• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

To trade, or not to trade...

Rate this topic

DETNEWS

I'm starting to think we might not see any star wingers down here afterall. I think realistically, we'll have to hope for someone like Nolan......which isn't necessarily bad, its just he's no Guerin.

Edited by shanahanman

Guest ZetterBurger40

I personally would rather see Holland make no move if pulling the trigger meant selling the farm like Nashville did for Forsberg.

how many times has this happened at the trade deadline..... holland has high hopes....... and all the hype is up....... i wouldnt be supprised if we dont make a move... And that will disapoint me because players like (lang, williams, maltby) are disapointing me

Holland is not a good GM with a cap.

If you have all the money in the world and can spend it he is good, hell most of us could be a good GM if we had cash to spend.

Nothing of note will happen and we will get knocked out in round 1 or 2.

Holland will promise to revamp the team for a more "playoff style" "tougher" team.

We start 07-08 season in same boat.

Sound familiar?

Guest Crymson

If you have all the money in the world and can spend it he is good, hell most of us could be a good GM if we had cash to spend.

Holland will promise to revamp the team for a more "playoff style" "tougher" team.

Sound familiar?

What in the hell do you want? Seriously.. what can Holland do? Offer to sell half the team in order to get another winger? Holland needs to work with what he has.

In any event, I don't know how in the f*** you can judge Holland after TWO SEASONS with a cap. Last year, all we got was Cory Cross. Big whoop. We went 17-1-3 after the trade deadline, and that one loss was the last game of the season--Babcock scratched half the team. So, I guess we didn't need anyone, eh?

f***, people like this.. man, I just don't get them. They'll spend all sorts of time attempting to contort the facts such that they can conclude everything is hopeless. ******* ridiculous.

Edited by Crymson

we'll just see what happens. the fact is, we DO right now have a good team.....if Holland has a chance to make it better by adding a reliable winger for down the road, then awesome........if we don't end up getting anyone, I'm sure its not because Holland was sitting on his ass or playing golf and not giving a s*** like a lot of people think. I'd like to see someone new here before the deadline, but i do not think its absolutely necessary.

Guest Crymson

we'll just see what happens. the fact is, we DO right now have a good team.....if Holland has a chance to make it better by adding a reliable winger for down the road, then awesome........if we don't end up getting anyone, I'm sure its not because Holland was sitting on his ass or playing golf and not giving a s*** like a lot of people think. I'd like to see someone new here before the deadline, but i do not think its absolutely necessary.

No kidding. A lot of people have the "OMG, OUR TEAM SUCKS, WE CAN'T WIN, WE NEED MORE ETC." mentality. Sorry, kids--we've a pretty good team already.

Holland can only do what he can with what he has. He doesn't have many prospects or picks which he can realistically deal away, nor does he have many starters whom we can afford to lose (and who have trade value).

None of you are GMs. Relatively, you know jack. Remember this.

Soldier on in the message board wars, soldier on 'til morning. Relax, though. Keep in mind these two eternal truths:

i) it's all a game

ii) this is the internet

With this knowledge held close to your heart, you may attain true peace and solidarity with mankind. Now go and spend an afternoon in reflection on Mount Hasek, where all the rest of the team roster sits on his chiseled rocky shoulder when he's not nursing an injury. This will be restorative to your wartorn soul due to the damage of the long icy campaign and ready you for what is ahead.

Also, before you descend, be sure to push Lilly and Willy off. Tell no one.

Abraham Lincoln said: "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time." It's even worse to be Ken Holland because no matter what he does someone will always find fault.

The Wings are in 3rd place out of the entire NHL: bear in mind that the Wings are only two points out of first place. I think Holland has built a darn good team while still remaining below the cap! A hard-hitting power forward and/or an "enforcer," might be nice, but not having one of these doesn't seem so bad when you look at that 3rd place, and who would've thought that the Wings would be where they are, at the start of this season?!

A trade may come, a trade may not come....at least we got all the angles covered!

Just yankin your chain ;)

My name is Jack, do I know Jack? :D

Sound familiar?

Glad to know where your confidence level stands and your already know what's going to happen. If that's the case why even play the remaining games or watch? We might as well just build a time machine and warp to October 2007 and start next season right now!

"If there's a fit, at the right price, we'll do it," Holland said. "(But) I'm not going to do something just for the sake of doing something."

Babcock seconds that.

"That's not how we manage our program," said Babcock, of people wondering how the Wings will respond to Nashville's acquisition. "We don't respond to what other people do. We respond to what we think is right."

We have a smart organization.

A trade may come, a trade may not come....at least we got all the angles covered!

Just yankin your chain ;)

My name is Jack, do I know Jack? :D

Glad to know where your confidence level stands and your already know what's going to happen. If that's the case why even play the remaining games or watch? We might as well just build a time machine and warp to October 2007 and start next season right now!

Yeah, maybe we should, wouldn't make any difference, we'll still have the same SOFT, euro-intensive, team who's offense can go desert dry at the drop of a hat with players that refuse to stand up for one another when the team's stars get cheap shotted.

Why all the Holland love here? He sat on his hands all through the off-season, then claimed he did it to save room to acquire a big gun later in the season. Then as time went by he said he was waiting till the deadline to pull any triggers, and now he is laying the foundation for doing nothing at all. I can understand if he is getting outbid for the offensive stars, but there is no excuse why he can't acquire a Laraque/Drake/Mayers type of grinder.

Have we all forgotten the Philly debacle so soon? or how about the times this season we have been destroyed by san jose, nashville, anaheim, and yes, last place philly.

folks, i do not care what their record is, and i do not care if you say i am not a true fan, but any fan not wearing blinders can see that this team is built about as wrong as you can be for a playoff run, with the exception of Hasek.

i am a die hard wings fan, and if this is the team we go into the playoffs with, we will be destroyed round 1.

Edited by alienanxiety

i am a die hard wings fan, and if this is the team we go into the playoffs with, we will be destroyed round 1.

How do you know this? You can read minds in the future as well? Nobody knows what is going to happen a few months down the road.

Nobody is dismissing what has happened in recent seasons or the brainfart losses every now and then. WE GET IT.

Some of us don't think the playoffs are already over before it hasn't even started in two months. I won't be surprised if this team might bow out in the 2nd round, but give this team a chance for crying out loud, current roster or somewhat fine-tuned roster after the trading deadline.

I'm glad some people here aren't the players, if you all had the "We;re screwed" attitude, the Wings wouldn't even be in the playoffs at all.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

How do you know this? You can read minds in the future as well? Nobody knows what is going to happen a few months down the road.

Nobody is dismissing what has happened in recent seasons or the brainfart losses every now and then. WE GET IT.

Some of us don't think the playoffs are already over before it hasn't even started in two months. Give this team a chance for crying out loud, current roster or somewhat fine-tuned roster after the trading deadline.

it's called making a prediction. happens all the time in sports.

I personally would rather see Holland make no move if pulling the trigger meant selling the farm like Nashville did for Forsberg.

I agree. Our playoffs are going to come down to Hasek. WIll he be healthy and dominate? No one we get at the deadline's going to be the difference. I'm not saying we shouldn't look for what we can do, just not count on that and certainly to your point not jeopardize the future.

And I'm good with that, I'd rather go for bust with Hasek then have the certainty of a medocre goaltender and trade for a scorer where we end up going an extra round but not all the way.

It's all or nothing! In the end, it's Stanley Cups you remember. And now all is depended on Hasek, not a trade at the deadline.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Well if it was so obvious, then why bust my balls for it? If we play San Jose or Anaheim in the first round we will lose, if we manage to pull past Nashville and play Dallas/Minnesota/Vancouver we should be able to take them. These predictions are based on the team we have now, if no moves are made.

Edited by alienanxiety

We have a smart organization.

I was gonna quote the same thing Barrie.

Guys, Holland isnt an idiot, give him a break.

IMO I'd rather not trade for any of the guys on the list in that article. Guerin is past his prime and on the downslope, and Nolan is kinda the same deal. Betuzzi... well maybe, but I really dont like the guy. Even though he is what we need.

I'd rather not trade away a great prospect (Flips, Huds, Kindl, Kronwall, etc) or high draft picks (which we desperatly need to keep youth in the system) for a past-his-prime player, who may help us just for this season then be gone the next.

Sound familiar?

Sounds like it's time to abbreviate the user name to just "uofmfan" to me.

Well he's got a winning team, and about 5 million in cap space to spare. 4 million from the Shanny void, 1.44 million from Fischer being on long-term cap relief.

f***, people like this.. man, I just don't get them. They'll spend all sorts of time attempting to contort the facts such that they can conclude everything is hopeless. ******* ridiculous.

:clap::clap::clap:

What in the hell do you want? Seriously.. what can Holland do? Offer to sell half the team in order to get another winger? Holland needs to work with what he has.

In any event, I don't know how in the f*** you can judge Holland after TWO SEASONS with a cap. Last year, all we got was Cory Cross. Big whoop. We went 17-1-3 after the trade deadline, and that one loss was the last game of the season--Babcock scratched half the team. So, I guess we didn't need anyone, eh?

When is the President's Trophy parade? Big deal, this team has had ample opportunities to get more playoff ready, they could've made bigger pushes for guys like Nolan and Guerin in the offseason, but we sign Greg Johnson instead. This team has ONE LINE, Lang is paired with wingers who are essentially fourth liners, and this team has no grit. Funny that the guys that are now commanding a premium as "playoff rentals" the Wings could've signed as ufa's in the off season. We lose leaders like Yzerman, scorers like Shanahan and replace them with Jason Williams and Samuelsson and people wonder why Holland needs to make some moves....

I was gonna quote the same thing Barrie.

Guys, Holland isnt an idiot, give him a break.

IMO I'd rather not trade for any of the guys on the list in that article. Guerin is past his prime and on the downslope, and Nolan is kinda the same deal. Betuzzi... well maybe, but I really dont like the guy. Even though he is what we need.

I'd rather not trade away a great prospect (Flips, Huds, Kindl, Kronwall, etc) or high draft picks (which we desperatly need to keep youth in the system) for a past-his-prime player, who may help us just for this season then be gone the next.

Right.

The Wings are more focused on the big picture. Instead of winning one Cup, I think the organization wants to put another run together and win 2 or 3.

I'm all for making deals at the deadline, but it's not worth it to sell the farm and screw yourself over for the next 5 years.

I'm glad we didn't get Forsberg. If Hasek stays healthy, we're going far.

Did miss something?

Did they move the trade deadline up to yesterday?

Here's a thought. Next time someone feels the urge to go on a rant about how much Holland sucks and how he's not going to trade for any good player and we're going to lose in the first round of the playoffs, write it down a piece of paper. Make a list.

Then when the trade deadline actually passes, if nothing happens, you can grab your handy little list and ***** to your heart's content.

What the hell do you want Holland to say? "We desperately need to make a move! If we don't get a gritty winger, we're screwed!" It wouldn't exactly help his bargaining position.

When is the President's Trophy parade? Big deal, this team has had ample opportunities to get more playoff ready, they could've made bigger pushes for guys like Nolan and Guerin in the offseason, but we sign Greg Johnson instead. This team has ONE LINE, Lang is paired with wingers who are essentially fourth liners, and this team has no grit. Funny that the guys that are now commanding a premium as "playoff rentals" the Wings could've signed as ufa's in the off season. We lose leaders like Yzerman, scorers like Shanahan and replace them with Jason Williams and Samuelsson and people wonder why Holland needs to make some moves....

Exactly. We sat and wait while Kenny "bided his time", as people like to say, and signed none of that playoff grit we were supposed to get in the offseason. The upcoming deadline is now D-day for him, time to show that waitng it out and signing nobody was the right move. Now we're hearing from Holland about how trade prices are too high and whatnot...well buddy then why didnt you f'n SIGN some guys in the offseason then! Did you not expect this?