• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mickeyisms Rule!

Stephen Weiss

Rate this topic

According to Spector, Stephen Weiss and the Panthers are going nowhere in their talks. As I don't know a heckuva lot about this guy, I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts.

He's listed at 5'11" 191 lbs and plays center. 20 goals last year with 28 assists.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the lineup we have now, but could this guy be the second liner we are looking for to allow Pasha and Zetts to play together on the first line?

Guest Crymson

According to Spector, Stephen Weiss and the Panthers are going nowhere in their talks. As I don't know a heckuva lot about this guy, I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts.

He's listed at 5'11" 191 lbs and plays center. 20 goals last year with 28 assists.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the lineup we have now, but could this guy be the second liner we are looking for to allow Pasha and Zetts to play together on the first line?

Do we really want to spend the money and roster space on another undersized forward?

Edited by Crymson

Do we really want to spend the money and roster space on another undersized forward?

If he produces 25+ goals and 50+ points and helps us get to the playoffs....why not? 5'11" at a buck ninety-one isn't exactly undersized, I'm 5'11" and barely a buck sixety and I'm not exactly tiny; if he is built like a tank then he could be powerful, so why not add him?

If the man can shoot, pass, has some speed and is tough, why not add him?

I just want to see what Grigs can do.... Weiss is tempting, but he isn't exactly what this team needs. We need size, scoring, toughness, and grit.... Weiss only provides one of those factors.

You forgot the other thing he brings to the table, the fact he is a geek! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp1yAV6Nw2M

Weiss is a good player. He'd be a major upgrade over Hudler.

Still, he's an RFA, and that would mean giving up something in a trade or making an offer sheet at him, which is a pain. I wouldn't mind giving up Hudler or something for him though, if it came to that.

I just want to see what Grigs can do.... Weiss is tempting, but he isn't exactly what this team needs. We need size, scoring, toughness, and grit.... Weiss only provides one of those factors.

I can certainly appreciate "wanting to see what Grigs can do." But with our current lineup we have a lot of those "X" factors in there.

X- Can Hudler raise his game?

X- Can Filppula step his game up from last season and be a seond liner?

X- Can Grigs cut it at the NHL level?

X- Will our top forwards stay healthy?

X- Who is our second line?

Weiss is young (24), and at 191lbs, isn't a wisp of a guy. He's no Penner, but he isn't tiny, either. With his age he really is on the upswing of his career AND he's North American, to boot. While he's not from Michigan, he is from Toronto, which makes him sort of a hometown guy.

Dunno, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Rumor has it that Edmonton may put an offer sheet to him (M4)

Dunno, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Rumor has it that Edmonton may put an offer sheet to him (M4)

Is that an Eklund parody? :lol:

I like the idea of Weiss. Yeah, he's a bit small, but he's still bigger than Hudler, who is currently our 2nd line center. He's also a proven scorer, and fairly young.

...and before we start saying "Hudz had crap minuts!!!!!!!11one" and comparing the point totals, I assure you Weiss is a much better player than Hudler. He has good scoring potential, and is a good two way player also.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I don't think Huds will be the second line center, to start the season I am pretty sure you will see either D or Z there.

Unless there is a struggle to score goals (which there could be) the team has stated their intentions multiple times is to split those two up,

Z is a natural center and could be even better as a center than he was on the wing.

If he produces 25+ goals and 50+ points and helps us get to the playoffs....why not? 5'11" at a buck ninety-one isn't exactly undersized, I'm 5'11" and barely a buck sixety and I'm not exactly tiny; if he is built like a tank then he could be powerful, so why not add him?

No worries, Columbus and Chicago will be all the help the Red Wings need to make the playoffs. :D

This guy is asking for up to $3.5M, I believe I heard on TSN.

Way too much, sure he has alot of potential, still young, but damn... You don't just fork out a hefty contract like that to a guy with one half decent season under his belt. At least Dustin Penner has already proven his physical aspect.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Weiss was on my fantasy team last year and i'm pretty sure he battled injuries early on or he would've had even better numbers. He also plays second-fiddle on a s***ty panthers team.

IMO, he'd make a fine 2nd line player for us with really good offensive instincts. He is definitely capable 2nd line guy for us.

exactly. And as an RFA, he'd cost us picks too.

Yes it is. In 2003 the average size in the NHL was 6'1" and 200 lbs. And I'm guessing it's only gotten bigger since then.

Just to get a fuller picture of Weiss, he's been pretty injury prone in his brief NHL career.

25-Jun-07: Florida Panthers tendered a qualifying offer.

29-Dec-06: Missed 7 games (shoulder injury).

27-Dec-06: Shoulder injury, sidelined indefinitely.

14-Dec-06: Shoulder injury, day-to-day.

16-Nov-06: Missed 1 game (sprained knee).

12-Nov-06: Sprained knee, day-to-day.

18-Apr-06: Missed the last 41 games of the regular season (wrist injury).

19-Jan-06: Wrist injury, remainder of the regular season.

03-Jan-06: Wrist injury, sidelined indefinitely.

He seems like a good player, but not one we need, especially since he's an RFA.

The Wings will have no problems making the playoffs. As Crymson pointed out, they're not really in need of an undersized center. They need a big scoring winger.

exactly. And as an RFA, he'd cost us picks too.

Yes it is. In 2003 the average size in the NHL was 6'1" and 200 lbs. And I'm guessing it's only gotten bigger since then.

I don't know Mr. Harold... I mean ever since after the lock out, alot of the big 6'6", 260 lb. goons have exited the league, probably decreasing the average.

I don't know Mr. Harold... I mean ever since after the lock out, alot of the big 6'6", 260 lb. goons have exited the league, probably decreasing the average.

Exactly.

It's been said that the "New NHL" if you will, has become more user friendly for small players. By small, I mean really small. Like Hudler small.

Weiss isn't that small. He's 5'11, but he's still pretty close to being 6'0, and the Wings could always use more players that are at least that.

Exactly.

It's been said that the "New NHL" if you will, has become more user friendly for small players. By small, I mean really small. Like Hudler small.

Weiss isn't that small. He's 5'11, but he's still pretty close to being 6'0, and the Wings could always use more players that are at least that.

Still, on the wings the average height and weight is 5'10 163lbs.

I hope that Florida resigns him quickly, so we don't have to hear about him anymore on this forum.

I hope your computer breaks so we dont have to listen to you anymore. Are you always this negative?

I hope that Florida resigns him quickly, so we don't have to hear about him anymore on this forum.

You could always ignore the thread I guess.

Sorry to be captain obvious but that is what I am good at!!

And besides, it could have been another Feds or Enforcer thread!

Edited by Opie

I hope your computer breaks so we dont have to listen to you anymore. Are you always this negative?

I wouldn't say always, but most of the time. As for Weiss, he's got skill, but not what we need at this moment on our roster. There's no reason to use our free cap space on him. However, ever since Holland signed Dallas Drake I wouldn't be surprised by anything right now.

like who?

yeah, teams no longer carry giants like that.

*cough* boogaard *cough*

Sure some marginal guys have gone, but with the exception of the Red Wings, teams haven't gotten smaller. I'd bet that the league average is still at least 6'1 and 200+ lbs.

From 2005, as in the "New NHL."

NEW YORK (CP) - The average NHL player just keeps getting bigger and bigger

An NHL study of opening-night rosters came to the conclusion that the average weight of a player is 204.9 pounds this season, the heaviest since the league started keeping track in 1972-73.

It's up from 204.6 pounds in 2003-04, 194.4 pounds in 1993-94, 189.1 pounds in 1983-84 and 184.5 pounds in 1972-73.

The average player this season is six foot one, which has been the average height since 1994-95. The average was five foot 11 in 1972-73

So Weiss isn't terribly undersized, but he's still not what the Wings need. Especially for what they would have to give up since he's an RFA.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

ANOTHER center? Cleary, Franzen, Draper, Flip, Hank, and Datsyuk are all natural centers. At this point, the only guy that Detroit will probably have in the top 6 that ISNT a center is Homer. If we got Weiss, not only would our top-6 be completely unbalanced, it would feature 5/6 centers.