karlsson will cost too much honestly. Not sure I'd be willing to see what it would cost. ...and I hate that I cannot watch videos on TSN.CA! UGH!
  22. 2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Please papa Holland make the Swedish man come home to us
  23. Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

I’d take a chance on Merkley with one of those picks if he’s available. I don’t know much about the kids attitude but his offensive ability might be close to the best in this draft. Im a big fan of having defenseman that can skate and handle the puck to get out of trouble.
  24. Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Just curious what people here think of Ryan Merkley. He's a top 5 talent offensively; thinks the game well, great skater, great hands, phenomenal passer, but is mediocre defensively and is said to have some "off ice issues". Because of this, I doubt the Wings would have any interest in him, but I think a kid that talented could be worth the gamble with one of our 30, 33, 36 picks (if he's still available). Merkley seems to be the definition of boom or bust potential. All the skill in the world, but may never put it all together, due to a "poor attitude"... Is this being overstated or is there legit reason for concern? I don't know, but coaches and teammates seem to talk highly of him. Not like they're going to bash him though... But if it's not coming from the people closest to him, I'd like to know where all the negative exposure is coming from... Is he worth the risk? I personally think he is, but know the Red Wings likely think otherwise.
  25. Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

I don't think we can lose on anyone of these picks unless Kenny falls flat on his face and trades back to the 3rd round.
  26. Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

i can see Kenny trying to get another top 15 pick , how? Talk of packaging AA with another roster player tbc with our Vegas 1st and see who bites.
  1. Load more activity