• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:50 AM

What are some of the best rivalries out there in any level of competition, popular or more hidden and important to you? In no particular rank or order, here's mine...

Detroit Red Wings vs. Colorado Avalanche

Michigan Wolverines vs. Ohio State Buckeyes

Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma Sooners

Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees

TCU Horned Frogs vs. Louisville Cardinals...more of a personal, it's a shame we both aren't in the same conference anymore, when my school joined C-USA in 2000, it was turning into a pretty good rivalry between the schools especially in football because we beat them three years straight, two where we whipped the snot out of them (37-22, 45-31) as pretty big underdogs, then Louisville had their awesome year last season and smoked everybody in their path, TCU included

USC Trojans vs. Notre Dame Irish

LSU Tigers vs. Mississippi Rebels...more of a personal as I'm a big LSU fan

Which is the bigger rival to Michigan though, OSU or MSU?

I could go on and on with other more regional or lesser-known rivalries, but I'll leave that up to other posts. As you can probably tell, I'm as big of a college football junkie as I am a hockey goof. smile.gif

#2 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:23 AM

Michigan-Ohio State is the best college rivalry bar none
Red Sox v Yankees is still WAY to one sided to call a rivalry, but it is nontheless a great rivalry

Steelers v Ravens is turning into a huge rivalry in the NFL. Those two teams talk more junk against each other than I dont know what.

The Wings Avs rivalry seems to be fading some as players change and go away, we'll see how it shakes up in the next few seasons.
NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

#3 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ July 16, 2005 - 09:50AM)
Which is the bigger rival to Michigan though, OSU or MSU?

I really think it depends on the sport.

In football, Michigan v. OSU wins hands down.

But in all other sports, especially hockey, I think MSU v. Michigan is bigger.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#4 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:25 PM

It doesnt get better than OSU - scUM for me.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#5 hawkupaloogie

hawkupaloogie

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:37 AM

NMU vs. MTU

Tech women are husky! biggrin.gif
IPB Image

#6 KungFuJesus

KungFuJesus

KunFuAsshat

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:55 AM

broncos/chiefs or broncos/raiders is a great rivalry

wings/avs is the best hockey rivalry of the past 15 years.

college rivalries are good i hear, except i don't watch college sports.

#7 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:18 AM

USC/Irish?

Funny, the Irish are more concerned about UM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#8 LondonWing

LondonWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:44 AM

You have mentioned some good rivalries here guys n gals. But they all pale into insignificnce when compared to the two Glasgow soccer clubs Rangers & Celtic.

These two clubs are seperated on religious grounds, Rangers are protestant and Celtic are catholic. This seperation goes beyond just the fans and extends to the management and until the late 80s the players. Neither club would sign a player from the other 'faith'.

Aside from the sectarian issues of the two clubs both of them have dominated Scottish soccer for over a century with Rangers winning over 50 championships and Celtic not a long way behind. Every year it is a battle between these two for the championship, this years being one of the closest ever with Rangers winning it on the last day after Celtic blew a 1-0 lead in the last two minutes to lose to Motherwell 2-1 and hand Rangers the championship.

The games betwwen the two provide an atmosphere in the stadium that cannot be described and just watching it on TV is incredible. Anyone who has played in these games or just attended will tell you it is like no other.

All my family originates from Glasgow so I know first hand the hatred there is between these clubs.

I shall leave it at this: My Dad's family left Glasgow when he was a small child in the 50's and moved to Kalamazoo and when he started to follow Notre Dame in his early teens he was almost kicked out the house ohmy.gif

#9 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ July 16, 2005 - 05:12PM)
I really think it depends on the sport.

In football, Michigan v. OSU wins hands down.

But in all other sports, especially hockey, I think MSU v. Michigan is bigger.

I agree. I think U-M/MSU are only rivals in hockey. I think the fans just hate eachother.

In basketball MSU's big game of the year isn't against U-M, its not even one of the top games of the year for them. Instead, their big game is against Illonois, Wisconson, or a big time non conference team such as Duke.

While in football U-M's big game isn't against MSU. Instead U-M is always looking at Notre Dame, and ultimitley the Buckeyes. Even Iowa is starting to become bigger and bigger for Michigan.

But nothing gets better then watching U-M vs MSU in hockey. They are all friends because of Juinor hockey, but they hate eachother when the game is on. I love it.

#10 cflames89

cflames89

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (LondonWing @ July 18, 2005 - 09:44AM)
You have mentioned some good rivalries here guys n gals. But they all pale into insignificnce when compared to the two Glasgow soccer clubs Rangers & Celtic.

I agree in full. Watching their games on TV is pretty scary, and nothing beats the old pic I saw a couple of years ago of the crowd in a game, left half Celtic, right half Ranger, and no mingling what so ever. You don't see that anywhere else.

#11 sayiajinman

sayiajinman

undefeated! WOo

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

REAL MADRID v. FC BARCELONA

football <-- thats right! not that 'soccer'

this is one of the biggest rivalries in all of sports. its more than just players hating each other. theres all this political issues behind it.

i was watching a documentary of it.... WOW thumbup.gif
user posted image

new sig! you like?

#12 wings1936

wings1936

Starting D

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE (mannysBETTER3434 @ July 20, 2005 - 03:16PM)

But in all other sports, especially hockey, I think MSU v. Michigan is bigger. [/QUOTE]
I agree. I think U-M/MSU are only rivals in hockey. I think the fans just hate eachother.

In basketball MSU's big game of the year isn't against U-M, its not even one of the top games of the year for them. Instead, their big game is against Illonois, Wisconson, or a big time non conference team such as Duke.

Very true. I sat in the lower bowl izzone this past year, and although we gave uofm more crap than anyother team, it wasn't all that big of a game (we of course had fun with Horton, and the guys behind me found out that one of the guy's older sister was a professional dancer in NYC). But i'd say even wisc. or IU is more of a bigger rival than uofm.

Other favorite rivalries not mentioned include....

Texas vs. Texas A&M (much like uofm-msu this one has taken a back seat to Tex-OU, but always a good one)

Army vs. Navy (they both usually suck so its always a good game)

Florida vs. FSU (two top teams always slugging it out)

USA vs. Canada (hockey, but the murderball one was pretty intense for anyone who saw the movie)

UNC vs. Duke (8 miles and a shade of blue seperates these two schools)

Leafs and Canadians (surprised no one said this one yet)

Lakers vs. Celtics (back in the day)

(i'm sure i'll think of some more when i finally get some sleep, and i'll post them tomorrow)

#13 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (wings1936 @ August 10, 2005 - 05:42AM)
Texas vs. Texas A&M (much like uofm-msu this one has taken a back seat to Tex-OU, but always a good one)

I think this game is a lot like the MSU v. scUM game in that one team, the Aggies cares more about it than the other team does. Texas v. OU seems to have more bowl and Big 12 championship implications than the A&M game, so I'm sure the Horns get more fired up for this one.

BTW, nice avatar. Mmmm....Shiner beerchug.gif

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#14 LondonWing

LondonWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (sayiajinman @ August 9, 2005 - 07:16PM)
REAL MADRID v. FC BARCELONA

football <-- thats right! not that 'soccer'

this is one of the biggest rivalries in all of sports. its more than just players hating each other. theres all this political issues behind it.

i was watching a documentary of it.... WOW thumbup.gif

That's a pretty intense rivalry for sure. People from Barcalona don't see themselves as Spanish but as Catalans and resent being a part of Spain so games with Real Madrid take on another meaning.

Still a long way behind Rangers and Celtic though!

#15 wings1936

wings1936

Starting D

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ August 10, 2005 - 11:13AM)
I think this game is a lot like the MSU v. scUM game in that one team, the Aggies cares more about it than the other team does. Texas v. OU seems to have more bowl and Big 12 championship implications than the A&M game, so I'm sure the Horns get more fired up for this one.

BTW, nice avatar. Mmmm....Shiner beerchug.gif

Haha it is a tasty beer, and I do miss it when i'm in michigan. And if anyone knows where i can get it in michigan please let me know!

Couldn't agree with you more. I lived in Austin for 19 years, before moving up to michigan for msu. Back in the early-mid 90's ut-a&m was big, because it kept on going back and forth, and UT could be OU pretty easily. The whole OU thing has really gained fuel over the past 5 years cause thats how long its been since UT has beaten OU. I can't wait for this years game!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users