• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

:sly: OK Batman, riddle me this...

Hasek stays in goal...Gaborik comes straight at him on the breakaway, full-throttle and head-on. With puck on tip of stick, Gaborik shoves it through Hasek's 5-hole as Hasek is realizing he needs to protect himself from 200# missile. Puck crosses line into net=GOAL for Minnesota. .01 seconds later, Gaborik's momentum carries him through Hasek, net, Zamboni door, beer vendor, and parking lot with Hasek looking like roadkill. No penalty, right?

In this scenario would everyone make the same yap that the game was basically over, Gaborik shouldn't gone to the net so aggressively, dirty play. blah, blah, yada, yada, yada?

In this situation, I think both Hasek and Gaborik would be dead then, which would suck for them and ruin their weekend.

And then, as hard as it is to fathom, Hasek gets full resolve of blame or being "dirty" here and blame is put on Al Queda for trying to bomb Joe Louis Arena. And actually, Hasek and Gaborik are recognized as "heroes" for sacraficing preventing the explosion of the arena.

How about this?

What if King Kong got into the arena, and stood in between of Hasek and Gaborik preventing the play from happening? Hasek runs into King Kong, as well as Gaborik. Who's the "dirtiest"? (A) Hasek, (B) Gaborik, © King Kong, (D) All of the Above, or alternative choice (E) Michael Jackson?

I can't believe the bashing here is so off base that I'm actually supporting Hasek.

I think Dom has been mostly terrible this year. It's nice to see he's put together a couple games where he looks like an NHL goaltender again. Hopefully he'll still split time with Ozzy, because Osgood has earned it. And I do think Hasek is generally overrated a little at this point in his careeer because of his prior achievements.

But that has nothing to do with this play. Dom made the decision to come out after the puck and challenge. He's made that play before, as have other goalies, like Belfour.

It's not an unprecedented move. It just ended with a spectacular flip. It turned into a somewhat dangerous play and he was called for tripping. Gaborik was okay. Dom was okay. The Wings won the game.

Those of you who think he clearly went for the knees or knew what Dom was thinking need to examine your bias against him, just as much as the Dom lovers who think he's still a god among goalies.

Meanwhile, Randy Carlyle and Brian Burke didn't think Pronger should have been suspended either time in the playoffs last season.

Since when do we value the opinions of opposing coaches/GMs? Talk about cherrypicking...

Ok how about this

Save percentage: Osgood> Hasek

WIns: Osgood> Hasek

GAA:Osgood> Hasek

Games:Osgood> Hasek

Negative Articles about one's attitude: Hasek>Osgood

Penalties:Hasek>Osgood

thats the one thing i dot get about some of these people.... Why dog your own goalie? Hasek has been great for the wings organization. And i know ozz is doing better then Hasek but most of the great goaltenders this year have had a bad start. And i think hasek is starting to play very good goalies lose games its hockey get over it.. i guess iam starting to learn these boards are separated into like 2 different cults ozz and hasek cult. I guess i have to get used to it.... And to comment on original post you can clearly see on the video that hasek went for the puck Gaborik is just complaining cuz he got owned with his head down :lol:

Ok how about this

Save percentage: Osgood> Hasek

WIns: Osgood> Hasek

GAA:Osgood> Hasek

Games:Osgood> Hasek

Negative Articles about one's attitude: Hasek>Osgood

Penalties:Hasek>Osgood

<3

<3

<3

:cool:

Ozzie r00l3s

I just have one question for all the Hasek haters, If we go into the playoffs with him as our number one and he helps our team win a stanley cup will you still cut off your nose to spite your face or will you give credit where credit is due?

thats the one thing i dot get about some of these people.... Why dog your own goalie? Hasek has been great for the wings organization. And i know ozz is doing better then Hasek but most of the great goaltenders this year have had a bad start. And i think hasek is starting to play very good goalies lose games its hockey get over it.. i guess iam starting to learn these boards are separated into like 2 different cults ozz and hasek cult. I guess i have to get used to it.... And to comment on original post you can clearly see on the video that hasek went for the puck Gaborik is just complaining cuz he got owned with his head down :lol:

I couldn't agree more...tell me did Ducks fans have this kind of hatred for one or the other last year when you had a goalie carousel???

You underestimate us, harold. :lol:

I honestly think all this uproar is because it was Dom. If Ozzie did it, the attitude would likely be different.

(And you know I'm more an Ozzie fan than a Dom fan, so I ain't sugarcoating this.)

Dom made the play to stop the puck. If successful, he stops the puck on a clear breakaway. If unsuccessful, Gaborik scores on an empty net. If Vladdy flipped a player (like he did to Lemieux, Lindros, etc.), we all oohed and aahed - and Vladdy's hits were HITS. Dom's was a defensive play to stop the puck. Gaborik going end over end was an unintended (but, admittedly, spectacular looking) side effect.

If it were to happen to one of our players...sure, we'd probably feel a little differently. But I'd like to think that I'd also be objective enough to say, "His head was down and (the goaltender) was coming out to make a save. That's hockey."

You know, I think this is what a lot of Wings fans should do to eliminate (or at least reduce) bias from their game-watching:

Watch a bunch of random games from around the league (if you have Center Ice) where you have no stake one way or the other in the teams playing, i.e. if you like the Rangers better than the Thrashers, don't watch; if you don't care either way about the Coyotes and the Kings, watch. Pay attention to the officiating. Pay attention to the hitting. Pay attention to the playmaking. Without an emotional investment in the game, it's a hell of a lot more likely to see what's really going on on the ice (Did the ref really botch a call? Did that player really deserve a penalty? Was that really a late hit?). It might help.

If Osgood does this tomorrow, I'll post all the same s*** and worse. I don't like the play. I never have. If I was making the rules, it wouldn't happen without serious consequences. As we saw in the last game, you're asking for serious trouble in plays like this. Anytime someone's skating in and you dive at them, something like this could happen. It just hasn't yet. Now it has. If he landed funny on his head, this would be a totally different situation, and again, a play like this begs for it to happen. It's not worth the risk and besides, I'd rather see a clean breakaway anyways. It's better for the game to and to be able to see guys make those breakaway plays as well as not having to worry about another way guys might get their necks broken.

I don't get how some people don't see a serious potential problem when you've got two people charging full speed at each other and one of them (loaded with all the padding in the world) drops and slides right into them. There's some serious physics issues working against the skater here. We saw it in full action Friday. If some guy pulled this on Dats or Zetterberg (let alone if they got seriously injured or not...), this place would be a marching mob headed to Gary Bettmans office. And don't even try to act as if you wouldn't...

Edited by gcom007

wow, wings fans have been bashing dom more then other teams. have a look

http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=69084

http://www.letsgoblues.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=23323

http://pavilion.letsgosabres.com/index.php?showtopic=5302

there are more, but I'm lazy and don't want to post them. :P

I looked. Most of the more knowledgeable posters are supporting and applauding Hasek. The ones who say he didn't get to the puck first need to watch the replay. Thanks! :)

edit: grammar cracker

Edited by puckloo39

You would think all these other people calling it "an intent to injure by Hasek" would have rather seen Dom go shoulders first into Gaborik. Honestly, people saying Dom shouldn't have came out to make the save just need to drop the drama and whining already. Good play, clean play and funny as hell to watch over and over again.

If Osgood does this tomorrow, I'll post all the same s*** and worse. I don't like the play. I never have. If I was making the rules, it wouldn't happen without serious consequences. As we saw in the last game, you're asking for serious trouble in plays like this. Anytime someone's skating in and you dive at them, something like this could happen. It just hasn't yet. Now it has. If he landed funny on his head, this would be a totally different situation, and again, a play like this begs for it to happen. It's not worth the risk and besides, I'd rather see a clean breakaway anyways. It's better for the game to and to be able to see guys make those breakaway plays as well as not having to worry about another way guys might get their necks broken.

I don't get how some people don't see a serious potential problem when you've got two people charging full speed at each other and one of them (loaded with all the padding in the world) drops and slides right into them. There's some serious physics issues working against the player here. We saw it in full action Friday. If some guy pulled this on Dats or Zetterberg (let alone if they got seriously injured or not...), this place would be a marching mob headed to Gary Bettmans office. And don't even try to act as if you wouldn't...

Osgood would never try this. But if he did, the Ozzie Rools/Hasek Drools cult would offer him a cookie (thanks, Boost!) and think it was the best thing ever. :lol:

All plays have the potential to be dangerous. It's hockey. These sort of plays happen all the time and worse things happen than... well, nothing, in this case. It's only because Hasek was involved that people are pitching a fit.

You would think all these other people calling it "an intent to injure by Hasek" would have rather seen Dom go shoulders first into Gaborik. Honestly, people saying Dom shouldn't have came out to make the save just need to drop the drama and whining already. Good play, clean play and funny as hell to watch over and over again.

^^^

from someone who is clearly an Oz fan, right on! You "rool"! :hehe:

I just have one question for all the Hasek haters, If we go into the playoffs with him as our number one and he helps our team win a stanley cup will you still cut off your nose to spite your face or will you give credit where credit is due?

I couldn't agree more...tell me did Ducks fans have this kind of hatred for one or the other last year when you had a goalie carousel???

not at all we loved giggy and bryz the same :thumbup:

Edited by Duck Guy

Osgood would never try this. But if he did, the Ozzie Rools/Hasek Drools cult would offer him a cookie (thanks, Boost!) and think it was the best thing ever. :lol:

All plays have the potential to be dangerous. It's hockey. These sort of plays happen all the time and worse things happen than... well, nothing, in this case. It's only because Hasek was involved that people are pitching a fit.

^^^

from someone who is clearly an Oz fan, right on! You "rool"! :hehe:

Exactly. Dom has played better these past couple of games, and I hope he sends a Canes player flying tonight. I have no problem with what Dom did, and glad he's playing better.

To illustrate the difference between Oz and Hasek this season: for Hasek to catch Osgood's numbers as they stand right now, he would have to play the next five games, including ten minutes of overtime, and make 159 saves without giving up a goal. That's AFTER a two-game stretch that has seen Hasek allow one goal on 35 shots in 120 minutes.

Not saying Hasek can't end the season with better numbers han Osgood...but the 'Osgood is better' sentiment has been based largely in REALITY, whilte 'Play Hasek' has been coming from people who hate Osgood and don't believe he can win in the playoffs (Hasek needs to find a groove if we want to have a chance at the Cup) or from people who can't accept that maybe age is catching up with Hasek (He's started slow and won the Vezina before, he'll obviously do it this year too) when in reality, Hasek is starting to come around but even in the last two games he hasn't played any better than Ozzie has all year.

As far as the Gaborik play...no, Hasek didn't have intent to injure. But to argue that you can't call a penalty on that play is just as ignorant. it was a borderline play where it could have gone either way, and calling the penalty is at the referee's discretion. And guess what; the ref felt it was a penalty. It could have been let go on another night, but that doesn't make it any less valid of a call; I've seen blatant penalties left uncalled some nights and phantom BS called on others. And no, not just this year either...pretty much every year.

I don't get how some people don't see a serious potential problem when you've got two people charging full speed at each other and one of them (loaded with all the padding in the world) drops and slides right into them. There's some serious physics issues working against the skater here. We saw it in full action Friday. If some guy pulled this on Dats or Zetterberg (let alone if they got seriously injured or not...), this place would be a marching mob headed to Gary Bettmans office. And don't even try to act as if you wouldn't...

This is the single most laughable post I've ever seen on this forum. THINK WHAT YOU JUST SAID!!! HASEK CHARGING AT FULL SPEED!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH

not at all we loved giggy and bryz the same :thumbup:

Many of us in Detroit would like to believe that we are the most intelligent and classiest hockey fans in the NHL. Some us are, but you make a strong case for Ducks fans. I can honestly say a lot of Wings fans are spoiled brats. Our team has been so good for so long that we have to "find" something to ***** about. We don't even realize how lucky to have a team this good each year. Please don't judge all of us Detroit fans but the actions of some.

Edited by Booster313

Guest Crymson

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...007/1167/BLOG11

Dare I say Lemaire knows a little bit more about hockey than the majority of posters on this site?

Next you'll be saying that Burke's explanation of Pronger's hit on Holmstrom was correct because "he knows more about hockey than we do."

What do you expect the coach to say? And dare I say that Hasek has done this move dozens of times in his career? It's meant to stop a breakaway.

I don't get how some people don't see a serious potential problem when you've got two people charging full speed at each other and one of them (loaded with all the padding in the world) drops and slides right into them.

What if they are both racing for a loose puck? Same thing could happen right? So I guess if there's ever a loose puck and two players could get there close to the same time, one must stop and wait for the other to pick it up, right? Geez, this is HOCKEY people.

Next people will be saying you can't shoot a puck if someone is close to you, because you might accidentally hit them in the face with your stick. Or you can't shoot at the goal if opposing players are between you and the goal because you might hit them in the face with the puck. :rolleyes:

If Dom purposely dove at the players legs, sure call a penalty. But he dove at the puck, the fact that the player was directly behind the puck is coincidental. Next thing people will complain about is if a goalie poke checks a puck and the player trips over his stick. BAN POKE CHECKS! Geeez...

There's some serious physics issues working against the skater here. We saw it in full action Friday. If some guy pulled this on Dats or Zetterberg (let alone if they got seriously injured or not...), this place would be a marching mob headed to Gary Bettmans office. And don't even try to act as if you wouldn't...

Why would I? I've seen the play tons of times and I've never seen a penalty on it. The goalie dove for the puck and the opposing player falls over the goalie. Wow, what a horrible play! :blink:

- Houdini

I looked. Most of the more knowledgeable posters are supporting and applauding Hasek. The ones who say he didn't get to the puck first need to watch the replay. Thanks! :)

edit: grammar cracker

Getting to the puck first is not an automatic no-call. That's what you're forgetting; If the tripping player contacts the puck first, the referee is ALLOWED (not required) to not call the penalty. The ref obviously chose to call it. You can't argue with the fact Hasek tripped Gaborik, and you can't argue with the fact the referee chose not to let it go for puck-first contact. No, it wasn't dirty or an attempt to injure...but it was a penalty.

To illustrate the difference between Oz and Hasek this season: for Hasek to catch Osgood's numbers as they stand right now, he would have to play the next five games, including ten minutes of overtime, and make 159 saves without giving up a goal. That's AFTER a two-game stretch that has seen Hasek allow one goal on 35 shots in 120 minutes.

Not saying Hasek can't end the season with better numbers han Osgood...but the 'Osgood is better' sentiment has been based largely in REALITY, whilte 'Play Hasek' has been coming from people who hate Osgood and don't believe he can win in the playoffs (Hasek needs to find a groove if we want to have a chance at the Cup) or from people who can't accept that maybe age is catching up with Hasek (He's started slow and won the Vezina before, he'll obviously do it this year too) when in reality, Hasek is starting to come around but even in the last two games he hasn't played any better than Ozzie has all year.

As far as the Gaborik play...no, Hasek didn't have intent to injure. But to argue that you can't call a penalty on that play is just as ignorant. it was a borderline play where it could have gone either way, and calling the penalty is at the referee's discretion. And guess what; the ref felt it was a penalty. It could have been let go on another night, but that doesn't make it any less valid of a call; I've seen blatant penalties left uncalled some nights and phantom BS called on others. And no, not just this year either...pretty much every year.

EUZ,

I don't think it's about numbers, I don't really care who finishes with better stats. Osgood has outplayed Hasek so far this year. I am just happy Hasek is back to playing his game. It can only be a good thing for the Wings. You can seach the entire board and you won't find one negative comment from me about Ozzie. I love Ozzie! Dom is my favorite goalie of all time and I still think he can be a top goaltender in this league, but that doesn't mean I don't want Ozzie to do well or the Wings overall. I think people are so fixed on proving their point or trying to create a goalie contraversary that simply doesn't exist. Both of these guys are professionals and teammates.

WHY IS THIS STILL BEING DEBATED?

Honestly this is ridiculous...Minnesota didn't complain about the move AT ALL during the game, they get destroyed 5-0, and then after the fact their coach complains? ARE YOU SUPRISED? The other thread really should have settled this. This move isn't new, if you've been watching hockey for more than the past 2 years then this really shouldn't surprise you at all, it's been done, it happens, there was no injury. GET OVER IT.