• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T-Ruff

Peguins Declare Impasse in Arena Talks...

Rate this topic

Per TSN, the Gazette:

The on-going negotiations between the Pittsburgh Penguins and government officials over the building of a new area are not going as well as hoped.

According to a report in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the Penguins have declared an impasse and will aggressively explore moving the franchise to a new city.

Penguins co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle told Pennsylvania governor Ed Rendell, Allegheny County chief executive Dan Onorato and Pittsburgh mayor Luke Ravenstahl about their decision in a letter on Monday.

According to the report, the Penguins had agreed to pay $4 million annually in rent and capital expenses to contribute to a new area, as well as an additional $500,000 for a parking garage, but the two sides have not been able to reach an agreement. The Penguins had originally offered to pay $2.86 million annually in the offer that was presented by state and local leaders at a meeting January 4.

''Unfortunately, we still don't have a deal and are faced with mounting uncertainty that an agreement can be reached in a time frame that is realistic for our organization,'' the letter states. ''Therefore, we have no choice but to declare an impasse and to notify NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman that we will aggressively explore relocation.

''A project of this scope, with so many complex issues, can ill afford further delays that add more risk and more uncertainty. The risk has been magnified by what we perceive as a lack of collaboration from the public sector in the negotiations.

''Our good faith efforts have not produced a deal, however, and have only added more anxiety to what we thought at best was a risky proposition for us moving forward.''

Kansas City is the favourite to land the Penguins as they have a brand new arena that is missing a tenant.

Edited by T-Ruff

This is getting a little old. I know they really want a new arena, and I understand a complete relocation is a HUGE call, and there may be more behind closed doors than I know about ... but this is starting to seem like 'boy who cried wolf' threats. ... if that makes sense. Just seems like Mario keeps threatening but then nothing happens.

1. Penguins to Kansas City.

2. Detroit to Eastern Conference.

I know the team should cater to the people of Detroit, but NO!!! haha, sorry, I will remain biased. Sure I woulfd love to see Detroit play Toronto a fe wmore times every year, but I like Detroit where they are.

Not only is "cry wolf" tactics, it has to be a distraction for a club that's doing very well since the All-Star break. They made some moves at the deadline, and they look like they want to make a run this season (as unlikely as it seemed a few months back). It's unfortunate that Crosby and the bunch have to think about this garbage while they're trying to win hockey games, get themselves back into the playoffs and make a showing.

As for moving the Red Wings to the East, I've always been opposed to it, however, after hearing some of the management and players' opinions regarding travel and time zone shifts and such, it may not be such a terrible idea. I don't like the style of the Eastern Conference and how it matches up against the Wings, but I'm sure they can adjust, and the flights to and from San Jose/LA/Vancouver/Calgary fewer times a season would be nice for the guys.

Edit: spelling

Edited by JeeSpot82

I would be in somewhat favor of it if the Wings move into the East. But I will really feel bad for the fans of Pittsburgh of the Penguins move to KC, and win the Cup in their first year (like the Av's did when they left Quebec). Nobody will hardly watch in the regular season, but if they win in their first year I guarentee all the bandwagoners will come in full force. All we need is another team filled with bandwagon fans that, when the team is starting to slip just a little, nobody goes to watch anymore. Just look at the Av's. Since their not invinciable anymore, hardly anyone supports them.

AS was stated in many previous posts, The bluejackets would probably move east before the Wings do.

How many times does this have to be brought up!!?? NO, we're not going to the Eastern Conference, Columbus would go first.

The wings will move to the East. Mr. Ilitch and his goons will have Bettman hanging over a 10 story building if thats what it takes.

Wings Management seems to feel they are going to be the ones who go East...

From the Free Press...

"I can assure you if anybody from the Eastern Conference moves West, we'll be the Western team to go East," senior vice president Jimmy Devellano told me Tuesday.

If realignment is required, Devellano assured me the Wings have laid the groundwork to shift easterly.

"We've already done that," he said, "we've done that for a long time."

(End of Story)

Pretty much seems they are set on moving if it is even the slightest possibility. Though Bill Daly's response is a little disheartening...

"I asked NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly about the unfairness regarding travel..."it's not a new burden for Detroit, and that it has benefited the league to have Detroit in the West, which would play into the league's consideration of how to realign."

"Detroit would clearly have a strong case," Daly said, "but by the same token, there are other teams in the Western Conference that kind of depend on Detroit being in the Western Conference, so ... there's always balancing involved that would involve a lot of debate, I'm sure, with respect to what you do with the realignment. But hopefully we never get there. At least at this point."

:(

Wings Management seems to feel they are going to be the ones who go East...

From the Free Press...

"I can assure you if anybody from the Eastern Conference moves West, we'll be the Western team to go East," senior vice president Jimmy Devellano told me Tuesday.

If realignment is required, Devellano assured me the Wings have laid the groundwork to shift easterly.

"We've already done that," he said, "we've done that for a long time."

(End of Story)

You know, I've cited these kind of quotes from the Wings camp before. The funny thing about all of this (to me), is how alot of the Wings fans here side with the BlueJackets, Bettman, the league, some blog "reporter", etc before they'll side with the freaking Red Wings management and ownership...which have said THE ABOVE....repeatedly.

Anyway-

Concerning the Pens announcement today....more posturing from Lemieux, nothing else. Hes not going to move the team...but he does think he can scare more money out of the government coffers up there for a new arena.

You know, I've cited these kind of quotes from the Wings camp before. The funny thing about all of this (to me), is how alot of the Wings fans here side with the BlueJackets, Bettman, the league, some blog "reporter", etc before they'll side with the freaking Red Wings management and ownership...which have said THE ABOVE....repeatedly.

:clap:

the bottom line is we've been doing the roadtrips for DECADES LONGER and have spent alot of incresed money on travel for DECADES. I don't care if Columbus is .345 degrees farther east of Detroit geographically or whatever the argument is , if you think that's how it should be then Atlanta should go to the West.

the Pens are most likely moving to KC, the area is built, the company that owns it, AEG, has a big wig on the NHL re-location committee. It's all set up for them to move, this is just posturing by the Pens.

AS was stated in many previous posts, The bluejackets would probably move east before the Wings do.

I don't care what was said in any posts or in previous talks at the meetings. The Wings have desire to move east and alot of pull. If the West with the exception of the Wings wants them to stay, and all of the East wants the Wings to move east, that means 16-14 Wings win and go East.

Plus if they move the Jackets east, I will burn their building to the ground. :flamingmad: Then we will go anyways.

I don't care what was said in any posts or in previous talks at the meetings. The Wings have desire to move east and alot of pull. If the West with the exception of the Wings wants them to stay, and all of the East wants the Wings to move east, that means 16-14 Wings win and go East.

Plus if they move the Jackets east, I will burn their building to the ground. :flamingmad: Then we will go anyways.

The Western teams will vote to keep Detroit in the East, and most of the East teams really don't care all that much, so they will probably vote to with the other Western teams. It would be better for league economics to keep Detroit in the West, which is why it will be Columbus going East.

Detroit has a huge impact on attendance in the West, but would have minimal impact in the East. They would be playing a lot of their road games in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal & Buffalo, where the seats are already full.

Also, motions need a 2/3 vote of confidence from the board to pass, so at least 20 votes are needed.

Edited by MacK_Attack

1. Penguins to Kansas City.

2. Detroit to Eastern Conference.

I would love to see the Wings in the East. However, I do not believe the NHL will ever allow that to happen. The wings are the big money winner in the west. The NHL and the other west teams count on the money that the Wings bring to thier markets. Look for them to move Columbus or even Nashville

The Western teams will vote to keep Detroit in the East, and most of the East teams really don't care all that much, so they will probably vote to with the other Western teams. It would be better for league economics to keep Detroit in the West, which is why it will be Columbus going East.

Detroit has a huge impact on attendance in the West, but would have minimal impact in the East. They would be playing a lot of their road games in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal & Buffalo, where the seats are already full.

Also, motions need a 2/3 vote of confidence from the board to pass, so at least 20 votes are needed.

uhh a few things wrong here.

1. Detroit is the number one drawing away team in the league. If the teams in the East like money, they will want more games against the Wings. Trust me, ever single team in the East will vote with Detroit.

2. Motions do need a 2/3rds vote, but in the case of Pittsburgh moving physically to the west the case becomes one in which it is not a motion. It is a necessary thing, it will be decided on a majority basis.

Even if it is not, then Columbus wouldn't get the 2/3rds because, like I said before and everyone should agree, people want the money Detroit brings.

3. The league does not want to make an enemy of the Illich family. If they step in the way of their seniority, it will mean war. The NHL is not on very firm ground for a power struggle.

4.hmm, Teams like Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto where seats are already full? You mean nothing like teams like Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, or Colorado. You know West teams where the seats are already sold.

Just like how Phoenix can charge extra for games against Detroit, so can teams like Tampa and Florida.

Edited by Majsheppard

uhh two things wrong here.

1. Detroit is the number one drawing away team in the league. If the teams in the East like money, they will want more games against the Wings. Trust me, ever single team in the East will vote with Detroit.

Yes, but unlike the West, the East has many teams that draw very well.

Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Rangers, Philadelphia already draw very well. It wouldn't mean much, if any, additional revenue for those teams. What would be the benefit?

Just like how Phoenix can charge extra for games against Detroit, so can teams like Tampa and Florida.

Tampa already sells out every game.

2. Motions do need a 2/3rds vote, but in the case of Pittsburgh moving physically to the west the case becomes one in which it is not a motion. It is a necessary thing, it will be decided on a majority basis.

Even if it is not, then Columbus wouldn't get the 2/3rds because, like I said before and everyone should agree, people want the money Detroit brings.

If 15 teams in the East vote for Detroit to move to the East because of Detroit being a good drawing away team wouldn't the teams in the West vote against Detroit for that very same reason? The West doesn't have draws like Crosby, Ovechkin, Toronto, Montreal, either.... methinks their would sooner be a majority vote for a Columbus move than Detroit...... :crazy:

That is, however, not taking into account seniority, ownership as you mentioned, and other possible factors.....