• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Griffs of 05-06.

Rate this topic

Forwards:

With Kopecky and Hudler out of option's last year both did enough in camp to earn a spot on merit. Maybe Jiri got in on the medical problem with Johnson, but he didn't let anyone down with his play. Going for Norton looked a good idea at

the start of the season, but with the play of Filpulla when called up made it imposible for Babs to send the young Finn

back down so Big Brad took the greyhound to Van Andel, where, give him his due he did rather better than expected.

Langfeld got a rather longer run in the side than anyone expected, more due to injuries than his offensive flair, but he did what was asked, just think if he could put on another 10-15lb in muscle the guy could be a good 4th line chq fwd.

Ellis, Hussey and Bootland all got the call and played more than a handful of games each, again none let anyone down

but I don't feel any off them took the eye either.

Defence:

Meech and Quincey were the only guys who got the call and saw any ice. Although the call up of the young Ericsson

at the end gave me food for thought. I would say that Meech is similar to Lebda and although younger than Brett, he lacks the offensive tools and skating ability of Lebda. Quincey came in at the sharp end off the season and did well. In

fact he didn't do his chances of cutting the roster next year anyharm at all. I think it all depends on who the Wings sign from their UFA list, will depend on wether we see Kyle playing more next year.

So looking at the Griffins this season, I don't think we have as much talent to choose from as we did last year, but there

are several guys who can step in and do a job for a few games. More role players and less flair I would say. Looking at the roster their isn't much size in the fowards department which is the area the Wings will be looking at improving.

So will the Wings look more towards FA's or have we any guy/s from our prospect's in the jnr leagues who could be a

surprise in camp and make the move up.

My take on it.

Wings re-sign SCHNEIDER, then Quincey come's up to replace Markov. Kindl goes to GR's.

Wings let Schneider go and sign Markov, Kindl comes up Quincey stays in GR as 1st call up.

Can't see any Griffs forwards getting on the Wings roster, but keep an eye on the kid Mursak!

Speaking only on D:

Quincey is not ready to replace Markov. I'd rather the Wings re-sign Markov. Having a kid up means the kid will play with Cheli on the 3rd pair. That's fine and all but it would bump Lebda up to at least the second pair, and heck no, he is not top-4 material yet. If anything, this playoff run showed Lebda is expandable if the Wings are willing to make a deal.

Meech is out of options. He will have to clear waivers to go down next season if called up so the Wings will give him a good look in camp. Maybe Meech stays up, replaces Lebda on the third pair. Quincey can still go down without having to clear waivers so he might start the season in Grand Rapids.

Markov should be re-signed because he is a no-nonsense, stay-at-home guy who doesn't need any baby sitting from Nick. He is a very good partner for Lidstrom and has a good game so I'd like the Wings to retain him. Deal Lebda, and even Lilja since his stock is high. Gain a little cap room, deal for another d-man in the top-4 to play with Kronwall. Leave Meech on the third pair with Chelios and make Quincey the first call up. Kindl will be in GR next season, too so it still leaves options.

Speaking only on D:

Quincey is not ready to replace Markov. I'd rather the Wings re-sign Markov. Having a kid up means the kid will play with Cheli on the 3rd pair. That's fine and all but it would bump Lebda up to at least the second pair, and heck no, he is not top-4 material yet. If anything, this playoff run showed Lebda is expandable if the Wings are willing to make a deal.

Meech is out of options. He will have to clear waivers to go down next season if called up so the Wings will give him a good look in camp. Maybe Meech stays up, replaces Lebda on the third pair. Quincey can still go down without having to clear waivers so he might start the season in Grand Rapids.

Markov should be re-signed because he is a no-nonsense, stay-at-home guy who doesn't need any baby sitting from Nick. He is a very good partner for Lidstrom and has a good game so I'd like the Wings to retain him. Deal Lebda, and even Lilja since his stock is high. Gain a little cap room, deal for another d-man in the top-4 to play with Kronwall. Leave Meech on the third pair with Chelios and make Quincey the first call up. Kindl will be in GR next season, too so it still leaves options.

So, let Schneider go? Schneider/Kronwall second pair sounds pretty good to me, although they would have to commit to covering each other's asses. Kindl almost made the team last year, so I wonder what happens this year after a year of playing 30-35 (!) minutes a night. It sounds like going to GR would be a waste of time, given that Cheli's still around to be a mentor, who knows if Father Time can do two more years. Although, that does leave Ledba, Quincey and Meech out. I suppose it's a good problem to have this logjam here on D, but it would be a shame to lose some of them because of space. If Markov and Schneider are re-signed, at least one of the youngsters are going to stay on GR, and I would be surprised if that was Quincey since he played so well in the playoffs, even if he can be sent back down. This is where I'm glad I'm not a GM/coach.

I like Schneider but I don't like him with Kronwall. I know pairing Nick with Coffey helped shore up Nick's defensive game but I think Kronwall needs PP time to let his offensive game develop. Right now those minutes are going to Schneider.

And I especially don't like Schneider on the same PP unit as Nick. Both line up at the blue line, shoot bombs. When Schneider went down and Sammy took over, he would move with the puck moving the defense with him, which helped our PP.

Somewhere along the line the Wings brass has to make a decision. Guys like Meech and Quincey are knocking on the door, Kindl will be ready in a year. You have to make room for guys who have potential, and sometimes that means letting an older player go. Sure, there will be some growing pains but it'll pay off later on as the young guns gain experience.