• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Sting 11

Sting 11

Burn 'em down, Ryan!!

• Gold Booster
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ July 6, 2005 - 01:56AM)
4th of July has kicked ass! Chillin in Destin right now before bedtime, the Sandestin Hilton here is absolutely amazing, it literally has anything and everything for everybody.

Every year my dad's side of the family has a 4th of July get-together and all the dads/uncles and some of the younger gents (myself included) play golf most the trip in a tournament, and I won this year for the first time! I haven't won much in life so I was pretty stoked about winning it.

How is Destin doing recovering from Hurricane Ivan? Is there still apparent damage?

Destin is one of my favorite vacation spots anywhere, but it seems to attract hurricanes like trailer parks attract tornadoes. I certainly hope Dennis doesn't hit there, although the current forecast track doesn't look good.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#22 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Sting 11 @ July 6, 2005 - 07:20PM)
4th of July has kicked ass!  Chillin in Destin right now before bedtime, the Sandestin Hilton here is absolutely amazing, it literally has anything and everything for everybody.

Every year my dad's side of the family has a 4th of July get-together and all the dads/uncles and some of the younger gents (myself included) play golf most the trip in a tournament, and I won this year for the first time!  I haven't won much in life so I was pretty stoked about winning it.

How is Destin doing recovering from Hurricane Ivan? Is there still apparent damage?

Destin is one of my favorite vacation spots anywhere, but it seems to attract hurricanes like trailer parks attract tornadoes. I certainly hope Dennis doesn't hit there, although the current forecast track doesn't look good.

I'm surprised, I haven't seen much damage, although that could change soon with Hurricane Dennis looming. I wouldn't be surprised if my traveling gets extended and I have to evacuate from New Orleans in a few days. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, a lot of the high-tower condos along the beach are good, some are at full capacity, there are still some of the beachhouse that are still torn to pieces.

#23 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:53 AM

Went up north to visit family (north of Alpena). Spent the weekend enjoying the sun, the water and did a good amount of fishing. (And have the marks from leeches from stream-fishing for trout to prove it!)

#24 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Mattias19 @ July 7, 2005 - 10:53AM)
Went up north to visit family (north of Alpena). Spent the weekend enjoying the sun, the water and did a good amount of fishing. (And have the marks from leeches from stream-fishing for trout to prove it!)

Rogers City or Presque Isle ?

I was in Lewiston, Altanta and north of Hillman Saturday, I went up and came home all in the same day.

Folks also have 200 acres outside of Alpena that is right along the Thunder Day, decent bass fishing.

Edited by Rivalred, 07 July 2005 - 10:01 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#25 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ July 7, 2005 - 07:12AM)
4th of July has kicked ass!  Chillin in Destin right now before bedtime, the Sandestin Hilton here is absolutely amazing, it literally has anything and everything for everybody.

Every year my dad's side of the family has a 4th of July get-together and all the dads/uncles and some of the younger gents (myself included) play golf most the trip in a tournament, and I won this year for the first time!  I haven't won much in life so I was pretty stoked about winning it.

I'm surprised, I haven't seen much damage, although that could change soon with Hurricane Dennis looming. I wouldn't be surprised if my traveling gets extended and I have to evacuate from New Orleans in a few days. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, a lot of the high-tower condos along the beach are good, some are at full capacity, there are still some of the beachhouse that are still torn to pieces.

Also interesting that I forgot to mention in the previous post, for those who don't know there is a bay just east of Pensacola, I-10 goes over it for a few miles. That bridge got ripped good from Ivan last summer and parts of it still have temporary steel when I was driving home a few days ago.

I'm really on edge and nervous right now with Hurricane Dennis, I'm not planning to evacuate (yet) cause I think we'll be safe, but it just really sucks that it has a high probability of going back in the Florida Panhandle again.

I have no idea how I've been able to dodge bullets for the most part with storms down here for over 20 years.

#26 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Rivalred @ July 7, 2005 - 10:59AM)
Rogers City or Presque Isle ?...Folks also have 200 acres outside of Alpena that is right along the Thunder Day, decent bass fishing.

Neither. The wife's grandmother has a place on Long Lake up there. We usually go up there once or twice a year. The trout fishing we did was in the North Branch of the Thunder Bay River.

It was coooooooooold. The numbness getting out of the water helped in not feeling the scrapes I was getting hiking back to the lodge through the woods. wink.gif

#27 Sting 11

Sting 11

Burn 'em down, Ryan!!

• Gold Booster
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ July 8, 2005 - 08:46PM)

Also interesting that I forgot to mention in the previous post, for those who don't know there is a bay just east of Pensacola, I-10 goes over it for a few miles. That bridge got ripped good from Ivan last summer and parts of it still have temporary steel when I was driving home a few days ago.

I'm really on edge and nervous right now with Hurricane Dennis, I'm not planning to evacuate (yet) cause I think we'll be safe, but it just really sucks that it has a high probability of going back in the Florida Panhandle again.

I have no idea how I've been able to dodge bullets for the most part with storms down here for over 20 years.

I'm watching this and I'm just sick to my stomach. I can't believe those good people in that most beautiful area are getting it again...worse than Ivan. crybaby.gif

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#28 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Mattias19 @ July 9, 2005 - 05:39PM)
Neither. The wife's grandmother has a place on Long Lake up there. We usually go up there once or twice a year. The trout fishing we did was in the North Branch of the Thunder Bay River.

It was coooooooooold. The numbness getting out of the water helped in not feeling the scrapes I was getting hiking back to the lodge through the woods. wink.gif

I have never been to that Long Lake, the one there in Alpena County, there is another one near Hillman (Montmerency County), and another near Traverse City.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#29 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Sting 11 @ July 10, 2005 - 10:04AM)
QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ July 8, 2005 - 08:46PM)

I'm watching this and I'm just sick to my stomach. I can't believe those good people in that most beautiful area are getting it again...worse than Ivan. crybaby.gif

I know, it's just really depressing and these things take an emotional toll on you, even if you are spared a direct hit. I was a pretty nervous wreck up until yesterday.

It's pretty much safe to say it's not hitting where I am from directly. We might have some effects later today, but nothing too serious, probably less effects than the direct hit from Tropical Storm Cindy earlier this week. We're very lucky, but these things just suck so much to deal with. I was seriously considering staying over in Destin over this weekend. I'm glad I left Thursday when I did.

Between one of the exits in Pensacola and the bridge with the temporary steel on I-10, it's just an absolute mess. I didn't see any of Pensacola beach when I was around the area, but I can only imagine that it's worse than around the interstate. We're planning a family vacation over there around Thanksgiving, I'm afraid that everything there will be back to square one in terms of repairs again.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 10 July 2005 - 11:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users