• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

5 Reason's Datsyuk Will NOT Be Traded

Rate this topic

Datsyuk has never really impressed me all that much.I think he's pretty overrated actually.He shows flashes of extreme brilliance at times, but he's not very consistant overall, and seems unsure of himself at times.He's definitly not worth 5mill plus a season as it stands now IMO.Let's hope he shows up in the playoffs this year.Maybe then i'll be happier with him.

When you compare it to his buddy's contract. He hadn't yet accomplished anything to warrant becoming the Wings' highest paid forward. He still hasn't. Z was a better all-around player then, and he still is now. Yes, Z is ridiculously underpaid, but Datsyuk is looking to more than double it. Kenny panicked and handed out $1M too much for the worst possible term (2 years leading directly to UFA). Now rather than bending the Wings over a barrel negotiating against Russian teams it will be the rest of the NHL...
Before Datsyuk re-signed that summer he was Detroit's best forward and unquestionably the team's #1 center. Zetterberg was a better defensive player, but Datsyuk was THE GUY...guys like Lewis, Holland and Wings players referred to him as such. Holland did the right thing in giving a 26 year old emerging star that money. Your beef with Pav seems to be more with the negotiation tactics than his actual play thses past two years. Datsyuk surely made Holland look like a smart man last season...he was on pace for 90-100 points before hurting his thigh and went back and forth with Zetterberg as the team's best forward all year.

Here's 5 reasons Datsyuk will not be traded and will be resigned. Some are flimsy and some are concrete, but you will have to be the judge.

1. He wants to stay. Players taking less than their initial offer isn't unthinkable, though it is rare. He says he wants to retire a Wing and I believe him.

2. Holland isn't a moron. He will pay him what he thinks is a reasonable price. A player of Pavel's caliber radiates 5+ million a year and every GM in the league knows it, including Holland.

3. Holland isn't a moron. He knows after this current hot streak that the line is unstoppable when it's hot. To gamble on breaking it up is unthinkable.

4. Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. I say on over 80% of Z's goals, Datsyuk is the main assist. He wouldn't have half the goals or even half the scoring chances without Dats feeding him the puck.

5. Of all the players on the Wings roster, who would you want to have the puck with 1:00 left on the clock down 2-1 in game seven of the finals with the goalie pulled?

I agree on all of them except 5.

Datsyuk has been a recent no-show in the playoffs, so giving him the puck in game seven of the finals might not be the best idea. If, for some ungodly reason, the NHL went to a shootout in the playoffs, I'd want Datsyuk taking the shot 99/100 times. His stickhandling is ridiculous.

And I completely agree that Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. Their chemistry is some of the best in the league, and since I don't think this is even the prime of their careers, breaking them up would be grounds for "Moron of the Year" award.

Datsyuk is not likely to be traded, but I agree with NN, the points listed by the threadstarter couldn't be further from the truth. I think Datsyuk needs Zetterberg more than the other way around. The last argument is downright laughable. Few others have displayed their inability to score in the playoffs like Datsyuk.

But if Lidstrom were to play 20+ seasons, he wouldn't be playing at the level that he has/is now- see Chelios. He will fade, and will not be getting max, or near it IF this were to happen. I don't think it will though, you know he wants to go back to Sweden/his kids to go to school there- I think the end of Nick in Detroit will come sooner than later.

Lidstrom is NOT taking his kids back to Sweden. He has said in the past that his family is too Americanized now to return to Sweden. He took them back for the summer a few years ago before his last contract and the kids hated it there...that is why he signed the newest long term deal. If things had gone well with the kids he wasnt going to re-sign. I have no doubt that he and his wife will return to Sweden after the kids are grown but for now they are all staying put right here, so that gives him plenty of time for many more years with Detroit.

brutus

Edited by brutus

Datsyuk is not likely to be traded, but I agree with NN, the points listed by the threadstarter couldn't be further from the truth. I think Datsyuk needs Zetterberg more than the other way around. The last argument is downright laughable. Few others have displayed their inability to score in the playoffs like Datsyuk.

Zetterberg does look like the more complete player of the two, but, interestingly enough, after the line was reunited on Dec.20, Zetterberg's stats improved far more than Datsyuk's, compared to both last year and the first half of this one.

It could be that Zetterberg needs Datsyuk more than Datsyuk needs Zetterberg. Or maybe they both just can't live without Homer... :)

Here's 5 reasons Datsyuk will not be traded and will be resigned. Some are flimsy and some are concrete, but you will have to be the judge.

1. He wants to stay. Players taking less than their initial offer isn't unthinkable, though it is rare. He says he wants to retire a Wing and I believe him.

2. Holland isn't a moron. He will pay him what he thinks is a reasonable price. A player of Pavel's caliber radiates 5+ million a year and every GM in the league knows it, including Holland.

3. Holland isn't a moron. He knows after this current hot streak that the line is unstoppable when it's hot. To gamble on breaking it up is unthinkable.

4. Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. I say on over 80% of Z's goals, Datsyuk is the main assist. He wouldn't have half the goals or even half the scoring chances without Dats feeding him the puck.

5. Of all the players on the Wings roster, who would you want to have the puck with 1:00 left on the clock down 2-1 in game seven of the finals with the goalie pulled?

While I have a problem with more than one of your five reasons, my biggest beef is with number 4. While Dats has helped Z, its Zetterberg that is tearing up the league right now. They same could be said about Datsyuk's goals recently (I.E. The first goal against Dallas on 2/14).

To answer number 5, it would be Lidstrom first, then Zetterberg, and then Datsyuk.

While Dats is great, Z is the more complete, all-around better player. Simple as that.

Ask yourself this question, if we can only afford one or the other, do you want Hank or Pavel?

I would take Hank and not give it a second thought.

But that would be the Zetterberg of the first three months of the season. By himself, he wasn't anywhere near the dominating player he is now. There are about 30 other forwards in the NHL, that I would take over the Oct.5 -Dec.20 , 2007 Zetterberg. But very few that I would take over the Dec.20-present Zetterberg. That would be the Zettreberg+Datsyuk+Holmstrom effect. Without the others, each of them is half (or less, statistically) of the player he is when they are together.

While I have a problem with more than one of your five reasons, my biggest beef is with number 4. While Dats has helped Z, its Zetterberg that is tearing up the league right now. They same could be said about Datsyuk's goals recently (I.E. The first goal against Dallas on 2/14).

To answer number 5, it would be Lidstrom first, then Zetterberg, and then Datsyuk.

While Dats is great, Z is the more complete, all-around better player. Simple as that.

:clap::clap:

It's laughable that any succsess Dats has is attributed to Z around here. Yet Z doesn't owe Dats so much as a thanks. That's just silly. Personally I'd like to see them both remain with the Wings. But the Z man crushes vs. the less than favorable Dats posts are a bit silly also. Eh, said it before, I'm going to let Dat's play do the talking, seems to be doing alright and I'm sure it'll continue into the post season as well. Just one question, if Z's so God-like on skates, then why not put him with Cleary and Williams, and Lang with Dats and Homer? Then you got two lines, since Z can carry one by himself, and Dats has Lang and Homer to work with, since he needs other players help so desprately?

Zetterberg does look like the more complete player of the two, but, interestingly enough, after the line was reunited on Dec.20, Zetterberg's stats improved far more than Datsyuk's, compared to both last year and the first half of this one.

It could be that Zetterberg needs Datsyuk more than Datsyuk needs Zetterberg. Or maybe they both just can't live without Homer... :)

That's just stats though. There could be a million reasons behind Zetterberg's slow start and current success. There's absolutely nothing to suggest Zetterberg's current success is linked specifically to Datsyuk. I've seen him dominate like this before. Just look at the playoffs, where the two were separated. Zetterberg scored 6 goals, while Datsyuk continued his no show tradition. To suggest Zetterberg needs Datsyuk is ridiculous.

It's laughable that any succsess Dats has is attributed to Z around here. Yet Z doesn't owe Dats so much as a thanks. That's just silly. Personally I'd like to see them both remain with the Wings. But the Z man crushes vs. the less than favorable Dats posts are a bit silly also. Eh, said it before, I'm going to let Dat's play do the talking, seems to be doing alright and I'm sure it'll continue into the post season as well. Just one question, if Z's so God-like on skates, then why not put him with Cleary and Williams, and Lang with Dats and Homer? Then you got two lines, since Z can carry one by himself, and Dats has Lang and Homer to work with, since he needs other players help so desprately?

Nobody's denying that the two play well together, people are reacting to the ridiculous argument made by the threadstarter as to why Datsyuk should be kept in Detroit.

Zetterberg could probably carry the line of Cleary and Williams. It couldn't get much worse than now, but good luck having either Datsyuk or Lang play wing. Which is another reason why Zetterberg is superior to Datsyuk, he is flexible.

Because no one in their right mind would break up a line that is clicking so well right now. Yes, Dats is playing well and deserves a lot of credit. So does Homer.....but Z is playing at a whole different level right now. It's pretty hard to deny that.

That's just stats though. There could be a million reasons behind Zetterberg's slow start and current success. There's absolutely nothing to suggest Zetterberg's current success is linked specifically to Datsyuk. I've seen him dominate like this before. Just look at the playoffs, where the two were separated. Zetterberg scored 6 goals, while Datsyuk continued his no show tradition. To suggest Zetterberg needs Datsyuk is ridiculous.

Actually I think Dats assisted on 2 or 3 of Z's goals, the big one being when Dats took the puck along the boards and worked through 2 defenders to send the puck to Z in the slot for an easy goal. Two of Z's other goals were rebound tap-in's. Right place at the right time for sure, but no Crosbyesque magic there. Anyway all that's (last years playoffs) been bashed into oblivion a million times. But to suggest that Z needs no one, is even more ridiculous. Besides the fact I'm sure Z doesn't share your opinion.

I'm really hoping Dats will step-up this year in the playoffs. He really didnt do that bad last playoffs - he tied Lidstrom with points, but some people seem to forget that he was injured the last 3-4 games of the regular season and Game 1 of the playoffs... So, he wasnt in top shape and the whole team played like crap. I think if we get a good 2 rounds in and Dats doesnt show up - ship em out.

Actually I think Dats assisted on 2 or 3 of Z's goals, the big one being when Dats took the puck along the boards and worked through 2 defenders to send the puck to Z in the slot for an easy goal. Two of Z's other goals were rebound tap-in's. Right place at the right time for sure, but no Crosbyesque magic there. Anyway all that's (last years playoffs) been bashed into oblivion a million times. But to suggest that Z needs no one, is even more ridiculous. Besides the fact I'm sure Z doesn't share your opinion.

Every player needs a little help here and there, but the Wings management has said plenty of times that when a player is struggling, all they have to do is put them on a line with Z, and they come right around. While Dats is a hell of a play maker, Z is the only one I've heard them say that about.

Sidenote: Crosbyesque..........its not like Crosby doesn't get his share of normal goals. In fact, he gets plenty of them.

Zetterberg could probably carry the line of Cleary and Williams. It couldn't get much worse than now, but good luck having either Datsyuk or Lang play wing. Which is another reason why Zetterberg is superior to Datsyuk, he is flexible.

It couldn't get any worse, I say in reality to move Flip up there and Lang down, but that's not going to happen. Datsyuk has been playing wing succsessfully for over 30 games now, he's proven the ablility too. With Z at such a bargin, the Wings could in all reality "over pay" for Dats for 2 more years, and still sign a number of free agents whilst keeping both on the team. A win-win, no?

I believe you are right about Datsyuk assisting Zetterberg on more than one occasion -my bad, but Datsyuk's goalless streak continued nonetheless. The point about Zetterberg > Datsyuk is still valid. That's not saying Zetterberg needs no one. Frankly, I couldn't care less if the goals weren't pretty.

Every player needs a little help here and there, but the Wings management has said plenty of times that when a player is struggling, all they have to do is put them on a line with Z, and they come right around. While Dats is a hell of a play maker, Z is the only one I've heard them say that about.

Sidenote: Crosbyesque..........its not like Crosby doesn't get his share of normal goals. In fact, he gets plenty of them.

Well, they got 3 other lines that are struggling, no? Time to put that theory to practice if you ask me. I'm not surprised Z's the only one anyone ever hears about. I'd perfer Dats stays "overrated" and under the radar heading into the playoffs. I'm thinking that will be a great benifit to his game.

Yeah, you could've put any superstar you wanted in there "Alex O., Vinnie, ect..." The point was more for when it's suggested that Z is on that level, and his goals last post season were all highlight reel, that you see above players do regularly.

It couldn't get any worse, I say in reality to move Flip up there and Lang down, but that's not going to happen. Datsyuk has been playing wing succsessfully for over 30 games now, he's proven the ablility too. With Z at such a bargin, the Wings could in all reality "over pay" for Dats for 2 more years, and still sign a number of free agents whilst keeping both on the team. A win-win, no?

That's an interesting theory, but IMO you never want to overpay for anyone, especially if you're doing it on purpose and there's not a foundation for your gamble. :sly: If Dats shows up in the playoffs and has a big playoff year, that's a different story.

Well, they got 3 other lines that are struggling, no? Time to put that theory to practice if you ask me. I'm not surprised Z's the only one anyone ever hears about. I'd perfer Dats stays "overrated" and under the radar heading into the playoffs. I'm thinking that will be a great benifit to his game.

Yeah, you could've put any superstar you wanted in there "Alex O., Vinnie, ect..." The point was more for when it's suggested that Z is on that level, and his goals last post season were all highlight reel, that you see above players do regularly.

Not when your winning and Z is putting up the numbers that he is. I'd rather have 4 goals per game come from 1 line (right now) than only 2 goals a game come from different lines .

I'd perfer Dats stays "overrated" and under the radar heading into the playoffs. I'm thinking that will be a great benifit to his game.

And I hope you're right with this statment. If Dats shows up in the playoffs, Z continues his hot play, Lang puts up his usual playoff numbers, and we add a solid strong player (or 2) at the deadline, this team is very scary.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

That's an interesting theory, but IMO you never want to overpay for anyone, especially if you're doing it on purpose and there's not a foundation for your gamble. :sly: If Dats shows up in the playoffs and has a big playoff year, that's a different story.

Not when your winning and Z is putting up the numbers that he is. I'd rather have 4 goals per game come from 1 line (right now) than only 2 goals a game come from different lines .

And I hope you're right with this statment. If Dats shows up in the playoffs, Z continues his hot play, Lang puts up his usual playoff numbers, and we add a solid strong player (or 2) at the deadline, this team is very scary.

Off topic.....how do you do multiple qoutes like that? :blush: (still a little slow on the in's and outs of things)

Don't want to take anything away from Z. The guy is great, the hat trick game was was awesome for sure. My main issue is sometimes some people go a little over board. for example, the wrap around goal he scored a few games back, he actually lost the puck for a moment which changed the angle and greatly benifited him on the goal. Yet some posters were ready to nominate it for goal of the year. Just little things like that irritate me.

The whole line has been absolutly on fire, especially Z. While I agree with your statement of not careing if all the goals come from one line, I see that as backfireing big time in the playoffs. Not due to the line tailing off as much as the other team being able to key on one line and Lang.

Yeah, something's gotta give with the other 3 lines for anything to happen. That second line especially, that's not going to cut it IMO. To me the x-factor is Dom, without him I don't think it matters how many players they add.

Off topic.....how do you do multiple qoutes like that? :blush: (still a little slow on the in's and outs of things)

If you want to do multiple quotes from different posts, just hit the "+ Quote" button for each post you want to quote, and then hit the "Add Reply" button at the bottom. When you go to post, all these quotes will already show up in your dialogue box.

If you want to break up someone's single quote into sections, just copy and paste it a few times in your dialogue box and erase the parts of the quote that aren't relevant to what you are answering.

Make sense?

Don't want to take anything away from Z. The guy is great, the hat trick game was was awesome for sure. My main issue is sometimes some people go a little over board. for example, the wrap around goal he scored a few games back, he actually lost the puck for a moment which changed the angle and greatly benifited him on the goal. Yet some posters were ready to nominate it for goal of the year. Just little things like that irritate me.

As far as that goal goes, it depends upon how you look at it. I've heard reasoning for both sides, it just depends on how you, as an individual view it. I won't repeat what I've already said in the other thread.

The whole line has been absolutly on fire, especially Z. While I agree with your statement of not careing if all the goals come from one line, I see that as backfireing big time in the playoffs. Not due to the line tailing off as much as the other team being able to key on one line and Lang.

Yeah, something's gotta give with the other 3 lines for anything to happen. That second line especially, that's not going to cut it IMO. To me the x-factor is Dom, without him I don't think it matters how many players they add.

Absolutely it will backfire in the playoffs. That's why I wrote "right now" next to my statement. Come playoff time, teams will absolutely focus on that line. That's why I brought up signing 1 or 2 solid, strong players (both forwards) before the deadline. I believe thats going to be the key to the Wings going deep in the playoffs.

To me the x-factor is Dom, without him I don't think it matters how many players they add.

As long as Dom's healthy come playoff time (knock on wood) I have no concern about him in net. I don't feel Hasek will lose it for the Wings, but he just may win it for them.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Great post. He wont be dealt for the obvious reasons. Come on people...we're first in the West and we're in a battle to lock that position down. Why would be break up our one line of production? Dats will be re-signed hopefully for about 5 per season. He and Zetts should clearly play together for the rest of their NHL careers....in Detroit.

Nobody's denying that the two play well together, people are reacting to the ridiculous argument made by the threadstarter as to why Datsyuk should be kept in Detroit.

Of the 30 Zetterberg's goals this season, only six! were scored without either Datsyuk or Holmstrom being present on the ice. Eight without Datsyuk being on the ice and nine without Homer. Put Zetterberg with any other line, and he is a 20-goal scorer. Put him with these two, and he is 50-goal scorer. Hockey is a team game. Sometimes a scoring play doesn't happen without a good defensive play, sometimes the crucial pass was the third one, that doesn't go in the books. But it is hard to argue that playing with Datsyuk and Holmstrom doesn't make Zetterberg the dominant player that he is right now, when he rarely scores without them.

To answer your other claim, Datsyuk is playing wing now, with Zetterberg playing center. Doesn't that make him flexible also?

Great post. He wont be dealt for the obvious reasons. Come on people...we're first in the West and we're in a battle to lock that position down. Why would be break up our one line of production? Dats will be re-signed hopefully for about 5 per season. He and Zetts should clearly play together for the rest of their NHL careers....in Detroit.

We can all dream. :zzz:

But, since people are having a problem comprehending the 5th reason, let me ellaborate.

Who would you want setting up a play in the offensive zone with one minute left, etc...?

Yes Nick has the shot, yes Z has a better shot than Pavel (debatable since Pavel does have a wicked wrist shot) but Pavel's passing skills and vision on the ice are unquestioned.