• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (RyanBarnes! @ May 30, 2005 - 12:56PM)
QUOTE (eva unit zero @ April 30, 2005 - 08:35PM)
QUOTE (Seth @ April 1, 2005 - 10:37PM)
QUOTE (Icer @ February 8, 2005 - 11:17AM)
I think it's a little early to hand Howard the starting goalie spot. There's been a lot of studs like Rick Dipietro and Ryan Miller that came out of college who haven't exactly taken the NHL by storm.

I'd like to see him play in the AHL. If he can dominate for a season or two there, then he gets his shot at the bigs.

uh Dipietro kinda has bub. He's been doing pretty damn good for backstopping such a sh*thole team.

And Miller hasn't really been given much of a shot....more of head games.

They've treated him as the "you'll be the starter soon" on one hand and "you're third string, get back in the minors" on the other.

But the way Miller's playing in the AHL this year...they don't really have much of a choice when the NHL comes back.

Goalies need time to adapt. The Islanders have been taking it slow with DiPietro and so should the Red Wings with Howard. Most top prospect goalies will need at least 4-5 seasons before they pan out. Look at Theodore, Thibault and Giguere for example.

lol@Thibault....

Thibault has yet to pan out laugh.gif
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#42 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,924 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ May 31, 2005 - 01:52AM)
I think it's a little early to hand Howard the starting goalie spot. There's been a lot of studs like Rick Dipietro and Ryan Miller that came out of college who haven't exactly taken the NHL by storm.

I'd like to see him play in the AHL. If he can dominate for a season or two there, then he gets his shot at the bigs.

uh Dipietro kinda has bub. He's been doing pretty damn good for backstopping such a sh*thole team.

They've treated him as the "you'll be the starter soon" on one hand and "you're third string, get back in the minors" on the other.

But the way Miller's playing in the AHL this year...they don't really have much of a choice when the NHL comes back.

Goalies need time to adapt. The Islanders have been taking it slow with DiPietro and so should the Red Wings with Howard. Most top prospect goalies will need at least 4-5 seasons before they pan out. Look at Theodore, Thibault and Giguere for example.

lol@Thibault....

Look beyond his stats for a minute. He's a good goalie on a poor team.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#43 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (RyanBarnes! @ May 31, 2005 - 03:35AM)

lol@Thibault....

The following are the fourteen best goalies currently on the non-playoff teams from 2004.

Roberto Luongo
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Roman Cechmanek
Dwayne Roloson
Marc Denis
Jamie McLennan
Martin Gerber
Martin Biron
Ryan Miller
Kevin Weekes
Brian Boucher
Manny Fernandez
Kari Lehtonen
Mathieu Garon

#44 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,924 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ May 31, 2005 - 04:35AM)

lol@Thibault....

The following are the fourteen best goalies currently on the non-playoff teams from 2004.

Roberto Luongo
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Roman Cechmanek
Dwayne Roloson
Marc Denis
Jamie McLennan
Martin Gerber
Martin Biron
Ryan Miller
Kevin Weekes
Brian Boucher
Manny Fernandez
Kari Lehtonen
Mathieu Garon

According to what criteria? Lehtonen, Miller, Gerber and Garon are yet to prove themselves as starting goalies. What have Weekes, Chechmanek, McLennan and Boucher done? Their stats are comparable to Thibaults. Especially when considering Chicago has one of the worst defenses in the league.

#45 ColdWarrior

ColdWarrior

USAF Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:40 PM

lol@Thibault....

Roberto Luongo
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Roman Cechmanek
Dwayne Roloson
Marc Denis
Jamie McLennan
Martin Gerber
Martin Biron
Ryan Miller
Kevin Weekes
Brian Boucher
Manny Fernandez
Kari Lehtonen
Mathieu Garon

Only one I'd REALLY want off that list is Luongo.

#46 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (RyanBarnes! @ May 31, 2005 - 09:48AM)

lol@Thibault....

Roberto Luongo
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Roman Cechmanek
Dwayne Roloson
Marc Denis
Jamie McLennan
Martin Gerber
Martin Biron
Ryan Miller
Kevin Weekes
Brian Boucher
Manny Fernandez
Kari Lehtonen
Mathieu Garon

According to what criteria? Lehtonen, Miller, Gerber and Garon are yet to prove themselves as starting goalies. What have Weekes, Chechmanek, McLennan and Boucher done? Their stats are comparable to Thibaults. Especially when considering Chicago has one of the worst defenses in the league.

Only once has Cechmanek's save percentage been under .920. Only once has his GAA been over 2.05

His career numbers are 2.08 and .919

Thibault has never hit either of those marks in any SINGLE SEASON.

Cechmanek is WAY better than Thibault. He had a bit of a down year (for him) last season. But his GAA two seasons ago was 1.83.

Weekes' numbers are a bit closer to Thibault. But Thibault's teams have been significantly better. Weekes' teams have only made the playoffs once in seven seasons, where Thibault's teams have gone 5 of ten seasons. This is due more to the offense than anything, but as we know, a good offense does take pressure off the goalie.

Also, the list was about what goalies were better. Not who was the better starter.

Just because some teams go two deep with guys more skilled than Thibault doesn't mean they have proven themselves as starters.

Hell, I don't think there's much argument on here that Legace is better than Thibault, but he hasn't really proven himself as a starter.

#47 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:24 PM

Only once has Cechmanek's save percentage been under .920. Only once has his GAA been over 2.05

Cechmanek is WAY better than Thibault. He had a bit of a down year (for him) last season. But his GAA two seasons ago was 1.83.

Weekes' numbers are a bit closer to Thibault. But Thibault's teams have been significantly better. Weekes' teams have only made the playoffs once in seven seasons, where Thibault's teams have gone 5 of ten seasons. This is due more to the offense than anything, but as we know, a good offense does take pressure off the goalie.

Also, the list was about what goalies were better. Not who was the better starter.

Just because some teams go two deep with guys more skilled than Thibault doesn't mean they have proven themselves as starters.

Hell, I don't think there's much argument on here that Legace is better than Thibault, but he hasn't really proven himself as a starter.

Thibault isn't nearly as bad as your are making him out to be. While Cechmanek's numbers are better, he was on a way better team longer than Thibault. What happened when he moved to LA? And if you want to judge by numbers, Lethonen's numbers are easily the best, but he's played 4 NHL games. And Boucher is better than Thibault??? I have no idea what you based your list on. Skill? How do you know Miller is better than Thibault? He has only played in the AHL. You said Thibault has yet to pan out, yet was on the 2002-03 all-star team.

#48 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ June 1, 2005 - 02:24PM)

Thibault isn't nearly as bad as your are making him out to be. While Cechmanek's numbers are better, he was on a way better team longer than Thibault. What happened when he moved to LA? And if you want to judge by numbers, Lethonen's numbers are easily the best, but he's played 4 NHL games. And Boucher is better than Thibault??? I have no idea what you based your list on. Skill? How do you know Miller is better than Thibault? He has only played in the AHL. You said Thibault has yet to pan out, yet was on the 2002-03 all-star team.

I'd trade Legace for Thibault in a heartbeat.

#49 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

I'd trade Legace for Thibault in a heartbeat.

You and me both.