• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:15 PM

2. I think and Neil has said something along the lines of this a few times as well, that what more does Liv have to prove in the Swedish League? He's won many titles there, hes done his job and done it well. What more is there to do? simple. AHL
Ya hes in his 20s your upset hes not turning into the soild goalie he was projected to be? sh*t happens man, doesn't mean hes done.

That is the problem. He shoulda came over last year to continue his development. He had nothing left to accomplish, but didn't venture over here. As Barnes said, he'll be 25 in December and has no N.American hockey experience. If he doesn't come over now, he'll be pretty close to 30 before he can crack the line-up, if Howard lets him. Personally I would love to see him come over, from what I understand he's quite a character, but I doubt we'll ever find out.

#22 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (RyanBarnes! @ July 26, 2005 - 06:26PM)
QUOTE (Seth @ July 26, 2005 - 03:26AM)
QUOTE (RyanBarnes! @ July 24, 2005 - 06:15PM)
^ No, I think he's right on. It's kinda now or never for Liv. It's already been mentioned that Liv has regressed slightly and that management wants him to step up. He lost the starting job to Rangers prospect Lundquist at the 2004 World Championships and he was cut from the World Cup team later that year. He only shared backup responsibilities with Holmquist during this years World Championships (Holmquist played two periods, Liv none). 

I rank both Howard and McDonald ahead of Liv who will turn 25 in December. If he doesn't come this year, I'll take it as a sign that he will remain in Sweden throughout his career.

1. Holmquist is way better than Liv
2. I think and Neil has said something along the lines of this a few times as well, that what more does Liv have to prove in the Swedish League? He's won many titles there, hes done his job and done it well. What more is there to do? simple. AHL
Ya hes in his 20s your upset hes not turning into the soild goalie he was projected to be? sh*t happens man, doesn't mean hes done.

1. Holmquist or do you mean Lundquist?

2. I'm not upset at all. I'm just saying you guys expect too much from him. He's really not a top prospect anymore. He's got plenty to prove on the Nat. team, but he didn't.

i meant Lundquist sorry for the confuson.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#23 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ July 27, 2005 - 06:15PM)

That is the problem. He shoulda came over last year to continue his development. He had nothing left to accomplish, but didn't venture over here. As Barnes said, he'll be 25 in December and has no N.American hockey experience. If he doesn't come over now, he'll be pretty close to 30 before he can crack the line-up, if Howard lets him. Personally I would love to see him come over, from what I understand he's quite a character, but I doubt we'll ever find out.

This I agree with. I guess what gets me is posters here knockin on Liv for being a flop when its really not him at all, its management. He easily should have been over in the AHL by now and your right if hes not here by 2006 or 2007 he will be done. Be done with the wings and instead signed and properly handled by another team.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#24 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:36 AM

I would be sad to see Liv go elsewhere...I think even with his weaknesses he could star on several teams based on 03-04 rosters. He wouldn't be a top goalie by any means, but there are teams out there whose best tender was AHL-caliber.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#25 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

A small piece on Howard from today's Detroit News:

The Wings continue to negotiate with goaltender Jimmy Howard, whom they selected in the second round of the 2003 draft.

Howard is entering his senior year at the University of Maine, but the Wings are allowed to negotiate with him until school begins this fall. They would like to sign him and start his professional career.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#26 pavel13

pavel13

It's still confusing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (Seth @ July 30, 2005 - 10:12PM)

This I agree with. I guess what gets me is posters here knockin on Liv for being a flop when its really not him at all, its management. He easily should have been over in the AHL by now and your right if hes not here by 2006 or 2007 he will be done. Be done with the wings and instead signed and properly handled by another team.

It was Liv's choice to stay in Sweden after his team, HV 71, won the SEL championship. If he'd signed, he may have played well enough in the AHL last season to get considered as Detroit's backup this season. Instead, he stayed in Sweden, didn't play well, and now he will probably be in the NHL no sooner than 2007, if he ever comes over at all.

#27 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

From DetNews.com:

Contracts offered

Holland said the Wings have offered contracts to goalie Jimmy Howard and forward Valtteri Filppula, each of whom is a recent draft pick.

He expects a response from both this week.

Howard was a second-round pick in 2003. He would start his senior season at Maine in September. The Wings project him as starter in the NHL.

Filppula was a third-round selection in 2002 and has remained in Finland. But the Wings believe he is ready to make the jump to North America after several impressive seasons in Europe.

Howard and Filppula would begin their pro careers in Grand Rapids, the Wings' top minor-league affiliate.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#28 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (pavel13 @ August 1, 2005 - 10:42AM)
QUOTE (Seth @ July 30, 2005 - 10:12PM)

It was Liv's choice to stay in Sweden after his team, HV 71, won the SEL championship. If he'd signed, he may have played well enough in the AHL last season to get considered as Detroit's backup this season. Instead, he stayed in Sweden, didn't play well, and now he will probably be in the NHL no sooner than 2007, if he ever comes over at all.

Detroit has reportedly asked Liv to stay in Sweden this year even though Liv would rather come over because of the Brian Boucher incident last season. Speaking of the Boucher thing;

Liv's pre-Boucher stats
10 games, 3.62 GAA, .878 sv pct.

Liv's post-Boucher stats
30 games, 2.75 GAA, .898 sv pct.

Boucher's stats
4 games, 3.32 GAA, .883 sv pct.

#29 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

Detroit has reportedly asked Liv to stay in Sweden this year even though Liv would rather come over because of the Brian Boucher incident last season. Speaking of the Boucher thing;

Liv's pre-Boucher stats

Liv's post-Boucher stats

Boucher's stats

They said that Liv had a hard time because his team refused to pick up NHLers. Wonder if Boucher left a bad taste in their mouths. Any news on the status of Howard's contract?

#30 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 12, 2005 - 10:59AM)

Liv's pre-Boucher stats

Liv's post-Boucher stats

Boucher's stats

They said that Liv had a hard time because his team refused to pick up NHLers. Wonder if Boucher left a bad taste in their mouths. Any news on the status of Howard's contract?

Nothing I've been able to find.

Although the Liv/NHLers thing is accurate...
The list of NHLers to play for HV 71 last season:
Eriksson 32 games
Malhotra 20 games
Cheechoo 20 games
McCabe 10 games
Boucher 4 games

Considering that most other teams had NHL stars for the full season, it's hard to disagree with that assessment.

Edited by eva unit zero, 12 August 2005 - 10:04 AM.

#31 TNBT

TNBT

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (Henkka @ July 25, 2005 - 09:01AM)
What's the situation with the Griffins goalies?

Could this be our system?

Red Wings

1. Osgood/UFA-sign
2. MacDonald

Griffins

1. Howard
2. Liv

Or is there McIntyre still signed?

Where is Legace in that list?

From what I've come to believe, this would look more accurate:

WINGS:

1 - Osgood