• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ttbrunke

Fans where are you

Rate this topic

Ha ha, choose wisely when picking your game. Can you even imagine spending $500 for a ticket where the Wings didn't even score a goal...and were beaten badly. Oh yes, we all picture winning, raising the Cup, etc...but what about all the other games...some are good, some are bad...and the bad ones are painful.

Haha I am still pissed that we spent $180 to see the wings pitiful effort in game 1 last round.... damn shame all the money and they sucked ass for 60 mins!

Edited by OsGOD

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I live in Commerce, Mi, about 45 minutes from downtown Detroit for those of you who are not from Michigan. I currently play goalie for the Southfield Warriors Jr. C team and hopefully next year I will be able to skate at Grand Valley. Anyway, I say this discussion and decided I couldn't stay out of it any longer. In my opinion I feel most of the posts have a valid point: Ticket prices are way too high, the ecconomy in Michigan is horrible, people are leaving the state (some of them being hockey fans), and we have multiple potiential championship teams (Spartans Div. I and II hockey teams, Whalers, Tigers, Pistons). I don't think the problem is that people are not hockey fans anymore. Despite the local economy the Joe has been close to sold out every game, the Whalers are drawing decent crowds along with all the other jr teams in the area. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned on the boards is the fact that Michigan has the largest amature hockey league in the nation. We have more players than Minnesota or Massachuttes (both great hockey states!) Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Guys!

Thats the kicker... they CAN afford to go, yet they sit on the computer and ***** about it instead of doing anything. Being out of state gives you a loophole to ***** without EVER having to do anything to help the issue you are bitching about.

i don't think a lot of out of state red wing fans could afford to travel to detroit, pay for a place to stay, and buy hockey tickets.

The only difference the person in office now has no idea what to do to get the state turned around. Nothing is remotely looking up. We are still losing more business (out side of just the auto industry) than we are gaining. Nobody wants to invest any new business in Michigan. Sure this would have happened to anyone involved... however, its the inability of the current braintrust to stop the bleeding that is most disheartening.

I think for the most part, it doesn't matter who is in office. The Gov can do everything right, but the auto industry doesn't have to jump at her every command. It's true that she hasn't done a whole lot in terms of getting new business back in Michigan, but this thing will turn around sooner or later. If for no other reason, some businesses will look at the unemployment rate, and think 'Hey, I could go into Michigan, look good by creating jobs, and pay those people less than any other state. They won't complain, getting paid less than average is better than not getting paid.' It's just a matter of time, now how long? I don't know. But it'd be nice to see the Gov try and get people like that back here.

Well you are looking at DCX, GM and Ford all laying off RECORD number of people over the last 1-1/2 years. Along with those layoffs comes constant plant closings and the Big three place OUTRAGEOUS demands for cutting costs on suppliers forcing many into bancruptcy (sp?) and other into triming down their work force substantily. Now you couple all those people being dumped back into the unemployment pool.... Not to mention Comerica and Pfizer heading down to texas adding even more people to the pool... you no longer have a shallow pool but an ocean full of people looking for jobs. (i am not even considering all the Hopefull graduates from around the state getting dumped into the pool twice a year)... No new jobs are being brought to michigan maybe a few here or there. Even then, you need mass amounts of school (with is also exponentially increasing) therefore many aren't able to afford to get that schooling. Anyways.... yes it can get that bad in such a short period of time... Jobs are being lost and no new jobs are being created.... hence the 2nd to worst unemployment rate in the nation.

well, i wasn't aware that it's gotten that much worse within the last year. that's terrible to hear. it's funny that i heard more in the media about michigan's economic woes two years ago, than the last 12 months. and also, the 2006 forclosure statistics has michigan ranked as only 4th worse in the nation. i guess the rest of the nation is under the assumption that things in michigan are about the same as it was 2-3 years ago.

i don't think a lot of out of state red wing fans could afford to travel to detroit, pay for a place to stay, and buy hockey tickets.

You're misunderstanding what he's saying, I think. Clearly it's a burdon to go to another state to attend hockey games, especially across the country. But it's like saying "If I were rich, I would give so much money to charity". It's really easy to say that because your not rich. It's a lot easier to spend 'hypothetical' money than to put your money where your mouth is and really go game in and game out to support the team.

Plus, if you lived in MI odds are it would be a lot harder to find a job that is as profitable as where you are, which makes it a double dilemma.

well, i wasn't aware that it's gotten that much worse within the last year. that's terrible to hear. it's funny that i heard more in the media about michigan's economic woes two years ago, than the last 12 months. and also, the 2006 forclosure statistics has michigan ranked as only 4th worse in the nation. i guess the rest of the nation is under the assumption that things in michigan are about the same as it was 2-3 years ago.

I think it's just hitting us now. Houses can't sell, people are being forclosed upon...moving out. Oakland county WAS the third richest in the country...I'm not sure what it is now...but the disparity between those incomes and the average person was pretty big....still it helped buoy the economy...now everyone's in the same sinking boat.

It's not that I'm not hopeful that it can't change...because I think it can get back to being good again, but I think it'll bottom out first.

You're misunderstanding what he's saying, I think. Clearly it's a burdon to go to another state to attend hockey games, especially across the country. But it's like saying "If I were rich, I would give so much money to charity". It's really easy to say that because your not rich. It's a lot easier to spend 'hypothetical' money than to put your money where your mouth is and really go game in and game out to support the team.

Plus, if you lived in MI odds are it would be a lot harder to find a job that is as profitable as where you are, which makes it a double dilemma.

Thats what I am saying... Using a certain state salary as a way to mock another states entertainment value leads to errors. Even though the cost of living is higher on the left coast... No body except a select few could even afford a $5,000.00 house payment around here... That would lead to foreclosure in a heart beat. Making that kind of salary (unless you are living way beyond your means) $100 is a drop in the bucket for one ticket (or $400 for a family of 4). That same comparison can be made here in michigan where a $12 Whalers Finals ticket in accordance to my salary is a drop in the bucket for me.

I really don't hear anybody actually making a living in michigan bitching about the attendance... They are mainly bitching because they can't afford to go, not that they don't want to go.

Until I got married, my family could not afford to go to playoff games at all. Our first year of marriage was the first time I ever attended a playoff game. Now I have gone many times since them.

Edited by OsGOD

Thats what I am saying... Using a certain state salary as a way to mock another states entertainment value leads to errors. Even though the cost of living is higher on the left coast... No body except a select few could even afford a $5,000.00 house payment around here... That would lead to foreclosure in a heart beat. Making that kind of salary (unless you are living way beyond your means) $100 is a drop in the bucket for one ticket (or $400 for a family of 4). That same comparison can be made here in michigan where a $12 Whalers Finals ticket in accordance to my salary is a drop in the bucket for me.

on the flip side, don't assume that just because people out here on the left coast can make a $5,000 mortgage that they have big fat salaries and/or living way above their means. for most people a $3,500 - $4,000 mortgage only buys them a decent 3-4 bedroom house in a decent neighborhood. a $450,000 house out here will put you in compton, and who in their right mind would want to raise a family out there? they pay this exorbanant amount of money for housing because they have to, not because they want to.

what i think it all boils down to is how much disposable income you have. and unforunately a high cost of living index doesn't leave much of it. naturally if your income is zero, there's no comparison. but, i would bet that those of you fortunate enough to be working in michigan probably have more disposable income than a lot of folks out here.

that being said, i do understand where you're coming from and the reality is that the michigan economy is really much worse than the rest of the nation is led to believe. and to factor that in with the success of the other detroit sports franchises, and the consequential erosion into the red wing fan base, it is the perfect catalyst for low attendence at the joe.

on the flip side, don't assume that just because people out here on the left coast can make a $5,000 mortgage that they have big fat salaries and/or living way above their means. for most people a $3,500 - $4,000 mortgage only buys them a decent 3-4 bedroom house in a decent neighborhood. a $450,000 house out here will put you in compton, and who in their right mind would want to raise a family out there? they pay this exorbanant amount of money for housing because they have to, not because they want to.

what i think it all boils down to is how much disposable income you have. and unforunately a high cost of living index doesn't leave much of it. naturally if your income is zero, there's no comparison. but, i would bet that those of you fortunate enough to be working in michigan probably have more disposable income than a lot of folks out here.

that being said, i do understand where you're coming from and the reality is that the michigan economy is really much worse than the rest of the nation is led to believe. and to factor that in with the success of the other detroit sports franchises, and the consequential erosion into the red wing fan base, it is the perfect catalyst for low attendence at the joe.

The point is not everyone needs a 450k house. And my cousin and her husband just recently purchased a 2 bedroom townhouse in Huntington Beach for around 220k. Its not huge, but its nice. And if she or her husband gave two s***s about hockey, theyd be able to go to a game if they wanted. Although they might have to sacrifice a weekend trip to Vegas or two. :rolleyes:

FYI it took me about 2 seconds to find a house for 450k in Huntingon Beach (the area I know best in CA) on a real estate website.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I understand completely which is why I am not the one knocking the fans for not going to the games... The out of state people who really have no intention of actually going to games... just like to ***** that the seats are getting filled are the ones accusing us of lack of "wingness"... which is where I tend to want to step in. I would never denounce someone for not having enough disposable income to cover a 2-1/2 hour sporting event. The people who are formerly from michigan (obviously left for some reason and were damny lucky to) and the out of town people that are the ones bashing the citizens of Metro Detroit.

Got my 12pack of Molson, a front row seat on the couch and I am ready to go for tomorrow night.... Does that make me lesser of a fan because I am only 30miles from the "not sold out Joe" ... Some may say so, but frankly, I don't give a damn... I will be cheering the same as them.

Edited by OsGOD

I got to go to R1 G2 with section 108 row 16 seats right on the red line .... cost was $270 for the pair of which a client of mine picked up the cost (the guy makes $120 and hour so he's looking for any expense he can find). My client also picked up tickets for CF G5 lower bowl 10th row in section 118 ... cost was $680 for three seats. I could never afford those tickets but from somebody who has usually had upper corner seats in the upper bowl, the difference is night and day when watching a live game. With the seats I had at round one you could see everything you would see on TV except for the replays.

I kind of wonder what those seats that I had for R1 would have gone for on Stubhub for a regular season game .... probably not too much less. Point is if you are not a season ticket holder with good seats, your either are going to deal with crappy seats for regular season games or pay a lot more for better seats on Ebay or Stubhub.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

i should put my head down low! I can't even go watch the red wings, cannot get a vacation from work!!!

The point is not everyone needs a 450k house. And my cousin and her husband just recently purchased a 2 bedroom townhouse in Huntington Beach for around 220k. Its not huge, but its nice. And if she or her husband gave two s***s about hockey, theyd be able to go to a game if they wanted. Although they might have to sacrifice a weekend trip to Vegas or two. :rolleyes:

FYI it took me about 2 seconds to find a house for 450k in Huntingon Beach (the area I know best in CA) on a real estate website.

properties for 220k in huntington beach are few and far between. probably a 1br condo, or a distressed sale, or a forclosure?

is it possible to find a cheap place in a decent area? sure, but unlikely.

Edited by FUUFNF

Honestly though. If you guys can afford a $4000 - $6000 mortgage...even with adjusted salaries and such...then I can only conclude $100 worth of tickets are relatively A LOT cheaper in Cali than $100 worth of tickets in Detroit.

and obviously condos are much cheaper than actual SFRs. i believe the median house price in HB is still in the high 500k range.

Edited by FUUFNF

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

i live in vancouver canada a decent house here is 850-950k!!! the average wage here is 13.50 an hr. its a joke! in my neighbourhood houses go 4.5+! by the way T.B lived 3 blocks away from me

I kind of wonder what those seats that I had for R1 would have gone for on Stubhub for a regular season game .... probably not too much less. Point is if you are not a season ticket holder with good seats, your either are going to deal with crappy seats for regular season games or pay a lot more for better seats on Ebay or Stubhub.

They are right around $100 a seat up close... actually the ones you were in R16 (i believe) would be somewhere around $75. The upper first 12 have been $54 and then Rows 13-21 are $44 and then R22-26 are $22

i should put my head down low! I can't even go watch the red wings, cannot get a vacation from work!!!

I would kill to be able to work that much at one job. I was living the high life when our company had OT... I am just praying that day will come again real soon!

i live in vancouver canada a decent house here is 850-950k!!! the average wage here is 13.50 an hr. its a joke! in my neighbourhood houses go 4.5+! by the way T.B lived 3 blocks away from me

WOW, that is pretty damn good P/T per hour price... Good luck finding a decent p/t job anywhere around here for more than $10/hr.

Edited by OsGOD

Living with your parents is a beautiful thing, ain't it?

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

Yah it rocks!!! Pretty soon i will have enough saved up to buy my own house!

hey houses in detroit go for like 80k if i lived there i could prolly buy 3 of them! we only get paid 3 bucks extra and hour here on avg then you guys and we pay 10x more for a house

Yah it rocks!!! Pretty soon i will have enough saved up to buy my own house!

hey houses in detroit go for like 80k if i lived there i could prolly buy 3 of them! we only get paid 3 bucks extra and hour here on avg then you guys and we pay 10x more for a house

You could probably buy a house in Detroit for 80K

But you sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.

You could probably buy a house in Detroit for 80K

But you sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.

Well maybe that would be the best thing for him/her... I mean getting a first house outside of the 'rents is a big deal and quite the experience... why not go all out.

YOu can pay 80K and then spend the rest on actually puting 4 walls and a roof on that slab you will get ;)

we only get paid 3 bucks extra and hour here on avg then you guys and we pay 10x more for a house

Ah but your housing market is overinflated because you use looney money!

Edited by OsGOD

I'd blame it on the economy, but Buffalo has a horrible economy also and has freakin 7,000 fans outside the arena wathing on a big tv for the game and tickets going for insane prices...

The real reason is, we have had such a great team for so long that it just isnt as exciting as it was at one point. On the flip side, Buffalo has been horrible for a long time and finaly has a killer team..so they are all excited.