All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Jonas Mahonas

2019 Draft

I dont think the fans are looking for Yzerman to radically depart from Holland from a draft standpoint. Holland's only flaw in the draft part of the job is not balancing right handedness into the lineup. Not a big knock from most. I think fans are looking for Yzerman to drop the loyalty to average players element. Cleary, Miller, Ericsson, Abdelkader, Helm, etc. Handing out high dollar contracts with NTC/NMC to players that should be allowed to hit UFA seems to be what the fans want to get away from. I think the Red Wings handled this transition as good as it could be handled. Holland finally took his golden handshake after getting offered it twice. Believe me that Steve Yzerman will NOT need Hollands help. Yzerman knows what he is doing.
  3. Today
  4. GMRwings1983

WPG vs STL - Series Thread

They can always call Paul Laus.
  5. kliq

TOR vs. BOS - Series Thread

Ya I was just reading that lol. He signed an 8 year 50 million dollar deal (6.25mil per year) and he just completed year 4 of 8. If they are still on the hook for 25 million, I don't see him going anywhere. Thats the problem with committing to 8 years, you end up screwing yourself if it doesn't work out. We'll see what happens.
  6. F.Michael

I think with the Blues it's not so much about 'star power', or the lack of...I think it's more like fear...As in - if they f**k up - they will take a beating from Coach Berube.
  7. F.Michael

Leafs fans over on HF Boards are calling for Babcock's head...I should've taken the week off, and opened up a pitchfork, and torch store in Toronto...
  8. kickazz

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

One thing Yzerman is superior to Holland is managing contracts and salary cap. Prove me wrong.
  9. GMRwings1983

The problem with that era was that Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas always had better rosters. Even in 2000 the Blues were not the favorites going into the playoffs. They had a good team in 2016, but once again, I don't see a lot of star power there versus some of the other teams. Other than Tarasenko, they didn't really have another star player.
  10. Hockeymom1960

Man I hope the Leafs get knocked out!
  11. Neomaxizoomdweebie

Maple Leafs are becoming the new Rangers. Lots of money. Lots of big names. Lots of nothing else to show for it.
  12. Neomaxizoomdweebie

Holland is also like 65 years old and he brought in a guy to take the job he already had. Cant imagine he would do that if he wanted to continue to GM. I suppose he could "miss it" later on, but at his age I think he probably takes on a role like Scotty Bowman has in Chicago if he goes to another team. Kinda like ur unceasing optimism.
  13. chaps80

The curse of '67 comes down to a first round Game 7. Again. Hahaha the Leafs never make it easy on themselves. And yeah, if the Laughs lose this series, you gotta think there will be someone leaving. May just be Babcock. Not that he won't have his phone ringing off the hook with offers the second the news he's been fired breaks. He's got a lot of hype behind him, regardless of his failures.
  14. chaps80

They had some pretty deep rosters in the 2000s for a bit. Won the Presidents Trophy back when Pronger was Norris calibre. He may even have won it the same season. Can't recall. They bowed out early. Then made the West Finals in 2016 and were looking strong but blew it against SJ, who are chokers themselves. Stastny, Backes and Lehtera were their top 3 centres. Not the best in the league, but solid. Tarasenko, Steen, Brouwer, Schwartz, Fabbri, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Bouwmeester. Elliott was strong in goal. No reason they couldn't have beat SJ. Pittsburgh would have been tough for them in the Final though. The Blues have a Cup draught as long as Toronto's. Only '67 expansion team that's still around that hasn't won at least one. That's pretty bad. We should try to pry Bobrovsky away from Columbus. Pipe dream, I know. Plus he's gonna want paid.
  15. Neomaxizoomdweebie

2019 Draft

If he's going that high, he better be top pair. Not interested in drafting another 2nd pair guy in the first round.
  16. I'm all for trading for a defenseman like Trouba, but I hope Yzerman stays far away from any free agents. He's said that he's not looking for a quick fix in free agency, so I hope that's the case. I'd be all for that swap, but no way I want Nielsen on the cap for another 6 seasons...
  17. Rivalred

I wonder how the draft and free agency will go now since there is a new GM...
  18. Dabura

My name is Dabura and I approve this message. It's all about perspective.
  19. How about buyout Neilson and sign Datsyuk to a one year deal as our third line center.
  20. Yesterday
  21. Dabura

2019 Draft

Right, but no one's saying Holland would be holding Yzerman's hand. It's Yzerman's team now, but it's not like Holland is worthless. Dude has a ton of experience and institutional knowledge and insight. He's practically an NHL institution unto himself. If you can have that kind of guy in your front office and he's happy doing what he's doing, you take it without thinking twice. Yzerman + Holland = Big Hockey Brain. Think of how much brain power the organization has lost in recent years. Think of how often you see people lamenting that "brain drain." Personally, I'd like to see the Wings get back to collecting "institutional" guys. Not for the sake of having big names, but for the collective brain power. What's Larionov up to? What's Fedorov up to? Is Scotty Bowman bored?
  22. Barrie

Welcome back Stevie!
  23. Barrie

How do the Leafs lose Game 4 + 6? I have not been impressed with Babcock the last two playoffs. If Boston wins the series, I think the Leafs should consider firing Babcock.
  24. kickazz

2019 Draft

You must not know Steve Yzerman if you think he isn’t already upto speed on our prospects. He’ll speak to Holland etc, but ultimately he’ll do what he thinks is right.
  25. LeftWinger

2019 Draft

Yzerman knows very well the prospects, he said that the reason he knows about them is that they scouted all the same players. Plus, Holland knowing about kids we have has nothing to do with this draft. Plus, you don't think Yzerman has been evaluating this team from Day 1 of the season? If anyone thinks this plan was not in the works from last fall, then you're blind. Like I said, opinions and advice are fine a d Yzerman will listen to all, but Holland will have zero choice in the matter when it comes to drafting. They are not co-GM's, Yzerman is in charge. Yzerman is very capable of building a winning team without his hand being held.
  26. Dabura

2019 Draft

See, this is what I'm cautioning against. Don't expect Yzerman to be a radical departure from Holland. At least, not right away. There are probably identifiable differences in the way Yzerman does business and the way Holland does business. For example, I personally feel better with Yzerman running our drafts. However, I don't think there are huge fundamental differences in the way the two men see things. (They are, after all, cut from the same Red Wings cloth.) The "identifiable differences" I'm referring to aren't even necessarily a thing, because comparing Yzerman-Tampa (2010-2019) to Holland-Detroit (2010-2019) isn't a straightforward apples-to-apples comparison. Yzerman replacing Holland does not necessarily mean "We finally have a guy who will do what needs to be done, and what needs to be done is what I think needs to be done, so what I'm saying is Yzerman is finally going to give me what I've been asking for." I really don't want to see Wings fans turn on Yzerman if he doesn't prove to be the Anti-Holland.
  27. Dabura

boston evens series, nbd. #1776
  1. Load more activity