• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

Let's just assume.............

Rate this topic

Alright, let's talk about likely playoff scenarios.

Scenario 1: Wings win the conference and must play (more than likely) Minnesota or Calgary.

Scenario 2: Wings lose the Central, take the 4 seed and (more than likely) play San Jose or Dallas.

IPB Image

Now, don't jump on me and say things like, "there are 21 games still left and standings could drastically change" or "it totally depends on who the Wings pick up (if they pick someone up) before the deadline" or even "it depends on whose hot coming down the stretch". Obviously all of these factors play a huge roll in who you would want to face in the first round. My question is simple, given the two scenarios I've posted about, and the limited knowledge we have with just under a quarter of the season remaining, what scenario do you feel will play itself out, and who would you feel most comfortable playing in the first round?

Please give me some dialect here people.........I can't take another "Who is Holland looking to add" thread.

A few weeks ago I would have said no way in hell do we play anyone other than San Jose/Anaheim if we don't win the division. But both those teams sure have stunk it up as of late.

Those long east coast trips must take there toll just like when the Wings travel West for 4-5 game stretches.

Edit:

I think we'll win the division and play Minnesota in the first round. It sure would be nice to avoid the long travel early in the playoffs.

Edited by johnnyoski

A few weeks ago I would have said no way in hell do we play anyone other than San Jose/Anaheim if we don't win the division. But both those teams sure have stunk it up as of late.

Those long east coast trips must take there toll just like when the Wings travel West for 4-5 game stretches.

Unless the Wings blew the 1 or 4 seed, there would be no way possible that the Wings could play Anaheim in the first round.

Given Anaheim wins their division.

Unless the Wings blew the 1 or 4 seed, there would be no way possible that the Wings could play Anaheim in the first round.

Given Anaheim wins their division.

Well when Anaheim was in their slump and the Sharks were playing well it looked like they could have possibly flipped positions.

Doesn't look very likely now though.

Edited by johnnyoski

Out of all the teams mentioned I'd take Minnesota. First of all because of the proximity to Michigan. Travel time wouldn't be much of an issue and neither would the one-hour difference in time. Minnesota isn't nearly as experienced in the playoffs which is a plus. We seem to play Minnesota well in the regular season. The only outstanding factor in my book is Manny Fernandez. Does he become the next goalie to stand on his head in the first round? Calgary and San Jose are too dangerous in the first round IMO. Dallas might not be a bad match up either but they are pretty experienced in the playoffs.

It's always dangerous to wish for/choose an opponent, but...

Scenario 1. I'll take Minnesota. They play shut down hockey, but with Babcock's new system I think the Red Wings should be less vulnerable to that. Calgary plays a physical game and has a great goalie. For obvious reasons I'd like to avoid this combination.

Scenario 2. I'll take Dallas. Some might argue that it's Dallas turn, but history has a tendency to repeat itself and Detroit usually do well vs Dallas and Turco. San Jose has a big and strong team. They also have a mighty centre tandem in Thornton and Marleau.

Out of all the teams mentioned I'd take Minnesota. First of all because of the proximity to Michigan. Travel time wouldn't be much of an issue and neither would the one-hour difference in time. Minnesota isn't nearly as experienced in the playoffs which is a plus. We seem to play Minnesota well in the regular season. The only outstanding factor in my book is Manny Fernandez. Does he become the next goalie to stand on his head in the first round? Calgary and San Jose are too dangerous in the first round IMO. Dallas might not be a bad match up either but they are pretty experienced in the playoffs.

But you know Turco would help the Wings, as he has every other team he's faced in the playoffs.

Scenario 1. I'll take Minnesota. They play shut down hockey, but with Babcock's new system I think the Red Wings should be less vulnerable to that. Calgary plays a physical game and has a great goalie. For obvious reasons I'd like to avoid this combination.

Scenario 2. I'll take Dallas. Some might argue that it's Dallas turn, but history has a tendency to repeat itself and Detroit usually do well vs Dallas and Turco. San Jose has a big and strong team. They also have a mighty centre tandem in Thornton and Marleau.

Isn't there some crazy stat that Turco has never beaten the Wings?

The Red Wings will get beaten up by one of Calgary, Anaheim, or San Jose, or Nashville. I believe we can beat any teams except for those 4 barring a complete playoff meltdown (which happens all too often in Detroit.) Once we play one of the more physical teams listed above, we will never last an entire 7 game series.

That's what I'm saying, I remember hoping for the Ducks and Edmonton, then I saw where that got the Wings. I kinda like the battles though. Sweeps and "easier" rounds are cool too, but I love watching the hard faught battles where it could go either way, and in the end if they make it, you know they truly deserve it. Plus it's just plain more entertaining.

I'd almost prefer to play a team that has secured their position before the last few games. The six through eight seeds have to fight and claw the last 20 games to make the post season and they seem to carry that over into the playoffs. They are likely teams that have been up and down all season, so they are more likely to buy into a team-oriented system that is boring, ugly and effective.

If you look at the last few post seasons, even including the Vancouver series in '02, all those teams hit game one with all cylinders running. The Wings took a game or two to get going and if they drop one at home, the pressure increases and the underdog gets to go home feeling good and in front of a raucous crowd. Let's face it, the Vancouver series could have been completely different if Lidstrom doesn't score from center ice and completely destroy Cloutier's confidence.

I agree on all points.

Plus I feel like the West Coast has been kryptonite to the Red Wings. The longer they stay away, the better.

I'd almost prefer to play a team that has secured their position before the last few games. The six through eight seeds have to fight and claw the last 20 games to make the post season and they seem to carry that over into the playoffs. They are likely teams that have been up and down all season, so they are more likely to buy into a team-oriented system that is boring, ugly and effective.

If you look at the last few post seasons, even including the Vancouver series in '02, all those teams hit game one with all cylinders running. The Wings took a game or two to get going and if they drop one at home, the pressure increases and the underdog gets to go home feeling good and in front of a raucous crowd. Let's face it, the Vancouver series could have been completely different if Lidstrom doesn't score from center ice and completely destroy Cloutier's confidence.

Or Cheli containing Bert.

I agree 100% with that assessment.

Why does everyone assume Turco will blow if we play Dallas? Both times it's happened Dallas played the Av's in the playoffs. It could be just because it's the Av's. I never really seen Turco do that bad against any other team in the playoffs. In 2002-2003 Dallas did go to the WCSF (round 2) but lost to an Anaheim team that eventually made it to the finals anyways. Please people, let's not call the shots before they happen. I'm sure everyone here thought we were going to blast Roloson when we played Edmonton last year too, right?

Why does everyone assume Turco will blow if we play Dallas? Both times it's happened Dallas played the Av's in the playoffs. It could be just because it's the Av's. I never really seen Turco do that bad against any other team in the playoffs. In 2002-2003 Dallas did go to the WCSF (round 2) but lost to an Anaheim team that eventually made it to the finals anyways. Please people, let's not call the shots before they happen. I'm sure everyone here thought we were going to blast Roloson when we played Edmonton last year too, right?

Last year wasn't so much about Roloson being good or Edmonton outplaying the Wings as it was about Legace not coming up with the save once when the team needed him. If Legace had made a couple of those key saves rather than blowing the big one every time, the Wings would have beaten Edmonton.

I would rather play Dallas, but to be honest I think we can compete with anyone this year. The difference, as someone pointed out is in goal. Our team defense is amazing, and Hasek in the playoffs cranks it up even another notch. I know we'll add someone at the deadline, likely the expense will be Hudler?? Anyhow, I'm not taking that into consideration. Yes, San Jose/Anaheim/Calgary are physical teams, but I think we've done alright against physical teams this year. Yes, I watched the Philly game last week, that was more of an aberration than anything. Dunno guys/gals, have a good feeling. I'd really like it if the Preds and Wings met in the WCF, maybe crank this up into an actual rivalry. Then, fairy tale ending would be a 7 game SCF against Brodeur's Devils.. wow, that'd be kick ass.

It's not that I expect Turco to crumble (though he has a history of shaky playoff performance). It's more that I think the Wings match up better with Dallas than those other opponents.

Over the last couple years people have been saying " I hope we get this team or this team because it would be an easy victory" ..Well, I hope we get the toughest draw possible. I hope Detroit comes in as the big time underdog. It should light a fire under their Euro behinds to be seen as the weaker team. Then they might get past the first or second round. And, it might inspire Datsyuk to score :P