All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Athanasiou Rumor

How so? People are acting like Holland is committing some grave injustice and has catastrophiscally miscalculated. I don't see that at all. I see him offering AA market value. AA is not McDavid. AA is not Draisaitl. AA is not Pastrnak. AA is not Parayko. AA has scored some goals in a sheltered role and that's about it. He's also been exposed as a rather one-dimensional winger who needs to work on the defensive side of his game and learn to use his linemates more and learn to make more cerebral plays (as opposed to trying to outskate everyone and deke out three guys and deke out the goalie all by himself). He's very promising, but "very promising" doesn't necessarily get you $3M-per-year when you're a 23-year-old RFA with only 100 games of NHL experience He could end up being better than a lot of these young RFAs who've been given big deals, but guys in that category have mostly earned those contracts. At this time, AA really hasn't earned much. What we might be offering him if we had more cap space isn't really relevant, and it's mistakenly assuming that Holland has just been winging it, doings things without a plan. It's not like he signed Daley and Tatar and then said, "OH S***, ONLY NOW DO I REALIZE THAT MONEY'S TIGHT! I wish I'd gone into these negotiations with some kind of plan!" I'm sure he and the rest of the brain trust mapped this stuff out to the best of their collective ability, possibly a year or two in advance. I have my problems with Holland, but he's not an idiot. When it comes to RFA deals, he knows what he's doing.
  3. Ken Holland contract extension watch

I said, "partner who complements his skills", not, "elite superstar to carry him". He meshed pretty well with Quincey, and looked like a decent top pair in 14-15. Blashill messed them up a bit, but still wasn't terrible. Someone positionally reliable who can make a good pass. Like a Spurgeon or Stralman type, though ideally someone with the muscle to clear the crease when needed.
  4. Ken Holland contract extension watch

No thanks I'd rather see 2 guys who are both reliable on the defensive side of the game, so at least try Danny D and Daley. Also come trade dead line Green will be gone so I'd rather use him on the PP to boost his points and maximize the return for him. Also it's funny how hung up people are over a GMs and coaches contract extension, when all it means is basically gifted money if they get fired. Best example of this is Winnipeg, does anyone really believe Cheveldayoff and Maurice will be there next year if Winnipeg misses the playoffs again? I for sure don't and a few million here and there are like pocketmoney for the Illitches and Thomsons' of the world BUT it makes the organization look good in the eyes of future GM and coach candidates because they know even if they get fired they'd get a nice goodbye present.
  5. Athanasiou Rumor

Maybe it's breaking news to some but the RFA market is changing and it's changing drastically. Í just refuse to believe that the Wings wouldn't offer a better contract if they had the capspace to do so maybe I'm wrong and it's still the old way of expecting some sort of discounts in order to have the honor to wear the winged wheel. But AA is not in the wrong here he thinks he is worth a bit more and if he gets it good for him. Connor Brown whom I'm a huge fan of is making 2,1 million per year maybe if the relationship is sour the Wings could trade AA for him.
  6. Pierre McGuire on Wings-Tavares

Nothing against Pierre it's knowledge is unbelievable but this is the same clickbait as the Detroit and Stamkos article. Why would JT want to come here? Whenever the rebuild starts it willtake years of good drafting and some luck to build towards something that hopefully 1 day can win a cup(s)! again. JT will be 27 years old and should have another decade of hockey left in him given how he serious and hard he works. If I were him I'd be looking at Nashville (great city, great team and absolutely no media pressure), St. Louis or Tampa...imagine Stamkos, Tavares on the same team they'd basically have a 1a and 1b line depending on the specific needs of the game. What the Wings need to do is simple: hopefully finish last but damn Vegas, Vancouver and Newjersey will be tough to beat...in order to secure a top 4 pick which could be Brady Tkachuk a center with good size and some mean streak going on is exactly what the Wings could need...given that they don't win the Dahlin lottery. I don't care if it means that some (overhyped) young players would need to have a bad year for that because neither of them will be the difference between winning or losing a cup in the future with maybe Larkin and Mantha as the exception.
  7. Athanasiou Rumor

RFA deals =/= UFA deals
  8. Today
  9. Athanasiou Rumor

https://www.nhl.com/player/justin-abdelkader-8471716
  10. Pre-Season Games

So HSJ is taking over for @DidSheahanScore this season?
  11. John McCain won't vote for new healthcare bill - https://t.co/ECxd7xkoId

12. Pre-Season Games

Wondering if this means P.A.P. has the edge over Booth. Not sure either will be signed, but I think it's a definite possibility. Also wonder whether Bertuzzi being injured might hurt his pitch for the starting roster in favour of one of these two.
  13. Athanasiou Rumor

What are your comparable that define what the market is?
  14. Athanasiou Rumor

$1.9M x 2 is market value. $1.4M was maybe a bit on the low side, but that's how these negotiations open. One side starts too low, other side starts too high.
  15. Pre-Season Games

Yeah, Z's tweak doesn't sound too serious.. seems like a "why risk it?" move. Understandable. Abby's lower back still bothering him? Hopefully he gets in a couple preseason games with Larkin and Mantha.. but it's cool to see Frk get a shot in the top 6 with regular roster players.
  16. Pierre McGuire on Wings-Tavares

Yeah it would be a way to fill our 2 biggest holes (and the 2 essential spots on any team IMO), but my "stars aligning" scenario wasn't meant to be realistic. I don't think anyone would trade the top pick, especially with those players in line. We'd have to finish at or near the bottom to get Dahlin ourselves. And doing that would mean that at least some of our key young players would not excel which would hurt the rebuild and probably our chance at attracting JT. I guess just hope for some luck in the next draft - there's plenty of good players it seems and Dmen are hard to predict are often found lower.
  17. Ken Holland contract extension watch

I hope you're right on the first part. As for the second part, of course he could be a serviceable top pair with the right partner. Most NHL defensemen could. Ian White looked good next to Lidstrom. Marc Methot looked good next to Karlsson. As of right now, I see DeKeyser as a solid 2nd pair defenseman, that can play limited minutes on the top pair. I hope he proves me wrong and has a huge bounce back season, eating big minutes on the top pair.
  18. Athanasiou Rumor

They'd match, then pray for the LTIR fairy to visit There were 2 offers. 2x$1.9 and 1 year at $1.4. That's a lowball. Leverage or not, AA should be getting more than either of those deals, that's been the market for similar RFA's.
  19. Pre-Season Games

Never mind, apparently Zetterberg will sit tomorrow due to a minor neck issue. Kronwall's knee is fine, back seized up day before camp. Expects to get in 1 or 2 preseason games. Bertuzzi has "mid-body" injury... Lines they skated with today in practice... Likely lineup for tomorrow (aside from Z) Tatar - Zetterberg - Nyquist Mantha - Larkin - Frk Helm - Nielsen - Sheahan Parenteau - Glendening - Witkowski DeKeyser - Daley Kronwall - Green Ericsson - Jensen Howard starting.
  20. Ken Holland contract extension watch

I think it was a combination of Green/Jensen and Blashill, plus just the overall bad luck of the team, making Dekeyser look bad. His role and usage has not changed much since he started here, and his first two years under Babcock were significantly better. In Blashill's first year, paired with Quincey mostly, was also better despite being somewhat more defensively deployed. I think he is a passable top pair, with a partner who complements his skills at least. Not sure we have that partner for him though.
  21. Pre-Season Games

Why Zetterberg? Is he banged up?
  22. Pre-Season Games

Best. Tweet. Ever. but yeah, KRS, looks like it'll be most of the main roster. Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Kronwall will be the only ones missing according to HSJ. Howard starting.
  23. Ken Holland contract extension watch

Not ideal, but yes, I'd rather see that.
  24. New @OB_DetSports #podcast as the guys review the #MNF win for the #Lions, Dan finds a new "soap" & CTE… https://t.co/XzuN41BUYM

25. Pre-Season Games

We dressed an AHL team, against the Chicago Blackhawks (minus Toews). I'm not sure if anyone should have expected any better than a 5 goal deficit. I'm thinking we'll have pretty much our opening night roster tomorrow night. So if we don't have a decent showing in that one, that's when we should start to worry... especially if Boston dresses a similarly talented squad as we did last night...
  26. Pierre McGuire on Wings-Tavares

I was day dreaming yesterday drafting Dahlin and signing Tavares. Our rebuild would be complete in one offseason Would any team consider trading the first for a top five pick plus Larkin? Will teams pass up a true #1 elite defensemen though seeing as they are so hard to acquire around the league
  27. Athanasiou Rumor

You're off base on this one. For one, even to give the $1.9 offer he has to move Sheahan (or do something similar). Doing that would actually give us ~$2.3 for AA if we replace Sheahan with Bertuzzi (or ~$2.1 with Svech), without making any other moves or any LTIR besides Franzen. It doesn't seem likely that the cap situation is the main issue, or even necessarily an issue at all. Looking around the league at comparable players puts the market value at right around $1.9 for 2 years; just what we're offering. Unlikely that is a coincidence. Is he worth more? Maybe, depending on how you want to define "worth", and I would guess we'll end up settling a little higher. But we are absolutely not lowballing him, much less insultingly so. You like AA, so you're letting your emotions cloud your reasoning.
  1. Load more activity