• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cruiser008

Detroit Pistons (and NBA) Playoff Thread

Rate this topic

Well the regular season is over. I figured it would be appropriate to start a separate thread for the playoffs, since the subtitle for the other thread doesn't really fit anymore, and the playoffs ARE a whole new ball-game.

The Pistons will take on the Sixers in the 1st round, personally I think this is a good matchup for the 'stons since AI will be out to prove something against Larry Brown, but on the other hand LB may know AI's tendencies. Also Philly isn't very big up front, and AI aside the Pistons have the edge at every other position.

Prediction: Pistons in 5

I'm glad we didn't play Indiana or New Jersey, despite the fact we would have won either way. The Sixers don't have depth, if Iverson fails, so does his team. Every other match-up suits Detroit, and Webber hasn't really looked comfortable in Philly.

Detroit in 5

Miami-NJ: NJ (4-3)

Chicago-Washington: Chicago (4-2)

Boston-Indy: Boston (4-3)

Detroit-Philly: (4-1)

----------------------------------

NJ-Chicago: NJ (4-3)

Detroit-Boston: Detroit (4-2)

Detroit-NJ: Detroit (4-2)

Yea I think NJ is going to upset Miami and here is why they will, or how I think they should do it: The fast break, if JKidd and VC can get a fast paced game going and get Shaq running up and down the court, on his bruised thigh, they will simply wear him down and the Heat will have to rely on Wade. And if Richard Jefferson can be somewhat effective it will only add to the beating of the bandwaggon extradionare the Miami Heat. Only going to do the EC right now, WC will be coming later. If Detroit plays up to their capability getting to the Finals should be rather easy for them. Only team I see posing a threat to them are the Spurs, lot of talk going around that Dallas is going to be the dark horse and beat them.

Edited by dallas27

Go to espn.com, click nba, you will see state-by-state results, this is where the awesome part is. Only Michigan has Detroit winning the championship, how freaking sweet is that? Hmmmmmm, same slow start as last year, same record as last year, same disrespect as last year, see any repetitiveness? Now is the time to shove another trophy in everyones face.

76ers are probably the easiest 1st round matchup so we definitely lucked out!!! thumbup.gif

However, they're still dangerous. They've been one of the hottest teams of late (aside from us, of course). Iverson is always dangerous. And they do have enough size to play big if they want to...Webber, Dalembert, and Jackson. The odds are certainly stacked WAY against Philly, but there's no doubt that Iverson is the type of player than can carry a team on his back.

I still don't see the Nets beating the Heat. I don't think the Heat will be able to run or break on the Heat. They have not shown the ability to do that against good defensive teams with good frontcour defenders. Course, I will say this though...of the 4 EC matchups, they have the best chance for an upset. Whoever wins the Miami/New Jersey series will meet us in the EC finals, IMHO.

Should be REAL interesting playoffs...

I still don't see the Nets beating the Heat. I don't think the Heat will be able to run or break on the Heat. They have not shown the ability to do that against good defensive teams with good frontcour defenders. Course, I will say this though...of the 4 EC matchups, they have the best chance for an upset. Whoever wins the Miami/New Jersey series will meet us in the EC finals, IMHO.

Should be REAL interesting playoffs...

Gotta fix your sentence there JohnO, I know you meant "I don't think the Nets will be able..." but it says Heat. Miami isn't that good of a defensive team, and Mourning is over-hyped. Shaq might not play in the first game, NJ HAS to jump on that, and just get the big guy moving. Even if Shaq is at 75% he still is going to get the job done, gotta keep him moving on that thigh.

Yea I think NJ is going to upset Miami and here is why they will, or how I think they should do it: The fast break, if JKidd and VC can get a fast paced game going and get Shaq running up and down the court, on his bruised thigh, they will simply wear him down and the Heat will have to rely on Wade. And if Richard Jefferson can be somewhat effective it will only add to the beating of the bandwaggon extradionare the Miami Heat. Only going to do the EC right now, WC will be coming later. If Detroit plays up to their capability getting to the Finals should be rather easy for them. Only team I see posing a threat to them are the Spurs, lot of talk going around that Dallas is going to be the dark horse and beat them.

Dwayne Wade s***s all over your NJ upset theory in a heartbeat. Dude's a superstar and will not be contained by Jason Kidd's aging knees. Jefferson is coming in at less than 100% and Vince Carter hasn't proven himself to be a playoff competitor, to say the least.

Also, who do the Nets have to bang down low? Scalabrine? Ridiculous. Even a lumbering Shaq will be coasting through this business.

Yea I think NJ is going to upset Miami and here is why they will, or how I think they should do it:  The fast break, if JKidd and VC can get a fast paced game going and get Shaq running up and down the court, on his bruised thigh, they will simply wear him down and the Heat will have to rely on Wade.  And if Richard Jefferson can be somewhat effective it will only add to the beating of the bandwaggon extradionare the Miami Heat.  Only going to do the EC right now, WC will be coming later.  If Detroit plays up to their capability getting to the Finals should be rather easy for them.  Only team I see posing a threat to them are the Spurs, lot of talk going around that Dallas is going to be the dark horse and beat them.

Dwayne Wade s***s all over your NJ upset theory in a heartbeat. Dude's a superstar and will not be contained by Jason Kidd's aging knees. Jefferson is coming in at less than 100% and Vince Carter hasn't proven himself to be a playoff competitor, to say the least.

Also, who do the Nets have to bang down low? Scalabrine? Ridiculous. Even a lumbering Shaq will be coasting through this business.

Ooohhhhhh, forgive me all-knowing Rampage_Winger. I apologize on behalf of my pea-size brain which does not compare to yours. I never will be as good as you and you surely let me know that.

I look forward to the Pistons "upsetting" your Spurs, that's if of course they get through Dallas. But Dallas sucks too don't they? Just like every other team that isn't the San Antonio Spurs.

Edited by dallas27

If Tim Duncan is healthy the Spurs win it all. If not then the Pistons or Heat win it all. Tim Duncan is THE best baller in the NBA. I like the Pistons chances but there is a ton of ball to still be played.

If Tim Duncan is healthy the Spurs win it all. If not then the Pistons or Heat win it all. Tim Duncan is THE best baller in the NBA. I like the Pistons chances but there is a ton of ball to still be played.

No way Tim Duncan is the only thing stopping the Pistons. If any team is going to beat them is because they're going to have to have the better overall team since the Pistons are about the deepest team in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm way off...but...

I think whoever comes out of the west might have a tougher time in the finals. The west is just so tight and just about every matchup is a toss up...much parity. The Pistons have a relatively easy first round (*knock on wood*)...and with a little luck might have a relatively easy second round. In the west, I see it as every team having to fight tooth and nail every round. the west champ might a bit more worn down by the finals.

I could be wrong...maybe the east will be a dog fight too...or maybe someone in the west will emerge and just coast to the finals...

I think this playoffs will be real fun!

Ooohhhhhh, forgive me all-knowing Rampage_Winger. I apologize on behalf of my pea-size brain which does not compare to yours. I never will be as good as you and you surely let me know that.

I look forward to the Pistons "upsetting" your Spurs, that's if of course they get through Dallas. But Dallas sucks too don't they? Just like every other team that isn't the San Antonio Spurs.

Don't believe I mentioned the Spurs, though, hm? wink.gif But dude, this whole "everyone is against the Pistons" persecution complex is a bit much, ya think? I mean, the state-by-state fan poll is hardly indicative of anything. Most people in the press consider Detroit in the top 4 of a very even field of contenders and you can be assured that everyone in the NBA is gunning for them, too. A considerable difference to last year where they were supposed to be the carpet over which the Lakers dynasty would trample en route to a fourth title.

I just thought your Jersey-upsetting-Miami idea was full of holes, namely that Dwayne Wade wouldn't step up (see: 2004 Round 1 when he made a name for himself) and that New Jersey would be able to match Shaq, which I think is a stretch.

And now that you mention it, the team I am most concerned about is Dallas! I can't see how Phoenix, who was dead last in the league in points allowed per game, could advance to the finals with their defensive schemes. Dallas has nearly all the firepower and are now playing tight D for the first time in...well, ever. Scary s**t.

No way Tim Duncan is the only thing stopping the Pistons. If any team is going to beat them is because they're going to have to have the better overall team since the Pistons are about the deepest team in the playoffs.

Depth counts in the postseason. But look at the teams in it, only the Pistons and Spurs can lay claim to titles as a team. The Lakers are out and MJ is long since retired. Shaq and Wade are good, but I dont know that those 2 alone can beat the Pistons when Wade has mad major foul trouble v Detroit.

The West is difficult because teams like Phoenix can run you, or get run off the floor. I like the Spurs because they have the experience and the right mix. Now with the injuries they have they need to get their team chemistry back on track and right now thats where Denver looks real strong. I've been a huge Tim Duncan fan since he played at Wake Forest. He is the most fundamentally sound player in the league and he is a major difference maker. He is the difference between the Spurs being a playoff team and a team like the Lakers on the outside looking in.

Duncan has all facets of the game, shooting, rebounding, defense and he's not selfish. Only thing questionable is his free throw shooting.

The Pistons should be the favorites going into the playoffs IMO. They are the defending champs and my philosophy is that you can win a championship without going through the defending champs first

Looking forward to a great playoff season, with some of the most evenly matched series we've seen in a long time. There is no obvious favorite, just some really good, well matched teams.

The Pistons should not have too much trouble with the Sixers. I'm glad we avoided an Indiana-Detroit series in the first round. The teams could easily meet in round two, but I would rather avoid that scenario altogether. Too much attention from the media on non-basketball related s**t and not enough on the games.

I like the Heat over the Nets, but I think the Nets will be a tough first round opponent. Except for Shaq, the Heat are new to being the team with the bullseye on them in a playoff series. It will be interesting to see how the Joneses (Eddie and Damon) and Haslem handle it. The Nets have some tested playoff veterans. In the end, though, the team with Shaq should prevail.

In the West, it's wide open. San Antonio and Phoenix are both favorites, with wildly contrasting styles. If Duncan is healthy, I like the Spurs. If not, Phoenix is going to be tough to stop. Most fast break teams struggle in the playoffs, but most fast break teams don't have all five guys who can run and shoot like the Suns, not to mention a low post threat or two. Stoudemire can post up and run like hell. We've never seen that before on teams like Dallas or Sacramento that fell short in the playoffs.

Dallas and Denver are both good teams, too. Don't think the Nuggets will survive round one, though. San Antonio is too tough.

Not a whole lot to say for me. I'm not totally counting out the Sixers just yet, but I feel quite confident in the Pistons defeating them. I'm predicting 4-1.

As for all this talk about the Heat-Nets series...IMO, the Heat will take it to them. The Nets are going to have Jefferson back, but who knows how effective he'll be considering he won't be 100%...

I just thought your Jersey-upsetting-Miami idea was full of holes, namely that Dwayne Wade wouldn't step up (see: 2004 Round 1 when he made a name for himself) and that New Jersey would be able to match Shaq, which I think is a stretch.

I don't know what you are talking about becuase I didn't say either of those two things. Of course nobody will match up with Shaq on New Jersey, I simply stated that they have to make the big guy run on his "bruised thigh" and take advantage of the first game assuming he doesn't play.

Wade is a freak as well, I think Shaq is a whole ton better off with Wade rather than Kobe.

I don't know what you are talking about becuase I didn't say either of those two things. Of course nobody will match up with Shaq on New Jersey, I simply stated that they have to make the big guy run on his "bruised thigh" and take advantage of the first game assuming he doesn't play.

Wade is a freak as well, I think Shaq is a whole ton better off with Wade rather than Kobe.

Hm, re: Wade I was responding to:

the Heat will have to rely on Wade

Since you were picking the Nets, that seems to imply that he wouldn't step up enough to put the Heat over the top.

And with regard to Shaq's bruised thigh, yeah, that's gonna be interesting to see how Miami sets the tone that first game without him.

Rookie Carlos Delfino has told reporters in his native Argentina that he is done with Larry Brown and done with the Pistons.

"They used me, they treated me like trash," Delfino said in an English translation of the stories posted on FIBA.com. "They should transfer me or cut me. From this place, I have the worst memories of my career, and I want to go back home. For this guy (Brown), I will not play anymore. And I don't want to stay here."

The Pistons think Delfino has the potential to be a good player and would love to see what he can do with a full season. In other words, they may not be done with him.

Interesting article. He has basically been nothing but trouble the entire season. I think he did show some promise though, and I hope we persist with him.

Detroit versus Philly, not long to go now........

He has an enourmous amount of potential, too bad he feels that way though, it's his own fault. How does he figure they used him lol? He was out for 90% of the season. I used to stick up for Delfino but after this I'm not quite sure, he's just being a little baby about this.

Boy are the refs trying to keep philly in this game. Iverson's new name is TI for Traveling Iverson....sooooo many travels it's ridiculous. They messed up Tayshauns block and counted Webers basket that hit the shot clock and that's just a few of the bad calls. Horrible. I have a feeling it's going to be like this for the Pistons though, Stern does not want to superstarless Final matchup (SA and Det)....

I have a feeling it's going to be like this for the Pistons though, Stern does not want to superstarless Final matchup (SA and Det)....

not to mention the league is trying to making harder and harder for teams to play defense! the NBA does NOT like teams like detroit and san antonio! die stern die! you die and go to hell!!!!