#1 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

I've got a Compaq Presario R3000 that's having a problem:

Basically, the plug where the AC adapter plugs into the back of the laptop (the female receptor) is loose. Now, the cord itself seats into the plug just fine, but the plug assembly itself is loose.

This, in turn, prevents the laptop from getting a constant power supply and when the plug moves slightly, it goes off cord power and right to the battery.

Now, I took the cover of the laptop last night to see if I could fix it myself, but it appeared that in order to fix the plug assembly (which is a small box about half the size of a die) I'd have to take apart even more -- which I wasn't really willing to do.

The problem appears to be a broken solder joint (I can't directly see it, but an uneducated guess). The computer itself runs fine, just on battery power, though.

Here's a pic of the problem:

user posted image

Info on the laptop:

Compaq Presario R3000
s/n: CND40808RD
p/n: DS481U#ABA

Short vid (kind of blurry) of the problem: Click here for video explanation

Thanks!

#2 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

I personally don't have experience in computer repair Matt, but the place where I work, our network administrator is the man, I'll see sometime tomorrow if he has any insight. wink.gif

#3 tidysteve

tidysteve

Pimp of the Nation

• HoF Booster
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:21 PM

short term: wedge a piece of plastic up in the housing between it and the power receptor (ie shirtclip from bic pen)

long term: you will have to remove the housing and the larger piece of gray plastic and fix the broken solder

unfortunately until it is properly repaired you will be cursed with a wiggly power connector ... now, having said that you may find a way to jerry-rig the cord with tape so that any movement of the cord does not wiggle the receptor ...

hope this helps ...

Edited by tidysteve, 26 May 2005 - 09:21 PM.

here's my 10 cents my 2 cents is free

El TiDY's World

#4 The Captain

The Captain

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:00 AM

Same thing happened to my powerbook...i tripped over the power cord and it caused the solder joint to come undone...now it only holds cord power after I carefully finagle it in place--since I use it on battery power primarly, it hasn't been that big of an inconvenience...I"m guessing you'll need to take it further apart or take it into the shop.

#5 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:31 PM

I was guessing The Captain's reply would be "ditch it and get a Mac" LOL

TidySteve's answer sounds good to me. It's pretty easy to fix.

P.S. to the Captain... I just got my mom a Mac Mini for her birthday. Even she's blown away at how small it is.
Also, love your sig.

Edited by Muse, 27 May 2005 - 02:32 PM.

There's no place like Hockeytown.

#6 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

happened to my vaio, I sent it in and they repaired it for 100 bucks mad.gif
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#7 The Captain

The Captain

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

Am I that predictable? (Yeah, I know it.)

I haven't used the mini yet...but it's funny because on paper it's the size of a dessert plate, yet more powerful than my 2001 G4 Quicksilver Tower I made into a DVR

Here's a shocker...I just recently bought a Duhhh...duhhh Dell.

I already have 3 macs....4 if you include my 10 year old workstation 9650 (which still works great btw as an email browsing and storage machine).

The dell i got is the new Inspiron 9300 and it's got a 17" screen. The real estate on this bad boy is great, but it was super affordable compared to the 17" powerbook. I had a sweet coupon that saved me 40%.

The spyware and malware is out of control. It's really a shame, because while Windows is hardly OSX, it does do a few things better than OSX. For instance, loading pics from a digital camera is significantly faster on Windows than it is on my Macs. However, once you get the pics on the 'puter, that's where OSX shows its strength with enhancement etc.

Overall though, OSX is absolutely superior.

It's one thing to have to buy a security system for Windows because you want extra security, it's another thing to have to by a security system for Windows, because you want to use it.

That is, if you don't secure your PC, within an hour of surfing your computer WILL BE hijacked--and you likely won't know it.

www.grc.com will tell you how vulnerable your PC is
and housecall.trendmicro.com will scan your entire system for virus/security shortcomings--for free.

HijackThis
ZoneAlarm Security Suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Bazooka

These are all programs you can put to use on the PC. It's actually quite fun if you enjoy computers, to turn it into Fort Knox, but if you're like my dad, and like most people, you just want it to work...for these type of folks...you're misguided to get anything besides a mac.

In fact the CEO of Intel, suggests that if you want to take care of security...get a Mac.

#8 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

I have a question, and I may just be dumb, but I'm curious.

Are Macs genuinely that much better at security, or are they better simply because people make viruses for PCs since they are more popular, and so there aren't a lot of Mac viruses out there?
And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

#9 The Captain

The Captain

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (MSUDoubleJ19 @ May 27, 2005 - 11:07PM)
I have a question, and I may just be dumb, but I'm curious.

Are Macs genuinely that much better at security, or are they better simply because people make viruses for PCs since they are more popular, and so there aren't a lot of Mac viruses out there?

Basically Yes and Yes. There is absolute truth in the fact that since Apple has less then a 10% market capture, there aren't as many computers to infect, and the whole point of writing viruses, is to cause as much destruction as possible therby making it, not worthwhile to write malicious code for Macs..

Apple has never boasted of their more secure platform, because as Steve Jobs said yesterday, "it's not something to be cavalier about, it's a challange for everyone."

But all things considered, if there was an equal user base for both platforms...OSX is still more secure.

Macs are more secure inherantly because they don't put the burden of security on the user. They come secured out of the box, and operate in virtual stealth mode from the second you connect them to the internet. They require password protection for all installations of software. If you don't have the password, nothing gets installed. Whereas Windows requires a Security Suite if you would like to enjoy the internet...it requires additional expenses with yearly renewals, and eats up your time installing it, and system resources having it run in the background.

Windows is an older system, with much of its core built before the internet explosion--it's riddled with wholes and shortcomings that make it easy to penetrate into a users personal files, and information. Microsoft has tried to patch these, with numerous updates and a service pack, but they are still vulnerable and pose continuous problems for developers.

Windows isn't the only thing that insecure, so is Word, Excel, and Outlook. The convenience of the adapters available for a multitude of aftermarket programs which can be incorporated into these programs come at a price...more wholes for hackers to take advantage of.

Being insecure, though, does has its advantages...it keeps people working. IT departments wouldn't be as necessary if Windows was secure and Security software wouldn't be such a profitable industry if Windows was secure.

Nothing is perfect, but OSX is as good as it gets right now.

#10 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

Please don't derail. sad.gif

#11 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

Did you fix it yet?

It will probably only take about 15 minutes to permanently fix it, as long as you know how to solder. If you don't know how, you're better off paying someone to fix it for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users