• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Jedi

Jedi

Fire and Blood

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:37 AM

As many of you know, I work for Cingular Wireless. Often times, as it is with most retail stores, we get customers who have absolutely no clue about anything come through. Today was very much the icing on the cake.

This morning, we had a middle aged woman come in, complaining that there was no place on her cell phone to plug in the charger. She had spent the better part of her morning at home, looking for a way to charge up her phone. Nothing TOO unusual up until this point.

So when we asked to take a look at the phone to show her where to plug it in, what does she hand us? The remote control to her VCR, I kid you not!

Share any other office/workplace sillyness you guys have been a part of!

bdc4.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls..."

#2 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Jedi4Jesus @ July 20, 2005 - 10:37AM)
So when we asked to take a look at the phone to show her where to plug it in, what does she hand us? The remote control to her VCR, I kid you not!

W. T. F.

#3 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

Darwin Award written all over it...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#4 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:05 AM

Now, being in the mortgage business I have heard some really interesting things from clients, but I can't think of anything that can top confusing a remote with a cell phone.

The funniest one I remember right now is when a potential client, who had a 480 credit score and his wife had somewhere around a 492, was told that he needed a 720 credit score to get the loan he was looking for asked the loan officer why he couldn't just add his score and his wife's together.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#5 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:05 AM

The question is...

did you manage to keep a straight face, or did you burst out laughing right in front of her?

laugh.gif
There's no place like Hockeytown.

#6 Jedi

Jedi

Fire and Blood

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Mattias19 @ July 20, 2005 - 10:48AM)
W. T. F.

I've never had a problem keeping my composure in front of a customer, but this strained that composure more than ANYTHING else! I wanted to just DIE laughing right then and there!

So, to answer your question Muse, it was kind of a mix of both. I definately did NOT have a straight face, but I wasn't rolling on the floor (though I wanted to!).

Edited by Jedi4Jesus, 20 July 2005 - 10:08 AM.

bdc4.jpg

#7 Grind Line 33

Grind Line 33

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

I think my favorite thing when I managed a movie theater was always the people who asked us to "rewind" the movies for them if they were late. Now, I know most people don't really know what goes on up in a projection booth but you'd think they'd realize that maybe it's a little more complicated than a VCR...

The type of projector we used (not threaded):
user posted image

Film running off a top platter, going over to and through the projector, and winding back up on a middle platter (which it will then run off of, through the projector, and back up onto the top platter the next time it runs -- NO REWINDING!)
user posted image

A typical booth in a good sized multi-plex:
user posted image

I swear we got that request at least once a week. user posted image

There was also the day when the power was out in our area of town and a woman came to the theater and demanded to know when we'd be open again... When the power comes back on, maybe? blink.gif

#8 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

Wow.

And wow.

And also, wow.
And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

#9 ontariowingsfan

ontariowingsfan

season tickets!!!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

haha wow jedi!!!

that reminds me of a story. my grandma once said "she emailed everyone except me!" (my grandma has never ever ever ever even touched a computer)

i just laughed and said "awww gram" lol
I'm sooo gaga for Lidstrom Rules!
I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase

Red Wing season tickets AND the new Justin CD in the same day??!!???
Yes Brianne, there IS a Santa Claus!

#10 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,750 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:47 PM

LOL, wow. That is some funny stuff.

I work at a grocery store as a cashier, and sometimes it'll get slow and I'll have no one in my lane. Well, apparently an empty lane to some people leads them to think its not an open lane, even if I'm standing right there in plain sight behind my regsiter. So I get people who walk by me, stare at me for a second, and then go "....Are you open?"

DUH! Why else would I be standing here?! dry.gif

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#11 ontariowingsfan

ontariowingsfan

season tickets!!!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (wingsgirl001 @ July 20, 2005 - 09:47PM)
LOL, wow. That is some funny stuff.

I work at a grocery store as a cashier, and sometimes it'll get slow and I'll have no one in my lane. Well, apparently an empty lane to some people leads them to think its not an open lane, even if I'm standing right there in plain sight behind my regsiter. So I get people who walk by me, stare at me for a second, and then go "....Are you open?"

DUH! Why else would I be standing here?! dry.gif

you should just say "no" smile.gif

#12 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:16 PM

That's beyond amazement, and working at an amusement park when I was in high school, I saw a lot of acts of stupidity and clueless people not using any sense.

My bad if I missed this Jedi, but what did she tell you right after the handing of the remote control? That's probably yet even more amazing.

If I were you in that situation, I probably would have raised my eyebrows really high, been frozen to the ground for a few moments, then banged my head on the wall a few times. laugh.gif

#13 Jedi

Jedi

Fire and Blood

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ July 20, 2005 - 09:16PM)
My bad if I missed this Jedi, but what did she tell you right after the handing of the remote control? That's probably yet even more amazing.

She handed me the "phone", to which I informed her it was a remote control to a VCR. She stared at it for a few good seconds, before turning about as red as the top of this website! You could tell that when it finally hit her, she was REALLY embarassed about it!

We informed her to take it home, look for her ACTUAL phone, then if she still had problems, bring it up and we'll take a look at it.

She'll probably be back in tomorrow with a toaster oven!

bdc4.jpg

#14 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

Damn...a remote...that's funny!

I worked at Meijer when I was in college unloading trucks. It was nice because I didn't have to work with people and I got to work with all my buddies. Unfortunately, I also got stuck doing layaway. Now, no offense to any of you who use the layaway system, but people who use it are generally trash. No two ways about it.

Most of the trash are the people who abuse the layaway system. We had one family, mother, daughter, and the daughter's two bastard children, from two different baby daddies. How do I know that, you might ask? Because they were in my department a lot. They would come in on payday, put $75 worth of crap on layaway, then pay $5 on each of their 5 other layaways and ask me to extend them yet another two weeks. And they loved to talk about their personal life.

We had one lady who used to put underware on layaway. And not just a few pairs here and there, oh no. She bought the s**t in bulk. At any given time she would have $500 of women's panties on layaway. These weren't the usual white cotton boring stuff either, they were rather risque (for Meijer). I certainly didn't want a mental picture of her wearing the stuff either. She was probably 40, short, and for lack of a better term, dumpy. Eventually, she got a job at Meijer so she could get the employee discount. To this day, I have no idea what she did with the underware. I always assumed she sold it, but to who, and where? Its not like I worked at Victoria's Secret or someplace with nice stuff.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#15 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Jedi4Jesus @ July 20, 2005 - 08:20PM)

God I hope not! laugh.gif

I'll give her a chance to reedeem herself before I say that she's completely gone off the deep end. smile.gif

I shouldn't be too judgemental though, I had a recent act of stupidity after one of my windows just randomly shattered on the interstate recently, it was weird, no accident or anything and it just shattered. Anyways, when I talked to the glass repair company for the 1st time,I gave them the wrong window information, I thought it was a particular window and it wasn't, so I was a little peeved at myself.

Still....a remote? huh.gif

Maybe she was just in a rush with errands and accidentally grabbed the wrong device? Who knows...

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 20 July 2005 - 08:43 PM.

#16 ontariowingsfan

ontariowingsfan

season tickets!!!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Jedi4Jesus @ July 20, 2005 - 10:20PM)
She handed me the "phone", to which I informed her it was a remote control to a VCR. She stared at it for a few good seconds, before turning about as red as the top of this website! You could tell that when it finally hit her, she was REALLY embarassed about it!

We informed her to take it home, look for her ACTUAL phone, then if she still had problems, bring it up and we'll take a look at it.

or the whole VCR

#17 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:22 AM

Well I do tech support for the university, so you can imagine some of the fun calls I get.

The best is the crazy ex-professor who calls here and asks the most RANDOM things. Well, we think he's an ex-professor, he has the tendency to lie a lot. We call him The Stutterer, because he lets you know at the beginning of every call that he stutters. His most bizarre call was when he called to ask what horses are best for snow travel because his son-in-law had been kidnapped and he had to go to the Appalachian Mountains to save him.

The last call I took from him was two weeks ago, and he was calling to get the number for Meridian Township because they were building somewhere and he fell and broke his ankle around that area and he wanted to call and tell them. This is after he had called the day before wanting to talk to a med student about broken ankles. I told him he might want to see a doctor but he told me "nobody wants to go to the doctor." During this conversation he also told me that he used to jump out of airplanes to put out fires, and he told me never to jump out of an airplane.

Crazy is fun.
And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

#18 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (MSUDoubleJ19 @ July 21, 2005 - 09:22AM)
Well I do tech support for the university, so you can imagine some of the fun calls I get.

The best is the crazy ex-professor who calls here and asks the most RANDOM things.  Well, we think he's an ex-professor, he has the tendency to lie a lot.  We call him The Stutterer, because he lets you know at the beginning of every call that he stutters.  His most bizarre call was when he called to ask what horses are best for snow travel because his son-in-law had been kidnapped and he had to go to the Appalachian Mountains to save him.

The last call I took from him was two weeks ago, and he was calling to get the number for Meridian Township because they were building somewhere and he fell and broke his ankle around that area and he wanted to call and tell them.  This is after he had called the day before wanting to talk to a med student about broken ankles.  I told him he might want to see a doctor but he told me "nobody wants to go to the doctor."  During this conversation he also told me that he used to jump out of airplanes to put out fires, and he told me never to jump out of an airplane.

Crazy is fun.

So, do you humor him? Make up crazy bs to see what he says?

"You really should call the Anheuser-Busch company and rent their Clydesdales. They have been proven to be the best horse breed for snow rescue and beer delivery."

"I'd heard Meridian Township created a 'Safe Ankle Zone' for all construction workers. In addition to wearing hard hats, they now need to wear ankle braces and knee pads."

"You know, the last time I jumped out of an airplane to put out a fire, it occurred to me on the way down that it would be more effective if I'd carried a bucket of water before I jumped. Thanks for the tip."

Edited by Muse, 21 July 2005 - 09:12 AM.

#19 daft_davy

daft_davy

hypnotic!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:40 AM

As many of you know, I work for Cingular Wireless. Often times, as it is with most retail stores, we get customers who have absolutely no clue about anything come through. Today was very much the icing on the cake.

This morning, we had a middle aged woman come in, complaining that there was no place on her cell phone to plug in the charger. She had spent the better part of her morning at home, looking for a way to charge up her phone. Nothing TOO unusual up until this point.

Share any other office/workplace sillyness you guys have been a part of!

OMFG.

was she a blonde? (hahahahah just kidding) laugh.gif

#20 gsusluvshockey

gsusluvshockey

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:48 AM

This isn't from the workplace but it's amusing nonetheless.

My grandmother is an engineer for GE's military aircraft engine department. She was one of the first women hired in that department. She is a genius, plain and simple.
She bought her first DVD player about two years ago and my uncle and I decided to rent some movies and watch them with her.
After watching a movie my uncle and I stood up to walk into the other room and my uncle jokingly said, "Please be kind and Rewind." Then, almost in a panic, my grandmother said, "Wait, I don't know how to rewind these things!!!"

We instantly fell to the floor laughing. I just couldn't help but to remind her that she made airplanes fly.

Hockey is 90% mental. The other half is physical.
http://www.letsgowin...?act=boardrules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users