• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lnvincible

Odds of detroit making a blockbuster?

Rate this topic

Some players that could "realistically come here"

All are UFAs next year and are on non-playoff, or bubble teams right now.

Forwards:

Radim Vrbata, RW, PHX

Trent Hunter, RW, NYI

Vaclav Prospal, C, TBL

David Legwand, C, NAS

JP Dumont, R, NAS

Defense:

Jim Vandermeer, CHI

Nolan Pratt, Buf

Hal Gill, TOR *

*Don't laugh. He may be slow, He has the size missing on Detroit's blueline. He'd be easy to accquire, and Detroit have a steep history of turning washed up Leafs' defencemen into key role players)

Holland trades for SERGEI FEDOROV at the trade deadline for 3rd round pick and Meech. He then comes to Detroit and becomes HOCKEY JESUS, grabbing the team by its reins and leading us to sweeps over the Hawks(1st round) Ducks(2nd round) Avalanche(3rd round) . SERGEI FEDOROV gets at least 4 points in every playoff game and plays every penalty kill and power play and becomes the bona fide enforcer for the team. Then, in game 7 against the Senators in the last seconds of quadruple overtime SERGEI FEDOROV steals the puck and races down the ice, dekes the goalie and scores with just half a second left. Immediately as the confetti falls and the crowd roars Steve Yzerman jumps from the rafters, pulling a rope down with him that raises NUMBER NINETY ONE to the rafters while choirs of angels sing Fedorovs name to the heavens...

single best/funniest post on LGW of 2007. 0m. huds, you are my new fav person on the boards.

i sense the sarcasm, and yet, still wish it would happen. :lol::lol::lol:

Some players that could "realistically come here"

All are UFAs next year and are on non-playoff, or bubble teams right now.

Forwards:

Radim Vrbata, RW, PHX

Trent Hunter, RW, NYI

Vaclav Prospal, C, TBL

David Legwand, C, NAS

JP Dumont, R, NAS

Defense:

Jim Vandermeer, CHI

Nolan Pratt, Buf

Hal Gill, TOR *

*Don't laugh. He may be slow, He has the size missing on Detroit's blueline. He'd be easy to accquire, and Detroit have a steep history of turning washed up Leafs' defencemen into key role players)

I've crossed out the ones that I don't think are realistic, only because of inter-divisional trades being a rarity. When they actually become UFAs, perhaps, but not before then.

I've crossed out the ones that I don't think are realistic, only because of inter-divisional trades being a rarity. When they actually become UFAs, perhaps, but not before then.

What about the Jason Williams deal last year? A Vandermeer trade seems more unlikely due to the fact that I see him as a player Chicago would like to hang on to. But it's at least a possibilty.

Immediately as the confetti falls and the crowd roars Steve Yzerman jumps from the rafters, pulling a rope down with him that raises NUMBER NINETY ONE to the rafters while choirs of angels sing Fedorovs name to the heavens...

I laughed.

Oh how I laughed.

Unless there's a deal offered that Kenny just can't refuse, I don't see him making a big splash this year in trades. The team's coming together and playing well, the demand for prospects and picks is insane, and the return on investment just isn't there. Sellers are gonna ask for the farm for 3 month rentals, and buyers are gonna mortgage their future for marginal improvements. Barring injuries (in which case Kenny might be forced to pull a trade), the current team is what we'll see in the playoffs, with maybe a minor tweak or two.

Here's my question on this point... They have 5 million left. What rental player(s) are there to be had for that and what small army are they willing to give up for those player(s) at the trade deadline?

Theyll use some, if not all of that space...it just might not be something as excitng as we think. The Wings could add a couple of players to take up that space. Consider this:

Trent Hunter and Satan for Samuelsson, a 2nd rounder, and a mid-level prospect

- The Wings get 2 UFAs not performing up to their potential. The Isles get cheap secondary scoring for next season and a couple bonuses. Again, its not exactly the best trade possible, but its realistic, cheap, and would give the Wings a decent sniper on the PP and a big body on the lower lines.

Jim Vandermeer for a 3rd round pick.

- The Wings get a reliable bottom-pairing Dman who knows his role as a stay at home Dman and is a big body to lock down small opposing forwards.

That would be about 4 million worth of cap space used up. No, its nothing particularly exciting, but it does flesh out the team. Not really any impact players involved, but a small upgrade on offense with Satan over Sammy, and a decent stay at home defenseman.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Homer

Hudler-Zetterberg-Satan

Cleary-Draper-Hunter

Maltby-Franzen-Kopecky

Drake - Downey - Ellis

Lids-Kronner

Raffi-Vandermeer

Cheli-Lebda

Lilja-Meech

One thing you have to consider is that, for a guy like Satan for example, a lot of playoff bound teams wont get into a bidding war for him because they wont have the cap space to. If youve only got limited cap space, and you need to add a top 6 forward, youll offer up the goodies for somebody cheaper, like Legwand, Dumont, Prospal, etc.

Other guys that the Wings might land that wouldnt be too exciting, but would be a slight upgrade for the Wings and would come cheap (depending on if said team is out of the playoffs or not): Comrie, Lapointe, Fedorov, Vyborny, Foote, Stuart, Ryder, Avery, Straka, Malone, Eaton, Orpik, Gratton, etc.

Theyll use some, if not all of that space...it just might not be something as excitng as we think. The Wings could add a couple of players to take up that space. Consider this:

- The Wings get 2 UFAs not performing up to their potential. The Isles get cheap secondary scoring for next season and a couple bonuses. Again, its not exactly the best trade possible, but its realistic, cheap, and would give the Wings a decent sniper on the PP and a big body on the lower lines.

- The Wings get a reliable bottom-pairing Dman who knows his role as a stay at home Dman and is a big body to lock down small opposing forwards.

That would be about 4 million worth of cap space used up. No, its nothing particularly exciting, but it does flesh out the team. Not really any impact players involved, but a small upgrade on offense with Satan over Sammy, and a decent stay at home defenseman.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Homer

Hudler-Zetterberg-Satan

Cleary-Draper-Hunter

Maltby-Franzen-Kopecky

Drake - Downey - Ellis

Lids-Kronner

Raffi-Vandermeer

Cheli-Lebda

Lilja-Meech

One thing you have to consider is that, for a guy like Satan for example, a lot of playoff bound teams wont get into a bidding war for him because they wont have the cap space to. If youve only got limited cap space, and you need to add a top 6 forward, youll offer up the goodies for somebody cheaper, like Legwand, Dumont, Prospal, etc.

Other guys that the Wings might land that wouldnt be too exciting, but would be a slight upgrade for the Wings and would come cheap (depending on if said team is out of the playoffs or not): Comrie, Lapointe, Fedorov, Vyborny, Foote, Stuart, Ryder, Avery, Straka, Malone, Eaton, Orpik, Gratton, etc.

I agree with your theory.

I truly think that the Leafs would love to dump Gill for maybe evan a 3rd round pick. He's a + player on the Leafs this season and although he's slow, he'd be good paired with Lebda or even Chelios.

Up front, it's harder to envision who would be an upgrade on the 2nd line. Maybe Satan or Vrbata to play on the right side. Trading Sammy would free up some cap sapce next year.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Homer

Hudler - Filpulla - Satan

Maltby - Draper - Cleary

Franzen - Kopecky - Drake/Elllis/Downey

Lidstrom Rafalski

Kronwall Lilja

Gill Chelios

Lebda

Hasek/Osgood

Guest jaytan

I don't really expect the team to do much of anything at the deadline.... Though they definitely should. We have holes to fill and everyone in the league knows it.

Hunter/Satan for Sammy and a Draft Pick?

Sure..Make it happen but can we afford it? do they got big contracts?

Vandermeer for a 3rd?

sure, vendermeer is naise.

here are some players i would like for us to get in a trade :D

Jared Boll

Eric Godard

Riley Cote

George Parros

Derek Boogaard

David Koci

Just to name a few..

What's the point of getting any of those guys now that Lilja is destroying people again. He could lick any of those cream puffs.

Hunter/Satan for Sammy and a Draft Pick?

Sure..Make it happen but can we afford it? do they got big contracts?

Vandermeer for a 3rd?

sure, vendermeer is naise.

No. Hunter and Satan....for Sammy AND a draft pick AND a mid-level prospect.

Satan makes 4.5M, Hunter makes 1.5. Together thats 6M, which at the deadline would be around closer to around 2M. Vandermeers and Sammys cap hits would more or less cancel each other out.

No. Hunter and Satan....for Sammy AND a draft pick AND a mid-level prospect.

Satan makes 4.5M, Hunter makes 1.5. Together thats 6M, which at the deadline would be around closer to around 2M. Vandermeers and Sammys cap hits would more or less cancel each other out.

Oh sure. I'm positive the Islanders would be overjoyed with such a deal. Not. I know this is the same organization that traded Olli Jokinen away for crap, but do you really think they'd want Sammy for a top 6 forward, and a young guy who's shown that he can score 20 goals? I don't.

Oh sure. I'm positive the Islanders would be overjoyed with such a deal. Not. I know this is the same organization that traded Olli Jokinen away for crap, but do you really think they'd want Sammy for a top 6 forward, and a young guy who's shown that he can score 20 goals? I don't.

Yeah, actually when you consider that Satan and Sammy are on pace for the same number of points, and that this is the 2nd year both Hunter and Satan have underperformed, then yes. Also, when you consider that Comrie, Vasicek, Fedotenko, Hunter, and Satan are ALL UFAs next year, it would be nice for NYI to have a secondary scorer under contract. Sammy can put up just as many points as Fedotenko - if not more with good minutes - and hell cost nearly 60% less than what Fedotenko is costing the Isles right now.

And if NYI is so upset over losing two soon to be UFAs, Im sure it wouldnt be a problem for Detroit to throw Franzen into the mix.

As for the trade itself, you have to consider where these guys will fall on the market. The majority of teams that want to add a top 6 forward AND are playoff bound AND have the cap space to absorb an even subsidized 4.5M salary are limited. Then factor in all the other forwards out there who could be available that provide equal or better assets than Satan does with a cap hit that teams can actually afford. Prospal, Legwand, Dumont, Ryder, Vyborny, Stoll, Brunette, Nagy, etc. All this guys can put up or are putting up similar or better numbers to Satan and cost less.

At any rate, Detroit may need to add a conditional pick, Franzen, or another lower pick to swing the deal, but the point is they dont have to break the bank to modify their roster for the better.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Pittsburgh is tanking it. I bet they would love to deal Petr Sykora and his salary (2.75 for 08/09) so they can go after somebody in the offseason, plus they've got some big name contracts coming up too. Sykora would be a nice fit here i think. Comrie was a real jerk in Edmonton but according to those around the league he was way more mature and a better team guy in Phoenix. NYI are happy to have him now, but if they could get something for him before he walks then I'm sure they would trade him. Fedetenko, Comrie, Satan, Vasicek and Hunter are all UFA next year and if the Isles are out of it by Feb then I would say go after one or two of them. The Isles might be more willing to package two of them up to clear their salary off the books.

I think Comrie and Fedotenko would be nice on the 2nd/3rd line. They're both having decent seasons and don't have any injury history a la Bergoonzi. NYI would be a perfect trading partner too as they are out of Conference and are looking to rebuild so maybe mid-level prospects and picks would do it.

Dats-Z-Homer

Fedotenko/Sykora-Comrie-Filpulla

Franzen-Cleary-Hudler

Sammy-Draper-Maltby

On D I think we're Ok, but a stay-at-home fella with a mean streak would be a nice addition. Brad Stuart of the Kings fits the bill and he is due to become a UFA next year. John Eskine (6'4, 216) from WSH might be an option here too, he's on the books for another year at 0.55m but at that salary he'd be easy to keep around. He doesn't mind dropping the mitts either so Downey wouldn't need to dress for every game to provide "protection" either.

Lids-Raffy

Kronwal-Lebda

Lilja-Erskine/Stuart

Chelios

So, ya... get it done Kenny! Quit resting on the fact you've assembled a well coached, first place team that plays hard every night AND managed to stay 5mil under the cap, lol.

Pittsburgh is tanking it. I bet they would love to deal Petr Sykora and his salary (2.75 for 08/09) so they can go after somebody in the offseason, plus they've got some big name contracts coming up too. Sykora would be a nice fit here i think. Comrie was a real jerk in Edmonton but according to those around the league he was way more mature and a better team guy in Phoenix. NYI are happy to have him now, but if they could get something for him before he walks then I'm sure they would trade him. Fedetenko, Comrie, Satan, Vasicek and Hunter are all UFA next year and if the Isles are out of it by Feb then I would say go after one or two of them. The Isles might be more willing to package two of them up to clear their salary off the books.

I think Comrie and Fedotenko would be nice on the 2nd/3rd line. They're both having decent seasons and don't have any injury history a la Bergoonzi. NYI would be a perfect trading partner too as they are out of Conference and are looking to rebuild so maybe mid-level prospects and picks would do it.

Dats-Z-Homer

Fedotenko/Sykora-Comrie-Filpulla

Franzen-Cleary-Hudler

Sammy-Draper-Maltby

On D I think we're Ok, but a stay-at-home fella with a mean streak would be a nice addition. Brad Stuart of the Kings fits the bill and he is due to become a UFA next year. John Eskine (6'4, 216) from WSH might be an option here too, he's on the books for another year at 0.55m but at that salary he'd be easy to keep around. He doesn't mind dropping the mitts either so Downey wouldn't need to dress for every game to provide "protection" either.

Lids-Raffy

Kronwal-Lebda

Lilja-Erskine/Stuart

Chelios

So, ya... get it done Kenny! Quit resting on the fact you've assembled a well coached, first place team that plays hard every night AND managed to stay 5mil under the cap, lol.

Fedotanko wouldnt be an upgrade at all, and Stuart is much more than a bottom-pairing Dman. Although id LOVE to see Detroit get him if the price was right, but hell be a hot commodity come the deadline. And Comrie will be more expensive than Satan because hes playing better, and hes cheaper.

Detroit will make a blockbuster deal for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis... oh, wait, did you mean the Red Wings?

...as hilariuos as this post is, it speaks volumes! Mike Ilitch wants to win and win now and often! He showed that when it comes to winning a World Series he won't hesitate in parting with "prospects" and HOT prospects at that to get what he is being told will bring him a Championship. Miller and Maybin were top 10 picks in the first round. They were the future of the Tigers, but this deal came up and look where they are now, the Future (probably more like the present) of the Marlins. I would not be surprised if Holland makes a blockbuster if one arises, but if you look around the league, about the only Blockbuster players are Crosby or Ovechkin and that would cost Datsyuk or Zetterberg and we ALL know that is not gonna happen...

...Fedorov will be here. After that, if Sundin or Legwand show up as well, that will be as about a blockbuster as we'll get...

...all this talk of Comrie when we could have had him over the summer at no cost (besides salary) and the majority of this board was against it. I wanted him here, but everytime I mentioned it, I was told he was a cancer and wasn't that good. Now, here we see his name again, this time he is wanted here. Too bad, because if Holland wants him, he'll cost us twice as much as he would have as a UFA last summer...

Wings don't need a blockbuster trade. No reason to screw with chemistry just because we have some dough lying around, cause god knows it won't just be money. I like our prospects and we can't keep shipping them out and the current lineup is fine in my eyes. The Wings have had what it takes to win the cup for 16 years, its just a game of bounces sometimes. Naslund would be great, but who is Vancouver gonna want in return? I say the trade deadline is for tweeking role players and 4th line or 6th defensemen, we don't need a walking, talking, high-paid name we will either get rid of next season and be down a prospect for our trouble or someone we have to worry about keeping with more important contracts expiring. Need a place to put your dough come the deadline? Make an international call and get Dan Markov back.

Guest Canadian Wings

Why would u?

#1 offense

#6 defense

#1 PP

#5 PK

i can see another move for a scorer, but no big names that u mentioned.

I think its the opposite actually. The chances of landing someone you need are significantly higher right now than at the deadline...when probably at least 5 other teams are eyeing that same player and prices get inflated. Its why im so gung ho they should try to pawn off someone like Hudler right now when somebody might bite, later on better deals will come along for that team.

Mostly I was meaning we'd be paying less salary. If we bring in someone now, we may only have room for one impact player under the cap. If we wait until the deadline, we could probably bring in two impact players.

I have no problems trading Hudler.

the current lineup is fine in my eyes.

The Wings' lineup always looks fine -- in the regular season. But, as the last 7,000 disappointing playoff exits have illustrated, the regular season means jack.

The Wings need more scoring depth and a big, steady, top-4 stay-at-home defenseman. And some size on offense wouldn't hurt. As it stands, they're counting on two players to win games for them. I don't care how well Hank and Dats are playing -- you need more depth than that if you want to win the Cup.

The Wings' lineup always looks fine -- in the regular season. But, as the last 7,000 disappointing playoff exits have illustrated, the regular season means jack.

The Wings need more scoring depth and a big, steady, top-4 stay-at-home defenseman. And some size on offense wouldn't hurt. As it stands, they're counting on two players to win games for them. I don't care how well Hank and Dats are playing -- you need more depth than that if you want to win the Cup.

We are about a third of the season in and others are starting to roll. My point is that they have had what it takes, and last year should have beat Anaheim but for some bounces, a bad call, and Dom playing like a cardboard cutout in the elimenation game.

Hate to be the "stay the course" guy, but I don't believe that adding another name to roster and giving up more picks and prospects is the answer, and certainly not giving up any of our current stars. I have never liked the idea of the rental player you hope produces for a couple months and throwing away a player that could be stupendous in the future.

Last year was a definate learning experience for the current roster and I believe if you keep the core intact, the team as a whole will step up. We can't expect to Wings to win the cup every year, as spoiled as we are we have to believe the group we have organized has the tools to get the job done.

So i was thinking to myself , what is Detroits odds of picking up someone great from now to the trade deadline? Any realistic trades ? Ive heard some rumors but i dunno if i should believe that Detroit would try to compete with teams for them. Players which are : Hossa , Forsberg , Naslund . I know there's more out there , but i cant think off the top of my head. Anyway OPINIONS!

Oh NO. Not Forsberg again. The guy CAN'T SKATE. And I mean that literally. Let it go man...

How bout this, we pay Z $8mil a year for the next 7 years, make a couple of minor trades and call it good.

Yea all those early playoff exits... We won 3 friggin stanley cups in the last 11 years. The last one was in 2002 which was only 6 years ago. Last year we came 1 bad call away from the Conference Finals.

Maybe we should trade all our small guys for big strong guys like the Sharks have. Where did that get them lately?

Take another look in that glass. It's half full my friend.

15% tops. I would LOVE to see us sign Fors-baby and trade his ass though that is as likely as nill.

I would also take Dan Boyle, but that would prob cost us a goaltender. Maybe Liv lilja and a pick for em.

Edited by Majsheppard