Ha ha.

Red Wing Fan #1: Bert or Smyth?

Red Wing Fan #2: Luongo?

Red Wing Fan #1: No...Bert or Smyth...

Red Wing Fan #2: Bert...no doubt

--1 year later--

Red Wing Fan #2: Smyth...no doubt

--1 year later--

Red Wing Fan #2: Maybe we can get Robert Lang back???

Red Wing fan #3: Isn't Fedorov a UFA this year?

:lol:

I bet Bertuzzi goes back to the Canucks.

They need help up front, and I think he would go back to were his career really took off.

Personally, I have a lot of trouble imagining him donning a 'nucks uniform again.

I think he genuinely wants to put that stage in his life behind him, and what better team to do that with than the Wings?

If we didn't have Homer, I'd say Smyth, but as we already have one elite level net-stander-in-front-of-er, I say Bert, because the Wings don't have any other huge guys who hit (unless Lillypads keeps doing his best physical D-man impression.)

If we didn't have Homer, I'd say Smyth, but as we already have one elite level net-stander-in-front-of-er, I say Bert, because the Wings don't have any other huge guys who hit (unless Lillypads keeps doing his best physical D-man impression.)

We also have two great centers, but we don't have anyone else for them to play with, so they are playing together. Think about that one-two punch for a second. And then think about how awesome our PP would be, unit one with Homer, unit two with Smitty....

Personally, I have a lot of trouble imagining him donning a 'nucks uniform again.

I think he genuinely wants to put that stage in his life behind him, and what better team to do that with than the Wings?

I agree. And that makes it even sweeter because I like him better than Smythe anyway.

Cheers!

esteef

Somebody already mentioned it, but ill put it here in full:

RUMOURS FROM THE EDMONTON JOURNAL.

Jim Matheson recently reported the following (Hat tip to "Word" and "Matt"):

- The NY Islanders might offer up a considerable contract (7-8 years) to retain Ryan Smyth but Smyth may not wish to commit to a team for that long. Matheson lists the Avalanche, Rangers, Maple Leafs and Red Wings as having the best odds of signing Smyth, with the Isles and Stars both at 10-1. The Oilers are listed as 25-1.

Spector's Note: I don't see Smyth returning to Edmonton or re-signing with the Isles, as I think he'd prefer to sign with a Cup contender or one with a promising future of becoming one. The Wings could be very tempting, given their history.

Bert eats Smyths for breakfast.... GO BERT

Exactly, there's just something awesome about having a guy on your roster that the other team's biggest guy can't beat. Keep Bert.

Cheers to Wednesday night sauce!

esteef

Is there a realistic scenario in which we could have both? Not that I'm gung-ho about Smyth, mind you. Just curious.

I think if the brass thought we couldn't re-sign Hank when the time comes, and we didn't want a solid goalie in a few years, and if Nick didn't come back, sure....but I really think it's one or the other if we want to add without subtracting. Although, the cap will most likely go up for a few more years, so it is possible.

Somebody already mentioned it, but ill put it here in full:

Well...Detroit's history is definitely worth mentioning but I actually think the FUTURE is quite promising too...That's what good management does...

I would be surprised if Smyth went anywhere but back to Edmonton. Only becuase the way he carried on when he left. He either really loves it there or he should be the headliner in the next sappy romantic movie.

I'd be very surprised if he went back there- just from the standpoint of self-pride.

I'd rather have Bertuzzi. If you're talking about sheer dominance, there are few players that can match him.

Is there a realistic scenario in which we could have both? Not that I'm gung-ho about Smyth, mind you. Just curious.

I don't think its possible. Bert will likely go for about 4M and Smyth will likely get at least 5M, or so seems to be the consensus as of now. What worries me most about those is the length of the contract. Like it or not, Detroit is going to be in need of #1 Dman pretty soon, and having a lot of money tied up in Smyth, Bertuzzi, Datsyuk AND Zetterberg after next year doesnt sound like a good idea.

<-- Kronner is getting $3,000,000 next season, not 1.5 :)

That's a damn shame that much cash is tied up in him.. in fact, it IPB Image

*Edit: real thoughts, I freaking love Ryan Smyth, he's a beast, the kind of guy to have on line two... it'd be like having two Holmstroms! Anyhow, I'm skeptical of Bert, like most are.. but even in the very few shifts that he's played great this postseason, it tantalizes me to think of him returning at 100% health next year. Maybe sign Bert to a cheapy-incentive laden short-term deal, and get Smyth too! We can all pray.. :lol:

Edited by Covenant

Both :P

A few years ago, I'd probably take Bertuzzi over Smyth in a heartbeat. Not so much now though.

However, the Wings aren't picking up Smyth anytime soon, and it's not like I'm throwing rocks and having a temper tantrum for the Wings trading for Bertuzzi. Hell, they gave up very little to get him, and he has the size. Hopefully he can put it together a little more during the Conference Finals.

I wouldn't mind trying to re-sign him to a short-term deal.

Bert's got softer hands than Smyth, but Ryan brings so many more untangibles to the table. He is a character guy that is a proven warrior. Bert has been castrated and I think after his back injury he is pensive to play the big physical game he used to. I'd take Smyth over Bert any day. I don't think that Todd can get back to the form he once was.

Bert's got softer hands than Smyth, but Ryan brings so many more untangibles to the table. He is a character guy that is a proven warrior. Bert has been castrated and I think after his back injury he is pensive to play the big physical game he used to. I'd take Smyth over Bert any day. I don't think that Todd can get back to the form he once was.

Kudos on everything about Smyth, except his hands. Same thing with Homer, no one gives him credit, they both have exceptional hands. Of course neither compares to Pav.. I think Bert is capable of playing that big game again, it's not the NHL style anymore.