• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
djt813

Congrats, Pittsburgh... hope next time you have to earn it!

Rate this topic

Game 7 Pittsburgh 1st goal - offside play, as documented by NHL hired national broadcast crew.

Game 7 Pittsburgh 2nd goal - one minute after horrific Hal Gill interference on dump in, not surprisingly not called.

Detroit goal, well, no ref help on that one.

Real score: Detroit 1, Pittsburgh 0, NHL League office/Refs/Gary Bettman 2. Sorry to see the league goals are chalked up on the Pitt side!

Hate to be a bitter, homer fan, but the reality is that sometimes that is justified by the circumstances!

Game 7 Pittsburgh 1st goal - offside play, as documented by NHL hired national broadcast crew.

Game 7 Pittsburgh 2nd goal - one minute after horrific Hal Gill interference on dump in, not surprisingly not called.

Real score: Detroit 1, Pittsburgh 0, NHL League office/Refs/Gary Bettman 2. Sorry to see the league goals are chalked up on the Pitt side!

Hate to be a bitter, homer fan, but the reality is that sometimes that is justified by the circumstances!

I have had as much of a case against the refs as anyone else here, but tonight just wasn't going to be the Wings night either way.

That's what happens if you don't play until you're down 2-0.

The last 2 games they did not play anywhere near how they played in game 5. Give PIT credit for their gameplan but how could they NOT call the interference when Ozzie was sent into the goal when just the other day Z got called and he was puched into MAF?

If we had scored a PP goal it is a WHOLE different game!

In the end it doesn't matter, all that counts is the final score. Lets move on with our lives and look towards next season.

Sadly you are right, only the score will be remember, not whether it was earned... and that just hurts more I think.

Remember game 3, we suffer 30 seconds of 6 on 5 play, refs see it & don't bother calling, then have the audacity to call us for a penalty 1 min later upon which Pit scores tying goal. Then call us for a weak interference in 3rd per for the same thing Hal Gill did all series long, upon which Pit scores winning goal. And Malkin racks up 3 assists in a game he rightfully should have been suspended from playing.

Makes you wonder why so many things have gone Pitt's way in this series????

What happened to "it all balances out in a series"????

Yes bitter, not letting it go, but also not gonna give Pitt more credit than they are due. They wanted it and cashed in on opportunities, but more often handed the opportunities by zebras than by our mistakes - with the obvious exception of our game 4 meltdown.

Maybe if we score more than 1 goal a frickin game we would have won...

Refs aren't the reason we lost.

Refs aren't the ONLY reason, but they definitely rank up there amongst the reasons...

There were a lot of bad calls this series and things like Malkin playing great in a game he shouldn't have been allowed to play that are really frustrating to deal with after you lose, but the fact is that you have to overcome adversity to win. We had two chances to close them out and win the Cup and we got out played. We couldn't score a powerplay goal. We turned the puck over. We just didn't play good enough to win and that's all it comes down to.

Who was the better team this series? Detroit or Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh.

Quit the excuses.

Not really, they were good enough to win with the breaks, but we were good enough to have earned the win otherwise... it's not whining to point out very obvious calls leading directly to their win. We were the better team tonight, Fleury played amazing, and we got no bounces. They capitalized on plays that never should have happened according to the rules. So yes, kudos for them for burying the puck, but shame on the refs for playing such a gross hand in the outcome.

Edited by djt813

I think rather than blame the loss tonight on the officials, and yes the obvious icing call that led to the Pens first goal was brutal, it'd be more fair to say the officiating throughout the ENTIRE playoffs was poor and inconsistent.

The Wings got screwed out of a goal according to some in the Anaheim series although the rule on that is somewhat clear. Anaheim fans think they got dicked on Cleary's series winning goal. I saw calls in other series that were stunning in their lack of consistency. One night holding up or even bumping a guy going after a shoot in was a 2 minute interference call, the next game it wasn't. It wouldn't have mattered in the outcome but Pittsburgh should have been awarded an automatic goal for a holding call while heading towards an empty net earlier in the series. The first Penguins goal in game three was offsides. One night across the NHL everything was called, the next night we were back to rodeo. Carcillo gets a game suspension for instigating in one series, Malkin has his waived in another.

I think the officiating was poor this year, something I don't normally say. For whatever reason, it wasn't the caliber of officiating world class players deserve. Linesmen were particularly lacking.

But to say the Penguins didn't earn it is wrong and poor sportsmanship. They did earn it. They made the most of the breaks they were given. Something, in the end the Red Wings didn't do, Staal's call tonight was a joke, the Wings could have made hay in that 4 on 4. They didn't. Pittsburgh did just enough to win a one goal game 7.

Hopefully for the players and fans sake, the league will take a hard look at the officiating's consistency and the linesmen's blown calls and if necessary rotate the worst ones out. Refereeing or being a linesman in the NHL is a privilege, not a right.

I think rather than blame the loss tonight on the officials, and yes the obvious icing call that led to the Pens first goal was brutal, it'd be more fair to say the officiating throughout the ENTIRE playoffs was poor and inconsistent.

The Wings got screwed out of a goal according to some in the Anaheim series although the rule on that is somewhat clear. Anaheim fans think they got dicked on Cleary's series winning goal. I saw calls in other series that were stunning in their lack of consistency. One night holding up or even bumping a guy going after a shoot in was a 2 minute interference call, the next game it wasn't. It wouldn't have mattered in the outcome but Pittsburgh should have been awarded an automatic goal for a holding call while heading towards an empty net earlier in the series. The first Penguins goal in game three was offsides. One night across the NHL everything was called, the next night we were back to rodeo. Carcillo gets a game suspension for instigating in one series, Malkin has his waived in another.

I think the officiating was poor this year, something I don't normally say. For whatever reason, it wasn't the caliber of officiating world class players deserve. Linesmen were particularly lacking.

But to say the Penguins didn't earn it is wrong and poor sportsmanship. They did earn it. They made the most of the breaks they were given. Something, in the end the Red Wings didn't do, Staal's call tonight was a joke, the Wings could have made hay in that 4 on 4. They didn't. Pittsburgh did just enough to win a one goal game 7.

Hopefully for the players and fans sake, the league will take a hard look at the officiating's consistency and the linesmen's blown calls and if necessary rotate the worst ones out. Refereeing or being a linesman in the NHL is a privilege, not a right.

Absolutely, agreed the Pens capitalized on what they were handed. But to say that is justified cause for awarding the Cup, as compared to earning it without calls to capitalize on, seems a bit of a joke?

Yes, agree Pens should have been awarded a goal for Wings hold with an empty net, but don't recall that non-call having changed the outcome of the game??? Hard to compare that "injustice" with those that actually factored in changing the outcome of a game...

And finally, I am not happy about previous rounds officiating. The Hossa goal call was ridiculous, as was Anaheim's PP game winner on an "interference" call on Stuart when Drew Miller obviously played the puck. And Kronwall's "5 min major interference & game misconduct" for which I have never heard one person, including Bettman, even agree it deserved a minor penalty call. The ref'ing was crap, we normally can overcome it, and apparently couldn't this year. We need more hunger and perhaps more rest. Still appreciate our boys effort, just wish they got a fair shake...

Edited by djt813

Not really, they were good enough to win with the breaks, but we were good enough to have earned the win otherwise... it's not whining to point out very obvious calls leading directly to their win. We were the better team tonight, Fleury played amazing, and we got no bounces. They capitalized on plays that never should have happened according to the rules. So yes, kudos for them for burying the puck, but shame on the refs for playing such a gross hand in the outcome.

Zetteberg smothered the puck in the crease in game 1 when the outcome was still in doubt. Funny you didn't mention that eh? The breaks went both ways in this series - maybe Pittsburgh's way a little more but not by much. We had more power plays in this game then they did.

We were very fortunate that we won the first two games this series to start with. Then Pitts won 4 of 5. Gotta tip your hat and drop the bs excuses wether their warranted or not.

Why try to make this about the refs? It was a great series with both teams having their chances to take it.

My hat's off to the Wings and all of you fans. You have an amazing coach and a great team. The last 2 years of SCF have been great to see as a hockey fan! Our recent teams are only even up now with their wins.. let's hope for a best of 3 rematch next year guys!

A series has never been played where a fan couldn't say things like this. If we had've won, some Pens fan would be saying the same s***. Pittsburgh was better. End of story.

Zetteberg smothered the puck in the crease in game 1 when the outcome was still in doubt. Funny you didn't mention that eh? The breaks went both ways in this series - maybe Pittsburgh's way a little more but not by much. We had more power plays in this game then they did.

We were very fortunate that we won the first two games this series to start with. Then Pitts won 4 of 5. Gotta tip your hat and drop the bs excuses wether their warranted or not.

I have yet to see the rule book state that he can't cover the puck on the goalie's back. No one could come up with a solid case against that. And the game 2 "cover" was not on camera, but quite possibly shuffling the puck under Osgood which is not a penalty.

Can't say as I agree that the calls were just barely in Pitt's favor.

That said, yes, we did not win games 1 & 2 by that much. Do tip my hat to their grit and desire, just wish the cards weren't stacked against us a bit more than is fair in a series.

A series has never been played where a fan couldn't say things like this. If we had've won, some Pens fan would be saying the same s***. Pittsburgh was better. End of story.

I welcome any Pittsburgh apologist to come up with anywhere near the number of shafts we got, especially those leading to goals...

I have yet to see the rule book state that he can't cover the puck on the goalie's back. No one could come up with a solid case against that. And the game 2 "cover" was not on camera, but quite possibly shuffling the puck under Osgood which is not a penalty.

Can't say as I agree that the calls were just barely in Pitt's favor.

That said, yes, we did not win games 1 & 2 by that much. Do tip my hat to their grit and desire, just wish the cards weren't stacked against us a bit more than is fair in a series.

The crease goes upward towards the cross bar. He smothered the puck on Ozzie's back which is a penalty shot. Not to mention all the posts the Pens hit in game 2, but i guess we just won by luck, right? ;)

Exactly, the officiating is getting downright disgraceful. To say it is inconsistent is a gross understatement. After all the league's talk about how a penalty is penalty whether it be in the regular season or the playoffs is completely tossed out the window, and add to that the 2 ref system has almost as many flaws as the old one ref way- case in point, in game 6 Z is robbed by Fleury in close, then Staal pushes him into Fleury- the ref close by makes the correct no-call b/c it's obvious Staal pushed Z into Fleury, let's play on, right? No, b/c the d-bag at center ice decides from his piss-poor vantage point that Hank must've run Fleury and puts him in the box. And that's just one of many, many moronic calls typical throughout the entire season both regular and playoffs.

The crease goes upward towards the cross bar. He smothered the puck on Ozzie's back which is a penalty shot. Not to mention all the posts the Pens hit in game 2, but i guess we just won by luck, right? ;)

Yeah, we got the breaks in game 1 & 2. Still haven't seen the rule about covering on the goalie's back, regardless of the vertical level of the crease. But how many posts did we hit in game 6 & 7. MAF came up huge and stopped just enough to help his team out.

We didn't win just by skill and them just by luck. But we definitely did get the short end of completely unarguably blown calls. I just wish our guys played up to their potential and it didn't matter... then no one could keep us off Lord Stanley's Cup this year.

I welcome any Pittsburgh apologist to come up with anywhere near the number of shafts we got, especially those leading to goals...

Suppose you're right. Let's just say the Red Wings got screwed over worse than any team in the history of professional sports playing for a title.

What are you going to do about it? Complain about it? Are you going to walk around still claiming the Wings are champions? Screaming about it changes nothing.