8 replies to this topic

#1 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

http://www.thefourth.../bos050721.html

Under the rules of the NHL's new collective bargaining agreement, Bruins' forward Joe Thornton and Sergei Samsonov can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
As the Boston Globe reports, unless the Bruins sign both stars to multi-year deals, each player will be on target to leave town next July.

Thornton will undoubtedly seek the maximum deal allowed in the new CBA, which is $7.8 million per year. His arbitration award last summer was $6.75 million, but that will be trimmed to a $5.13 million qualifying offer for 2005-06.

If the Bruins aren't willing to give Thornton top dollar, and the Globe suggests they'll pass, then it makes little sense to keep Thornton on the books next season.
Thornton's trade-value is currently at a high, and the Globe claims teams like Florida, Toronto and Detroit would love to get their hands on the 26-year-old.

The Panthers certainly have the cap room to go after Thornton. Their GM, Mike Keenan, would covet Thornton like no other player, and the return package would have to start with defenseman Jay Bouwmeester.

As for Samsonov, his price tag is not as high as Thornton's, but would likely need an annual salary in the $4 million to $4.5 million range to stay in Boston.

He may also choose to walk next summer, and the Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks could jump on him.

Samsonov's his wife is from Detroit, and his family lives there during the off-season. The Wings, however, may not have the financial resources to bring him Samsonov, or Thornton for that matter, but the Blackhawks have tons of spending room.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#2 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:28 PM

Man...Thornton would look pretty sweet wearing red and white.

Not going to get hopes up, at all though.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#3 Henkka

Henkka

Finnish Wing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Columbus should trade Thornton. They were awesome with Nash at World Chamionships.

Nash - Thornton - Zherdev, not bad. ph34r.gif
user posted imageuser posted image

#4 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Henkka @ July 22, 2005 - 06:36PM)
Columbus should trade Thornton. They were awesome with Nash at World Chamionships.

Nash - Thornton - Zherdev, not bad. ph34r.gif

Columbus is Nash and Zherdev - If you were Boston - who would you ask for???
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#5 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:39 AM

Joes gonna end up with Keenan, you wait and see.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#6 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:41 AM

It would probably take Jokinen or Kozlov in addition to Bouwmeester.

Would be awesome for Florida though, regardless of the cost.

Speaking of Florida...don't be shocked if Whitney ends up back there. Especially if they pick up Thornton.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#7 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:54 PM

Bruins want free agents back

TheFourthPeriod.com

http://www.thefourth.../bos050724.html

Bruins GM Mike O'Connell will be making offers this week to unrestricted free agents Marty Lapointe, Glen Murray and Sergei Gonchar, reports the Boston Globe.
Murray is the most likely to stay in Boston, says the Globe, while Lapointe and Gonchar could sign elsewhere this summer.

According to the paper, the Penguins could have real interest in getting Lapointe to Pittsburgh as a little more veteran support for phenom Sidney Crosby, while the Montreal Canadiens could also to make a play for Lapointe.

Gonchar has been rumored to be heading back to Washington, but he will most certainly receive offers for more than a dozen clubs this August.
Murray, meanwhile, will probably entertain offers from other clubs before making a decision and the Toronto Maple Leafs are expected to make a pitch for him.

#8 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ July 24, 2005 - 03:41AM)

Speaking of Florida...don't be shocked if Whitney ends up back there. Especially if they pick up Thornton.

No it won't. They easily have the option to put many other good packages together to send to Boston for Joe. Bouwmeester will not be traded by the Panthers.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#9 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE (Seth @ July 26, 2005 - 03:28AM)
QUOTE (eva unit zero @ July 24, 2005 - 03:41AM)

No it won't. They easily have the option to put many other good packages together to send to Boston for Joe. Bouwmeester will not be traded by the Panthers.

What I MEANT is that I doubt Boston would go for a Thornton-to-Florida deal that did NOT include Bouwmeester.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."