• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bliz

2003 Draft Picks

Rate this topic

If E.J. Hradek's information is correct, the Wings (along with all other clubs) must sign their 2003 draft picks or let their re-enter this year's draft. It goes without saying that the Wings aren't about to let Jimmy Howard walk out the door.

Let's assume Howard is signed. What then? I think returning to Maine would be out of the question after signing a pro contract, but I'm not sure what the NCAA's rules are. He's probably not NHL-ready, so that leaves somwhere in the minor leagues.

Also, which of the other 2003 draft picks should the Wings sign? Quincey's the other obvious keeper but who, if any, among the later picks are worth keeping?

Oulahen and Quincey. If Howard stays at Maine he's exempt from having to be signed. If he leaves college we have to sign him. Provided the rules stay the same in the new CBA.

peace

That's an interesting point... I wonder if the "Comrie Loophole" would change under the new CBA.

Regardless... the Grand Rapids Press has stated that the Wings are planning on signing him during the window.

Oulahen and Quincey.  If Howard stays at Maine he's exempt from having to be signed.  If he leaves college we have to sign him.  Provided the rules stay the same in the new CBA.

peace

That's an interesting point... I wonder if the "Comrie Loophole" would change under the new CBA.

Regardless... the Grand Rapids Press has stated that the Wings are planning on signing him during the window.

That's strange. I thought I heard Howard was going to stay in Maine one more year. Wouldn't signing with the Wings preclude that?

Oulahen and Quincey.  If Howard stays at Maine he's exempt from having to be signed.  If he leaves college we have to sign him.  Provided the rules stay the same in the new CBA.

peace

That's strange. I thought I heard Howard was going to stay in Maine one more year. Wouldn't signing with the Wings preclude that?

Yep, signing a pro contract would make him ineligible for the NCAA. From what I've read he's planning on going back to Maine but is interested in what Detroit offers.