No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Vancouver Wings Fan

Pronger Speaks

Rate this topic

Link is timing out on me :(

I'll copy the article for you.

Here ya go:

Tomas Holmstrom was less than impressed with Chris Pronger's claims that he was unable to control his body when he hit Tomas Holmstrom, nor was he surprised to hear that Pronger stated he "can not and will not" play any differently:

: "I've seen him do that before so I'm not surprised he did it again," said Holmstrom, suggesting there was specific intent attached to the hit. "I wouldn't be surprised, for sure," he said.

Holmstrom says that Chirs Pronger won't deter him from standing at the top of the crease:

"I'm going to do my job the same way and go to the front of the net," he said. "He's probably going to give me a beating again, but I'll just keep coming back." ... "I don't really care about that anymore," he said. "I'm just going forward and I'm going to play a game (Sunday). I don't care.".

Dan Cleary stated that the Wings wouldn't get caught up in the controversy, Dominik Hasek echoed Holmstrom's comments:

"If he said anything like that it's a shame because it was a clear hit to Tomas' head and he knew exactly what he was doing," said Hasek. "He was putting his gloves on Tomas' head and into the glass. He knows what he's done but we can't pay too much attention to that. It's a very important game and nobody wants to spend too much time in the penalty box. Everybody will be paying attention to playing hockey and scoring goals."

Guest bullocks

Let him keep talking, he's just making himself look like an idiot.

While I don't care much for Pronger and think he's quite an a-hole, I didn't think the suspension was warrented.

Pronger should have gotten a 5 min major, + 10 + game misconduct and Niedermeyer should have gotten nada. That would have been the right call and it would have been over with.

What the hell do you mean?

IMO Niedermayer got the game misconduct because he obviously took a run at Homers back. He got exactly what he deserved.

That play must of been a discipline nightmare for the legue. I think they handled it very well though with both players recieving adequate penalties.

Homer and Hasek respond to Pronger's comments:

Homer is absolutely hilarious and a freaking WARRIOR. That's right, Chris. Try and beat at him and see what happens.

:clap: I like the "oh well, hack & slash me, i'm still going to the net ..." attitude. :D Just another reason why we love Homer!!

I feel, like the WIngs, the incident is over, and although not forgotten we gotta move on. We have 2 games to win. Yes, Pronger's a good d-man, but who cares? He's always been a goof who uses his stick and dirty tricks to make up for his lack of speed. I mean how many people have pointed out guys like Dan & Pavel making him look stupid out there this series alone.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on this board (haha) but Pronger is a tool...and that's the nicest thing I can think to call him right now. Man, I'm all jarred up all over again.

:lol: I said it yesterday :)

By the way... Hey, whats up with Pronger... is he always a tool?

Well, no one needs to do any research to see that Chris Pronger is a classless prick. He pretty much says for himself. Oh and by the way Chris, the laws of physics don't mean s*** if you don't follow the rules of hockey

What the hell do you mean?

IMO Niedermayer got the game misconduct because he obviously took a run at Homers back. He got exactly what he deserved.

That play must of been a discipline nightmare for the legue. I think they handled it very well though with both players recieving adequate penalties.

I thought Rob deserved the penalty for charging, but a friend sez no, because he never lifted his skates off the ice. Could someone please clarify the charging rule a bit better for me?

I think the definition of charging is either leaving your feet to make a check, or taking more than 3 strides into a check.

By the way, I thought bad-mouthing the refs was a fine-able offense in the NHL. Could we be on our way to Round 2 of Chris Pronger's NHL Discipline.

Guest bullocks

I think the definition of charging is either leaving your feet to make a check, or taking more than 3 strides into a check.

By the way, I thought bad-mouthing the refs was a fine-able offense in the NHL. Could we be on our way to Round 2 of Chris Pronger's NHL Discipline.

your definition of charging is correct...but to that guys last comment i think the call on neidermayer was correct...because he did hit him from behind and deserved that boarding penalty. anyways, you don't usually get fined for comments like that, so i doubt it.

http://cdn.nhl.com/rules/20062007rulebook.pdf

The Official NHL Rulebook which comes in PDF format states:

A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "charge" may be the result of a check into the goal frame or in open ice.

A minor, major or a major and a game misconduct shall be imposed on a player who charges a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper is within his goal crease.

A goalkeeper is not "fair game" just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where and opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of charging an opponent.

Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of the violence of the check, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of charging an opponent.

Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the playeror goalkeeper attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by charging

Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

Fines and Suspensions - When a major penalty and a game misconduct is assessed for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, and automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall be imposed

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discpipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion.

-----------------------------------------------------

Official NHL rulebook states the above about charging. I have the pdf saved to my desktop in case something i see is questionable, just so i know how the rule is actually supposed to be called.

Pronger proves by opening his mouth that he is infact a mindless goon. Not too surprising....but then again, when your GM is fellow caveman Brian Burke, what do you expect?

"I tall...no help arms being high....head go squish"

Coincidence that Burke is defending another dirty blow? I think not. It's his job of course to defend his players - he defended the indefensible when Bert laid his punch. So of course he's not going to take repsonsibility for this one.

I think Pronger is a total A-hole too; his comments only reinforce this. Sad thing is, I used to really enjoy watching him play when he was a Blue. He is a damn good defenseman - which makes it all the more ridiculous that he needs to play dirty - he doesn't need to do that to be good. Oh well, may the best team win - the WINGS! ;)

"Of course I'm going to hit him in the head," Pronger explained. "He's quite a bit shorter than me. It's just law of physics."
He sounds like a freaking idiot. "Oh yeah, I'm the tallest player in this series, that means I'm allowed to hit anyone in the head at any time." Edited by Systemfel

http://cdn.nhl.com/rules/20062007rulebook.pdf

The Official NHL Rulebook which comes in PDF format states:

A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "charge" may be the result of a check into the goal frame or in open ice.

A minor, major or a major and a game misconduct shall be imposed on a player who charges a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper is within his goal crease.

A goalkeeper is not "fair game" just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where and opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of charging an opponent.

Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of the violence of the check, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of charging an opponent.

Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the playeror goalkeeper attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by charging

Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

Fines and Suspensions - When a major penalty and a game misconduct is assessed for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, and automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall be imposed

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discpipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion.

-----------------------------------------------------

Official NHL rulebook states the above about charging. I have the pdf saved to my desktop in case something i see is questionable, just so i know how the rule is actually supposed to be called.

Hmm, the definition I was looking at was worded differently: " Taking more than three strides and/or jumping before hitting an opponent. " It was the "and/or" that confused me. But under the offical rule you posted, then I DO believe the penalty(s) assessed on Rob was correct, even though I've seen that most people don't-- probably because it's an all too typical hit that rarely gets called (witness Alfredsson's injurious hit on Tallinder in Game 4, for example-- but then Tallinder didn't openly bleed).

I think I'll take your advice about saving that file-- thanks much.

seriousely guys! no worries, the curse of the ****** pronger will due him in any way. realise the hockey gods dont alow f***in ****** bags to win cups... thats why he hasnt... came close last year, but that was the hockey gods f***in w/ him lol. wings got this.

seriousely guys! no worries, the curse of the ****** pronger will due him in any way. realise the hockey gods dont alow f***in ****** bags to win cups... thats why he hasnt... came close last year, but that was the hockey gods f***in w/ him lol. wings got this.

Curse a lot?

Oh tomorrow's gonna be fun.

Bertuzzi is going to meet Pronger tomorrow. And by meet I mean his fists will meet his face. HOLLA. GO GET 'EM BERT.

PULLEESE,your dreaming in color if you think Berts going to do something to Pronger,hes scared to hit anybody that hard anymore,he may give him a couple of love taps thats about it. :D

And this is a guy that the league is thinknig of giving a Norris trophy to...I guess I'm not surprised.

Pronger is a jackass.

The only thing I agree with him on is the inconsistency of the refs...but that's been going on all season really.

Edited by Firehawk