Matt

NHL Draft: Wings select B. Smith 27th Overall

Rate this topic

[attachmentid=455]

Brendan Smith

Defense (St. Michael's - OPJHL)

Height: 6'1.25" / Weight: 170 lbs. / Shoots: Left

Born: February 8, 1989 in Toronto, Ontario

Final CSB Ranking: 68 Mid-Term Ranking: 157 (North American Skater)

Central Scouting Report: A skilled defenseman with good puck skills... has good mobility and a good skating stride... able to join the rush well and is creative with the puck... needs to make better decisions with the puck and move it quicker... needs to improve the consistency of his physical play.

Hockey Profile: Finished his second season with St. Michael's leading all defensemen in points with 36 (12-24-36) and tied for the team lead with three short-handed goals in 2006-07... ranked third on his team, first among defensemen, with 20 points (6-14-20) in 16 playoff games in 2007... selected to participate in the CJAHL All-Star Game in 2006... played for Canada East at the 2006 World Junior A Championship, helping his team win silver... will attend the University of Wisconsin in the fall of 2007.

Personal Profile: Nickname is Smitty... wears #14 after Brendan Shanahan... patterns his game after his favorite player, Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer ...because he is so defensively sound and has great offensive skills... most memorable hockey game played: a play-off game against the Red Wings - "I scored four goals and had two assists" ...most memorable hockey game watched: the final game of the OPJHL against the Stouffville Spirit - "I was out with an injury"... his pre-game ritual always includes stickhandling... if he could invite any three people to dinner he would choose: Brendan Shanahan - "my hometown hero", Will Farrell -"the funniest person in my eyes and at dinner you need humor" and Al Gore - "he is a very intelligent person, I would love to talk to him and hear some of his wisdom"... credits his parents for having the most influence on his career for all that they have sacrificed for his hockey... admires his grandfather for his hard work... favorites include: Buffalo Sabres (NHL team), "fake backhand then go upstairs on the forehand" (shootout move), Seinfeld (TV show), NHL 2007 (video game), Anchorman (movie), Will Ferrell (actor), Cameron Diaz (actress) and Nickelback (group).

Statistics: 2006-07 St. Michael’s (OPJHL) - 39GP, 12G 24A 36PTS 90PIM

post-2-1182565196.jpg

I really like this kid. I for sure thought he was going to Ottawa , but since we got him thats great. I think he could be a good defenceman , a sound top 4 potentially D-man.

Hes big , born in Toronto which is nice. And is solid 2 ways by his scouting report.

Good job Kenny ! :thumbup:

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

I'm as shocked as anyone to see the Wings draft in the first round. A canadian at that! :P

Great pickup Kenny! Obviously another defenseman being drafted is a bit tedious, but this is great. A good North American defenseman is always a nice pick up.

hmm nothing terribly impressive there if you ask me. accept some speed. Maybe you're seeing something i'm not, but wrist shots from the point?

No!! Don't let him accept some speed :crazy: Drugs will ruin his career.

hmm nothing terribly impressive there if you ask me. accept some speed. Maybe you're seeing something i'm not, but wrist shots from the point?

Just a link to a video -- nothing more, nothing less. If I come across more, I'll post them.

In about 4 years he'll be 200 to 210.

thats good to hear someone knows about this guys future weight gain. Kudos, man apparently jesus. :clap:

sounds alot like brett lebda, which is good, but brett lebda will hit.. this kid sounds a little soft but you never know.

my big worry... hes an al gore fan... which doesnt exactly let me take him super serial. :unsure: (that ones for south park fans)

besides all that i could see this maybe being good . but we need some defensive d in our future though too. (just a reminder for ya if your readin' kenny)

I'll be honest, I kinda wanted Petrecki seeing as he was available at the 27th spot, but I am just glad that we drafted a defenceman. And having someone with speed and puck-carrying abilities from the back-end is always a good thing, so I'd say I'm satisified with us taking Brendan Smith.

What I do find interesting is the fact that TSN's is the only prospect ranking that seems to have Smith listed as a potential first round draft pick. The Wings must really seeing something in him.

my big worry... hes an al gore fan... which doesnt exactly let me take him super serial. :unsure:

Good to have some level-headed Wings fans on this board that don't by into all of that silly open-mindedness bull crap. :P

From a guy at HF Boards:

Back during Nieds' draft year, THN had a quote that was something along the lines of "Just picks up and goes, but he can't do that in the NHL". That's Smith.

He's a remarkable skater and has the hands and hockey sense to dominate offensively. His slapper is formidable. And when he wants to play D... he can wrestle guys off the puck and close gaps better than anyone with his speed.

...but he doesn't do it often enough. He prefers to sit up high and dazzle with the puck.

Attitude problems (cockiness), his lack of defensive commitment and the choice to play Ontario Jr. A have all hurt his stock. CSB barely acknowledges his existence; other scouting services have done the same. But I really feel that if he spends as much time playing D as he does O, he'll be a star in the NHL.

Thankfully, we know our guys watch the OPJHL, and Lowe covets defensemen.... he's a natural pick. I just have the sense some team is going to grab him real early.

Sounds good to me.

:huh:

With intensive weight training, diet, & natural process of aging where men aren't physically 100% developed until their early to mid 20's - for a 18 yr old who's 6'1"/6'2" it's more than likely he'll add 30 plus pounds (mostly muscle) in the next 4 to 6 years...Don't need to be Jesus; just knowledgable of the human anatomy, & the effects of a proper diet, & intense weight training :rolleyes:

ahh i was just more than anything yanking your chain about your statement, i just thought the way you said it with a specific weight and date just came off kind of weird and funny. i get what your saying, but honeslty i doubt still he will ever be over 200

he seems to have some nice offensive skills from the back plus he looks really fast which is a + ........now it sucks that we gotta wait till 88th and 148th for our next picks lol ..............anyone else regretting the bertuzzi trade ? especially if he doesnt come back ? i really liked matthias he's a big guy , but i wont complain you win some , you lose some