• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cap20066

Justin Abdelkader

Rate this topic

I find it amusing they reranked Latendresse after he had made his NHL debut.

A week before the seaosn started, Latendresse was a 7.5C (the same rating as Kopecky) and Abdelkader was a 7.0B.

BTW...Latendresse has scored no goals, no assists, and is a -2 in six games.

Compare with the more versatile Kopecky and the more skilled Hudler, who each have a goal and are +1 in only 4 games each.

How you can even try to compare someone coming straight from juniors to two players playing their fourth and seventh season of pro-hockey is beyond me. Then again you've always had a tendency to look more at the stats and less at the factors surrounding them...

if he does turn out to have a little Jeff Carter in himthen indeed we scored, sh*t if he ends up being nominated for the Hobey I'll still be stoked. Im just saying latendresse still looks better right now..

by the way Eva there is no way you can compare apples and oranges even in pie for (latendresse's NHL stats to Abdelkader's college) thats BS dude I really do expect smarter stuff from you. You've had some incredibly intellegent posts. Lets get a real debate going based off their skill. The Spartans are in college hockey, The Canadians are in the NHL. One is in his NHL rookie season one is not. Don't tell me you'd actually use the stats arguement to try and convice people who are really into hockey. Again lets actually look at the players. What sets Abdelkader aside from latendresse and latendresse from Adbelkader....(on that note I gotta get to bed for midterms...gimme a week or so and I;ll be back with my take. Woudl love to hear yours and others though!)

When did I compare Latendresse's stats with Abdelkader?

As for a comparison of their skill...

What does Abdelkader do that Latendresse does not?

Abdelkader can skate well, play defense well, and works hard. He can play all three forward positions well.

What does Latendresse do that Abdelkader does not?

Good question.

Hudler & Kopecky have different styles then latendresse & latendresse is on the fourth line too , on a montreal team that hass a problem scoring anyway , hudler & kopecky have a shot at the top 2 lines if they perform like they have been , latendresse has a top at the 3rd line if he starts shooting

Latendresse played a couple games with Plekanec and Kovalev on the second line. Huds and Kopecky have yet to get that opportunity.

Not to mention that, yes, he has comparable ice time per game to Huds and Kopecky at the time of my post, he had played FIFTY PERCENT MORE and had yet to score.

In fact, Hudler has already scored again (8 GP, 2-0-2), and while Kopecky (8 GP, 1-0-1)hasn't scored again, he's been a physical presence and has been getting chances. Latendresse has yet to score a point in ten games.

can't believe people are still fixated on latendresse.

it was nothing but name recognition to begin with. you heard of him and you hadn't heard about ab, so obviously it was a bad pick by the wings.

get over it, already.

Guest wingsfan28__

i saw latendresse last night lol , it was pathetic the crowd cheering everytime he touched the puck or hit someone lol , he's not a good skater and got 0pts .........people just cheer him cause hes french , hes gonna be no more then a 4rd liner in his career , so ppl here freaking out that we didnt get him should relax

Latendresse scored his first NHL goal last night, he also put up 5 shots, had 6 hits and was awarded the 1st Star. <_<

And his stat line coming into the game was

13 GP, 0-0-0, 8 shots, and 23 hits.

You seem to be suggesting that the one game is indiciative of how he is going to play every night this season...I remind you he is still pretty raw and has a ways to go.

And his stat line coming into the game was

13 GP, 0-0-0, 8 shots, and 23 hits.

Sure, that's a fair point. But I think for a teenager to register 5 shots and have 6 hits, plus a goal, is mighty impressive. Regardless of what he did or didn't achieve beforehand is not really an issue, this game is reflective of what he mighty be capable of.

Sure, that's a fair point. But I think for a teenager to register 5 shots and have 6 hits, plus a goal, is mighty impressive. Regardless of what he did or didn't achieve beforehand is not really an issue, this game is reflective of what he mighty be capable of.

Alex Smart scored 3 goals in his first NHL game. That was no more a guarantee of his career potential than Latendresse's big game. Simply a showing of what could happen on a good night with a bit of luck and opportunity.

Ok - I'm starting to wish we drafted Latendresse now.. Last game he got two goals... Has 32 hits so far - Markov has 33(our leader in hits).

Edited by arin

Guest wingsfan28__

he got another goal tonight ,latendresse is all i hear about cause hes french hes everywhere , its actually pretty hilarious cause they think hes the next gretzky LOL

they were going nuts when he tapped in a puck inside an open net which was basically going in anyways and put pictures of him in a superman costume on tv's in the background in the after show and it was written his full name.... super guilliaume LMAO ................really pathetic

dont start overreacting now cause hes having a good week , hes gonna be ok in the nhl , nothing great all his scoring chances have been on the powerplay , he cant skate at all , super slow

i wont be crying about not drafting him thats for sure

I'm sure Abdelkader will make it to the NHL, and I'm glad to see he's made progress this season, but the fact is, Latendresse is already an NHL contributor at the age of 19. And whether he pans out or not, Guillaume is a prototypical power-forward, and that's not really something the Wings have in full supply right now.

As wingsfan28__ noted above, Latendresse got another goal tonight, putting him at four goals and one assist. For those of you keeping track, that's more points than any rookie on our team.

Edited by J-Swift

I'm sure Abdelkader will make it to the NHL, and I'm glad to see he's made progress this season, but the fact is, Latendresse is already an NHL contributor at the age of 19. And whether he pans out or not, Guillaume is a prototypical power-forward, and that's not really something the Wings have in full supply right now.

As wingsfan28__ noted above, Latendresse got another goal tonight, putting him at four goals and one assist. For those of you keeping track, that's more points than any rookie on our team.

f*** that. I could do as well as Latendresse has done since being moved to a line with Koivu and Ryder. Play Hudler or Kopecky with Zetterberg and Datsyuk and see what happens.

so do we actually talk about abdelkader or is this topic just so we can lament not drafting "gui" cause i'd really like to hear how abdelkader is producing,.....not how another teams player is doing well on there power play.

Edited by theman19

so do we actually talk about abdelkader or is this topic just so we can lament not drafting "gui" cause i'd really like to hear how abdelkader is producing,.....not how another teams player is doing well on there power play.

It's mostly for lamenting. After all, the majority of people on this site are clearly smarter than Ken Holland and the Wings scouts, and know for a fact that Latendresse will turn out better than Abdelkader. Never mind the fact that, I would bet no more than 10 people have actually seen Abdelkader play.

f*** that. I could do as well as Latendresse has done since being moved to a line with Koivu and Ryder. Play Hudler or Kopecky with Zetterberg and Datsyuk and see what happens.

Please. Since Higgins' ankle injury, Latendresse has been scoring a point-per-game. In that same time, he's outscored Michael Ryder, and has kept pace with Saku Koivu. Furthermore, Latendresse's 4 goals would tie him for third on this team right now. Isn't everyone always talking about how all we need is another scoring winger?

And I really find it comical that you think it's a knock against Latendresse that the coaching staff trusts him enough to put him on a scoring line. He's only 19, and he's already locked up a spot on the team. The fact is, he's been a physical force all year, but only now is he starting to show his scoring touch.

.....not how another teams player is doing well on there power play.

Considering our recent play with the extra man, a guy like Latendresse wouldn't hurt, would it?

It's mostly for lamenting. After all, the majority of people on this site are clearly smarter than Ken Holland and the Wings scouts, and know for a fact that Latendresse will turn out better than Abdelkader. Never mind the fact that, I would bet no more than 10 people have actually seen Abdelkader play.

Ah yes, there's nothing quite like a thread without the old "everybody thinks they're smarter than Ken Holland comment". Come on. What fun is following a sports team if you're simply not allowed to question any moves they make?

As for Abdelkader, I hope he makes me feel like an idiot for ever wanting Latendresse, but the fact is, the Wings aren't going to get many oppurtunities to draft power-forward prospects like Guillaume. This is true when you consider the fact that Detroit not only finishes at the top of the standings every year, but also because the Wings have a tendency to trade their first rounder on an annual basis.

I personally have nothing against Justin Abdelkader. From everything I've read, he's a hard-working hockey player. I hope to see him continue to improve his physical game as well as his scoring touch. But until he makes it to the NHL and proves us wrong, the comparison between him and Latendresse is likely to stick.

Edited by J-Swift

Thats my whole point about Latendresse. He's in the NHL, he's able to do the job. He would have filled a pretty nice role thats been lackin in this organization for quite awhile now.