• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CloudConnected

Joe Thornton

Rate this topic

Joe Thornton played a hell of a game tonight. He was mean, physical and totally dominating. He did all of that while never getting out of control once. After seeing the way Iginla resorted to goonery in the last series and passing it off as leadership, I have to commend Joe for the game he played. He came up big when he had to. I think he's putting the NHL on notice that he's not going to vanish in the postseason from here on out. He's a superstar the league needs on the left coast.

Side note: We only have to take one here at the Tank. Homer's back for game 4, so we'll be better. Win game 4 and then take care of home ice. We can do it.

He is so damn big, can't take him off the puck. Playoff choker? My ass

people claim his stats make him a playoff choker, i guess they dont watch hockey

people claim his stats make him a playoff choker, i guess they dont watch hockey

Yeah, he only has one gift goal this playoff season, but he isn't a goal scorer by trade. He's controlled the play whenever he's been on the ice. I was one of the people in this forum calling for Holland to package Datsyuk in a deal for him when he was leaving Boston. While I love Dats, Thornton is just ridiculous.

Joe's been a force in this series.

First two games he was not dominant... tonight, he was a monster. He kicked our ass in the 2nd and especially the 3rd.

The SJ boards has a Thornton hater (I think he's a Bruins fan, but I'm not sure) whose only goal in life, it seems, is to attack Thornton and downplay his value and contributions to hockey. He comes off looking like the village idiot, of course, so he's allowed to remain, but if you can't set aside your own colors long enough to at least acknowledge reality, there's no chance of seeing all that's going on. Joe Thornton was, indeed, the best thing that ever happened to the Sharks, and regardless how he was seen in previous games, he definitely showed up for this one.

Class thread. Nothing but class. Props to you all.

:clap:

thornton is incredible. one of the most dominating forces in hockey for sure. he is nearly impossible to knock off the puck and add to that his uncanny ability to find the open man (vision, pristine passing, etc.) and you get what is called the real deal, or, if you'd prefer, the complete package. in all serious, he's probably the best player in hockey. at least top three.

First of all...Thank you.

I am a Sharks season ticket holder and have seen every home game Joe has played in plus a couple of road games in Nashville. Almost every game he surprises me with some pass to an open guy that I didn't even see. As some of you have said (I fully agree) Joe is the best thing to happen to the Sharks. As long as we have him we are going to be a force in the NHL.

Where does he hide his cape?

I have to comend you wing fans. this is a class thread. Joe is one of those very rare talents that dont come along very often. I nice to hear considering AFAN on our board is a total hater of joe and everything he does. And i wish the drunk wings fans we saw as we were leaving the tank were as classy as you all posting here. :)

Edited by clamchop

I have said all along Joe Thornton is the best player in the league. The man can do it all at a high rate. The Bruins were stupid for trading him.

Stupid is too kind of a word me thinks. They were out of their damn minds. They must be kicking theirselves in the ass right about now.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Exactly.. Kicking themselves in the ass on the friggin golf course.

Boston sez: trade our leading scorer and captain - BRILLIANT!!!!

Stupid is too kind of a word me thinks. They were out of their damn minds. They must be kicking theirselves in the ass right about now.

I can only speak for myself, but if I were there during the game I would have been friendly and trashed talked back and forth.. however if you kept hasseling me on the way out, I may have gotten stupid. Or, depending on your demeanor during the game, I may have been humble...

It really depends on the people around me...

I have to comend you wing fans. this is a class thread. Joe is one of those very rare talents that dont come along very often. I nice to hear considering AFAN on our board is a total hater of joe and everything he does. And i wish the drunk wings fans we saw as we were leaving the tank were as classy as you all posting here. :)

Edited by FireCaptain

Exactly.. Kicking themselves in the ass on the friggin golf course.

Boston sez: trade our leading scorer and captain - BRILLIANT!!!!

I can only speak for myself, but if I were there during the game I would have been friendly and trashed talked back and forth.. however if you kept hasseling me on the way out, I may have gotten stupid. Or, depending on your demeanor during the game, I may have been humble...

It really depends on the people around me...

these 2 were stinking drunk and looking to fight.. or so it seemed. i cant stand that no matter whos team won.

At the game tonight, a co-worker of mine who is a casual hockey fan asked me, "so who is the Sharks best player?' My response was "Joe Thornton and he wears #19 just like Yzerman." I realized that I had just put the two men in the same sentence. When I moved out here (from Detroit area) less than two years ago I didn't know much about the guy. Obviously never got to see him play much as he on was Bruins, only highlight reel stuff. Well now having seen him play live about 20 times I get what all the fuss is about. He is a force to be reckoned with. His playmaking skills are sick and his puck control could be the best in the league. It takes a truck to knock him off the puck seriously. Also living in the Bay Area you get to see him in long interviews and commercials, etc. He is a total class act and a great ambassador for the game in California.

Comparing Joe Thornton to Stevie Y is like comapring a Yugo to a Z06

Cmon man, are you serious?

Joe Thornton reminds me of Steve Yzerman, yes. That is as far as i'm willing to go with it. As a kid growing up going to all the Wings games Stevie Y was the best player and a class act. He was the player you watched the most when you went to the games. Now I live in the Bay Area and Joe Thornton is the best player on the Sharks and he is a class act. When I go to the games I end up watching him the most. So he REMINDS me of Stevie. He is 27 years old, he has proven very very little other than the fact he is one of the most gifted playmakers in the game. But please, I would not put him in the same BALLPARK as Stevie, ok ?

Comparing Joe Thornton to Stevie Y is like comapring a Yugo to a Z06

Cmon man, are you serious?

A Yugo? :D

Kind of a stretch in the other direction, don't you think?

Not to take anything from Stevie Y, as I'm a big admirer of his, and his record speaks for itself, but Thornton did win the 2006 Art Ross Trophy. That alone put his name up there with Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and other hockey greats (not Stevie Y, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great), but Thornton also did something that only two other two players in the history of the NHL have ever done, and that's had consecutive 90-assist seasons. Wayne Gretzky did it (12 in a row, 1980-81 through 1991-92) and Mario Lemieux also did it (1987-88 and 1988-89) .

So while I don't know how (or even whether I'd want to) compare JT with SY, I'd say Thornton deserves at the very least a nice shiny Volkswagon Jetta rating in your analogy, don't you? Or a Ford Pinto, or something a little better than a Yugo.

Joe Thornton played a hell of a game tonight. He was mean, physical and totally dominating. He did all of that while never getting out of control once. After seeing the way Iginla resorted to goonery in the last series and passing it off as leadership, I have to commend Joe for the game he played. He came up big when he had to. I think he's putting the NHL on notice that he's not going to vanish in the postseason from here on out. He's a superstar the league needs on the left coast.

Side note: We only have to take one here at the Tank. Homer's back for game 4, so we'll be better. Win game 4 and then take care of home ice. We can do it.

Big Joe has been known to take a few bad penalties, but yes... the goonery of Iginla was surprising. Iginla is the guy you do NOT want to get pissed off, as he usually steps it up and scores.

And yes, I'm a bit nervous about that lurk that's going to be in front of our net for game 4......

Don't cover him. Cover everyone else & the passing lanes.

No matter how many people you put on him, he's going to put it on someone's tape. Lay off him & don't let him pass.

That's a safe bet. And kicking up the physical play.

The SJ boards has a Thornton hater (I think he's a Bruins fan, but I'm not sure) whose only goal in life, it seems, is to attack Thornton and downplay his value and contributions to hockey. He comes off looking like the village idiot, of course, so he's allowed to remain, but if you can't set aside your own colors long enough to at least acknowledge reality, there's no chance of seeing all that's going on. Joe Thornton was, indeed, the best thing that ever happened to the Sharks, and regardless how he was seen in previous games, he definitely showed up for this one.

Class thread. Nothing but class. Props to you all.

:clap:

Those guys on the SJ boards take things SO seriously. It's no business over there.

IPB Image

Edited by Defenseman13

Don't cover him. Cover everyone else & the passing lanes.

No matter how many people you put on him, he's going to put it on someone's tape. Lay off him & don't let him pass.

Joe can score too. He's just so damn effective drawing the D and then finding the open guy.

Joe can score too. He's just so damn effective drawing the D and then finding the open guy.

There was a great quote earlier in the season by Randy (color guy) talking about Joe's dad, who was yelling at him all game to SHOOT. One would think that a guy who could put an impossible pass on the tape could pick a corner. He can... but hey, I'm not complaining. Ok, a little. I think he's a little better at that this year...