• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CloudConnected

Joe Thornton

Rate this topic

There was a great quote earlier in the season by Randy (color guy) talking about Joe's dad, who was yelling at him all game to SHOOT. One would think that a guy who could put an impossible pass on the tape could pick a corner. He can... but hey, I'm not complaining. Ok, a little. I think he's a little better at that this year...

I remember that!

This is one I've thought about a lot when watching Thornton play, even when he was with Boston. He's such an imposing presence on the ice that he draws a lot of attention to himself. His moves are telegraphed visually so much, that every netminder remains square to him at all times - despite the fact that he's a known disher! I think his options were cut down years ago in regard to taking direct shots from a stand still, and he developed a mindset along the way that says, "Hey, why should I shoot when my team mate over there has such a juicy opening? All I have to do his make the puck beat the goalie's ability to adjust accordingly and get square to him."

This goes right to what I see as a defining characteristic of JT's personality as well, because he really does seem to enjoy being background support, while lifting someone else up. It's almost incidental that this launches him into the limelight even more, because I don't think that's his intent at all.

Plus, Joe Thornton's favorite shots (on a shootouts especially) are low, just like his passes, as we can see as he goes tape to tape with uncanny accuracy. He doesn't seem as confident (to me at least) giving the puck any air unless he's taking a pass and has a large hole or an empty net to shoot at -- and most of those shots are while he's in motion. So it makes sense to me that he'd prefer to keep it low where his strength is, and just pass the puck and let a hot dog like Cheechoo (or Marleau) put it up top shelf and take most of the glory.

Edited by Grypho

Thorton was a man among boys again last night....you have to tip your cap.

But this is no place to bring Stevie Y's career up. The tallent level may be nearly equal but they play(ed) completely different styles. Please continue the props for Thorton but leave Stevie and his legacy out of the conversation.

Joe Thornton played a hell of a game tonight. He was mean, physical and totally dominating. He did all of that while never getting out of control once. After seeing the way Iginla resorted to goonery in the last series and passing it off as leadership, I have to commend Joe for the game he played. He came up big when he had to. I think he's putting the NHL on notice that he's not going to vanish in the postseason from here on out. He's a superstar the league needs on the left coast.

Side note: We only have to take one here at the Tank. Homer's back for game 4, so we'll be better. Win game 4 and then take care of home ice. We can do it.

I've always been a big fan of Joe Thornton. I was kicking myself when I found out he was dealt and for whom. I was certain the Wings could have put together a much better package. But then I found out that Boston only contacted 3 other teams (San Jose, Calgary and another one I can't remember). Boston ownership hates the Wings so he would never have been dealt here.

Good for San Jose to get him, and for so little. Thornton has been a man among boys out there. If he would just shoot a little more often he'd be even more dangerous.

A Yugo? :D

Kind of a stretch in the other direction, don't you think?

Not to take anything from Stevie Y, as I'm a big admirer of his, and his record speaks for itself, but Thornton did win the 2006 Art Ross Trophy. That alone put his name up there with Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and other hockey greats (not Stevie Y, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great), but Thornton also did something that only two other two players in the history of the NHL have ever done, and that's had consecutive 90-assist seasons. Wayne Gretzky did it (12 in a row, 1980-81 through 1991-92) and Mario Lemieux also did it (1987-88 and 1988-89) .

So while I don't know how (or even whether I'd want to) compare JT with SY, I'd say Thornton deserves at the very least a nice shiny Volkswagon Jetta rating in your analogy, don't you? Or a Ford Pinto, or something a little better than a Yugo.

Slow down fella. The Art Ross is given out every year, and just because you win it doesn't put you in the HOF, which JT will NOT be in with his current stats and awards (and lack of awards).

Thornton was a total beast tonight.

Wings need to figure him out, and quick

Hit him low, Punish his knees. The wings need to get under his skin and off his game. As good as he is he gets easily discouraged ala Boston.

Hit him low, Punish his knees. The wings need to get under his skin and off his game. As good as he is he gets easily discouraged ala Boston.

The only way you 'eliminate' Joe is to take away his passing lanes. Besides doing that, he will do whatever he wants out there. He's too big and skilled to contain for 60 minutes. And even when he's not putting up points on the board he's tattooing guys to them.

Joe's a beast and it's been a lot of fun watching him - even if he's on the other team.

Slow down fella. The Art Ross is given out every year, and just because you win it doesn't put you in the HOF, which JT will NOT be in with his current stats and awards (and lack of awards).

The Stanley Cup is given out every year, but I wouldn't call it nothing...

OK, fine, the Art Ross trophy that's given to one player in the NHL every year, and the consecutive 90-assist seasons aren't all that big a deal.

Could we at least make JT a sporty little Toyota? (doesn't have to be a new one, and you can pick the color)

Well, yeah, you're right he won't be in with his current stats. The thing is that the guy is only 27. He has at least ten more years left in him. He has just under a point per game average, which is ridiculous considering he was about 100 points behind that pace after his first two dismal years in the league. On top of that, he's going to be playing with Cheechoo, Michalek and Marleau for the next four or five years at least. So by the time it's all said and done, barring injury, he'll be in the Hall of Fame range statistically. There's no doubt in my mind.

Edited by CloudConnected

Joe definitely looked good last night, very intimidating..........I was laughing everytime he lined up for a faceoff and TOWERED over the Wing he was facing, i was like WTF. Guess I didnt realize he was that big, definitely top 5 in the league.

Do you guys not see any games out west until now? :P

Joe Thornton has Datsyuk-like playmaking abilities, but in a 6'4" 220 lb frame.

He dipsydoodles with the puck in ways you would not expect a big man to be able to.

The Wings probably aren't gonna shut him down, but they need to do a better job containing and frustrating him.

Still, it's refreshing to watch Detroit play a hard fought series against a team I actually have some respect for, versus last round of watching Sutter's goon squad do their best impersonations of the Hanson brothers.

One of the top 20 trades EVER.

It certainly tops the Blues sending Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney to the Wings for Adam Oates. Man, the was awful.

Who was the marquee player that the Bruins got? Wasn't it Brad Stuart? Ouch.

I don't know if we can. He's too big.

I was going back to some of the old threads, and it looks like some of the Sharks fans were going on and on about their size. You guys beat up on one or 2 of them in particular.

But I can sure see what they were talking about.

I was going back to some of the old threads, and it looks like some of the Sharks fans were going on and on about their size. You guys beat up on one or 2 of them in particular.

I don't think anyone was disagreeing with those Sharks fans.

But there was a guy who was bringing it up in every single thread, even when completely unrelated to the topic.

There's no denying the Sharks are a big team.

It certainly tops the Blues sending Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney to the Wings for Adam Oates. Man, the was awful.

Who was the marquee player that the Bruins got? Wasn't it Brad Stuart? Ouch.

And he got dealt because he was an impending UFA.

In the end, Joe Thornton got dealt for Marco Sturm, Chuck Kobasew and Andrew Ference. That's a joke. Joe Thornton could have fetched far better players or at least 1 superstar player at the very least.

And he got dealt because he was an impending UFA.

In the end, Joe Thornton got dealt for Marco Sturm, Chuck Kobasew and Andrew Ference. That's a joke. Joe Thornton could have fetched far better players or at least 1 superstar player at the very least.

Ahh, yes...Sturm. Wonder where the heck I got Brad Stuart from? :blink:

Stupid is too kind of a word me thinks. They were out of their damn minds. They must be kicking theirselves in the ass right about now.

I don't think it was a bad trade, except in the sense that they could have gotten more for him. He was having a lousy time in Boston, where they expected him to be the whole team. He was miserable, they were furious. Of course they got rid of him.

If they had any sense they might have tried to make it work, but they don't. Worked out well for the Sharks.

Don't cover him. Cover everyone else & the passing lanes.

No matter how many people you put on him, he's going to put it on someone's tape. Lay off him & don't let him pass.

He ate out on this approach a lot at the start of the regular season. Teams would try to do exactly that and he would stutter a bit, wait until the goalie slid to the side where they figured he'd be passing, then he'd pop it in. Funny every time.

I remember that too, but those sharks fans we're boasting and pounding there chest so they deserved anything they got from these boards, I just say let the game speak for it's self why go to someone else's boards to rub anything in? That's kid stuff.

Thornton was amazing lastnight, but I thought ryane clowe had a monster game, and he is having a fantastic playoff run so far and this is just his first one at the nhl level ;-P . The future is bright for the sharkies!

Big Joe has been known to take a few bad penalties, but yes... the goonery of Iginla was surprising. Iginla is the guy you do NOT want to get pissed off, as he usually steps it up and scores.

And yes, I'm a bit nervous about that lurk that's going to be in front of our net for game 4......

That's a safe bet. And kicking up the physical play.

Those guys on the SJ boards take things SO seriously. It's no business over there.

IPB Image

why do you care so much about what goes on in the SJsharks.com message board if you hate it so much? Like the feeder or chumpboard is any better.

Edited by clamchop