All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Jonas Mahonas

Rumors Thread

Zetterberg might retire too.
  3. Jonas Mahonas

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

Karlsson was going to come to Detroit, but Yzerman said TMRH.
  4. Buppy

News From Around the NHL

AA has been a better goal scorer than Mantha. Mantha is better suited to the PP, but AA kills him at ES. AA has probably the best one-timer on the team, so it's possible he could become a focal point of our PP strategy now, and change that first part. It's possible Mantha will show that his end to the season was more than just a hot streak, but it's more likely that he just is what he is: A decent top-6 secondary scorer. He'll probably have better seasons statistically as the team improves, but probably won't actually get any better in terms of ability. That said, Risto is not good enough to be worth giving up important assets. While it might be enticing to dismiss his negatives as just being on a bad team, remember that a team is just a collection of individuals. If Buffalo is "bad", it's stands to reason that the guy playing 40% of the game is at least not that good himself. His relative numbers are generally poor as well. You might want to chalk it up to bad coaching, but his coach for two of last three seasons is our current assistant. This article is a bit old, but I don't think much has changed. Mantha, AA and Bert are going to be 25 this year. We have maybe four seasons of them at their peak, and maybe as many as four more before they decline too much. Larkin is not that much younger. We also want as much time as possible to allow for tweaks to the roster. Remember it was five years ago that TB went to the finals and everyone started saying they were on the cusp. They haven't been back since, and one year didn't even make the playoffs. A lot can go wrong in a season. We need to add as much as possible, as soon as possible, while losing as little as possible. Yes, it kind of sucks that we don't have good defensemen at their peak now that we have some forwards who are. But we don't have enough of those forwards to make trading one for a defenseman a net improvement. It's just trading one hole for another. If we want a scoring defenseman who isn't good defensively, Gardiner is still out there, or we could aim for Barrie (who's both better defensively and an actual elite scorer) next summer. Otherwise aim for cheap targets while hoping our kids develop quickly.
  5. Today
  6. Jonas Mahonas

Zadina Says It

This.
  7. Wheelchairsuperhero

Zadina Says It

It's a fair point, the AHL is a different beast and is much more disjointed. Elite players will adapt their game to the situation though and still find ways to produce, so that's what I'm hoping to see next season now that he's got this one under his belt, assuming he starts with the Griffins.
  8. mackel

Zadina Says It

It sounded like he was blaming his AHL teammates for his own lack of production this past season.
  9. mackel

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

They may not too... if Dallas is giving up on Honka and the cost is low... what's wrong with a reclamation project?
  10. amato

Zadina Says It

Did I miss something? Nothing in that article made it sound like Zadina didn't like specific linemates.. Just sounds like he wants to be on the wings. Which is expected. He should want to. This training camp/preseason will show if he's ready and he sounds like he knows it. The whole article just sounded par for the course for any top procpect imo.
  11. Yesterday
  12. krsmith17

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

I feel like I'm just repeating everything over and over again... One last time... *Again*, I think a pure goal scorer like Mantha is a much bigger need for this team than another top 4 right-handed defenseman like Ristolainen. *Again*, adding Trouba via free agency is a completely different situation than adding Ristolainen via trade. I'd be okay with adding a top 4 defenseman in their prime in free agency, but I'm not okay with trading our best goal scorer to fill what I believe is a lesser need for this team right now.
  13. krsmith17

News From Around the NHL

A "goal scorer" is a player that is known for his goal scoring. A "playmaker" is a player that is known for his playmaking. Does Larkin score goals? Yes. Is that what he's known for? No. Same goes for the rest of the guys you mentioned in my opinion. I'm not even touching the Ericsson comment... I never once said Larkin was one of our three goal scorers. The three goal scorers that I was referring to are Mantha, to a lesser extent, Athanasiou, and hopefully soon, Zadina.
  14. ChristopherReevesLegs

Rumors Thread

Larry Brooks - Rags & Trouba close to 7 year extension at $7.5 to $8 AAV
  15. ChristopherReevesLegs

News From Around the NHL

Yes my definition of a goal scorer is a player who scores a lot of goals. What's confusing about that to you? And yes if they get a lot of assists they can be a playmaker too... what bizzaro world did I just enter where you can only be one or the other? Stamkos had more assists than goals this year, is he in your eyes suddenly not a goal scorer anymore?? By your definition Jon Ericsson is a goal scorer based on this past season. I am confused. Is Larkin a goal scorer or not? Because in one instance you say he's not and the next he's one of our main 3... or did you mean Bertuzzi?
  16. krsmith17

News From Around the NHL

C'mon man, you can't be serious... Your definition of a goal scorer is any player that can score goals? I guess all those players are "playmakers" too because they can pass the puck / get assists?... My definition of a goal scorer would be a player that primarily score goals. None of those players are on the same level as our three "goal scorers" in my opinion.
  17. ChristopherReevesLegs

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

Much bigger holes? Like what? I guess we're passing on Trouba in FA next year then? Sounds like he won't be needed with the right side locked down already.
  18. krsmith17

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

I don't get that though. It's not better to have more right-handed defensemen. It's better to have a balance. I didn't say it's better to draft one than trade for one, I said that if the goal is to trade them later, it doesn't make sense to trade for them now. We currently have Seider and Hronek that should definitely be top 4 on the right side, then we have Bowey, Kaski, Lindstrom, Tuomisto, Regula, Barton that could fill that bottom pair. I just don't see the point in actively trying to add more right-handed defensemen via trade, when we have much bigger holes on this roster.
  19. ChristopherReevesLegs

News From Around the NHL

Scoring 32 goals doesn't make you a goal scorer? Rasmussen is literally known for most of his points being goals. Veleno scored nearly as many goals as Zadina did in juniors this year. Bertuzzi in his first breakout year had nearly as many goals as Mantha. Please enlighten me on what your arbitrary criteria for a goal scorer is. I was under the impression it's guys who score goals, but what'd I know eh.
  20. krsmith17

News From Around the NHL

So basically you think any forward is a "goal scorer"... Larkin is not a "goal scorer". Bertuzzi is not a "goal scorer". Rasmussen is not a "goal scorer". Veleno is not a "goal scorer". We have Mantha, Athanasiou and Zadina. That's it. Mantha being the best of the three as of now.
  21. ChristopherReevesLegs

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

Na I mean RHers are rarer than LHers and its better to have more than less in general. You said its better to draft a RH than trade for one. I have no clue as to why that would be.
  22. ChristopherReevesLegs

News From Around the NHL

Ok, we got Mantha, Larkin, AA, and Betuzzi who are all proficient at scoring goals. With Zadina, Rasmussen, and Veleno on the way. How many more goal scorers do we need to add?
  23. krsmith17

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

Because I assume when you say having too many good right-handed defensemen is a good thing, you mean, we can use them as trade chips later on. What's the point in trading for right-handed defensemen only to turn around and trade them again later?
  24. ChristopherReevesLegs

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

Hey the Owen Sound Attack needs another Dman next year. Let's find out.
  25. krsmith17

News From Around the NHL

Borderline stud? Again, that's where we disagree. I would say Trouba > Ristolainen. Also, the majority of the Trouba talk from me was pre-draft. Now that we have Seider and Hronek on the right side, I don't see a major need to add there. I'd still be open to signing Trouba as a free agent next summer (if he is a UFA at that time), but that's giving up no assets. It wouldn't be as big a blow if we didn't get him now anyway. What do we need more than defense right now? In my opinion, pure goal scorers. We have a lot of promising young players / prospects, but none that play the game Mantha does. Big, strong, power-forward that can snipe from anywhere. He will score 30, the only question for me is will he score 35+ on the regular. I think he could, and he showed what he is capable of in the last 30 games he played.
  26. ChristopherReevesLegs

News From Around the NHL

If Yzerman doesn't pull off Mantha for Risto it will be the biggest Wings gaf since Franzen over Hossa
  27. Dabura

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

Byram is great, but you have to wonder what Seider could've done as a CHLer. I'm guessing he would've dominated and there would've been much more HYPE! surrounding him. Same with Broberg, I guess, and to a lesser extent guys like Soderstrom and Heinola.
  28. xault

News From Around the NHL

Anyone not named Larkin, should be in play for Risto if the option is available in my opinion. Most of Risto flaws can be easily summed up in 3 reasons. 1.Buffalo 2.Buffalo 3.He's 24 The guy 24, hits and blocks everything that moves 6'4 220lb and can play huge mins with 4 straight season of 40+ points. Oh and just happens to shot right. He's a power play beast, god knows we need help on the power play.
  1. Load more activity