• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Grind_Lines_#1_Fan

Grind_Lines_#1_Fan

Grinder

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (mattcorpolongo @ July 20, 2005 - 08:13PM)
I'll start off with this, Chris Shelton and Magglio Ordonez are really playing well!

As for playoffs, with Farnsworth about to be suspended, their relief wont be as strong for 2-5 games, and since Trammel is barely playing Jamie Walker..and too much of the crummy pitchers, Doug Creek - Craig Dingman. Trammel does not know when to take pitchers out and leave them in as well. He should be fired after this season. I don't see a playoff run this year, unfortunatly. I hope they can prove me wrong!

5 Reasons for not making playoffs:
1. Dmitri Young (PLaying horrible) !
2. Carlos Guillen (No homers- no RBI's)
3. Nook Logan (Can't hit)
4. Doug Creek, Craig Dingman, Kevin Hooper (These guys should be in AAA. They have no reason to be here)
5. Trammel- Really making some bad moves this year.

Obviously youre behind or just dont like the tigers
1. Hooper, and Creek are in AAA and the only reason Dingmans here is because of the injury of Troy Percival.

2. Have you saw what Nook Logan can do when he is in the outfield and he is young and very fast it was a nice steal from the minors.

3. Trammell should not be fired because of injuries. Last year was no excuse to do poor but before that the Tigers had guys like Robert Fick as the team all star its not his fault. Now he has plenty to work with and there is no reason for there bad play.

4 Young is not doing very good as of late but i dont think that the three run Homer in the 8th last night was bad news on his part

5 Guillen is just coming out of an injury recently and still has his great moves at Short Stop

#22 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

Only 4 games out of the Wild Card!!

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#23 3Hasek9

3Hasek9

Penn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

i still don't think we'll make the playoffs. we have devastating consistency issues.

the only time we score runs is when the pitching is truly indomitable and the runs are icing.

when we need runs, we either can't score them for our lives, or we score them in the late innings when they have zero consequence since they bring us within 5 of the tie. then we stop scorign at that point.

tigers rotation can be unhittable. we have three guys with ERA's below 4. jj's above 4 but is ninth in the al in quality starts. maroth's our only weak spot, yet he compares mroe than favorably to the back end of the twins', a's, and sox's rotations. not to mention mr.5th in k's, second in wins bonderman.

the bullpen can be fantastic as farns and rodney will testify to. not to mentioned german and walker.

we lead the league in hits for july. yet we can't get the runs across the plate or get timely runs (last night was a wonderful exception).

until the team can click on all cylinders all the time, we'll be a .500 club with postseason hopes being nothing than that: hopes.

#24 mattcorpolongo

mattcorpolongo

He is Detroit

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (Grind_Lines_#1_Fan @ July 27, 2005 - 12:23PM)
5 Reasons for not making playoffs:
1. Dmitri Young (PLaying horrible) !
2. Carlos Guillen (No homers- no RBI's)
3. Nook Logan (Can't hit)
4. Doug Creek, Craig Dingman, Kevin Hooper (These guys should be in AAA. They have no reason to be here)
5. Trammel- Really making some bad moves this year. [/QUOTE]

Obviously youre behind or just dont like the tigers
1. Hooper, and Creek are in AAA and the only reason Dingmans here is because of the injury of Troy Percival.

2. Have you saw what Nook Logan can do when he is in the outfield and he is young and very fast it was a nice steal from the minors.

3. Trammell should not be fired because of injuries. Last year was no excuse to do poor but before that the Tigers had guys like Robert Fick as the team all star its not his fault. Now he has plenty to work with and there is no reason for there bad play.

4 Young is not doing very good as of late but i dont think that the three run Homer in the 8th last night was bad news on his part

5 Guillen is just coming out of an injury recently and still has his great moves at Short Stop

1. Obviously your behind. They sent Hooper and Creek down 5 days after I wrote that.

2. Nook Logan isn't a power hitter, he sometimes make lazy plays in the outfield. Yes, he's fast, but, Curtis Granderson is an allround better player, with more potential...

3. Trammel should and will be fired. Injuries have nothing to do with his poor decisions. He leaves pitchers in too long, then they get burned, or he'll take a pitcher out, who has a few good innings left in him and puts in a reliever who blows it.

4. Dmitri Young has picked it up the last few games. He just needs to continue. he has 17 homers and 50 RBI's with a 2 something average.....he needs to improve his RBI count and raise his average....

5. I understand Guillen is comming off an injury. He starting to get back to where he should be, but because he didn't have a good first half...we wont make playoffs..

#25 3Hasek9

3Hasek9

Penn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (mattcorpolongo @ July 27, 2005 - 03:32PM)
2. Nook Logan isn't a power hitter, he sometimes make lazy plays in the outfield. Yes, he's fast, but, Curtis Granderson is an allround better player, with more potential...

so what that he's not a power hitter? what the hell difference does that make. ichiro, pierre, izturis, eckstein, and many others are excellent players that don't hit for power.

logan has been called the fastest player in baseball. he has a real nice arm. regardless of what you want to say, he might be our best fielder (check the highlight reels: robbing a couple home runs in some games doesn't qualify as lazy-granted, you did say sometimes). he's made some errors, but he's also made some great plays. he's got a better glove than granderson, who many have tabbed as a corner outfielder. also, logan looks to have dominant leadoff stuff. unfortuneately, he's been slumping bad the last month, but if you dropped a guy when a slumps for a month, then neither inge nor pudge would be playign for us.

granderson's great, but keep in mind that he's a call up. he'll be ready next year, but this year is pushing it a little.

3. Trammel should and will be fired. Injuries have nothing to do with his poor decisions. He leaves pitchers in too long, then they get burned, or he'll take a pitcher out, who has a few good innings left in him and puts in a reliever who blows it.

look at other manager's decisions and compare what's out there. guys like mazzilli, gardenhire, manuel, wedge, and even guillen have made much worse moves more frequently.

4. Dmitri Young has picked it up the last few games. He just needs to continue. he has 17 homers and 50 RBI's with a 2 something average.....he needs to improve his RBI count and raise his average....

dy's ops, and his rankings in both contributing categories, is his than that of pudge. ultimately, it means pudge contributes less offensively than dy.

#26 twins1729

twins1729

Slash Queens

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ July 27, 2005 - 12:28PM)
Only 4 games out of the Wild Card!!

Yahoo!!!!!!! yowza.gif thumbup.gif biggrin.gif

#27 3Hasek9

3Hasek9

Penn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

it's games liek tonight that show why we won't make the playoffs.

9-2 loss to the mariners. the mariners!!!

maorth walks 4, hits one, gets hit 5 times, and surrenders 3 earned in his 1 and 2/3 of work.

an error on one of the most basic plays scores three.

we lost a series to seattle in july.

we're one game below .500 in the last week of july.

we're not making the playoffs.

#28 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (3Hasek9 @ July 28, 2005 - 02:19AM)
it's games liek tonight that show why we won't make the playoffs.

9-2 loss to the mariners. the mariners!!!

maorth walks 4, hits one, gets hit 5 times, and surrenders 3 earned in his 1 and 2/3 of work.

an error on one of the most basic plays scores three.

we lost a series to seattle in july.

we're one game below .500 in the last week of july.

we're not making the playoffs.

The Tigers still have plenty of chance to make the playoffs.

Thay are 4.5 games out, with 61 games to play. The team has played well for the most part all month, and is two games over .500 for July.

They play a 3-gamer vs Oakland to end the month.

Next month they have 3 vs Seattle, 6 vs Cleveland, 6 vs Boston, 7 vs Toronto, 3 vs Oakland, and 3 vs KC.

They should be able to win: 1 from Boston, 3 from Cleveland, 5 from Toronto, 2 from Seattle, 1 vs Oakland, and 2 vs KC. That's 14 wins in 28 games. If they do anything exceptional (like sweep Boston) they could definitely get to the 20-win mark.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#29 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

Trammell isn't going anywhere. And really, who should the Tigers get to manage? I know there's a lot of people who think Tram should be gone, but I never hear who should replace him.

I wouldn't mind them trading Maroth now. I heard on another board there's a rumor the Marlins want to trade Burnett for Maroth and Granderson. I'd love to see Maroth go, but no way would I want to lose Granderson. Give them Logan instead.

#30 3Hasek9

3Hasek9

Penn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ July 28, 2005 - 02:36AM)
The Tigers still have plenty of chance to make the playoffs.

Thay are 4.5 games out, with 61 games to play. The team has played well for the most part all month, and is two games over .500 for July.

They play a 3-gamer vs Oakland to end the month.

Next month they have 3 vs Seattle, 6 vs Cleveland, 6 vs Boston, 7 vs Toronto, 3 vs Oakland, and 3 vs KC.

They should be able to win: 1 from Boston, 3 from Cleveland, 5 from Toronto, 2 from Seattle, 1 vs Oakland, and 2 vs KC. That's 14 wins in 28 games. If they do anything exceptional (like sweep Boston) they could definitely get to the 20-win mark.

4.5 games is a lot to be back with three days left in july.

i think everyone, even those that believe wholly in the tigers, recognize the impossibility of cachign up to the whitesox.

that means, to make the playoffs, the tigers must finish ahead of texas, baltimore, oakland, minnesota, cleveland, and the yankees (idc about toronto).

two games over .500 in a month in which we lead the league in hits isn't good. in fact, it's quite bad.

going by your "should be" reasoning, we shoudl have won the series against seattle. we should have done more than split the series against kc just after the all star break.

for the rest of the season, we play 15 games against teams with less than .500 records.

discluding us from that below.500 group (idk why i would do that, but i did), this is the amount of games our wild card competition has against sub-.500 clubs.

oakland: 12
baltimore:12
cleveland:20
minnesota:14
yankees: 16
texas:20

three wild card teams have more games against sub .500 clubs than us.

i love the tigers. i picked them for 90 wins before the season. i picked them for 86 wins at the beginnign of june.

i'm now hoping for 84, and i realize that there's no chance we're gonna get past 6 teams with comparabel schedules and better records.

#31 3Hasek9

3Hasek9

Penn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ July 28, 2005 - 11:55AM)
Trammell isn't going anywhere. And really, who should the Tigers get to manage? I know there's a lot of people who think Tram should be gone, but I never hear who should replace him.

I wouldn't mind them trading Maroth now. I heard on another board there's a rumor the Marlins want to trade Burnett for Maroth and Granderson. I'd love to see Maroth go, but no way would I want to lose Granderson. Give them Logan instead.

marlins aren't gonna make that deal.

the only way they would take a package with a pitcher that doesn't help them now is if they can give away lowell and his contract.

the only way we're getting burnett is if he signs with us in the off-season.

#32 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, I know the Marlins would never take that deal. I'd still like to trade Maroth though, and Johnson too.

Back to 5 games out of the wild card and a three game series against wild card leader Oakland. Tonight, Robertson v. Zito.

#33 mattcorpolongo

mattcorpolongo

He is Detroit

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

I'm begining to believe the Tigers enjoy losing. Today, they traded their top reliever, Kyle Farnsworth for 2 crummey picthers, Roman Colon, 1-2 with a 3.09 ERA as a starter, 0-3 as a reliever with a 7.71 ERA..and Zach Miner 2-7, with a 4.23 ERA.....What the hell is that!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users