All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Rumors Thread

Correct. That's why I said "fun stuff". That trade single-handedly built the Avs mini-dynasty LOL! Mine too!
  3. Why are we better than last season?

I voted for the kids. It wasn't a choice, but I also wonder if the "streak" had anything to do with it. Last year the team was playing with the possibility that they could be the ones to end it hanging over their collective heads. Not good for dressing room morale for sure. By the trade deadline it was obvious that management had given up on the season and that couldn't have felt good to the guys. Now that the "streak" is over and the "rebuild" is on, there is less pressure and lowered expectations. The guys can just go out and play. I think that's also a part of it. Not really what you asked for, but I hope that's OK Kip.
  4. I'll take the blame for it. I kinda started it with my post. I certainly wasn't trying to troll anyone with it. I was poking fun at myself as much as anyone cuz I too thought Smith and Jurco were better. That said, I agree with you. It can be both. Smith and Jurco just weren't that good to begin with, and they were developed/used poorly. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
  5. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

Didn't even know there was a game on...seriously. This is how bad it's gotten. This team needs to gut $20M+ in bad contracts and players. I'm tired of watching them. Hopefully it's just a phase I'm going through.
  6. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

Sweet AA goal. That's about it for the positives.
  7. Today
  8. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

Sounds like I didn't miss much.
  9. A number of things spring to mind. 1) Smith's early foray was a perfect illustration of the Lidstrom effect. Apart from Chelios he made everyone look better. Ian White? Check. Dandenault? Check. Same with Brendan Smith. If Smith had been a few years older and could have had more time alongside Lidstrom he would have looked a 2-3 D-man for that time...particularly as.... 2) Smith's problem has never been a lack of heart or skill but rather passing and decision making. No coincidence that by far his best performances were alongside d-men who could pass well and who were both experienced and smart. Lidstrom. Kronwall. Green.The first two benefited from his skating, the latter from his slightly more abrasive edge. 3) Smith was never the sharpest tool in the box, on or off the ice. Seems like a nice lad, but doesn't look likely to trouble Mensa. 4) Smith was also hampered by crucial developmental years being under the pre-blash coaching debacle in Grand Rapids - did anyone really improve under Curt Fraser? Several declined. 5) Smith, as at NYR, was always twice the player in the playoffs. We all saw those performances and saw what he could bring if he could replicate that in the regular season - a solid top 4 guy. NYR fell into the same trap. On the Wings, a team now largely lacking in smart D-men, and too weak on the back line to shelter him, not to mention playoff outsiders, there really wasn't much merit in keeping him. for a player who had stalled, couldn't find the right partner and who only flourished at the time of the season that his regular season play didn't merit, the trade was a great one for the wings, and many at the time said exactly that. A shame that his initial flourish alongside his old college mate declined so quickly. On Jurco, that injury seemed to destroy his confidence and effectiveness. I suspect Babs' attempts to turn him into a power forward rather than a decent sized 3rd line skill player didn't help, but he has been worse every year since his NHL debut season. By the time he left us he looked so lost. For his last spell with us he was at least a more than PPG player at AHL level. Now he's not even that. Not seen a young player have such a solid upward trajectory until 22 have such a consistent downward one since then. For him to have dropped off his early promise so much can't just be on DRW despite Bab's questionable usage.
  10. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

Rangers win, 3-0. So there's that. I guess.
  11. Why are we better than last season?

I mean, if we're being really honest, the team doesn't appear to be significantly better than last year's team, at least in terms of results. Record is very similar through 21 games, we've had a pretty soft schedule in terms of the quality of our opponents (what are the best teams we've faced this season and how many of those games have we won?), we're still getting routinely outshot, we're still leaning too much on our goaltending, and we're probably headed for another bottom ten finish. But there are signs of improvement -- or at least reasons for cautious optimism -- in certain areas, which is good.
  12. Remember guys, this thread isnt about arguing about Smith/Jurco, its about the portfolio of a man who knows what a Bogel AND a Swensen are. And lets not forget he ALSO knows what an index fund is, AND an expense ratio? Lets NOT EVEN GET STARTED on a Roth IRA and a 401k!!!!!!! Lets all unite and just mock the ridiculousness of this thread. </thread> (learning my HTML!) </thread>
  13. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

On the bright (?) side, Ottawa losing in regulation tonight would put us back in third place in the division. Of course, we'd only be up by one point on Ottawa and they'll have two games in hand on on us. Sens trail the Rangers 0-2 with ten minutes left in the third.
  14. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

I just threw up in my mouth a little
  15. 3 goal Howard

Once more Howard allows a goal in the last few minutes of the game. Why oh why???? We have lost the lead so many games in those last few minutes.
  16. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

what an effort for that team of fat pigs in zebra outfit... how can you skate with you ******* eyes closed for most of the ******* game....
  17. Rumors Thread

Surprised it took seven pages. I almost put it in the OP.
  18. Rumors Thread

you know who else likes Fleetwood Mac?
  19. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

Can't PK and shotblock your way to victory. Wings played a stupid game tonight and won a stupid prize.
  20. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

What a friggin debacle. Wow..
  21. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

nice choke job
  22. Welp, I take back my earlier comment about this team not sucking. That's embarrassing.

23. 11/19 GDT - Avalanche at Red Wings - 6:00 PM EST

And we lose.
  1. Load more activity