6 replies to this topic

#1 Turkey

Turkey

NI!

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

Hi everybody,

I just thought I'd better pass along a lesson to all of you that I recently learned the hard way.

The other day my wife and I became concerned that our cat might have been exposed to fleas. We decided to get him some of the drops that are commonly available for treating this problem. These drops work by being dropped onto the back of the neck, where the pet will not be able to get at them. They are absorbed into the skin and fur and poison the ticks and/or fleas.

I have used a common product called Frontline in the past and have never had any trouble. I never guessed, when I found another product at my local Petsmart, that it would cause me any problems. To my horror I found that within fifteen or twenty minutes of applying the medicine my poor cat was in a panic. He race around the house in a panic, hissing and spitting and lashing out. He also lost control of his bladder. At first, I didn't understand what was happening but I got online and found several stories written by folks that have used the same medicine over the years and severely sickened their pets, it appears that some my even have died. Many cats have had seizures as have dogs.

The product I used was called Biospot for Cats. They have another product for dogs (which is actually even more dangerous for cats than the cat product). I advise anyone with a pet not to use this stuff. Also, stay away from Hartz products. They are also awfully dangerous for your pets.

My cat seems fine now, I took the step of immediately washing the stuff off of him with lots of warm water and dishsoap (the only thing that would get the slimy stuff out). Luckily my wife was here to help me, I'm not sure if I could have restrained my poor panicking cat on my own.

Here is a relevant link:

Biospot Letters

I hope this doesn't happen to any of you. It was really frightening.

We shall say 'ni' to you again if you do not appease us!

#2 CelticWing34

CelticWing34

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the heads up, man. I appreciate it.
B! E! L! L! I! S! S! I! M! O! What does that spell? Bellissimo! And what does it mean? Sooo beautiful!

user posted image

#3 cap20066

cap20066

Finch

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:11 PM

Unfortuneately those kind of things can happen when you shop at PetCo or Petsmart.
I'm Good

#4 Turkey

Turkey

NI!

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:28 PM

Where do you advise shopping?
We shall say 'ni' to you again if you do not appease us!

#5 cap20066

cap20066

Finch

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:48 AM

Usually locally owned petstores keep a much closer eye on quality control then large chains.
I'm Good

#6 Grind Line 33

Grind Line 33

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

I don't personally feel it has much to do with where you buy the product. It's mostly a matter of being informed about the differences between the apparent "lookalike" products. BioSpot contains a highly toxic pesticide and it is really a shame that most people don't realize the dangers of using it.

The biggest lesson I learned early on when I got my first dog is that I have to be the biggest guardian of my pets' welfare. There are so many products out there available for sale to an unknowing public that can be harmful and dangerous to your pets, from poor quality plastic chew toys to poisonous pest control products to the vast majority of commercial dog foods which are full of carcinogins and cheap by-product protein sources that if people knew what they really were they would be horrified. For more information:
Food Pets Die For
What's Really in Pet Food
Dog Eat Dog -- What's Inside the Food We Feed

The best advice I can give (and I do give it to anyone I feel I can get to listen) is to research, research, research. Just because it's for sale doesn't mean it's safe. Only you can protect your pets from the potentially dangerous products out there. Afterall, to you they are members of your family. But to so many other people and companies looking only for your money they're "just animals."

Edited by Grind Line 33, 07 July 2005 - 09:29 AM.

#7 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:12 PM

Wow Turkey - I'm glad your cat has recovered. What a scary story. And how sad it is that stores continue to sell this product.
There's no place like Hockeytown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users