29 replies to this topic

#21 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Muse @ May 6, 2005 - 04:13PM)
Aw, what does it hurt for someone to ask ya for money? The couple people I've talked to who were panhandling in the Campus Martius area seemed to be just as polite, if not moreso, than people asking for spare change in any other major city I've been in. And in the dozen or so trips I've had walking around the area, I've only been approached two or three times total. That is a LOT less than you get asked in many cities.

The last time I was at Campus Martius (staring at the blank wall which used to have Stevie's mural sad.gif ), someone politely asked me if I had any change, and I didn't... but I offered the man part of my dinner, and he was very polite and thankful in accepting it. I lived in other major cities, and I can't tell you how many times I offered people food, and they said "no" (or something a bit more rude, but to that effect) because they didn't want to eat, they wanted to drink.

I just don't want Jack to think he's gonna get mugged just by setting foot in Detroit. Too many people have a very unrealistic expectation of our city, thinking it is just one big murder after another. Detroit has many of the same issues you find in any major city. Yes, there are people who are homeless and panhandling. Yes, there are abandoned buildings. Yes, there are a lot of good people and a lot of fun things to do.

Damn you all are making it sound like I should go out and buy a 9mm! laugh.gif

Maybe I should vacation in the Antarctic to be safer. unsure.gif

Nah, I got to come up to hockey country at least once. It's pretty much got my schedule worked out to come up sometime in early November. smile.gif

#22 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Muse @ May 6, 2005 - 05:13PM)
I just don't want Jack to think he's gonna get mugged just by setting foot in Detroit. Too many people have a very unrealistic expectation of our city, thinking it is just one big murder after another. Detroit has many of the same issues you find in any major city. Yes, there are people who are homeless and panhandling. Yes, there are abandoned buildings. Yes, there are a lot of good people and a lot of fun things to do.

I think that's a good way of putting it. Detroit has the same problems every major city has in terms of crime, mugging, homeless, etc. The city just has a worse rap than a lot of places. Most of it is probably deserved, but Detroit is really making an effort to turn itself around.

Like being in any other big city, just use common sense about where you go.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#23 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:31 AM

Is it too cold to play golf up there by early November cause I'd like to try to get a round or two in if I could. Are there any decent public courses that are affordable where I could pay at most $30-$40 for green fees, or should I just keep dreaming about that?

#24 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ May 7, 2005 - 09:31AM)
Is it too cold to play golf up there by early November cause I'd like to try to get a round or two in if I could. Are there any decent public courses that are affordable where I could pay at most $30-$40 for green fees, or should I just keep dreaming about that?

OMG Jack. I'm gonna have to send you a travel package. Inside, you will find a clue.

You won't be golfing up here unless you come before the first week of October. Unless you don't mind just practicing your drives in an inflated golf dome.
laugh.gif

You're more likely to skate instead of golf in November.

P.S. Detroit is a fine city. You'd have no worries of crime any more than you would in any other major city. I've lived in a few, and I know what I'm talking about.
There's no place like Hockeytown.

#25 Lidstrom Rules

Lidstrom Rules

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Muse @ May 4, 2005 - 07:44PM)
QUOTE (Lidstrom Rules @ May 4, 2005 - 11:25AM)
QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ May 3, 2005 - 11:03PM)

I'm also thinking I'd rent a car in Detroit and drive around the sights in Detroit

ya, those abondoned sky scrapers are a sight to see.

Hey. Don't be dissin' Hockeytown. mad.gif There are plenty of great things to do and see in Detroit.

Sorry, not really meaning disrespect it was just kind of strange to me, speaking as someone living in a major city, (Chicago) to see abondoned buildings and that whole kinda ghost town feeling I got there. Granted my time in Detroit proper was around the Joe and Hockeytown Cafe. I stayed with friends in Farmington Hills when I was there. Sure there are places in Chicago that are rundown but it just seems to be neighborhoods on the southside here rather than downtown and a lot of that has to do with the riots back in '68. That's a whole other story in and of itself.
ontariowingsfan is soooooooo my girl
I said, "Even though you know what you know, I know that I'm ready to leave 'cus you're making feel like I've never been born." ~John Lennon

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Muse @ May 7, 2005 - 10:53PM)
OMG Jack. I'm gonna have to send you a travel package. Inside, you will find a clue.

You won't be golfing up here unless you come before the first week of October. Unless you don't mind just practicing your drives in an inflated golf dome.
laugh.gif

You're more likely to skate instead of golf in November.

P.S. Detroit is a fine city. You'd have no worries of crime any more than you would in any other major city. I've lived in a few, and I know what I'm talking about.

This just proves how much I've been stuck down here for nearly 25 years. Furthest north I've ever been in the recent life is Memphis. laugh.gif

Ah well it ain't that bad, I like it down here. smile.gif

#27 Oddzilla51

Oddzilla51

Rookie

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

You'd definitely have fun in Royal Oak. Great place to eat and bar hop. Downtown Detroit has a few good places near Greek Town. Windsor has the ballet. biggrin.gif

Metro Airport is about 30-45 minutes outside of Detroit. Straight shot up I-94. From there you can get to anywhere in the 'burbs.

And Toronto is awesome. That's my favorite place to go. Not that I've been many places, mind you, but I just love that city.
I like chocolate!

#28 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:26 PM

Okie dokie folks...checking the latest flight info, still aways from special deals with my planned trip not until November. Cheapest flights I've gotten to and fro roundtrip is around $280. Should I just book it Dano and get it out of the way or wait around for offers?

#29 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ May 31, 2005 - 10:26PM)
Okie dokie folks...checking the latest flight info, still aways from special deals with my planned trip not until November. Cheapest flights I've gotten to and fro roundtrip is around $280. Should I just book it Dano and get it out of the way or wait around for offers?

I've never flown from Detroit to New Orleans, so I have no idea what a good fare is.

You might want to sign up for fare notifications on Travelocity. I think they will notify you when there is a fare sale between two specific cities.

#30 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Muse @ May 31, 2005 - 09:33PM)
I've never flown from Detroit to New Orleans, so I have no idea what a good fare is.

You might want to sign up for fare notifications on Travelocity. I think they will notify you when there is a fare sale between two specific cities.

Well crudders (all right note to myself never to say that word again laugh.gif), I completely forgot about Travelocity!

I've just been using Expedia and SideStep and Soutwest special deals. Expedia has kicked ass the most so far.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 31 May 2005 - 09:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users