• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cicada

Hartigan to the KHL

Rate this topic

Lol,foreigners automatically get Latvian names over there?

Why in God's name?

It's the same way we have to transliterate names here. For example, not writing the umlauts above certain letters in Swedish names.... same basic idea. It makes things 'correct' for the native language.

Lol,foreigners automatically get Latvian names over there?

Why in God's name?

not necessarily. this may just be a change dictated by language rules,

which most likely takes place if this is the case of declination of nouns :)

and Latvian actually has declination of nouns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language#Grammar

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Dang, Really liked Hartigan, Minus his playoff penalties. .He really brought alot to the squad, kinda was hoping he wasback in GR

This business of players jumping to leagues overseas is getting on my freaking nerves. It's only going to get worse from now on.

You really think a 4th line player, at best, going to Europe is bad for the league? I agree for star players going there it's dumb. Because the stars will get good money no matter what. do they really need 12mil instead of 7-9? But Hartigan should stay here, probably be in the minors for most teams, and get under $100k? Good luck Mark.

You really think a 4th line player, at best, going to Europe is bad for the league? I agree for star players going there it's dumb. Because the stars will get good money no matter what. do they really need 12mil instead of 7-9? But Hartigan should stay here, probably be in the minors for most teams, and get under $100k? Good luck Mark.

Role players are important to every NHL team. Many good role players have jumped overseas, which in my mind is the start of a bad trend. Eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if better players start going overseas, especially if the money is going to be thrown at them so easily.

With Hartigan's luck you can pretty much write up Latvia to win in the KHL.

He's won the Stanley Cup the past two years.

I was going to say something to the effect of, "Well, I guess we know who's winning the Cup next year..."

Role players are important to every NHL team. Many good role players have jumped overseas, which in my mind is the start of a bad trend. Eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if better players start going overseas, especially if the money is going to be thrown at them so easily.

The career borderline AHL/NHL guys will be highly tempted to go overseas (Europe or KHL) --> They can earn a couple hundred thousand dollars per year vs. $80k or so in the States.

Implication to the NHL is the AHL teams will start to get a lot younger, and your 4th line guys in the NHL will probably include a lot more prospects or bonafied NHL vets in the twilight of their careers, vs. roleplayer guys like MaClean, Ellis and Hartigan.

The KHL will not be able to overpay for more than a few legit NHL stars a year (or even regular starters, for that matter). The revenues do not even come close to supporting such contracts, so it is more marketing than anything else.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Damn this talent drain is really getting out of hand. I can't wait for comparable players like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk to go back to their homeland :rolleyes:

I didn't really like him anyway, tbh.

How dare you insult a LEGEND, like Hartigan. For god sakes, I'd almost recognize him if he was next to me in line for a movie

Yeah, it's only cool if they are jumping to come over here!

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, however there is a big difference between leaving to go to play with the best in the world and leaving to go get paid more.

I don't blame a guy who is going to be a career 4th liner/ahler for going to get paid more to play more minutes than he would in the nhl, he will pretty much be playing in the AHL but making more money.

Guest mindfly

Wonder why wings didn't sign him? The games I saw where he played he was more than good, scored etc... I think he could outplay Maltby/Samuelsson etc...

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, however there is a big difference between leaving to go to play with the best in the world and leaving to go get paid more.

I don't blame a guy who is going to be a career 4th liner/ahler for going to get paid more to play more minutes than he would in the nhl, he will pretty much be playing in the AHL but making more money.

Not only will he be paid more, he'll play more.

Imagine that- getting more money to do more of what you love!

Speaking of name changes, what about the fact that Americans are too lazy to pronounce foreign names correctly and consequently change names.

Dag Hammarskjold, a former Secretary General of the United Nations, whose name is pronounced Hammarskyold, became Hammarshield

Salah-e-din, the Kurd who drove the Christians out of the Holy Land, became Saladin, et. al.

Or, better than that, an island with many birch trees which the French called Bois Blanc (white wood) became Bob-Lo Island; how about de troit (deh trwah, [city] of the straits) becoming Deetroit (I mean Detroit)

Sorry for not sticking to a hockey response!

Guest mindfly

When russian letters are translated to english system it becomes screwed up as well..

It's not acutally "Fedorov" it's "Fjodorof" pronounced more like Fjådoroff

Datsyuk is actually Datsjyk or something if i remember correct hmm

Edited by mindfly