• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shadow47

Babs calls out Hasek...what gives?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

The dive was a bad idea. In my mind, goalies should be penalized for this.

In any event, you can be sure Hasek won't do it again. As we all know, he has a ferocious work ethic and incredibly high expectations for himself. I expect a massive game next time around, though admittedly he has played very well lately; I can't say the same for our D, especially Daniil I'm afraid.

I'm in full support of Babcock's move. When you're this close to the playoffs you need to get rid of those habits as early as possible. If that was a game 7 it would all be over.

Don't get me wrong, I also believe a big part of the reason we lost was because of how messy everyone else played- but you better believe they're going to get whats coming to them also; just in the form of a tough practice or two

Floppinator flops and lets in a goal. We lose.

Stop trying to draw penalties. Just play the game. If we score we win. I didn't care for all the penalties in the last couple, but what can you do? Trying to draw something is stoopid and wrong. And if you do get lucky enuf to draw one, well with our PP sucking beyond bellief, perhaps we're at a disadvantage since we're the best in the league

5 on 5 based on GF%. And based on that stat, and hopefully the whistles get a break in the playoffs, we win on stats (like we almost always do).

That wasn't a function of concentration, it was an error in judgement.

Hasek's play has been very good overal, but that's what can be so frustrating about Dom. He plays great, but can make a couple bad decisions that are easily avoidable that end up hurting the Wings.

So it's like he's really good at the hard part--making big saves, but occasionally flakes on the relatively easy part--Not wandering out of the net at the wrong time or taking a dive while the puck is in play.

And ironically, isn't that what most people use as justification for their dislike of Ozzie? He'll make big save after big save...and then let in a stinker. It happens to all goaltenders.

Dom made an error in judgment. A goal was scored as a result. The person that's probably the most pissed off about it...is Dom himself.

That said, Dom has to realize that the refs are rarely going to call such things in his favor, so embellishing - or we can just call a dive a dive - isn't going to help us. It's more than likely going to hurt us, either in the form of a goal against or a diving penalty against. Does that mean it should be open season on Dom for other teams? Hell no. But he needs to choose his battles.

Hasek is a great goalie, but not above making mistakes.

A person like Hasek always wants to be improving his game, being sharper, and learning a new trick or two to stay ahead of the competition. So, if there's critisism due him, I'm sure he will take it and realize that people who are good enough to improve will be critisized.

Just because he doesn't often make mistakes doesn't mean that he should be ABOVE any critisism.

Hasek didn't dive in the Van game to get a penalty...he was diving to make a save after he tried to stop the cycling by the Canucks after Detroit's defense proved ineffective at stopping it themselves. Here's an interesting tidbit from TSN...again fueling the "What is MB thinking?" philosophy.

per TSN.ca

There was a brief exchange between the coach and veteran goaltender during the second intermission when Babcock refused to let Hasek see the video replay afterwards, but apparently there were no harsh words exchanged.

I don't know who Babcock thinks he is, but when you've got Dom Hasek wanting to look at a replay, why not let him? Someone has a slight power trip going on.

Babcock thinks he's the coach. :P

Dom's dealt with much worse egos than Mike's in his career, I wouldn't worry about their relationship. I don't think Dom dove either, he did get hit. I don't expect Babcock to admit that, either. If the coach expects Hasek to stop playing his game the way he plays it, then he may want to bench Dom for the rest of the season. People who know nothing about hockey probably DO think Hasek's apparent madness has no method to it. ;)

As for paying Dom to make the saves, he does his job and then some. And they are not paying him all that much, considering what they're getting in return. This whole thing is out of proportion, thanks to the media, but I guarantee you that the announcers at the game tonight will make a huge deal of it, and just to try and make the whole situation look even worse. It eludes me what they think they're getting out of this, aside from hearing themselves talk.

I do believe Hasek is professional enough to rise above this, at least. :thumbup:

And ironically, isn't that what most people use as justification for their dislike of Ozzie? He'll make big save after big save...and then let in a stinker. It happens to all goaltenders.

Dom made an error in judgment. A goal was scored as a result. The person that's probably the most pissed off about it...is Dom himself.

That said, Dom has to realize that the refs are rarely going to call such things in his favor, so embellishing - or we can just call a dive a dive - isn't going to help us. It's more than likely going to hurt us, either in the form of a goal against or a diving penalty against. Does that mean it should be open season on Dom for other teams? Hell no. But he needs to choose his battles.

There's a difference. Letting in a soft goal isn't really an error in judgement. The goalie just didn't make the save.

I'm not really bashing Hasek. I think he's played great for the team this year and gives us a chance to win anytime he's in net.

But he can be so damn frustrating when he does something like that, because he's so good otherwise.

Like you said, he needs to choose his battles. Or more specifically, pick his spots.

it wasn't hasek's fault we lost the game. the team as a whole has been playing like lang.
Agreed. It wasn't Dom's fault that the offense only scored two goals west of the Mississippi in the last week.

The dive was a bad idea. In my mind, goalies should be penalized for this.

Good point... and ultimately, he did pay the biggest price... intentionally diving while letting in the GWG.

I do feel that had Calgary not scored, a penalty should have still been called... which was not the case as far as i could tell.

Guest Crymson

I'm in full support of Babcock's move. When you're this close to the playoffs you need to get rid of those habits as early as possible. If that was a game 7 it would all be over.

Don't get me wrong, I also believe a big part of the reason we lost was because of how messy everyone else played- but you better believe they're going to get whats coming to them also; just in the form of a tough practice or two

True; the entire team played a horrible game. They beat us at our own puck-possession style.

If the coach expects Hasek to stop playing his game the way he plays it, then he may want to bench Dom for the rest of the season.

Heh, typical. Another Hasek is a victim and the league is out to get him attitude.

Where did you get out of all of this that Babcock wants to get him to change his game? Babcock just wants Hasek to stop diving and giving up those weak goals.

Diving and embellishing penalties are not part of his game.

Guest Crymson

Floppinator flops and lets in a goal. We lose.

Stop trying to draw penalties. Just play the game. If we score we win. I didn't care for all the penalties in the last couple, but what can you do? Trying to draw something is stoopid and wrong. And if you do get lucky enuf to draw one, well with our PP sucking beyond bellief, perhaps we're at a disadvantage since we're the best in the league

5 on 5 based on GF%. And based on that stat, and hopefully the whistles get a break in the playoffs, we win on stats (like we almost always do).

Our power play has been bad for the last two games. In the several games before that, it was roaring. I don't exactly know what you're talking about, as such. Nice attempt to massively generalize in your drive toward a black and white, negative conclusion.

In the end, Hasek isn't perfect. This is naturally true. However, he's a whole lot less imperfect than almost every other goalie out there, and that's what counts. I daresay we could say the same thing about Osgood.

Quote from my girlfriend who knows NOTHING about hockey,"Why is that goalie guy always wondering out of his net

and falling all over the place"

:D EXACTLY what my girlfriend has said numerous times. I try to explain that's his renegade style, she doesn't get it. As much as she says she doesn't like hockey, she's literally screaming at Dom to get back in his net! :D

Heh, typical. Another Hasek is a victim and the league is out to get him attitude.

Where did you get out of all of this that Babcock wants to get him to change his game? Babcock just wants Hasek to stop diving and giving up those weak goals.

Diving and embellishing penalties are not part of his game.

"Goals"? Pretty sure this is the one time this year that his dives have resulted in a goal against. Usually there's an opposing player headed to the box. For that reason alone he shouldn't stop diving, since no other player in the league will.

"Goals"? Pretty sure this is the one time this year that his dives have resulted in a goal against. Usually there's an opposing player headed to the box. For that reason alone he shouldn't stop diving, since no other player in the league will.

It's been more than once, Babcock wouldn't blast him in the papers for a one time thing.

It's been more than once, Babcock wouldn't blast him in the papers for a one time thing.

Only once have his dives resulted directly in a goal being scored...that's why I'm saying he's overreacting. Hasek has dove plenty this year but many of those have resulted in Wings PPs and others have just been no-calls, with Dom getting one or two diving penalties. I've watched every game and I have a good memory. Had it not been a game-winning goal, I suspect he wouldn't have said anything. But he might've kept his trap shut nonetheless when the Wings are better off for the dives than without.

Edited by shadow47

I don't think Dom dove either, he did get hit.

Even you can't honestly believe that. Sure, he got "touched" but if something like that causes you to fall like that, then do you really have the adequate balance to be a professional athlete?

I would say the ratio of goals Dom has "caused" versus the ones he's saved when his team-mates screw up is enormously in favor of the saves, to say the least. So, IMO the over-reaction and Babcock's decision to call Hasek out on this one instance was a poor one, in retrospect. Granted, the press had a field day with it and perhaps Mike didn't expect that -- but he should have known better. Maybe he did, and this is the backlash he wanted? Who knows?

Just my opinion, but I dislike coaches who air their grievances with players to the media, just as I dislike players who do the same. I can forgive Mike for this one lapse in judgement, as I haven't really seen this tendency in him. Too bad, if people aren't willing to do the same for Hasek considering he's been a rock for Detroit this season, against all odds. If he's going to call out one player, whether from frustration or whatever, he needs to do it with everyone who screws up on the team. It's because it's Hasek that this is such a big deal.

Hasek willl be fine, by the way. And nothing about his game will change, thankfully.

edit... I can't spell today.

Edited by puckloo39

Even you can't honestly believe that. Sure, he got "touched" but if something like that causes you to fall like that, then do you really have the adequate balance to be a professional athlete?

I agree, it was a dive and a bad idea at the time, just trying to do too much. Really no reason to bring it up in the press still, MB knows they have a field day with quotes like this.

No it isn't

sure it is. If Babcock called out Lang or Lilja, for instance, on a particularly bad turnover which caused a GWG, no one would pay any attention. They do it all the time. Hasek makes one mistake and it's front page news in every outlet. The bigger you are, the more people want to see you fail. Human nature, I guess.

Yes. Diving is a part of the game. But you've got to be smart about it and manage your risks. Diving when you could potentially lose the game for your team is probably not a good management of risks. That's why Babcock said something, whether it appears like that or not.

Players get called out by there coaches all the time, I usually makes a player step up there game a little. I'm in full support of babs on this one, Hasek has been known to do some dumb things at times such as diving, koncking the net off its moorings on purpose, leaving the net and getting trapped and having to give the puck to the other team.

way to go babs! :clap: