• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Griffin

Would we sign biron this summer

Rate this topic

he is a num.1 goalie waiting to be let out of the cage, we know buffulo wont resign him, they need that money to try to re sign briere and drury. He has a solid record and is a great team playe, only 29 years of age the only downside i think is he has no playoff exp. but neither did cam ward now and look what he did

I know I can't be the only one who's tired of the Wings being a revolving door of goaltenders. Any acquisitions we make in the offseason should extend beyond the crease.

Agreed--I think that we have other options, cheaper ones, that need to be explored. It's time to go with youth and find out what we've got with our prospects...and keep Osgood around for a solid alternative/backup...

I wouldnt mind it if:

Hasek doesnt come back

Howard isnt ready

Maybe give him a 2 year contract and give Howard another year in AHL and then Howard & Biron can split time the 2nd year and phase Howard in. If Howard gets ready sooner then Biron could always be a hot commodity at the trade deadline.

Edited by arin

The ideal thing would be to sign Biron, call up Howard, dump Osgood (once again the ideal thing, but not likely) and let Hasek retire.

Doesn't Osgood have another year on his contract? I thought he did. I could be making things up though.

Biron is not going to sign somewhere that he isn't the starter for the entire length of his contract. He also isn't going to sign a 2 year deal where he can be forced out again. Any goalie we bring here is just a stopgap until Howard is ready or he is determined not starting material.

The ideal thing would be to sign Biron, call up Howard, dump Osgood (once again the ideal thing, but not likely) and let Hasek retire.

The ideal thing would be to trade Osgood for Biron right now. Buffalo gets a veteran backup with first hand cup winning experience. Detroit gets a healthy goalie they can easily sign right now to an extension. Biron backs up Hasek this year, and Howard backs up Biron next year.

The ideal thing would be to trade Osgood for Biron right now. Buffalo gets a veteran backup with first hand cup winning experience. Detroit gets a healthy goalie they can easily sign right now to an extension. Biron backs up Hasek this year, and Howard backs up Biron next year.

Ideal or not, the Sabres want a 1st round pick and a prospect for Biron, not Chris Osgood.

I'd be up for it,seeing as this is most likely Hasek's final year.I definitly would'nt want management to pin their hopes on Osgood as the number 1 guy next year.He's proven to be unreliable this year.But of course,if they feel Howard is ready next year..by all means bring him up instead of signing someone.

I'd be up for it,seeing as this is most likely Hasek's final year.I definitly would'nt want management to pin their hopes on Osgood as the number 1 guy next year.He's proven to be unreliable this year.But of course,if they feel Howard is ready next year..by all means bring him up instead of signing someone

i'd put hasek into retirement and trade osgood, this summer sign biron to a 1 year contract and make howard the backup and let him play like 20 games. It would be good for howard to grt a year as backup in the nhl instead of hoping right to #1

I know I can't be the only one who's tired of the Wings being a revolving door of goaltenders. Any acquisitions we make in the offseason should extend beyond the crease.

Edi... EVERYONE wants Holland to make moves before the trade deadline.... Yet no body realizes that POST salary cap the only moves he can make are in the offseason involving goalies... Its his nitche and he is sticking to it.

Doesn't Osgood have another year on his contract? I thought he did. I could be making things up though.

No, you are right. Osgood has another year left, hence "the ideal, but not likely" part.

Impossible. Buffalo and Miller loves Biron. He is the ultimate team player and a great insurance should anything happen to Miller. If Biron is ready to accept back up duty, it automatically invalidates any other possible complaint a player can make. Osgood won a Cup almost ten years ago, I don't think Buffalo could care less.

Seriously, do we really want to play the goalie version of musical chairs for a 429th straight season?

I think the more telling question is who will the backup be next season.

Osgood has 1 more year left on his current contract, he isn't going anywhere.

I personally don't like Hasek, but if he can stay healthy for the remainder of this season and playoffs and still feels he can play at a high level and can maintain shape in the offseason, I'd put my personal feelings aside for him and be comfortable with him back. If he does return, I doubt he would command a lot of cash.

So either Hasek or Osgood will be starter next year. If Hasek returns, it'll be Hasek #1/Osgood #2 again next season.

Howard is the future of this franchise in terms of goaltending not next season, but the season after in all likelihood. It'd be interesting to see if he's #2 goalie next year if Hasek retires or Holland doesn't re-sign him or if he will continue to be the workhorse in Grand Rapids.

I just don't see where MacDonald fits into the goaltending equation with the Wings over the next few seasons.

i say trade him for a prospect or pick

Lets sit back here and realize something, Buffalo is at the top of the standings in the NHL. Do you really think they plan on trading one of the best backups(starter in waiting) leading into the playoffs? Yeah right, they'll keep him because Miller, as good as he is, is a goalie and injuries do happen. Trust me, unless someone wants to deal away their future, Biron will be in Buffalo until July. I certainly don't feel like dealing osgood and a 1st rounder for a backup. I wouldn't even give them a 1st rounder.