• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheels

Pronger Strikes Again

Rate this topic

Former Washington Capital Pat Peake about his battle with mono a fractured larynx:

"Yeah, [Chris] Pronger cross-checked me in the throat. I remember that now that you bring it up. I got slashed in the throat in St. Louis and had to spend four or five days there. And I had mono. I played 18 games with mono before I realized I had it. I remember Jack Button said, �'What the hell�' what's the matter with you?�' I said, 'I'm trying. I'm really trying." He said, 'Well, we're going to send you to Portland for the weekend.' It was the first time I had been sent down. He said, 'Go to the doctor, get your blood work, this and that, and go to Portland for the weekend and get your [act] together."

The remainder of the article: http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=336140]http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=336140

Edited by WingedWheels

i've been cross checked in the thorat, not a fun thing to happen to a guy. I remember it was completely debilitating and after it happened i had to crawl to my bench, choking from the shock. Then i got mad, really really mad. It's a despicable thing to do to a person, because it's almost impossible to do on accident and it's something that's going to injure someone no matter how you do it. A big hit in open ice is cool, even a slash or heck even a spear can at times be something were it wasn't ment to be as bad as it was. But if a guy checks you in the throat he's meaning to take you out of a game.

10 plus years ago 1 of my beer-league teammates was crosschecked to the back of his head/neck...Needless to say I didn't hesitate to jump the offender :flamingmad:

Looking back I don't regret jumping in to aid/defend my teammate, but during the ensuing scuffle the guy had injured his knee - requiring to be taken off the ice on a stretcher :unsure: ..... I felt horrible after the adrenaline rush wore off since I never intended to injure him, & I apologized for my actions as he was leaving the ice - like a man he shook my hand, & accepted my apology.

Now that is what we need more of. Hits on the ice, defend your teammates, and then gentlemanly behaviour off the ice (or at least after the play). I applaud you for both. I realize a beer league is a bit different as the guy doesn't get paid whilst he's out with the injury. You wouldn't be looking for a job as a 13th forward, would you?

This is suppose to be one of the NHL's top defencive players what a frigin hack! Just think of all the young kids who idolize this idiot ! So for all of us that coach or have kids playing hockey for godsake teach the game the right way, how to play rough without the cheap shots and respect for the oppisition :!:

I know a couple of guys that have met him and actually played some hockey with him in the past couple of years. They said he's a nice guy. But they also said you could tell that he's still trying to get over how his career ended. A lot of people thought he had the talent to be a good scorer in the NHL.

It's too bad how his career ended and only personifies the argument for automatic icing.

I know a couple of guys that have met him and actually played some hockey with him in the past couple of years. They said he's a nice guy. But they also said you could tell that he's still trying to get over how his career ended. A lot of people thought he had the talent to be a good scorer in the NHL.

It's too bad how his career ended and only personifies the argument for automatic icing.

Hank, you're talking about Pat Peake right? Many, MANY years ago I used to work with a girl who dated him, she broke up with him and ended marrying a FG kicker from U of M. ( that was like 15 years ago though so please don't ask me her name :lol: )

Hank, you're talking about Pat Peake right? Many, MANY years ago I used to work with a girl who dated him, she broke up with him and ended marrying a FG kicker from U of M. ( that was like 15 years ago though so please don't ask me her name :lol: )

LOL! I guess chicks dig the long snap. ;)

Guest GordieSid&Ted

10 plus years ago 1 of my beer-league teammates was crosschecked to the back of his head/neck...Needless to say I didn't hesitate to jump the offender :flamingmad:

Looking back I don't regret jumping in to aid/defend my teammate, but during the ensuing scuffle the guy had injured his knee - requiring to be taken off the ice on a stretcher :unsure: ..... I felt horrible after the adrenaline rush wore off since I never intended to injure him, & I apologized for my actions as he was leaving the ice - like a man he shook my hand, & accepted my apology.

Most (except maybe 1 or 2) altercations I ever had in beer league ended up being no big deal after the game. I think part of that might have been that you saw each other in the dressing room right afterwards and the other part being that you should be man enough to leave it on the ice. Of course that doesn't always happen but you do your best to facilitate an amicable ending to the day. Like somebody said, we don't get paid to do this. Hockey is passionate but you do have to leave it on the field of play I think.

Although, there was this one time a guy cross-checked a teammate of mine in the face and knocked out one of his front teeth. Suffice to say he was unhappy about it. The injustice of the whole thing was that it was during a scrum and nobody was doing anything that warranted a cross check in the mouth, just some shoving and such. To top it off the guy who did it was a part time ref in the league and buddies with the other refs and they didn't call it even though it happened in front of both of them.

After the game my teammate went over to the office where the guy who ran the facility was hanging out with the offender and words were exchanged, next thing you know we're trying to get into the office to bust some heads and they're trying to get out of the office to bust our heads. That episode did not end on friendly terms.

I was playing in a pickup league about 2 years back and one of our guys took a brutal cheapshot, elbow to the head that ended up putting him in the hospital for a night and on the IR for the next 3-4 games. Anyways we didnt do anything, we went on the powerplay and that was our enforcer. Moreover 3 more similar incidents happened the same season and for all three we took to action instead we waited to the offseason and signed an old highschool star who was now 58 and was a shadow of his former self. We showed them didnt we!