• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Oilers retire Messier's #11

Rate this topic

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

The only thing I dont like about Messier, is the dude can never show his emotions. Its like, come on dude! Cry once in awhile!

I thought the whole thing with the cup was ridiculous. So damn corny. Let the guy wear a suit, or put on a jersey over it. But to have him come out in full gear and skate the cup around...

Just the whole thing wasn't right to me. The announcer, the presentation. Why did they have to count down from 11? and then after they got to 1, they went to 12?

They should have shown some highlights, let a few guys say some words (Gretzky, Fuhr, Kurri) then unveil the banner, let mark say some words and then raise the banner. Would have been classy, a lot shorter and most of all, Messier wouldn't have had to stand there in his skates the whole time.

Did like the oilers wearing throwbacks though!!

Ryan Smyths comments about the event were pretty emotional. He said he was sitting at home shedding a few tears. Messier was one of his idols growing up and we would have loved to be there and where the old jerseys, etc.

I feel bad for the guy, he really, really did not want to leave.

Yeah, Smyth didn't want to leave, but he could have taken a little less to re-sign. They were obviously pretty close to signing, so the team couldn't have been lowballing him that badly.

Or they agreed on a contract, but went ahead and traded Smyth to bring in some picks and prospects, with the knowledge that Smyth will be back this summer.

Yeah, Smyth didn't want to leave, but he could have taken a little less to re-sign. They were obviously pretty close to signing, so the team couldn't have been lowballing him that badly.

They were only 300k apart, so Smyth could have just settled. Then again, what other organization would trade the face of their franchise over such a small amount.

Edmonton comes out of this looking pretty bad, not just because of the trade, but they didn't even get full value. Horrible job all around by Lowe.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Airborn

They were only 300k apart, so Smyth could have just settled. Then again, what other franchise would trade the face of their franchise over such a small amount.

Edmonton comes out of this looking pretty bad, not just because of the trade, but they didn't even get full value. Horrible job all around by Lowe.

I understand why it happend. Lowe really thought he would sign him, but when they ran out of time, he traded him to avoid the potential of losing him for nothing. Obviously he could have gotten more had he been shopping him around for 2 weeks, but he wasn't.

I am really skeptical of him coming back in the offseason. If they had a hard time signing him now, it will be more difficult signing him when you may have 15 other teams interested. Or maybe that would make his market value more clear and they'll just sign him to that. The only reason I think it is possible that he goes back to Edmonton is the fact that he really wants to be there.

Ryan Smyths comments about the event were pretty emotional. He said he was sitting at home shedding a few tears. Messier was one of his idols growing up and we would have loved to be there and where the old jerseys, etc.

I feel bad for the guy, he really, really did not want to leave.

The old jerseys are way better. Here's hoping for a switch back. :thumbup:

The only thing I dont like about Messier, is the dude can never show his emotions. Its like, come on dude! Cry once in awhile!

Thats because he doesn't have a ******.

EDIT: yes i am completely joking. infact I myself am crying right now.

Edited by Reme

Who's idea was it to have this on the day of the trade deadline anyway? Pretty poor ass planning.

Still though, it's good for Messier since he was a great player. I feel bad for him though because the game went terrible (Oilers get shutout by Phoenix) there was not very much good emotion because of the Ryan Smyth trade, and it was just an all around bad day there in Edmonton. The fans really laid into it too. They cheered every time the one minute remaining in the period message was said, and booed the Oilers when the game was over. Not to mention that throughout spurts of the game fans cheered "Smitty" for obvious reasons.

Who's idea was it to have this on the day of the trade deadline anyway? Pretty poor ass planning.

Still though, it's good for Messier since he was a great player. I feel bad for him though because the game went terrible (Oilers get shutout by Phoenix) there was not very much good emotion because of the Ryan Smyth trade, and it was just an all around bad day there in Edmonton. The fans really laid into it too. They cheered every time the one minute remaining in the period message was said, and booed the Oilers when the game was over. Not to mention that throughout spurts of the game fans cheered "Smitty" for obvious reasons.

Well, had they not traded Smyth, having this on trade deadline day wouldn't really have been a problem.

However, I wouldn't call it poor ass planning as it would obviously specifically planned that day simply because they were playing Phoenix that night (i.e. Gretzky in town).

Well, had they not traded Smyth, having this on trade deadline day wouldn't really have been a problem.

However, I wouldn't call it poor ass planning as it would obviously specifically planned that day simply because they were playing Phoenix that night (i.e. Gretzky in town).

They could have done it on their first match against Phoenix earlier this season.

Yeah, you're probably right though. Had Smyth not been traded, it really wouldn't have mattered.

Excluding 99 how many other players have their number retired in more than one city?

The guy was a picture perfect hockey player, he was a skilled goalscorer, a leader, and he was no afraid to play physical.

Dare I say that he is a better version of shanny?

I thought the whole thing with the cup was ridiculous. So damn corny. Let the guy wear a suit, or put on a jersey over it. But to have him come out in full gear and skate the cup around...

I agree. Skating with the Cup was over the top. He last won it for Edmonton 17 years ago. If he had last won it with them last year, then it's ok to have him skate with it. When you raise the Cup and haven't won it in 13 years, and haven't won it for that city in 17 years, it's just being ridiculous.

As for the rest of your comments, I did not see the ceremony so I cannot comment or judge. I do know, however, that the Oilers were trying to out do what the Red Wings did for Yzerman, so I can see them changing it trying to make it classier, etc. which apparently they failed at.

I also thought it was disrespectful to not have the current GM (and a former teammate) of his there.

I also thought it was disrespectful to not have the current GM (and a former teammate) of his there.

Thats what I was watching for. I wanted to see the reception that Lowe got, but I guess with the trade earlier in the day, they didn't think it was safe for Lowe to be out there. Shame too, because he was definitely a former teammate who deserved to be out there with the rest.

Yea, the full house at The Pharmacy booed when they mentioned his name.

They also Booed loud when Gary Bettman was introduced. They Booed enough to make a frown pass his face.

I loved how he showed up in full gear...what would have made it more spectacular is if he played!!! We will miss you Moose. You were a captain to your squad as great as #19...*sniff*

Excluding 99 how many other players have their number retired in more than one city?

The only other player that comes to mind is Ray Bourque (Boston and Colorado).

I agree. Skating with the Cup was over the top. He last won it for Edmonton 17 years ago. If he had last won it with them last year, then it's ok to have him skate with it. When you raise the Cup and haven't won it in 13 years, and haven't won it for that city in 17 years, it's just being ridiculous.

As for the rest of your comments, I did not see the ceremony so I cannot comment or judge. I do know, however, that the Oilers were trying to out do what the Red Wings did for Yzerman, so I can see them changing it trying to make it classier, etc. which apparently they failed at.

Personally , any jersey retirement is cheesy.

At the beginning of the ceremony there was a 12 minute video of his highlights, but maybe it wasn't shown on American television.

As much as you like to believe, the Oilers were not trying to out do the Yzerman ceremony (here we go again - who's the better leader blah, blah).

The Messier celebration was trying to out do Coffey's which out did Fuhr's which out did Kurri's which out did Gretzky's. Messier skating with his old Oiler uniform was a tradition started with Kurri's jersey retirement.

Kurri wore his full retro Oiler uniform and took a pass from Gretzky (99 was wearing a suit) at centre ice and one-timed the puck.

Fuhr wore his full goalie uniform including his pure white face mask when his number was retired.

Coffey sped around the whole ice surface, to show his effortless stride, on his special day.

So I guess since Messier won 6 Stanley Cups he will be remembered as the guy who carried the Cup around the ice.

I'm sure the Detroit fans too would of felt it was cool if Yzerman, wearing his full Red Wing uniform, skated around Joe Louis with the Stanley Cup above his head on his celebration.

Edited by North Guy