• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

SFE: Wings looking at 'star player' by deadline

Rate this topic

Horton brings energy, physical play and grit to the table, besides the obvious offensive skills. He's a team-leading +8 when they are -16 as a team. Horton may not be killing penalties at 21 or 22, but he definitely should be in a few more yrs.

Horton does kill penalties, but he doesn't have the defensive awareness like Zetterberg does.

Also, Zetterberg bring just as much, if not more, energy to the table.

Zetterberg does all the little things that Horton doesn't do while still producing the same way. Horton isn't nearly as good defensively, he doesn't play on the PK, he doesn't play in defensive situations at the end of the game. His role, while important, isn't as important as Zetterberg would be and is.

Horton's game isn't to be a total complete player.

But anyway, I retract the "retarded" comment, came off a little strong.

But at the same time, Horton is physical while Zetterberg isnt. Now, im not saying that physical play is everything, but i do believe it factors into being a complete player. So each of them has their weaknesses at this point. However, i think its obvious that theres a much, much better chance that Horton will become better defensively with age than there is for Z to ever add a physical dimension to his game.

I just think offensively Horton will be a stud in another year or two, ...while Zetterberg may actually drop off in production this year compared to last.

BTW its not my intent to trash Zetterberg if its coming off like that, hes actually my favorite Wings player right now.

But at the same time, Horton is physical while Zetterberg isnt. Now, im not saying that physical play is everything, but i do believe it factors into being a complete player. So each of them has their weaknesses at this point. However, i think its obvious that theres a much, much better chance that Horton will become better defensively with age than there is for Z to ever add a physical dimension to his game.

I just think offensively Horton will be a stud in another year or two, ...while Zetterberg may actually drop off in production this year compared to last.

BTW its not my intent to trash Zetterberg if its coming off like that, hes actually my favorite Wings player right now.

I think we need to define "physical play".

If by "physical play" you mean "6'3" 227lbs wrecking ball who smashes opposing defensemen into pieces in the corners", then you are right, Zetterberg isn't "physical".

But, if you mean by "physical play" a willingness to go in the corners, not back down from anyone, go to the front of the net and win battles for the puck, then YES, Zetterberg is "physical".

He was our best forward last spring...I don't care how many goals Lang scored.

But, if you mean by "physical play" a willingness to go in the corners, not back down from anyone, go to the front of the net and win battles for the puck, then YES, Zetterberg is "physical".

No, thats actually the definition of grit.

These are the guys that will probably be more or less available at the deadline

Biron

Smokes

Bondra

Modin

Fedotenko

Prospal

Armstrong

Bulis

Tkachuk

Guerin

Roberts

Bert

Nagy

Gelinas

O'Neill

Tucker

Forsberg

The nice thing is, the majority of those guys are gritty and good guys to have goin' into the playoffs. I know Lapointe is a central focus here, but he still has a year left on his contract. I dont know why the wings would want to take on Lapointe and have to pay him 2.4 next year. Personally, Id like to see Guerin here. Hes more or less solid in the playoffs, and he would come in at under 1M bucks.

These are the guys that will probably be more or less available at the deadline

Biron

Smokes

Bondra

Modin

Fedotenko

Prospal

Armstrong

Bulis

Tkachuk

Guerin

Roberts

Bert

Nagy

Gelinas

O'Neill

Tucker

Forsberg

The nice thing is, the majority of those guys are gritty and good guys to have goin' into the playoffs. I know Lapointe is a central focus here, but he still has a year left on his contract. I dont know why the wings would want to take on Lapointe and have to pay him 2.4 next year. Personally, Id like to see Guerin here. Hes more or less solid in the playoffs, and he would come in at under 1M bucks.

I never want Bert or Forsberg.

Fedotenko would be great, as would Nagy and Tucker, for different reasons.

Fatty-McGee Chucky is okay, and Guerin is gettin up there (who am I to lecture as a Wings fan - we have Chelios!).

Outta that list that is pretty much all I would take, oh or Vinny.

But - we all know Holland's thinking patterns - we'll somhow end up with Lapointe simply because he's a former wing. It's not a problem with me... but he probably is past his prime. We dont need him to score tons of goals, just bring that extra edginess that we lack right now. Im more inclined at the moment to sit back, relax, and just relish who we get at the deadline instead of picking out of a hat :cool:

I like Modin. always been a team player with good work ethic. and he actually fits here among 5 other Swedes (let's hope it's 4 then. yeah, I'm talking to you Lillypads)

and my second pick is Darcy F*cker. sure, it'd pain me to see him wearing Winged Wheel but he could be a major playoff force for Wings.

I like Modin. always been a team player with good work ethic. and he actually fits here among 5 other Swedes (let's hope it's 4 then. yeah, I'm talking to you Lillypads)

and my second pick is Darcy F*cker. sure, it'd pain me to see him wearing Winged Wheel but he could be a major playoff force for Wings.

I count seven.

Lidstrom

Kronwall

Samuelsson

Zetterberg

Holmstrom

Lilja

Franzen.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lapointe back. He would give the Wings some grit up front along with a more physical presence and would chip in a few goals as well. I think he's already got about 10-12 this year, which is the usual Lapointe standard. Don't look for Knuble, he just agreed to a contract extension with Philly, not to long ago. Forsberg? I don't know. It would be intriguing but, his injuries aside, there's a better than even chance that after the season, he could go right back to Philly. According to Spectors Rumors, Forsberg really doesn't want to leave but, he might consider atrade to a team with a good chance to win a Cup but, he also might have a handshake agreement with the Flyers to re-sign with them in the summer. Why waste picks and prospects on someone who's going to leave anyway? Unless it's futures you don't mind losing. What about Tampa Bay? They're in dire need of a goalie and there's talk that despite Tampa saying they won't trade their stars like Lecavlier, Richards and, St. Louis, one of them might have to go so Tampa can sign players to cover other key positions and, St. Louis seems to be the one most likely.

i think he's a whiner. i think he's a *****. i think he's a f......a fai.....what's the word i'm looking for?

anyway, his foot is probably gang green by now but i have to say having him here would be intriguing.

oh, and POCKY OWNS

I don't want Forsberg either, he's to injury prone. Plus we already have a Forsberg, his name is Henrik Zetterberg.

I'd shop Kronner and someone or Lang and Lebda to Edmonton. Torres Smyth for Lang Lebda, or Kronner and Hudler

Oh now that sounds nice ....... a hard hitter in detroit again, we need one

I don't want Forsberg either, he's to injury prone. Plus we already have a Forsberg, his name is Henrik Zetterberg.

Forsberg has already made philly aware that he does not like the idea of being traded......

The Wings' front office -- Holland, assistant GM Jim Nill, senior vice president Jimmy Devellano, vice president Steve Yzerman, consultant Scotty Bowman and pro scouts Mark Howe, Bob McCammon, Glenn Merkosky and Pat Verbeek -- will gather today in Marco Island, Fla., for their annual organizational meetings. Over the next three days, they'll go over every team in the NHL and AHL and analyze potential trade possibilities and unrestricted free agents.

They plan to acquire a forward who's capable of playing on one of their top two lines. They have roughly $2 million in salary cap space, which, prorated on the deadline day, can buy them a player who's earning around $7 million per season. And they plan to use all of their available money.

NOW, that is what I like to hear! I heard before that Holland would like to add a second player as well for more depth up front as well as a top 2 line forward.

before the lockout, i bet my wife lapointe would retire a wing. i would love to be right.

haha, pretty high stakes, putting your wife on the table... what are you getting in return if you're right?! ^_^

Is anyone else wondering if the Blues would even trade Guerin to the Wings after the whole Illitch incident? I mean, you know there will be other teams interested, and i cant help but wonder if that little grudge could make Davidson say hell with improving Illitch's chances if he views him as a whiner.

But assuming we could get Guerin, i'd like to see him as well as a 3rd/4th liner like Tom Kostopoulos picked up. I also think its a big mistake that Holland seems so happy with the defense. Im tellin ya, one of if not both Schneider and Chelios are gonna wear down.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Is anyone else wondering if the Blues would even trade Guerin to the Wings after the whole Illitch incident? I mean, you know there will be other teams interested, and i cant help but wonder if that little grudge could make Davidson say hell with improving Illitch's chances if he views him as a whiner.

But assuming we could get Guerin, i'd like to see him as well as a 3rd/4th liner like Tom Kostopoulos picked up. I also think its a big mistake that Holland seems so happy with the defense. Im tellin ya, one of if not both Schneider and Chelios are gonna wear down.

There is absolutely NO reason to make any moves for defense this trade deadline, NONE whatsoever. When you have kids like Ericsson, Quincey, Meech, and Kindl to call up.... Those guys are only going to give your team energy, especially as good as they already are. 3 of those 4 guys could have made the team if we weren't as deep on defense as we are.

Offense is what we need, we don't even have a 20 goal scorer yet and it's more than halfway through the season! Yeah, offense is the word this deadline.

There is absolutely NO reason to make any moves for defense this trade deadline, NONE whatsoever. When you have kids like Ericsson, Quincey, Meech, and Kindl to call up.... Those guys are only going to give your team energy, especially as good as they already are. 3 of those 4 guys could have made the team if we weren't as deep on defense as we are.

Offense is what we need, we don't even have a 20 goal scorer yet and it's more than halfway through the season! Yeah, offense is the word this deadline.

Im talking a rental type defenseman for the postseason...the guys you mentioned wont be seeing time then. I also think you're overrating these guys (especially Meech)...but thats a different issue. If you see no reason to worry at all about Schneider and Chelios i think thats rather naive.

Im talking a rental type defenseman for the postseason...the guys you mentioned wont be seeing time then. I also think you're overrating these guys (especially Meech)...but thats a different issue. If you see no reason to worry at all about Schneider and Chelios i think thats rather naive.

How is it naive to think that Schneider and Cheli will be fine??? Chelios has shown zero signs of slowing down, the guy has stated on several occasions that he feels the best physically than he ever has before and he is notorious for turning it up in the playoffs - He has also stated that he would like to play another season, the guy is a flat out competitor.

Schneider has missed some time, which also means he has gotten some rest, he'll be rejuvenated once back on Tuesday for the long-haul. Schneider also has been known to get it going and play well in the playoffs. I think you have little faith in some of our key players if anything. All you see is age and automatically you assume we need to spend money on defense when what we really need is offense. If you are so concerned about the aging players, well then I guess we need to worry about Lidstrom too, might as well just add 2 defensemen at the deadline and call it a day. :hehe:

Any forward we may possibly get will most likely eat up most of our cap room that is left, and Holland has also stated that after trading for a "star" player, he would like to add one more gritty depth guy up front who can play 3rd or 4th line possibly.

Every hockey analyst even states that the Wings D is one of the best in the NHL and there is no need to address anything with it this trade deadline. The offense is what matters most now, and it is the primary focus for improvement. We have been and still are one of the best defensive teams in the league. We also have a goaltender who can back it up as well and will come up huge in the big games for us.

Edited by SwedeLundin77

Schneider's resumé of last POs is pretty okish.

On ice for 7 PPG For, 5 EVG For and 6 EVG Against.

He hardly played any PK so he can't be the goat for that.

Lidstrom:

1 PPG for, 2 EVG For, 5 PKG against & 6 EVG Against.

...with #3 being on the ice for 1 of those PKG and 5 EVG against.