#1561 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

MacGruber

Grade: D+

It had it's moments, but definitly not worth the $6.50 admission price. This is a pretty good indicator of why SNL movies were on a 10-year hiatus, until this year.

#1562 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Get Him to the Greek

Best comedy of the year so far; go see it!

#1563 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

A-Team. Saw it last night.

Violence. Wit. Comedy. Beautiful. My kinda movie, worth seeing!!!!

#1564 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Posted Image

solid

Posted Image

#1565 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,951 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Just watched Goodfellas for the first time. Brilliant gangster film, very very violent.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1566 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:19 AM

Inception.

Ho. Lee. JUMPIN'. This movie was an absolute trip to the far edges of thought and back, and what a ride it is.

Leonardo DiCaprio plays a kind of thief known as an "extractor". He doesn't steal artwork or anything physical, it's ideas, secrets and information that he steals, and he does it through the dream world. By entering his target's mind while asleep, he is able to find a person's deepest secrets and steal them away.

Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Memento) wrote and directed this film, and you really can feel his fingerprints all over this one. It's dark, ethereal, and completely mesmerizing, all of which is bound together perfectly by the music, composed by Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Pirates of the Caribbean).

If you've seen the trailer, you've no doubt seen some of the phenomenal special effects, and that could be what hooked you in to wanting to see this movie. So, yes, the special effects are absolutely amazing. But what I find more amazing than the effects alone is the fact that they are *perfectly* implemented. While this is a movie with fantastic big budget effects, it really keeps the mood and feel of a smaller release thriller rather than an over the top "popcorn flick". IMO, they manage to perfectly walk the line where the effects are used only to compliment the story instead of the other way around. For an example, think of the differences in the use of special effects from the first three Star Wars movies (built to compliment and support the movie's plot) as opposed to the last three movies (where the plot is built to compliment and support the special effects). For a movie that takes place in the dream world, the effects feel perfectly "dream-like", in that they're both very real and yet very unreal. Absolutely the best use of special effects that I've seen in a long, long time.

If you've seen Memento, then Inception will have a familiar feel to it. In that, there are several sequences where you just don't know if you can trust what's going on, and there will be times where you will feel a bit lost in the story line. The beginning of the movie is very much like this, but if you pay attention, it will all be revealed as the movie goes along.

There's a fair amount of violence, like gunshots and explosions, though there is practically no gore shown. One person gets shot in the head, and you do see the wound, but it's not all gorey-and-exploded, it's really no worse than you would see from a big hit in a hockey game. Another character gets shot, and you see a shirt get bloody a few times, and he later coughs and you see blood, but that's really about it. For a movie with as many gunshots and explosions as this one ends up having, it's surprisingly gore-free.

The cast worked well together, and if you've seen any of Nolan's previous work, you'll see more than a handful of familiar faces. I doubt you'll see any Academy Award nominations for any of the cast members, but they certainly did a great job in this movie.

A fair word of warning, however. This movie is a tad long, clocking in at just under 2 1/2 hours. To me, it did not feel long at all. Some critics (the professional ones, who usually are dead wrong about movies anyway) will say that it is too long, but to me I think it was perfect. Looking back at the movie, I don't really see how you could cut much out without losing integral pieces of the plot.

If you like a movie that really makes you think, and completely draws you in, then go see this movie. It was a brilliant movie, and I absolutely cannot wait to go back and see it again.

A+. Best movie I've seen this year.

burnnotice2.png
Covert Ops has its perks. You travel, make your own hours, and expense most of your meals.
The downside? Lots of people want you dead...

#1567 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

MacGruber

Grade: D+

It had it's moments, but definitly not worth the $6.50 admission price. This is a pretty good indicator of why SNL movies were on a 10-year hiatus, until this year.

F- isn't low enough for that movie.

Seriously, for anyone considering going to see it, just set a ten dollar bill on fire. You'll save an hour and a half of your life and be more entertained.

#1568 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Just watched Goodfellas for the first time. Brilliant gangster film, very very violent.

Welcome to 1990! :D
*this space for rent*

#1569 VladyIBELIEVE16

VladyIBELIEVE16

Your Red Wings Nation West President

• HoF Booster
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Toy Story 3 (3D)

A+
This film was incredible. It's a nice wrap up on the TS series. It definitely gives you the full realm of feelings too. Be prepared to laugh and cry. Also the film short Night & Day at the beginning was absolutely adorable! Go see it!!! :)
Don't worry about losing. If it's right, it happens. The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away. Steinbeck
Dance is nothing until it's on a beautiful body - Wade Robson
What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
In life as in the dance: Grace glides on blistered feet. - Alice Abrams

#1570 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Inception...

A fair word of warning, however. This movie is a tad long, clocking in at just under 2 1/2 hours. To me, it did not feel long at all. Some critics (the professional ones, who usually are dead wrong about movies anyway) will say that it is too long, but to me I think it was perfect. Looking back at the movie, I don't really see how you could cut much out without losing integral pieces of the plot.

If you like a movie that really makes you think, and completely draws you in, then go see this movie. It was a brilliant movie, and I absolutely cannot wait to go back and see it again.

A+. Best movie I've seen this year.

This movie was GREAT!! It's hard to compare it to the best movie I've seen because it's so unique. It wasn't that hard to follow, they did a good job of explaining it. It's definitely not a movie that insults your intelligence with stupid situations to advance the plot, everything fits together perfectly. Some people thought it was too long, but I wanted it longer! I loved it and didn't want it to end. I can't think of 1 thing I didn't like about the movie.

A+++
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#1571 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

There's an excellent interpretation of Inception here: http://chud.com/arti...TION/Page1.html
Its a pretty good analysis of film, I think.

#1572 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

There's an excellent interpretation of Inception here: http://chud.com/arti...TION/Page1.html
Its a pretty good analysis of film, I think.

I disagree with him.
Spoiler

Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#1573 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

I disagree with him.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1574 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1575 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Echolalia, 23 July 2010 - 06:44 AM.

#1576 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1577 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

I went and saw 'The Town' last night.

Ben Affleck and the rest of the cast was pretty solid. I love bank robbery story lines. It was well worth the money!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#1578 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

The Town: A well-made crime thriller that makes you feel the palpable tension and care about it's characters. Well worth the price of admission.

The Social Network: Right up there as one of the best movies of the year (although I still like Inception better). The pacing is superb, the cast shines, and I couldn't help but be swept up in it all. Go see it!

Edited by Cruiser008, 04 October 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#1579 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

The Expendables

im terrible when it comes to movie reviews so all i can really say is
A+ if you like lots of action
this had lots of it!

#1580 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan