• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Booster313

Trade Deadline Options

Rate this topic

I would pass on Naslund, he's never been the same player since he got hit by Moore, and Bert left.. But Sundin would be sweet if the Leafs are right out of it

Its about time you stopped blaming Moore because Naslund sucks,also Bert sucks too so your only option is Sundin who btw is better than Naslund and Bert together.

IMO trading for Sundin is not worth it. There is 0% of him resigning and even if we win the cup with him, we lose prospects who we have been grooming and developing for years. Not even close to worth it. Trading draft picks is one thing.... but trading players that have been in the system forever for a rental with no chance in resigning is something I don't see Kenny doing.

I'd give up any prospect if it ment winning the Cup. That is the be all end all of hockey. Yeah, it'd suck to lose prospects, but to acquire Mats Sundin, and win a cup, that is better then having those prospects.

Draft picks are nice, but people dont realize were a relativly young team, Chelios, Drake and Hasek are our "old" players. We have good talent in the farm and the prospect pool. I think Kenny is like anyone, he wants to win a cup, he wants to be the best GM in the NHL, and he's doing a good job of it, adding a Stanley Cup just makes it sweeter :sly: .

The Wings would be wise to try to capitalize on the next few seasons, because happy times are going to be over when Lidstrom is gone. If Sundin could really be had for picks+prospects, there isn't much I wouldn't be willing to give up to make it happen.

sundin would be an awesome pick-up... zetter and dats would feed him all day whether it be even strength or PP. I would conserned about the amount required to get him though... im sure 1 or 2 young roster guys like filppula and hudler would be involved as well as a solid young prospect and probably a pick or two. thats quite a bit for an almost 40 year old, even if he is in the top 5 or so for scoring so far. Ryder or Madano is more realistic and I was just saying the other day to my friend that Dallas would be wise to move him, even if he is one of the 'stars' in Dallas. he doesn;t have the same role for them that he used to, they just arent the same team anymore, and i think that if they could get a young player with upside and prospect or pick it would be worth it.

Mats Sundin is currently what, top-5 in NHL scoring? If he even stays in the top-10, there's no way he'll get traded for a potential second-liner and a couple of "might be" prospects. The Leafs will demand guaranteed return for Mats.

You are the voice of reason in this insanity. The Leafs are not going to want guys like friggin' Meech for Sundin, he's a dime a dozen guy...nothing special. Every team in the NHL has their versions of Meech. The Leafs will demand Kindl, or there will be no deal with Detroit. Kindl along with another fairly good rated prospect, a '08 1st and probably a '09 2nd is what it would look like. No Meech, no Hudler, no Sammy, no Lilja, no Kopecky, ETC!

first of all mats sundin will not be leaving toronto. this is incredibly unlikely but after seeing the oilers get rid of their heart and soul last year i suppose anything is possible. if he were to leave toronto at the deadline the leafs would demand something ridiculous in return. however, mats wouldnt leave to play for just any team and i think the wings would be one of the only ones he would even consider so maybe then we could get him for less.

first of all mats sundin will not be leaving toronto. this is incredibly unlikely but after seeing the oilers get rid of their heart and soul last year i suppose anything is possible. if he were to leave toronto at the deadline the leafs would demand something ridiculous in return. however, mats wouldnt leave to play for just any team and i think the wings would be one of the only ones he would even consider so maybe then we could get him for less.

Oh yes, the theory that because Mats Sundin has a no-trade clause, he'll only waive to go to like 3 different teams, therby lowering his trade value.

Wrong. Mats isn't the kind of guy to put a gun to management's head with demands like a list of teams that he'll go to. I know what Mats will do/say. He'll allow the Leafs to go out and negotiate his trade and then he'll pick which one he wants.

The Leafs aren't going to go soft on this trade, if it happens. Mats Sundin is the heart and soul of his team, he's the highest scoring Maple Leaf in franchise history and he's been the captain for over 10 years. He's also still one of the best players in the world. He has immense trade value and the Leafs will look to get every last bit of value out of him that they can.

Mats is an extremely loyal guy. He would probably go to whichever team he felt was giving the Leafs the best deal for his services. That's just the kind of guy he is. He also has a lot of pride and would want to be traded for his true value.

This isn't like adding a broken down old has-been at the deadline who's on his last legs, or a guy who is coming off a serious injury. This is a guy, that despite being 37, can still get the job done with the best of them. He's not a complementary part, or a 2nd liner, he's a #1 center, a top-scoring forward.

You aren't going to get a sweetheart deal for him. No Bertuzzi-like conditions (except perhaps a condtional pick based on if he re-signs, which is highly unlikely), no sluffing off underperforming prospects with some potential left in them.

It's going to cost top-level prospects and top picks. There's no way around it. I'll keep saying this: If Detroit won't ante up, somebody else will.

Realistically I think the only viable options would be in the Ryder category. IMHO I think Sundin will be too expensive as a rental player, he will pull a Tkachuk, finish the season and then back to the leafs.

Hossa would be too expensive to sign next year, and the team will need to focus on keeping Zetterberg, and Lids they are big keys for the immediate future.

Ryder, Gratton, and some one from another failing team would probably be a better option.

A trade along the lines of the Schneider deal, where Holland thinks he has a chance to keep the guy long term, or at least sign him for a couple of years.

I hate giving up a player, prospects, for a one year rental, especially if there is no chance of getting the guy back. At least with Bert last season the team thought they had a chance at re-signing him.

You are the voice of reason in this insanity. The Leafs are not going to want guys like friggin' Meech for Sundin, he's a dime a dozen guy...nothing special. Every team in the NHL has their versions of Meech. The Leafs will demand Kindl, or there will be no deal with Detroit. Kindl along with another fairly good rated prospect, a '08 1st and probably a '09 2nd is what it would look like. No Meech, no Hudler, no Sammy, no Lilja, no Kopecky, ETC!

Right. Sundin is a franchise player, and it would take a farm to bring him here. It would be like if we traded Yzerman when he was 36. I say pass on him, let another team, hopefully in the East, break the bank for him.

The only position I'd like to see us make a big move would be for a Goalie. If Hasek tanks, then I can see us go after a #1 between the pipes. A friend of mine said on TSN a few weeks ago they made mention of the Wings being interested in Vokoun if Florida is out of the playoff picture. Now that would be huge!

I'd also like to see a 3rd line guy would could add some grit and timely goal scoring.

I know this is not a trade but the yotes place josh gratton on waivers, could be a good roleplayer/fighter to have on the team next year as Downey most likely wont be with us next year, he may not even be with us for this whole year. the guy is only 25 and can go with the best of em, wouldn't mind having him on the 4th line next year with kopecky and whoever.

I know this is not a trade but the yotes place josh gratton on waivers, could be a good roleplayer/fighter to have on the team next year as Downey most likely wont be with us next year, he may not even be with us for this whole year. the guy is only 25 and can go with the best of em, wouldn't mind having him on the 4th line next year with kopecky and whoever.

I would love Gratton as a Wing, espesialy after last night against the Blows. But, given Holland's stance on fighters it will not happen.

Modano: A shell of his former shelf, if Dallas continues to struggle he may be moved as a rental player. He is in the last year of his contract and being from sterling heights, Detroit would be a likely option if he is to be moved.
Wow, are we already in the 2009-2010 season? Yea, Modano signed a five-year deal in August of 2005.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Oh yes, the theory that because Mats Sundin has a no-trade clause, he'll only waive to go to like 3 different teams, therby lowering his trade value.

Wrong. Mats isn't the kind of guy to put a gun to management's head with demands like a list of teams that he'll go to. I know what Mats will do/say. He'll allow the Leafs to go out and negotiate his trade and then he'll pick which one he wants.

Than why would he even want to get traded. I can only think of going to a contender would be his only incentive. Detroit, and San Jose are the only teams with cap space in the west who are also currently contenders.

Detroit has more swedes + close freinds.

So basically we only have to outbid one team.

I would say Kindl, Filppula, 1st in '08, 1st in '09 (possibly conditional based on Mats re-signing) and a 2nd in '09 is the bare minimum of what it would take to get Mats Sundin.

If a bidding war starts, it may take more than that.

So youre saying

To TOR: Kindl AND Filppula AND 1st in 08 AND 1st in 09 AND 2nd in 09

To Det: Sundin?

Thats it? You dont want to add Zetterberg and Datsyuk while youre at it?

I can understand that Mats will command a lot, but the guy is older, a UFA, and putting up big points on a team that doesnt play defense. Seriously, Holland would hang up on JFJ is trade negotiations STARTED with what you proposed. And I really cant see any team offering 3 top picks and 2 top young players for a guy who doesnt even want to leave the Leafs in the first place, and would be a high risk for ditching the team he was traded to post-playoffs.

If the Preds are out of it, Id like to see Detroit go after Dumont. No, hes not a gritty guy, but hes as cheap a sniper as there is out there.

Don't forget that the Cap's are yet to sign Alex O and he could become a free agent this summer. Therefore unless he manages to turn the Cap's season around he could be available as a rental player. He desperately wants to get into the playoffs. And you know the Caps would likely prefer to send him to a Western team at the deadline if it come down to that. Check this Ottawa Sun article out....

Alex O. Ottawa Sun artile

"ALEX THE GREAT

Where exactly the Washington Capitals are in their negotiations with star Alexander Ovechkin, general manager George McPhee is not saying. He wants to keep contract talks as private as possible to avoid the daily questions and potential distractions. The Caps have enough on their plates on the ice, without any off-ice issues.

Bottom line is McPhee simply has to find a way to sign his star, who potentially could become an unrestricted free agent in the summer, but the Caps are not likely to let that happen. The question is whether the $8.7 million US, on average, the Pittsburgh Penguins are paying Sidney Crosby, will be enough for Ovechkin. There have been reports the 22-year-old has rejected that figure, but they also have been denied.

The Ovechkin pot got stirred this past week when he was quoted by a Soviet reporter, who is based in the U.S., as saying: "I don't know yet where I will be next season. I am not negotiating my new contract. I want to stay in Washington. But who knows what is going to happen?"

Who knows, indeed.

Like we said, the Caps just have to get it done. According to stats the club issued before their game last night, Ovechkin had scored three of their past four goals and had accounted for 29.3% of their goals this season. Only Kovalchuk had a higher percentage, at 30.6%. And despite that the Caps were in last place."

How great would it be to see him in the playoffs this year on a line with Pavel & Hank??!!!

As bad as the Cap's have played in the 1st quarter, it's not out of the question.

Edited by Alex Ovechkin

As much as i want them to wheel and deal, i dont want them to jepordize the future. But, Oli Jokinen has been a player the panthers wouldnt mind shopping. His contract is 5.2m a year and wont be a 1 year fodder.

I believe we could snag him for Franzen and Sammuelson and maybe throw in a high pick and/or a prospect that isnt Abeldekader or Kindl. That is two Top 6 Forwards and, A High Selection Draft Pick. And a possible lower projected prospect. And it would be worth it for both squads.

That would Solidify our offence for a couple years. and could still have enough room to lock up Zetterberg long term. Not to mention if Lindstrom decided to retire, we would have enough room to lock up Jokinen.

And another player id like to aquire would be Chris Gratton a big gritty guy who isnt over the hill still has a few years of productivity left. And we wouldnt have to rob the craddle to get him.

My only worry is after Cheli and Lindstrom retire.

we will have the following.

Rafalski-Lebda

Kronwall - Quincey

Kindl - Meech

*Lilja*But i hope he is gone soon*

Does that sound promising? i dont think so. Rafalski is good, but without Nick he wont be nearly as good. Lebda Kronner Quincey. top 4 D-Men? Eeek. and Kindl and Meech with the 5-6. not bad. But its highly Undersized overall..

Thats my take on future trade deadlines and what i want and i what can be expected if it went that way, all in all i think it'd be worth it.

As much as i want them to wheel and deal, i dont want them to jepordize the future. But, Oli Jokinen has been a player the panthers wouldnt mind shopping. His contract is 5.2m a year and wont be a 1 year fodder.

I believe we could snag him for Franzen and Sammuelson and maybe throw in a high pick and/or a prospect that isnt Abeldekader or Kindl. That is two Top 6 Forwards and, A High Selection Draft Pick. And a possible lower projected prospect. And it would be worth it for both squads.

That would Solidify our offence for a couple years. and could still have enough room to lock up Zetterberg long term. Not to mention if Lindstrom decided to retire, we would have enough room to lock up Jokinen.

And another player id like to aquire would be Chris Gratton a big gritty guy who isnt over the hill still has a few years of productivity left. And we wouldnt have to rob the craddle to get him.

My only worry is after Cheli and Lindstrom retire.

we will have the following.

Rafalski-Lebda

Kronwall - Quincey

Kindl - Meech

*Lilja*But i hope he is gone soon*

Does that sound promising? i dont think so. Rafalski is good, but without Nick he wont be nearly as good. Lebda Kronner Quincey. top 4 D-Men? Eeek. and Kindl and Meech with the 5-6. not bad. But its highly Undersized overall..

Thats my take on future trade deadlines and what i want and i what can be expected if it went that way, all in all i think it'd be worth it.

Give up on this Jokinen for Franzen and Sammy crap. While they may be seeing second line time on this team, neither are actually legit quality top 6'ers. If they were, then we wouldnt be having problems!! No way in hell they give up Jokinen for that, come on...be serious. At least throw Filppula in there cause he'd be going the other way for sure.

looks like calgary and buffalo may be out of the playoff hunt this year... how good would Huselius look in the winged wheel?? lankow is a free agent as well... it looks like we may need a solid d-man, cambell is available. dont know what it would take, but any one of these guys would be a good pick up.

Don't forget that the Cap's are yet to sign Alex O and he could become a free agent this summer. Therefore unless he manages to turn the Cap's season around he could be available as a rental player. He desperately wants to get into the playoffs. And you know the Caps would likely prefer to send him to a Western team at the deadline if it come down to that. Check this Ottawa Sun article out....

Alex O. Ottawa Sun artile

"ALEX THE GREAT

Where exactly the Washington Capitals are in their negotiations with star Alexander Ovechkin, general manager George McPhee is not saying. He wants to keep contract talks as private as possible to avoid the daily questions and potential distractions. The Caps have enough on their plates on the ice, without any off-ice issues.

Bottom line is McPhee simply has to find a way to sign his star, who potentially could become an unrestricted free agent in the summer, but the Caps are not likely to let that happen. The question is whether the $8.7 million US, on average, the Pittsburgh Penguins are paying Sidney Crosby, will be enough for Ovechkin. There have been reports the 22-year-old has rejected that figure, but they also have been denied.

The Ovechkin pot got stirred this past week when he was quoted by a Soviet reporter, who is based in the U.S., as saying: "I don't know yet where I will be next season. I am not negotiating my new contract. I want to stay in Washington. But who knows what is going to happen?"

Who knows, indeed.

Like we said, the Caps just have to get it done. According to stats the club issued before their game last night, Ovechkin had scored three of their past four goals and had accounted for 29.3% of their goals this season. Only Kovalchuk had a higher percentage, at 30.6%. And despite that the Caps were in last place."

How great would it be to see him in the playoffs this year on a line with Pavel & Hank??!!!

As bad as the Cap's have played in the 1st quarter, it's not out of the question.

You need to stick to NHL07 or whatever it is. We don't have the cap space for Alex O and we still have to give Z a bucket of money this summer. Let's see, who would Washington want in a trade for Alex? Z? Datsuk? Lids.

It really IS out of the question

You need to stick to NHL07 or whatever it is. We don't have the cap space for Alex O and we still have to give Z a bucket of money this summer. Let's see, who would Washington want in a trade for Alex? Z? Datsuk? Lids.

It really IS out of the question

well...in NHL 08 my red wings have Z, dats, Alex O, Malkin, and Hossa

and the finnish stonewall lee jackson

looks like calgary and buffalo may be out of the playoff hunt this year... how good would Huselius look in the winged wheel?? lankow is a free agent as well... it looks like we may need a solid d-man, cambell is available. dont know what it would take, but any one of these guys would be a good pick up.

Huselius is a winger version of Datsyuk. I'd take Langkow, but Calgary isnt going to trade either of them. If they'd trade Nolan, he'd be worth picking up for some scoring and some grit. (He'd be alot cheaper then Langkow and Huselius too)