• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

Not much more to say about it. Classic Hasek. May we have some more, please? Thank goodness that tentative, worried goaltender is gone, and Dom is back.

The hit wasn't dirty, it wasn't stupid - it was brilliant. And happily, nothing bad happened to Gaborik or Dom. As many have said, if Marion was unaware that Hasek was likely to come out and do that slide save on a rush, he was the only one in the NHL who didn't know it.

Anyway, you guys have made all the points I was thinking - it was a hit, a legal save, and the kind of play that might make hockey a fan draw again. People would be buzzing with excitement (and most are) if any other player had pulled off a similar move, but because it's Dom, it's suspect?

Enjoy him while you can, he won't be around forever and there's no one else who brings it like Dom.. Of course, I've said it before, but he's still here. :P

'Nuf said, bring on Carolina. Oh, and someone be sure to tell Eric Cole to keep his head up, since Hasek is in goal. :sly:

Wasn't a "hit", it was a trip.

and it was "suspect" not because it was Dom but because it was 1) an illegal play(trip) that 2) almost ended a guys career

The refs said it was a trip. My uncle, who has watched hockey for 50 years, said he's never seen a goalie get a penalty on a play like that, until last night. New league rules, or what? I thought defensemen could play the puck in a situation like that, even goalies.

The hit reminded me of the one Vladdy put on Lemieux. Just the attitude toward the players involved is different.

Guest LivingtheDream

Can someone define a dirty hit? Seems intent to injure has to be in there somewhere. For example, this season some of those fine Philly boys were head hunting and that, to me, is a dirty hit. Hasek was being aggressive which he seems to be more so than any other goal tender in terms of coming out and challenging a break away. It has thrilled us in the past and this time it was simply a bad combination of timing - almost a freak thing. Like everyone else here (except the nut cases) I'm really glad there wasn't a horrible neck snapping injury here. Even though we don't see it often, is there a rule about goalies challenging on a break away? What are the guidelines (from someone who knows please).

Gaborik was on a breakaway, Dom tripped him, and in doing so prevented a scoring chance. With the new rules to allow more penalty shots, I think this could fit. If a penalty shot was awarded, I would have been screaming at the TV. But a scoring chance was taken away by a play that was penalized.

That's complete bs, and you know it. Gaborik had no reason to keep his head up. He had beaten everyone else, and was trying to get the puck to settle down. Dom took advantage of a player with his head down. He didn't have to go at Gaborik the way he did. The play could have been made just as easily if Dom slide with is arm out to take the puck away. Dom intentionally tripped Gaborik, there are no two ways around it.

The only situation a penalty shot can be called due to a tripping infraction on the goaltender is whenthe goaltender is behind the attacker, as a penalty shot can only be awarded on a takedown from behind. That said, it is more likely for the referee to simply award a goal, as the goalkeeper would not be anywhere near the net and that is the rule when the goalie is pulled.

As far as tripping; the rule states that tripping shall not be called if it is an accidental trip that occurs simultaneously with a completed play. That said, Hasek tripping Gaborik cannot and should not be termed 'accidental' as he flung his entire body at him. If Hasek misses Gaborik in that instance, what happens? A goal is scored. Therefore, Hasek intended to hit Gaborik. And it's a tripping penalty.

Wasn't a "hit", it was a trip.

and it was "suspect" not because it was Dom but because it was 1) an illegal play(trip) that 2) almost ended a guys career

almost ended a guys career???? He wasn't even hurt on the play.

I can't believe there's this much controversy over it being a "dirty" play. I've seen several other goalies make a similar move on a breakaway over the years. Usually the guy has his head up so it doesn't result in such a spectacular hit, but this isn't the first time a goaltender has ever come out like that.

And honestly I don't think it should've been a penalty. Gaborik was carrying the puck when it happened, Dom came out and made a play, hit the puck, Gaborik went flying. Isn't that hockey? If he actually made some unnecessary move to trip Gaborik, I could see it. But he slid right at the puck. If Gaborik doesn't go flying, the ref probably doesn't call a penalty.

My only problem with is that I'm glad Dom didn't get hurt on the play (and yes Gaborik too). He also didn't manage to hang onto the puck. Luckily it slid right to a Wings player. Otherwise it's a wide open net.

The refs said it was a trip. My uncle, who has watched hockey for 50 years, said he's never seen a goalie get a penalty on a play like that, until last night. New league rules, or what? I thought defensemen could play the puck in a situation like that, even goalies.

The hit reminded me of the one Vladdy put on Lemieux. Just the attitude toward the players involved is different.

loo there is no hope with some. some people like to argue about everything no matter what....and they come in pairs.

As far as tripping; the rule states that tripping shall not be called if it is an accidental trip that occurs simultaneously with a completed play. That said, Hasek tripping Gaborik cannot and should not be termed 'accidental' as he flung his entire body at him. If Hasek misses Gaborik in that instance, what happens? A goal is scored. Therefore, Hasek intended to hit Gaborik. And it's a tripping penalty.

You could just as reasonably argue that it was an accidental trip that occurred simultaneously with the completed play. The puck was on Gaborik's sick right in front of him. Dom threw his body at the puck. If Hasek misses Gaborik and still gets the puck, no goal.

Again, I'm a little surprised at this thread. Hasn't anyone seen a goalie come out and make a play like this before?

almost ended a guys career???? He wasn't even hurt on the play.

and when a puck misses a guys throat by a couple of inches, or a stick misses a guys eye by a couple of inches, it didn't almost seriously hurt them? Gaborik almost landed on his head. That would have certainly caused serious neck damage.

. Isn't that hockey? If he actually made some unnecessary move to trip Gaborik, I could see it. But he slid right at the puck. If Gaborik doesn't go flying, the ref probably doesn't call a penalty.

He slides right into Gaborik's legs like a soccer tackle. That has never been allowed in hockey.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Honestly, while in the aftermath with seemingly no injuries, it's fun to laugh about and make light of, in the moment I was freaking out pretty bad because that could've so easily gone really, really bad. All fan bias aside, honestly, it was a stupid thing to do. The guy above is right about the challenging completely as well. There was no race. Should he have had his head up? Yeah, but lots of guys who have gotten injured bad on dirty plays didn't have their heads up either because certain things you just shouldn't expect to happen even though they sadly do. While this isn't on the same level of "dirty plays" as some, given the score, the time left in the game, and level of control of the puck, this was completely unnecessary and it's just a damn good thing he wasn't injured. This kind of showmanship isn't worth the risk. If a skater pulled something like that he'd be crucified and a goalie is a bigger target. If this kind of "challenging" happens more often, someone will get hurt or something will be done. At the very least, it's excessive.

FINALLY SOMEONE WITH LOGIC! And btw to everyone who claims Hasek has been good up until recently, game 6 was almost entirely his fault vs anaheim and good goalies don't have .895 save percentages on a team where a sub par one can pull a .930

hopefully Chris Mason pulls this exact move on Datsyuk or Zetterberg on monday night. I'd love to see the reactions then.

Exactly. Someone gets it.

I doni't care what goaltender it is. Be it Dom doing or even Osgood. I'd still think it was unnecessary. And whether Gaborik had his head up or not, 9 outta 10 times that play is dangerous and you can almost guarentee that the player coming in on the breakaway will fall, get tripped, or might injure themselves. I'm not saying it was dirty, but it is indeed a dangerous play. I completely cringed when I saw it because one thing goes wrong, and he breaks his neck and probably ends his career.

hopefully Chris Mason pulls this exact move on Datsyuk or Zetterberg on monday night. I'd love to see the reactions then.

A. Not Mason's style. He would stay in net and take his medicine. Hasek holds his fate in his own hands, not the puck carriers.

B. Z or Dats would have their heads up. They would move around Mason and score with him at the blueline looking like an ass.

Clean play, ref overreacted because of the unexpected and crazy result. Its never been called before; but there has never been a flip before either.

A. Not Mason's style. He would stay in net and take his medicine. Hasek holds his fate in his own hands, not the puck carriers.

B. Z or Dats would have their heads up. They would move around Mason and score with him at the blueline looking like an ass.

Clean play, ref overreacted because of the unexpected and crazy result. Its never been called before; but there has never been a flip before either.

Even if a player has his head up it's really hard for them not to get all wrapped up and trip, or seriously hurt when a goaltender comes flying at you midway through your breakaway. It's really hard to try and get outta the way at the point.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Wow you just completly missed the point. He was being theorrtical idiot. Take off your blinders for a second and see it from a wild's fan standpoint.

Also, Gaborik almost always has his head up to. To speak in absoloutes shows complete lack of understanding of a game. Say Pavel just got rocked ten seconds earlier and just got up when he got a pass right before their blue line and sped in on a breakaway. Think he wouldnt be a bit woozy?

Guest LivingtheDream

f*** you you dumb hick Preds fan. Like your sorry ass piece of s*** excuse league dragging for a hockey team doesn't have enough examples of intentional if now downright cowardly dirty hits. Besides, Dats or Hank don't need to look at the puck or their feet when they are skating and if a goalie challanged them like that they would be able to make a move around them.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

f*** you you dumb hick Preds fan. Like your sorry ass piece of s*** excuse league dragging for a hockey team doesn't have enough examples of intentional if now downright cowardly dirty hits. Besides, Dats or Hank don't need to look at the puck or their feet when they are skating and if a goalie challanged them like that they would be able to make a move around them.

Sarcasm?

I'm sorry but givin the state of mind of a lot of people on this bored you have to wonder.

Wow, some people around here must be new to hockey...I've seen Hasek pull this exact move ATLEAST 10 times throughout his career, and he's not the only goaltender who is willing to challenge like that . As Ken Daniels mentioned, I've never seen a penalty called on a play like this, it just happened to be flashier this time because Gabroik went airborne.

Either way...OMG HE COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED! WHAT A DIRTY PLAY! SUSPEND HASEK!. Maybe you're watching the wrong sport :rolleyes:

That was completely uncalled for. He was making a point, and a really good one at that.

To me the answer is simple. The Wild had no reaction whatsoever to this play. This was their STAR player who almost got flipped on his head....if this was indeed a dirty play dont you think there would have been some sort of reaction on the ice? Maybe someone at least going up and taking a swipe at Hasek? So they are either the most gutless players on earth, or the players on the Wild saw this as a clean play...or at least nothing more than a tripping penalty.