• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Freep: Hasek decision to come by Wed.

Rate this topic

I wish we could put together something with Giguere, but sans that, I guess Dom can come back.

you'd better hope Dom comes back. Giguere isn't coming here (thank goodness) for a billion Belfour bucks. Kenny probably learned that lesson the hard way, about over-paying a goalie in hopes he would carry the team. Ottawa sure learned it with Gerber.

Taking a run at Giguere -- even discounting the fact that it would completely bust the cap -- would be a moronic move if there ever was one.

Roll the dice with Hasek again. There's no reason not to. Yes, the Wings are potentially playing Russian Roulette with his groin, but it's worth it. You're not going to find a better goaltender for around a $1M base salary.

So it's moronic to get a guy on the top of his game, with incredible playoff capability? As opposed to for a phenominal, injury proned, year to year goalie, whose best days may well be gone, based soley on sentiment? Or is it moronic to roll the dice with a dynasy in the making, perhaps? I guess it's all perspective. I'm incredibly appreciative of all Hasek has done here, and he's still a great asset. But like you said, he's a gamble. I won't throw game 6 vs the Ducks in his face here, because everyone's allowed an off night.

I also realize that Giguere probably doesn't want to come here, family loves cali, has a newborn, etc....

Anyways, ideally I'd love to see some young unknown come in and take the reigns but I realize that's wishful thinking.

Ahoy, why should we o'erpay another goalie when the out come is always the same. Not scorin' in a game will not be sol'ed by o'er payin' for another goalie.

I for one hope that Hasek comes back or we stick with Ozzie. Either way th' outcome be th' same. We win some we lose some.

So it's moronic to get a guy on the top of his game, with incredible playoff capability?

When he'll command $6M+ on the free agent market? Yes.

As opposed to for a phenominal, injury proned, year to year goalie, whose best days may well be gone, based soley on sentiment?

Yep. Considering he'll cost roughly 1/5th of what Giguere will command. I'd rather have the extra $5M available to re-sign Schneider, Bertuzzi, and/or some other players that will help flesh out a deep roster. People assumed his "best days were gone" after the Ottawa fiasco, but last year proved that he was the best free-agency signing hands down last year. You can't argue the bang-for-the-buck aspect of re-signing him.

Don't forget that Holland will also put away a $2-million Hasek "insurance policy" during the season just in case he does go down to injury, therefore giving him the option to look toward the trade deadline to find a replacement, if need be. Holland cashed that insurance policy in last February in the form of Bertuzzi and Calder.

Or is it moronic to roll the dice with a dynasy in the making, perhaps?

You can build a dynasty by effectively spending your money and managing the team's assets. Hasek, despite his risks, is worth it. If Jimmy Howard progresses as he is expected to, you can hand the reigns over to a *potential* franchise goaltender the following season.

Anyways, ideally I'd love to see some young unknown come in and take the reigns but I realize that's wishful thinking.

That player could already be in the system.

At the very least, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. But just off the top of my head thinking 'if you could have any one you want in goal for the wings...', Giguere popped in my head first.

Hasek is plenty capable when he's at his best. Here's to hoping for the best

Like I said, the owner of the place that my dad bought my Hasek jersey is a friend of Dom's and he told my dad "You have nothing to worry about....he's coming back."

-Tim

my uncles cousins friends sisters boss said he read that Hasek will make a decision next week

Guest bullocks

i don't see how the thread maker came to the conclusion that he's leaning towards returning when it doesn't state anything like that in the article.

my uncles cousins friends sisters boss said he read that Hasek will make a decision next week

Don't knock Tim. I know the same guy his dad talked to. He owns the Goalie's Den in Troy. They have a good rep with the Wings players. When I was in high school, a teammate and friend on my hockey team at the Troy Sports Center, his dad was a "kind of" part owner of the Goalie's Den as well and we would hear all these rumors and stuff from them that ended up being true.

injury proned, year to year goalie, whose best days may well be gone

Year to year? Are you kidding me?

Since 1997 Dom's GAA has never been above 2.27, mostly lower. He's won the Vezina Trophy 6 times, and he should have been nominated this season.