• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WestWing

Defending Detroit

Rate this topic

Pretty cool article - thanks for sharing!

Too bad he doesn't mention that the crime rate in Detroit is way, way lower than perceived by most people. In fact, downtown Detroit has a lower violent crime rate than the downtown area of most major cities.

(yeah, there is more crime in outlying areas of the city than in downtown, but this is still a far safer city than most people think. Detroit is a big city with some areas of crime, just like every other major city in the country).

Still, a big thumbs up to the writer for talking about what a great sports scene we have here.

In watching the all-star game coverage on ESPN during the derby yesterday, you can tell just how little hockey is watched on the national scene. They talked all about the 2004 Ryder Cup, next year's super bowl, the Pistons, and the all-star stuff, but nothing about how this is first and foremost a HOCKEY town. Too bad.

It's about time someone recognized......Detroit what.......

His whole article was true including "The Pistons won a championship last year, and should've repeated this year." But they decided to play like jack-asses the last game, nah, they felt bad for Timmy and wanted to let him win so he could regain his superstar status back.

I always get into this argument with people out here about whether Detroit or Denver is a better sports town. The rhetorically response I always get is "well Detroit is just a dump" from people who have never been there. I just ignore them, there are certainly plenty of places out here that qualify as "dumps". I hope the All-Star game and Superbowl can help revive the city.

I was downtown for the first time in a while a week before the All-Star Game (Washington Blvd, to be specific) and there is a TON going on down there.

Granted, when I was there the street was torn up and dirt was everywhere, but they were putting in a nice grass median running down Washington complete with saplings and some nice early 20th century style streetlights. It looked great.

I always get into this argument with people out here about whether Detroit or Denver is a better sports town. The rhetorically response I always get is "well Detroit is just a dump" from people who have never been there. I just ignore them, there are certainly plenty of places out here that qualify as "dumps". I hope the All-Star game and Superbowl can help revive the city.

it's a weird situation

i've seen both extensively. most avalanche fans are classless pieces of s**t and have shown it. most bronco fans are classy and have shown it. it's weird how they can be/act so different.

I was downtown for the first time in a while a week before the All-Star Game (Washington Blvd, to be specific) and there is a TON going on down there.

Granted, when I was there the street was torn up and dirt was everywhere, but they were putting in a nice grass median running down Washington complete with saplings and some nice early 20th century style streetlights. It looked great.

Two words....SUPER BOWL

The city has one shot at doing the game right

Yeah, it's amazing how many people diss Detroit that have never been here, or haven't been here in 10 or 20 years.

Some of the worst offenders are people who live in the metro Detroit area, too.