• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cruiser008

Detroit Pistons (and NBA) Playoff Thread

Rate this topic

i hope i'm wrong. but i'd take that bet in a heartbeat. you've got one team that thinks they can't be beaten and one team with their backs against the wall going home to one of the more vocal crowds in the league. the pistons are due for a letdown.

this is the post i was referring to.

Billups saved the team in the 4th...then Sheed hit that huge 3 at then end... Ugly win, but a win non-the-less. The thing that gets me...all the fouls were on Detroit...The officials were cleary homers.

That's because the NBA doesn't like no-name champions.

They don't want the big name who led the team to the championship to be Chauncey Billups or Rip Hamilton, because they aren't star power.

And it certainly can't be Rasheed Wallace, he's an a**hole.

And because they're more defensive players, it wasn't Big Ben or Tayshaun.

Maybe if McDyess was a starter, we would have someone the league could tolerate leading us to the championship? laugh.gif

Look, the Pistons learned from last year against the Bucks or some other team, they went up 2-0 and I think it ended up going 6 or 7 games, just as they learned from last year when they came out flat in the second game.  Look what happened the other night.  The Pistons will not let down and they will not lose.  The ONLY way Philly will win is if Iverson drops 55 points, and to do that he will have to take about 60-70 shots.

a little off target. i don't see why you think the pistons are different than they were a year ago. they have the EXACT same tendancies as last year and they did the same things all season long. once the team gets on a roll, they will play a sloppy game and won't do the little things that make them a great team. once their intensity level drops, their defense isn't quite as good, which leads to a team scoring 113 points. it's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last time either. the pistons could play the hawks or any other horrible team in a 7 game series and they wouldn't sweep them. i still think they will win it all, though.

Edited by therock48880

I'm glad that the Pistons won. I am truely impressed with Tayshaun. You could see him limping for quite a while, but yet, he still continued the playoffs. And I know some of you will give me grief and say "But that's his job - he gets paid to do that" and I know that, but he looked to be in somewhat of a lot of pain. So, hats off to him for staying him for a while.

The Pistons mounted a pretty nice comeback to send it to OT. Glad to see they came out on top. Let's hope they can wrap it in Detroit!

Oh, and one more note: Rasheed was very impressive in the OT!! He nailed some important 3-pointers. Keep it up!

Way to go, Pistons

I'm glad that the Pistons won. I am truely impressed with Tayshaun. You could see him limping for quite a while, but yet, he still continued the playoffs. And I know some of you will give me grief and say "But that's his job - he gets paid to do that" and I know that, but he looked to be in somewhat of a lot of pain. So, hats off to him for staying him for a while.

The Pistons mounted a pretty nice comeback to send it to OT. Glad to see they came out on top. Let's hope they can wrap it in Detroit!

Oh, and one more note: Rasheed was very impressive in the OT!! He nailed some important 3-pointers. Keep it up!

Way to go, Pistons

And before they do say "that's his job, he gets paid to do that" I'm gonna say this:

If you get injured during the course of your job, do you just sit there and keep plugging away?

a little off target.  i don't see why you think the pistons are different than they were a year ago.  they have the EXACT same tendancies as last year and they did the same things all season long.  once the team gets on a roll, they will play a sloppy game and won't do the little things that make them a great team.  once their intensity level drops, their defense isn't quite as good, which leads to a team scoring 113 points.  it's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last time either.  the pistons could play the hawks or any other horrible team in a 7 game series and they wouldn't sweep them.  i still think they will win it all, though.

They aren't any different? So they aren't more mature, Tayshaun and crew aren't any better, and they don't know what it takes to win a championship?

Want to know where 115 points came from? The 76ers were 55% from 3 point land the whole game (11 of 20) and 55% fg% the whole game, something crazy like 15-18 in the fourth quarter. Now what they were the fourth game? 42% FG and 34% 3 point land.

Find it odd that two other people thought those refs were homers? The officiating was simply horrendous plain and simple, and this game wasn't the first, nor will it be the last. I don't mind a few bad calls AND missed calls here and there but this game was unacceptable.

Conspiracy theory? I can add more to it if you want. Why would everyone make such a big deal about KG, Kobe, and Lebron not being in the playoffs? Maybe becuase they bring in ratings? Now you look at the Pistons and people don't see any superstars (although I see five) and in turn won't bring in ratings. There were many discussions on PTI, around the horn, and 1st and 10 on whether or not the abscence of those three would be good for the NBA. But if Shaq was in the finals....

It doesn't help that Stern does not like the Pistons style of Basketball, although he doesn't say it outright he does imply it. He wants the NBA to be like the Phoenix Suns style, just run and gun crap and no D.

A little off target huh? Right....

*EDIT* Wade is a freak and it's only his second year...I still think they don't have the depth to take out the Pistons, they would just wear down Shaq and Wade, especially Wade considering he would have to guard Rip. That series would go 7 games though, and Miami has home court adv.

Edited by dallas27

They aren't any different? So they aren't more mature, Tayshaun and crew aren't any better, and they don't know what it takes to win a championship?

Want to know where 115 points came from? The 76ers were 55% from 3 point land the whole game (11 of 20) and 55% fg% the whole game, something crazy like 15-18 in the fourth quarter. Now what they were the fourth game? 42% FG and 34% 3 point land.

Find it odd that two other people thought those refs were homers? The officiating was simply horrendous plain and simple, and this game wasn't the first, nor will it be the last. I don't mind a few bad calls AND missed calls here and there but this game was unacceptable.

Conspiracy theory? I can add more to it if you want. Why would everyone make such a big deal about KG, Kobe, and Lebron not being in the playoffs? Maybe becuase they bring in ratings? Now you look at the Pistons and people don't see any superstars (although I see five) and in turn won't bring in ratings. There were many discussions on PTI, around the horn, and 1st and 10 on whether or not the abscence of those three would be good for the NBA. But if Shaq was in the finals....

It doesn't help that Stern does not like the Pistons style of Basketball, although he doesn't say it outright he does imply it. He wants the NBA to be like the Phoenix Suns style, just run and gun crap and no D.

A little off target huh? Right....

*EDIT* Wade is a freak and it's only his second year...I still think they don't have the depth to take out the Pistons, they would just wear down Shaq and Wade, especially Wade considering he would have to guard Rip. That series would go 7 games though, and Miami has home court adv.

First of all, I said the team has the same TENDANCIES as last year. Meaning that they have letdown games and will never sweep a team as a result. I never said they aren't any different. Of course it's a different team; it's a different year. If you want to argue with me and prove me wrong about something, it would be helpful if you actually responded to what I said.

Secondly, yes, almost every single thing you said in that post I was referring to was wrong. So, yup, I would call that a "little off target." In case you don't remember what quote I was referring to, here it is.

"Look what happened the other night. The Pistons will not let down and they will not lose. The ONLY way Philly will win is if Iverson drops 55 points, and to do that he will have to take about 60-70 shots."

That's the quote I was talking about when I said you were a little off target. How can you argue with me saying that was a little off target?

In terms of the officiating, I said it was a poorly officiated game with more of the calls going against the Pistons than the 76ers. However, I don't think that means there is a huge conspiracy against the Pistons. There were some that were outright ridiculous. However, I have noticed that the home team usually gets the benefit of the doubt.

Your point about the 115 points is exactly what my point was. The 76er's shot the lights out in game 3. Part of the reason is that the Pistons didn't have the same intensity that they had in the first two games. Granted Philly hit some tough shots, but there were also quite a few more open looks than in the first two. That's what I was referring to when I said they had the same tendancies as last year and thanks for proving my point.

Real quick: I was watching the Heat/Nets game today and it seemed like the Nets really started to mount a comeback, however, I didn't see the entire game. So, did Nets actually end up winning one? Or did they get swept?

Thanks!

Real quick: I was watching the Heat/Nets game today and it seemed like the Nets really started to mount a comeback, however, I didn't see the entire game. So, did Nets actually end up winning one? Or did they get swept?

Thanks!

Heat won. Nets are going to be dismantled...Kidd will be traded for Delfino after the playoffs and will stock the defending champion Pistons' bench.

TheRock--

grammar lesson--"i don't see why you think the pistons are different than they were a year ago. they have the EXACT same tendancies as last year and they did the same things all season long." That period signifies a new thought, a new sentence, so you did say they have the same team and the same tendancies. Next time use a comma instead of a period. It would be helpful if you can form proper sentences.

And no my point about 115 points was not backing up yours, you simply stated (the "point you were referring to") that the Pistons lowered their intensity, you made no mention of the 76ers shooting lights out. The Pistons lowering their intensity does not affect whether or not the ball goes in the basket.

On another note, I guess the Philly announcer was screaming out Six-ers Bas-ket-ball so Sheed went over to him and told him to knock it off...

The Pistons got lucky that dude tightened up on the free throw line or they lose that game. I cant tell you how difficult it is to lose sight of the clock, the score, the crowd and the season behind you when you're at that line in the playoffs. I've been there and cashed in and been there and tanked like dude did. His legs locked up on that shot

TheRock--

grammar lesson--"i don't see why you think the pistons are different than they were a year ago. they have the EXACT same tendancies as last year and they did the same things all season long." That period signifies a new thought, a new sentence, so you did say they have the same team and the same tendancies. Next time use a comma instead of a period. It would be helpful if you can form proper sentences.

And no my point about 115 points was not backing up yours, you simply stated (the "point you were referring to") that the Pistons lowered their intensity, you made no mention of the 76ers shooting lights out. The Pistons lowering their intensity does not affect whether or not the ball goes in the basket.

On another note, I guess the Philly announcer was screaming out Six-ers Bas-ket-ball so Sheed went over to him and told him to knock it off...

yawn. this is old. just admit you were wrong and move on. it's ok to be wrong every now and then.

grammar lesson:

a paragraph is a combination of sentences dealing with the same topic. the topic i was referring to was that the pistons have the same tendancies (letting up every now and then) that they had last year. if you want to dispute that, you show your ignorance.

i greatly appreciate your grammar lesson there. since i have only been an english teacher for the last 11 years, i am sure there is much that you can teach me about grammar. rolleyes.gif

another quick point. this is a message board where people often don't use correct grammar. this is called "informal" writing. as you have probably noticed, since you are so grammatically sound, i don't even use capital letters. there is a form of written language developing known as "internet writing" where writers ignore common grammar rules in an effort to speed their typing.

back to basketball. the pistons will continue to have letdowns when they feel they are in complete control of a series and they will not do the little things that make them a great team. if you want to dispute that, then go right ahead.

p.s. is it not easier for a team to "shoot lights out" when they aren't defended as well? isn't defense all about intensity? see where i'm going here?

TheRock--

grammar lesson--"i don't see why you think the pistons are different than they were a year ago.  they have the EXACT same tendancies as last year and they did the same things all season long."  That period signifies a new thought, a new sentence, so you did say they have the same team and the same tendancies.  Next time use a comma instead of a period.  It would be helpful if you can form proper sentences.

And no my point about 115 points was not backing up yours, you simply stated (the "point you were referring to") that the Pistons lowered their intensity, you made no mention of the 76ers shooting lights out.  The Pistons lowering their intensity does not affect whether or not the ball goes in the basket.

yawn. this is old. just admit you were wrong and move on. it's ok to be wrong every now and then.

grammar lesson:

a paragraph is a combination of sentences dealing with the same topic. the topic i was referring to was that the pistons have the same tendancies (letting up every now and then) that they had last year. if you want to dispute that, you show your ignorance.

i greatly appreciate your grammar lesson there. since i have only been an english teacher for the last 11 years, i am sure there is much that you can teach me about grammar. rolleyes.gif

another quick point. this is a message board where people often don't use correct grammar. this is called "informal" writing. as you have probably noticed, since you are so grammatically sound, i don't even use capital letters. there is a form of written language developing known as "internet writing" where writers ignore common grammar rules in an effort to speed their typing.

back to basketball. the pistons will continue to have letdowns when they feel they are in complete control of a series and they will not do the little things that make them a great team. if you want to dispute that, then go right ahead.

p.s. is it not easier for a team to "shoot lights out" when they aren't defended as well? isn't defense all about intensity? see where i'm going here?

thumbup.gif u have a point.

TheRock--

The Sixers did shoot the lights out, but at the same time, it was because Detroit let them. Even though it seemed like whatever Detroit did, their was nothing to stop the unreal shooting that game, Detroit's defense sucked. It's sucked the whole series. The Pistons lowering their intensity does indeed affect whether or not the ball goes in the basket. Did you notice how many of their shots were clear shots with no one covering them!? Detroit needed to get a hand or two in the Sixers eyes, or play tighter defense and not allow clear shots like that. It happened again in game 4. The Pistons did not deserve to win that game. Chauncey and Sheed woke up in the 4th quarter and started making shots. Chauncey has been playing terrible the last few games. He's un noticable. Sheed, he lets his mouth take control of his playing. Rip, he makes his shots but, he turnsover the ball too much and he cannot keep up with A.I. on the defensive side. Arroyo, he needs to wake up, he's absolutely sucking. Lastly, I want to see Dupree and Campbell a little bit more. They should be playing more.

Who would you rather face in the second round, Indy or Boston?

tough call. indy worries me a little bit but man that would be so sweet to see those two teams meet in the playoffs after everything that happened this year. i guess i pick indy.

Who would you rather face in the second round, Indy or Boston?

Boston easily. The Pistons match up better with them (e.g. Prince on Pierce, Sheed on Walker and Billups on Payton (Billups would destroy Payton)). Also the Celtics are less physical.

Boston easily. The Pistons match up better with them (e.g. Prince on Pierce, Sheed on Walker and Billups on Payton (Billups would destroy Payton)). Also the Celtics are less physical.

Very well said, Cruiser! thumbup.gif

Looks like the Pistons will face the Pacers in round two. The Celtics could still pull the series out, but Indy is too well coached and too playoff tested to blow this, IMO.

I wanted Boston, because they'll take less physical toll on Detroit, but you get what you get. Indy will make this a tough series. They have lots of motivating factors, what with the brawl, the rivalry from last season's playoffs, the retirement of Reggie. But Detroit is a better team and should win the series. Should be exciting.