• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yzerfan1999

Shark Thrown on Ice

Rate this topic

I don't think it was the dead shark that some fan threw on the ice that was bad luck for the Sharks. I think it was all the dead Sharks that Ron Wilson threw on the ice towards the end of the second period and at the end of the game.

:crazy: Ouch.......

My initial reaction was "ANOTHER RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!". :P

The ice throwing thing has seen quite a few re-hashes, but none of them usually stick. Wonder if this one will or not. Basing off the way San Jose finished the game, my guess is no.

I just thought of something though: It would be funny if a whole group of people hauled in a full sized shark and heeved it onto the ice. I wonder how they'd manage to get if off the ice though. :hehe:

My initial reaction was "ANOTHER RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!". :P

The ice throwing thing has seen quite a few re-hashes, but none of them usually stick. Wonder if this one will or not. Basing off the way San Jose finished the game, my guess is no.

I just thought of something though: It would be funny if a whole group of people hauled in a full sized shark and heeved it onto the ice. I wonder how they'd manage to get if off the ice though. :hehe:

Maybe a Wings fan should get a little one like the one thrown on the ice last night, and then as someone else mentioned, put a noose around the neck and throw it on the ice. See how the Fishies like that one. :P

It still seems like something a Wings fan should have done, not a Sharks fan. Doesn't really make sense to me to throw a dead version of your own teams mascot onto the ice...

I'm sure you all saw it. After Cheechoo's goal, someone tossed a dead shark onto the ice in the shark tank.

What were your reactions? It seemed a little silly/ironic to toss a dead symbol of your team on the ice...dont ya' think? I guess they dont know the history behind the octopus.

IPB Image

The Red Wings have adopted the octopus as a mascot, and that's always been dead. The only difference is that it was after the fact. As for history, they could have thrown a stop sign on the ice. It's about as closely related, plus it's red. If the Pavilion starts serving shark sushi, then I'll take issue.

Edited by krudmonk v2.0

how did i miss that? i was right there :unsure:

No Joke...I was at the game and didn't hear one thing about that.

Not one thing from the stands or the annoucers

Nobody in my section did either....wierd

Obviously doesn't get the same reaction...

I'm suprised being in Cali, someone didn't scream PETA!

That thing was REAL? I swear I thought it was fake.

Either way...fans of opposing teams need to stop jocking off the Wings! Ours is actually a tradition. LOL

I remember when the Preds fans would throw cat fish? when playing the Wings and im sure we thought what the hell..and then NOW this Shark thingy. That is just not right. Get your own tradition, peeps!

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

I really dont think throwing a SHARK on the ice during a SHARKS game is 'copying' us... Come on. Who really cares? Also, who cares if it's dead? Are all the octopi put onto the ice at the Joe still alive?

No.. they are dead too, but thats not the point. It is their 8 tentacles that are symbolic for the Wings.

The ironic thing is that the dead shark was thrown on the ice. I just dont see how that would be a good omen.

You dont see Wings fans throwing severed Wings on the ice after the goal - that would just be scary.

Just an FYI, that shark is not all that big. Probably still a juvenile. I used to catch them here in the south bay either pier fishing at the old Dunbarton bridge, in San Francisco or in Santa Cruz. Beats the **** out of pulling those lamprey infested fish in Lake Michigan.

Dead Wings after 6!

Possibly next round we should expect to see dead ducks being heaved out on the ice.

Too funny!!

I agree. Dead shark is way better than dead catfish (idiots). But I do find it funny that one would throw a dead mascot onto the ice. hmmm...I would think it might be a Wings fan if the shark was thrown after a Wings goal.

This is the guy who brought that shark in. It only makes sense if you ask me. A member of the media would have a much easier time bringing that thing in compared to a regular fan. Purdy probably knows the security guards there from following the Sharks and they probably let him bring it right in.

Conspiracy!!!!

Edited by m96m

The thing that I don't understand is why the octopus is thrown NOW? When the tradition began in the 50's it only took 8 wins to win the Cup.... shouldn't octopus be thrown when there is only 8 wins to go? (at the beginning of the Western conference final)?

Or am I being a freak about this?? lol

I really dont think throwing a SHARK on the ice during a SHARKS game is 'copying' us... Come on. Who really cares? Also, who cares if it's dead? Are all the octopi put onto the ice at the Joe still alive?

Turns out it was was a Sharks fan who was indeed trying to copy the Wings tradition. He had been planning it for twelve years, after attending a Wings game and seeing an octopus thrown on the ice. They did a radio interview of the guy t (known only as "Shark Thrower") who threw the shark, the .MP3 file of which you can listen to here.

Turns out it was a four foot leopard shark (or so the claim), which he purchased already dead, put it in plastic, and smuggled in under an overcoat. He was ejected from the game afterward (after, he alleges, the ushers promised him that they wouldn't - that they just wanted to know).

KNBR Radio also did a piece called "Shark Throwing 101 - How to smuggle a shark into the HP Pavillion in 9 easy steps:"

1. Get dead shark

2. Put on ice.

3. Display shark

4. Disguise shark.

5. Find innocent looking smuggler.

6. Strap to back.

7. Cover w/ lg. shirt.

8. Cover w/ lg coat.

9. Hurl Shark!

Edited by Grypho

Just curious. When someone tosses theses items onto the ice, do security rush in and toss the person? Obviously if an Octi is thrown at an away arena, the security might be pissed. But if its at the Joe, do they jsut kinda turn a blind eye?

Just curious. When someone tosses theses items onto the ice, do security rush in and toss the person? Obviously if an Octi is thrown at an away arena, the security might be pissed. But if its at the Joe, do they jsut kinda turn a blind eye?

No, anyone caught throwing anything onto the ice (other than a hat after a hat trick) is immediately ejected from the arena. No tolerance, zero warnings, they toss you out on your ass. The guy who threw the dead shark onto the ice was thrown out, btw. He claims that security promised him that nobody would be thrown out, that they just wanted to know what happened. So the guy confessed, "I did it.", afterwhich they asked him to come with him to talk to the supervisor who then said, "Oh no, you are definitely out of here." :D

KNBR Radio also did a piece called "Shark Throwing 101 - How to smuggle a shark into the HP Pavillion in 9 easy steps:"

1. Get dead shark

2. Put on ice.

3. Display shark

4. Disguise shark.

5. Find innocent looking smuggler.

6. Strap to back.

7. Cover w/ lg. shirt.

8. Cover w/ lg coat.

9. Hurl Shark!

Not that I disaggree or anything just confused... Its class section 101... do we throw the smuggler on the ice as well. Instructions don't really indicate you take the shark off the back of the smuggler before the sharkie is hurled unto the ice. :unsure::lol:

At the joe definitly NOT a blind eye. Sure they let you do a little jig and raise your arms, taunt the other team.... BUT at the top of the stairs you will the black suits gathering to kindly help you continue your journey to the abyss... I don't know if they kick you out right there, take you to a dark room and beat you, take you to a dark room and congratulate you or let you go back to your seats... All I know is security most definetly gets you....

I have never tried because my $144 are very precious to me...