• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Grind_Lines_#1_Fan

favorite wing never to win the cup in Detroit

Rate this topic

Who is your favorite wing never to win the cup in Detroit?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keith Primeau, but he was part of the trade for Shanahan so it was a player upgrade that was needed to win those cups, sorry Keith would have loved to see you win one.

Haha i was about to ask everyone where they were in 2008 when the Wings won a cup with Drake, and then I looked at the date of the posts. This is an oldy. I could have voted for Dino or Coffey, but I went 'other' because I really liked Curtis Joseph before he came to Detroit and would have loved for him to win a Cup with the Wings. He is one of the few players in the last 20-25 years that I think the Wings treated kind of poorly. Maybe that can be blamed on Hasek, but I never felt good about the way things went down with CuJo.

Dallas Drake.

Although Burr is a good one too.

Drake was and is a solid all-around player, great defensively, great hitter, good skater, and a nice shot.

Only reason he didn't stay in Detroit was that Murray bent to media pressure and dealt Cheveldae (worst trade the Wings have made in my lifetime imho...Bautin played 1 game, Essensa did not play much either.)

EDIT: Steve Chiasson also as at the top of my list...he was Detroit's first all-star defenseman in 13 years and he's among the most prolific blueline scorers to play for Detroit, was very good defensively and a nasty hitter.

Plus the combination of Konstantinov/Chiasson was just awesome.

You must not have been around for the Jimmy Carson deal. Or the Adam Oates deal. Bleh.

Guest Johnz96

Hossa

Too bad he suffered that shoulder injury or we probably woulda won back to back Cups. Babcock insisted on giving him top minutes despite the fact that he obviously had difficulties handling the puck, before I knew about the injury, I was thinking that he could be a double agent for the Pens. He took a huge pay cut in hopes of winning a Cup, probably the only player to appear in 3 consecutive Cup finals on 3 different teams

Like Vincent Riendeau, Adam Graves, Wendel Clark, and Yves Racine?

Gravey was never given time to grow here. You see what he did in Edmonton AND New York...He is also one guy I wish never got traded away, but indirectly he got us Shanahan so it's not like we failed without him...But ya, Vincent "I took a Dive" Riendeau farted here, along with Clark, Ulfie & Ranford. I think Racine did alright for the type of player he was on the type of team Detroit was back then, hell he may have fit in better with our D now!

You must not have been around for the Jimmy Carson deal. Or the Adam Oates deal. Bleh.

While both deals stunk...there is a HUGE difference between the two...The Oates trade eventually got us NOTHING in return. Mckegney lasted only a few games and was dealt to Quebec for Picard and Adams, both of whom played a few games with Detroit and retired the next season...Federko didn't pan out either, he pretty much stunk according to most people and then retired. But looking at his stats for that season, 17 goals 40 Assists for 57 points, hell, that Hudler/Franzen stats there! And we all know how "great" Franzen is...Hell maybe Federko wasnt so bad afterall! :lol:

anyhow, here is the huge difference...while acquiring Carson didn't seem to be the best deal (although he was playing 3rd line center behind Yzerman and Fedorov so I don't know how he was still expected to score 50 goals, hell he had two seasons here where he score 69 and 73 points all while playing behind Yzerman and Fedorov, but in the end, Jimmy was traded for Coffey who was traded for Shanahan, so that worked out pretty good if you ask me...

Guest Hatethedrake!

I really liked Dino when he was here and wished he could have been a part of those Wings cup wins in 97 and 98. However Bowman didn't like him and traded him to Tampa. He was even better than Homer was in front of the net and scored big goals. For a small guy he sure never was intimidated. Tough as nails.

I am not sure of what my actual answer to the question would be. Possibly Dino or Chaisson, as some others have said.

While this wouldn't be my answer, there's another name that I didn't see mentioned - Mathieu Schneider. I know he won the cup with Montreal, but I would have liked to have seen him win here.... specifically in 2007. I really felt like that team should have won, but the injuries to Schneider and Kronwall were the reason they didn't. And then they won the next year with Rafalski basically just filling Schneider's role.

Of course, he subsequently signed with Anaheim and that pissed me off, but still...

Also, from that year, I liked Danny Markov quite a bit... even though he was only in Detroit for that season. Robert Lang was already mentioned, although I didn't like him quite as much as the other two. I guess I just really thought that team would win. And I really hated Anaheim.

Like Vincent Riendeau, Adam Graves, Wendel Clark, and Yves Racine?

Yes those are some good examples. When I made my first post I was going actually name Clark. Another guy I forget the wings had until a week or so ago was Steve Thomas. I forget if I read it or watched it but I was like the hell? We had him? :blink:

What about Norm Ullman?

Certainly the best Red Wing never to win the Stanley Cup and one of the best in league history. I think it's a large part of why his number isn't retired by the Wings. Not that it's his fault, but he arrived after the Cup dynasty of the 50's ended.

I heard that he played in 5 Finals without winning one. Any truth to this? Must be a record.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I heard that he played in 5 Finals without winning one. Any truth to this? Must be a record.

If that is in fact true the damn that is some s***TY luck. I think I would live in a state of depression. Especially playing in the era that he did. Players then had a much greater chance to win obviously since there were 6 teams, then the expansion at the end of his career.

If that is in fact true the damn that is some s***TY luck. I think I would live in a state of depression. Especially playing in the era that he did. Players then had a much greater chance to win obviously since there were 6 teams, then the expansion at the end of his career.

It's true.

The Wings lost 5 Finals from '56-'66.

Ironically, he arrived in Detroit the year after they won their last Cup in 1955, and to Toronto a year after they won their last one in 1967!

Talk about s***ty luck indeed. :o