• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

SI.com's Allan Muir - Wings deserved to win game 2

Rate this topic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...win-game-2.html

Neat reading material by Allan Muir of SI.com about last game and what he thinks might happen the rest of the series.

More/less he states...

Sharks were in this same posiition last year against Edmonton and goofed that up.

Hasek needs to settle down the puck playing.

Wings deserved to win the game as they eventually worked hard throughout the game after settling down.

Sharks have the younger/bigger and probably faster team but they can't take their foot off the gas pedal if they play well early or this series is bye-bye for them.

Too many giveaways from both teams.

More or less that is exactly how I felt after the game. In fact I was a tad annoyed after game one with the media reaction that Sj played a GREAT game and the RW have little chance of taking the series.

If SJ cannot put together 60 min of play, they are going to be in trouble. I don't think that Nabby can carry the load by himself (for example his positioning on Z's goal).

Edited by hockey&beer

Here's the deal...

The Sharks got exactly what they came for in Detroit, a WIN!

Detroit exhausted themselves all over the place to beat SJ yesterday...ON HOME ICE!

Yesterday the Sharks came up short. Hasek made some tremendous saves early and throughout the game.

After two games into this series, I present my first prediction: Sharks in 6. Perhaps 5. Definitely not 7.

Detroit exhausted themselves all over the place to beat SJ yesterday...ON HOME ICE!

I've seen a few SJ fans say this but I don't know where they're getting it from. Care to explain?

I've seen a few SJ fans say this but I don't know where they're getting it from. Care to explain?

I think hes assuming that since the red wings skated hard and fast to rally up that theyre tired now and wont be able to play anymore...or something along those lines :huh:

Just throwing this out there: A lot of Sharks fans are saying stuff along the lines of, "The Wings didn't beat the Sharks, the Sharks just didn't come to play," as if that's a legitimate excuse for the loss. Wasn't that the Sharks problem in the Playoffs last year? Hasn't that been the Wings problem in the Playoffs the past few years?

If the Sharks can't find consistency it's going to be a big problem for them, just like if the Wings can't play until after the 10 minute mark it's going to be a problem for them.

We get it Sharks fans, your team is bigger and younger than ours. Enough with the overly-confident act. I'm seeing it all over the place. Until your team can outplay the Wings for 60 minutes, hold off with the cockiness. The youth that the Sharks have (that all of you brag about) could end up being their biggest problem, just like it was last year (knock on wood).

I hope Ron Wilson keeps up the, "What?! We can't be outplayed; we're bigger, younger, and faster!" attitude.

Just throwing this out there: A lot of Sharks fans are saying stuff along the lines of, "The Wings didn't beat the Sharks, the Sharks just didn't come to play," as if that's a legitimate excuse for the loss. Wasn't that the Sharks problem in the Playoffs last year? Hasn't that been the Wings problem in the Playoffs the past few years?

If the Sharks can't find consistency it's going to be a big problem for them, just like if the Wings can't play until after the 10 minute mark it's going to be a problem for them.

We get it Sharks fans, your team is bigger and younger than ours. Enough with the overly-confident act. I'm seeing it all over the place. Until your team can outplay the Wings for 60 minutes, hold off with the cockiness. The youth that the Sharks have (that all of you brag about) could end up being their biggest problem, just like it was last year (knock on wood).

I hope Ron Wilson keeps up the, "What?! We can't be outplayed; we're bigger, younger, and faster!" attitude.

wellllllllll said :clap:

I think that Sharks fans are greatly underestimating the importance of Tomas Holmstrom to the Wings. You can definitely notice that he is missing by watching the games. Getting him back is going to be a HUGE boost, especially if the Wings can find a way to take game 3, with him presumably returning for game 4.

I am getting sick of hearing people saying that the Sharks blew it and the Wings were lucky to get the win. IMO, that article depicts the reality of the game.

Well when you're up 2-0 in game 2 after winning the first game 2-0, you really did kinda blow it when you lose 3-2.

That means you sat back and let the Wings do their thing.

but at the same time, Detroit had a hell of a lot more offensive rhythm yesterday towards the end. Maybe it'll carry over.

Well when you're up 2-0 in game 2 after winning the first game 2-0, you really did kinda blow it when you lose 3-2.

That means you sat back and let the Wings do their thing.

but at the same time, Detroit had a hell of a lot more offensive rhythm yesterday towards the end. Maybe it'll carry over.

i think putting aside the obvious offensive blitzes that the sharks have put on early, detroit has completely dominated the offensive play, as you notice after the sharks get those 2 goals, their shots on goal is in the realm of 3-5...which isnt going to get them anything

Um...hello? Have any idea what happened during the Calgary series? They played 3 games of hockey in 72 hours, the last of which went to double overtime, and that timespan also included a road trip to a city thousands of miles away. You really think that that last exhausted the Wings to the point where they are sitting pretty waiting to be smashed over by SJ? Not likely. That was a walk in the park in comparison.

i think putting aside the obvious offensive blitzes that the sharks have put on early, detroit has completely dominated the offensive play, as you notice after the sharks get those 2 goals, their shots on goal is in the realm of 3-5...which isnt going to get them anything

Now when it comes to who has carried the play all along, than it's Detroit by a landslide.

But still when you spot a team a 2 goal lead, especially very early, the onus goes to the Sharks to finish the job.

They choked it up yesterday.

Um...hello? Have any idea what happened during the Calgary series? They played 3 games of hockey in 72 hours, the last of which went to double overtime, and that timespan also included a road trip to a city thousands of miles away. You really think that that last exhausted the Wings to the point where they are sitting pretty waiting to be smashed over by SJ? Not likely. That was a walk in the park in comparison.

Shhhhhhhhh.....

Let him wallow in his arrogance......logical arguments won't do anything to him :D

Here's the deal...

Yesterday the Sharks came up short. Hasek made some tremendous saves early and throughout the game.

After two games into this series, I present my first prediction: Sharks in 6. Perhaps 5. Definitely not 7.

Detroit played their asses off!!! You can expect more of the same in game 3 too! The lucky (odd?) goals are normally far and few between so don't expect any more like the way you got the first two games. The sharks will not beat the Wings in a seven game series by scoring 2 goals a game. Hell, if we would stop spotting you a 2 goal lead in these games you guys would be in serious trouble right now. And if you don't think the sharks are worried sick about not being able to score after the first 5 mins. of the first period, think again. Don't forget to come back here to post after Detroit's game 3 win. I can't wait to hear how the sharks got us right where they want us!

That's what I was thinking. This series hasn't been half as physical and then when you factor in the screwed up scheduling in the first round, how on earth could someone say the wings are exhausted?

p.s. Where's this big, physical Sharks team we've been hearing about? Yes, they came in and won one and yes they could win the series but I think the pre-series talk about how physical they are was overrated. Calgary was MUCH more physical.

Any word on Homer?

I think some folks hope the Wings are exhausted. :D

Fact is, that was just a great 40 minutes of hockey yesterday in the last two stanzas, and the Wings are just getting warmed up. Both teams have checked each other out now. Even with home ice now for the Sharks, which I don't discount, experience on the Wings' bench will give them an edge. Homer back in the mix will only make them more formidible.

All the Wings have to do is cut down on the mistakes - no more 25 turnovers in one game, guys! - and they will at worst split the two games in San Jose. As has been said already, by Babcock and others, the mistakes made by the Wings early in the game are costly. Look for that to stop in game 3 and going forward.

Yes, the Wings did deserve to win yesterday. Just a preview of things to come? ;)

Here's the deal...

I hafta agree with the other posts ^^up there^^. Not to sound homer-ish, but after an 82 game reg season, a f***ed up first rd (OTs included) - The Detroit Red Wings pickedthis game to get 'exhausted'? They waited to get tired till now?

Hey - Sharks blew a 2 goal lead........no big deal......it happens. (happened)

aloha

Oh no! The Wings exhausted themselves! :(

I am so scared to go into the Shark tank now. They are going to be SO tired out there. They can't play like this! They just can't. I'm starting to think they shouldn't have tried to come back from a two goal deficit so maybe they could of saved their legs for Games 3 & 4! Damn Wings. :rolleyes:

Shark fans, get real. Coming back from a two goal deficit, and hustling, making great plays, pressure..etc.. is called HOCKEY. This 'exhaustion' that you speak of is bs. But hey if it makes ya sleep better at night thinking that way then all the more power to ya!

The Sharks have this wonderful tendancy to cool off during the playoffs and lose. Whats worse is that Nabby is no Kipper, but even Kipper couldnt carry his team all the way. Who cares if you have these great "stars" on your team, that doesn't mean s***. Home ice for the Sharks means nothing, we beat Calgary on their ice, and the HP Pavillion is hardly as tough to play in as the Saddledome. I suggest the Sharks fans suck it up, you aren't going to steamroll the Wings like you thought you would... infact I suggest you prepare for a proper spanking.

Wings in 5 or 6

Edited by RedLightGoesOn

Sorry AZShark but I have to agree with the Wings fans here. Bigger, stonger and as a team faster (Red Wings have some pretty quick forwards too) doesn't mean tougher, smarter or despite Thornton, more skilled. Sharks have to prove it on the ice, paper matchups and even regular season results don't mean anything in the playoffs. I'd like to see the Sharks play their A game and take the series in 6 or even 5 but I don't see anything yet in the first two games to predict that. Wings are much tougher than Nashville and I'll be happy to win this series in 7. Maybe Sharks fans will see a great Sharks team that totally dominates the Red Wings in games 3 and 4, that would be nice, but I for one haven't seen it yet in games 1 and 2.

Sorry AZShark but I have to agree with the Wings fans here. Bigger, stonger and as a team faster (Red Wings have some pretty quick forwards too) doesn't mean tougher, smarter or despite Thornton, more skilled. Sharks have to prove it on the ice, paper matchups and even regular season results don't mean anything in the playoffs. I'd like to see the Sharks play their A game and take the series in 6 or even 5 but I don't see anything yet in the first two games to predict that. Wings are much tougher than Nashville and I'll be happy to win this series in 7. Maybe Sharks fans will see a great Sharks team that totally dominates the Red Wings in games 3 and 4, that would be nice, but I for one haven't seen it yet in games 1 and 2.

Thank you for being honest. :clap:

Here's the deal...

That wasn't the Red Wings exhausting themselves yesterday, that was hard work and skating that paid off. Maybe you aren't used to it judging by your team's strategy to score a couple of goals and then no longer forecheck by sticking four guys back on the blueline. Expect more of this "exhaustion" from the Red Wings for the remainder of the series. Call it as you wish, but most people would say it was hard work and a desire to win.

You know whats funny about this series though?? Neither the Wings nor the Sharks have played up to their level yet. I know the Wings can play better and I KNOW the Sharks can too - all Wings fans here do - and its going to be a real exciting series if both teams decide to start stepping it up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...win-game-2.html

Neat reading material by Allan Muir of SI.com about last game and what he thinks might happen the rest of the series.

More/less he states...

Sharks were in this same posiition last year against Edmonton and goofed that up.

Hasek needs to settle down the puck playing.

Wings deserved to win the game as they eventually worked hard throughout the game after settling down.

Sharks have the younger/bigger and probably faster team but they can't take their foot off the gas pedal if they play well early or this series is bye-bye for them.

Too many giveaways from both teams.

This is not to take away from the many HUGE saves he's made during both series, but Dom needs to be much more conservative playing the puck.

It's a relatively simple thing to correct. The Sharks are too good to be spotting them a goal like that.