• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cruiser008

Wimbledon

Rate this topic

Now that summer is here (and hockey and basketball are done) I usually turn my attention to tennis (and golf to an extent). Wimbledon is my favourite tennis event of the year, particularly since I like the serve-and-volley game.

Both defending champions (Federer and Sharapova) come in as favourites, with Serena, Davenport, Roddick and Hewitt not far behind.

Once again both French Open champions have crashed out early. There are few other sports where surface makes such a big difference.

I like watching the major tournaments with Wimbledon being my fave. I'd also rather watch women's tennis as it seems more competitive, more volleys, etc.

Men's tennis seems to be all about the aces = boring IMO.

It's gonna be hard to watch the U.S. Open with the blue courts = yuck!!

Pulling for Venus or Davenport - Venus is playing better, but I still think she has a ways to go to get back on track (really needs a professional coach - ditch the parents!).

On the men's side, hoping for a rematch of Federer-Roddick with Andy pulling it out this time..... I like watching Safin, but he got bounced early - very streaky player - Marat you need a haircut!

Hey Aussie wing - where is Alicia Molik -- she was fun at the Aussie open - I though we'd see more of her?

Also, any chance of Patrick Rafter making a comeback - he retired kind of early......

What can I say about Pat Rafter. He was extremely successful until the latter stages of his carrer where he struggled to overcome constant shoulder injuries. He often found himself suffering from severe cramps quite often.

He retired in 2002 and although there was constant talk about comebacks, he never returned. It's a shame because he really got Australian Tennis back on track, due to his two US Opens titles, Davis Cup glory and the fact that he was such as great guy. So unfortunately its very unlikely he will ever return.

Alicia Molik pulled out of Wimbledon after an inner-ear infection affected her balance. "The condition affects my balance, perception and vision, and I haven't been able to play my usual serve-and-volley game as a result" Molik said.

Hope that clears things up.

Pulling for Venus or Davenport - Venus is playing better, but I still think she has a ways to go to get back on track (really needs a professional coach - ditch the parents!).

On the men's side, hoping for a rematch of Federer-Roddick with Andy pulling it out this time.....

So far I'm doing pretty good - Venus OR Lindsay will win the title. I'm impressed with Venus' comeback - where has this kind of tennis been for her????

Federer in - no brainer. Roddick in a rain delay - I'm hoping he makes it to the finals.....Can he or anyone beat Federer? That dude is looking pretty invincible right now.....

I got up to watch today. Roger is a machine. I believe during last year's Wimbledon I made the analogy of Federer and Roddick to Lidstrom and Pronger. One silky smooth and nearly flawless and the other relies on brute force to great effect but not quite as reliable.

That analogy held true again today.

peace

I got up to watch today. Roger is a machine. I believe during last year's Wimbledon I made the analogy of Federer and Roddick to Lidstrom and Pronger. One silky smooth and nearly flawless and the other relies on brute force to great effect but not quite as reliable.

peace

Don't forget that one (#5) took the other one (#44) out on a stretcher in the playoffs once.

I got up to watch today.  Roger is a machine.  I believe during last year's Wimbledon I made the analogy of Federer and Roddick to Lidstrom and Pronger.  One silky smooth and nearly flawless and the other relies on brute force to great effect but not quite as reliable.

peace

Don't forget that one (#5) took the other one (#44) out on a stretcher in the playoffs once.

Twas Mironov, if you are referring to the slapper to the chest. Stevie took Pronger out once as well, but I don't think he left on a stretcher. Pronger is one for crazy injuries.

peace

Worst ladies final ever......

Really? I thought is was quite the match - 3 setter going into extra games at the end..... Many of the ladies' finals have been pretty one-sided - I wasn't sure who was going to win even when it was tied 6-6 in the third. Although Davenport does have the tendency to let down a bit towards the end of a match. Total powerball out there.

I'm heart-broken about Roddick sad.gif . Not that I didn't see it coming, but I thought he'd at least make a good match out of it this time. Federer has everything going for him - no 5-set matches, an extra day to rest... I think Roddick (and Hewitt) for that matter are both phenomenal players, there's just a big gap right now between #1 and everyone else.

I thought it would be a bad final. In my opinion it was one of the best ladies finals I can remember. Both played great, thought Davenport had it won on Championship point, but Venus just kept holding in there. Great match.

Federer too good.....

Really? I thought is was quite the match - 3 setter going into extra games at the end..... Many of the ladies' finals have been pretty one-sided - I wasn't sure who was going to win even when it was tied 6-6 in the third. Although Davenport does have the tendency to let down a bit towards the end of a match. Total powerball out there.

I'm heart-broken about Roddick sad.gif . Not that I didn't see it coming, but I thought he'd at least make a good match out of it this time. Federer has everything going for him - no 5-set matches, an extra day to rest... I think Roddick (and Hewitt) for that matter are both phenomenal players, there's just a big gap right now between #1 and everyone else.

I missed this thread, but I agree, that was a GREAT ladie's final. One of the best slam finals in awhile for the women. Especially after the lameness of the French women's final. I was rooting for Lindsay, and it looked like she was really in pain there towards the end. She put up a great fight though. I'm really gonna be rooting for her at the Open.

And Federer. Wow. That's all I can say about him. He amazes me. I love watching him play because he just has it ALL. Beautiful to watch.